Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Euro 2020/1

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    4,739
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Euro 2020/1

    What a bizarre tournament. I can't work out why it's being played all over the place and it seems really strange with the tiny crowds.

    I seen a bit of the Italy game last night and there was about 10000 in the Stadio Olimpico, it just didn't look right.

    Just watching Wales v Switzerland now. Most of the Switzerland players names don't sound very Swiss.

  2. #2
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    46
    Posts
    8,412
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Why they gave games to Baku I've no idea. UEFA are always doing stupid stuff to push the game beyond its comfort zone in the pursuit of money. It didn't matter what the COVID capacity was there, the place was next to empty because the locals don't care and the place is so far away you'd have to be very committed to go.

    No thought given to fans who want to travel to watch their country, because once you've done Baku you could be playing a L16 game in one of several other cities. How is anyone supposed to plan for that? After the ESL idea UEFA seemed to get a free pass for their money grabbing immoral governing of the game, but they're not the good guys in this, they're just as bad as the rest.

    As it was, decent second half, quite enjoyed it.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    4,739
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Why they gave games to Baku I've no idea. UEFA are always doing stupid stuff to push the game beyond its comfort zone in the pursuit of money. It didn't matter what the COVID capacity was there, the place was next to empty because the locals don't care and the place is so far away you'd have to be very committed to go.

    No thought given to fans who want to travel to watch their country, because once you've done Baku you could be playing a L16 game in one of several other cities. How is anyone supposed to plan for that? After the ESL idea UEFA seemed to get a free pass for their money grabbing immoral governing of the game, but they're not the good guys in this, they're just as bad as the rest.

    As it was, decent second half, quite enjoyed it.
    Nothing to do with Baku being a mega wealthy city now with all the new oil money. I've never been there personally but I know plenty who have and have told me it's a corrupt, rip off, dump of a place. Add to that, the Azeri's aren't particularly interested in football compared to a lot European countries but it's the status of it, like they had the Europa League final too.

    As you say, the actual fans are the last ones taken into consideration. I done the Euro's in 2004 in Portugal and it was an excellent tournament, we based ourselves in Lisbon and could get anywhere in the country from there, add to that cheap ale, great food, stunning women and some great football and it was perfect. Don't try and fix what isn't broke (RFL take note).

    I've quite enjoyed the start of the tournament as it goes, even the Denmark V Finland game yesterday once it became clear Eriksen was OK. I have a bit of a soft spot for both countries and obviously the circumstances around the game wasn't ideal but it was good seeing so many fans back in the ground. Belgium are looking frighteningly good already, they could have had another 3 or 4 quite easily.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    4,739
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I have to say, a very solid opener from England and we deserved more than a 1-0 win. I thought Foden was wasted on the right and no way did Sterling deserve MOM, he was garbage apart from his goal however I thought Kalvin Phillips was superb in midfield, him and Rice didn't let Modric get a look in and to be honest, I thought Croatia had no real answers to us. I'm happy with that, fingers crossed we can give the sweaties a good hiding on Friday and that's pretty much job done as far as the group goes.

  5. #5
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    514
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    super wales on the march, one hand on the trophy already

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    4,739
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I'm actually really enjoying it so far and the different venues don't seem to have any bearing on it at all.

  7. #7
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    46
    Posts
    8,412
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'm actually really enjoying it so far and the different venues don't seem to have any bearing on it at all.
    Agreed, I went in to it thinking I'd skip a load of the group games because of the daft 'third place qualifiers' stuff mean games aren't as important as they should be, especially those France, Germany, Portugal games which would be huge if one knew they were going to get knocked out. But, I've enjoyed it, the football has been decent, the play acting (whilst still there) hasn't been nearly as bad as I feared, and every game has felt reasonably important. Germany v Portugal last night was a really fun game and bodes well for the rest of the comp given that I don't think more than a couple of teams can rely on their defence to win games.

  8. #8
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,804
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Agreed, I went in to it thinking I'd skip a load of the group games because of the daft 'third place qualifiers' stuff mean games aren't as important as they should be, especially those France, Germany, Portugal games which would be huge if one knew they were going to get knocked out. But, I've enjoyed it, the football has been decent, the play acting (whilst still there) hasn't been nearly as bad as I feared, and every game has felt reasonably important. Germany v Portugal last night was a really fun game and bodes well for the rest of the comp given that I don't think more than a couple of teams can rely on their defence to win games.
    I donít know what it is but Iíve found it hard to get enthused about the euros. Iíve still watched a lot of it because itís on and I like football but itís all felt a little sterile. Having 4 3rd place teams going through has taken away the jeopardy of a bad result possibly costing you going through. A big thing for me in international tournaments is the atmosphere generated as well and, aside from the games in Budapest, itís just not the same. Also probably doesnít help watching England knowing that 2nd place in the group would be a much easier route into the semis/final.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  9. #9
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    46
    Posts
    8,412
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I don’t know what it is but I’ve found it hard to get enthused about the euros. I’ve still watched a lot of it because it’s on and I like football but it’s all felt a little sterile. Having 4 3rd place teams going through has taken away the jeopardy of a bad result possibly costing you going through. A big thing for me in international tournaments is the atmosphere generated as well and, aside from the games in Budapest, it’s just not the same. Also probably doesn’t help watching England knowing that 2nd place in the group would be a much easier route into the semis/final.
    Completely agree about the 3rd place qualifiers, it drains the comp of that jeopardy you mention. It's typical UEFA, pandering to the smaller countries and pandering to the sponsors to cram as much football in as possible instead of making it an elite 16 team comp.

