Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 75 of 468 FirstFirst ... 2555657172737475767778798595125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 11700

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    At the time that Hurrell accepted our offer & agreed to come to us, he didn't have an offer from Leeds so that could be what Agar is referring to. Nothing was signed it was a verbal agreement with us. He was on marquee money at Leeds, we offered quite a lot less apparently but it was by no means certain that Leeds had an overseas trained slot for him as they only had 2 slots available & 3 players, and they had told him that he would be taking a very big pay cut if he stayed.
    One other thing, I doubt Hurrell can play wing, he would get bombed to death.
    I’m looking forward to seeing him play for us. Real good Character, strong runner of the ball & has the Woolf connection. We keep him fit could be a really shrewd signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    If you listen to Richard Agar’s comments he refers to Hurrell having to put his family first and the offer Elsewhere he couldn’t really turn down. Same going for the King player they have let go to Salford. Doesn’t sound to me like he’s coming for nothing. Don’t be surprised to see Hurrell sign with utility in mind, can player centre, probably fill in on the wing and can play back row. Hopoate can play full back or centre. Again can fill in on the wing. It’s interesting to see how we have spaced the available salary cap out amongst the recruits and upgrades for young players. Seems good management from Saints.
    I suspect that the security of a two year deal beats Leeds one. You doubt the Leeds offer was anywhere near his marquee money. Given the plan seems to be, get Hurrell in shape first it makes sense to make it a longer deal.

He should be exciting if nothing else.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Starting A Programme Collection

I’m looking forward to seeing him play for us. Real good Character, strong runner of the ball & has the Woolf connection. We keep him fit could be a really shrewd signing.
    Me too, he can certainly blast some holes out wide & is a wingers centre. As we all agree though, he has to get super fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    Have to give Eamonn and Rushy great credit. Going through a high turnover of players yet seemingly looking stronger for next year!

Welsby > Coote
    Dodd > Fages
    Hopoate > Naiqama
    Sironen > Bentley
    Hurrell > Thompson
    Lussick > Smith
    Bell > Amor

I have a feeling Batchelor will move to prop in place of Amor and Bell to cover second row if signed.
    I would say Lussick is a Roby replacement but he gets to slowly get phased in over 12 months.

Batchelor and Norman feel more the Amor replacement. Bell seems more a Bentley style player.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    Have to give Eamonn and Rushy great credit. Going through a high turnover of players yet seemingly looking stronger for next year!

Welsby > Coote
    Dodd > Fages
    Hopoate > Naiqama
    Sironen > Bentley
    Hurrell > Thompson
    Lussick > Smith
    Bell > Amor

I have a feeling Batchelor will move to prop in place of Amor and Bell to cover second row if signed.
    I think we need to be careful here