    As for England, not sure 2nd is the better option because it does mean France in the QFs most likely, and it also takes Wembley out of the equation in the L16. I still think Germany or Portugal at Wembley and then the winners of the Spain group in the QFs is the optimal way to go about things. Yes, finishing 2nd probably means an easier (on paper) L16 but down the line I think the bottom half of the draw is better as it avoids France and Belgium until the Final I think.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    5,853
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Completely agree about the 3rd place qualifiers, it drains the comp of that jeopardy you mention. It's typical UEFA, pandering to the smaller countries and pandering to the sponsors to cram as much football in as possible instead of making it an elite 16 team comp.


    Agree completely. There's only about a dozen countries that didn't qualify.

    Cheering for Germany and, if England beat them, will be cheering for whoever England play.

    Hate this country, and despise 'Ingerlund' knobheads.

  11. #11
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    46
    Posts
    8,412
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Agree completely. There's only about a dozen countries that didn't qualify.

    Cheering for Germany and, if England beat them, will be cheering for whoever England play.

    Hate this country, and despise 'Ingerlund' knobheads.
    I'm not massive into the England football team, always had an emotional distance from them unlike the cricket team which I follow passionately. But I've never veered down the 'cheer against them' path because it's pointless IMO. Your family are English, your mates are English, the country shaped you and what you believe in, warts and all. We all think the grass is greener on the other side, but we have alot going for us as a nation. Any issues with narrow minded attitudes apply to all countries, there is no country on earth that doesn't have this issue, but in terms of tolerance, open mindedness, diversity and creativity there are few that match us. When I was younger I just assumed we were different, that France, Germany, Italy, etc didn't have such people, that they were better places to live and were more enlightened. They aren't, they have all the same issues and most of them have them worse than us. So, as I say, I don't go mad about England but I don't want them to fail. 20 million+ will watch the game on Tuesday, from all walks of life, from all races, political persuasions, ages, etc, and they'll be wanting England to win. In the times we live in I'm quite heartened that there is something that can rally tens of millions together in one unifying cause, all wanting the same thing, and all happy if it goes well. What else out there right now can claim to do that? Wanting England to lose because you don't like the Tories or Brexit is pointless, because England losing won't change either of those things, but what it will do is make tens of millions of people angry and upset. Why actively root for that? On the other hand England winning will give the nation something that lifts tens of millions, brings the country together and gives us something massive to celebrate as a nation over and above the squabbles and disagreements we may have. Isn't that worth supporting?

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    5,853
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I know that that corrupt, fat, scarecrow-headed c*nt would milk it for all it's worth, and there'd be a wave of jingoistic reach-rounds.

  13. #13
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    46
    Posts
    8,412
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I know that that corrupt, fat, scarecrow-headed c*nt would milk it for all it's worth, and there'd be a wave of jingoistic reach-rounds.
    You're letting politics dominate other aspects of life. This has the potential to be an uplifting feel good moment for the nation and you're thinking about the Tories taking advantage of it, it's not a healthy attitude IMO mate.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    5,853
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    You're letting politics dominate other aspects of life. This has the potential to be an uplifting feel good moment for the nation and you're thinking about the Tories taking advantage of it, it's not a healthy attitude IMO mate.
    I always see things through a political prism. Have for as long as I can remember

    Not a party-political thing, either, and I have little love for Labour. The Tories just embody everything I hate about aspects of human nature (greed, small-minded nationalism, hierarchy, etc)

    I'm a bit of a hippy at heart and just want everyone to get along and the freedom to loaf through life.


  15. #15
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I'm not massive into the England football team, always had an emotional distance from them unlike the cricket team which I follow passionately. But I've never veered down the 'cheer against them' path because it's pointless IMO. Your family are English, your mates are English, the country shaped you and what you believe in, warts and all. We all think the grass is greener on the other side, but we have alot going for us as a nation. Any issues with narrow minded attitudes apply to all countries, there is no country on earth that doesn't have this issue, but in terms of tolerance, open mindedness, diversity and creativity there are few that match us. When I was younger I just assumed we were different, that France, Germany, Italy, etc didn't have such people, that they were better places to live and were more enlightened. They aren't, they have all the same issues and most of them have them worse than us. So, as I say, I don't go mad about England but I don't want them to fail. 20 million+ will watch the game on Tuesday, from all walks of life, from all races, political persuasions, ages, etc, and they'll be wanting England to win. In the times we live in I'm quite heartened that there is something that can rally tens of millions together in one unifying cause, all wanting the same thing, and all happy if it goes well. What else out there right now can claim to do that? Wanting England to lose because you don't like the Tories or Brexit is pointless, because England losing won't change either of those things, but what it will do is make tens of millions of people angry and upset. Why actively root for that? On the other hand England winning will give the nation something that lifts tens of millions, brings the country together and gives us something massive to celebrate as a nation over and above the squabbles and disagreements we may have. Isn't that worth supporting?
    But I find Chris Waddle ranting on BBC Five Live the most funniest part of any tournament.

    Probably a bit late for that now they've reached the semis though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •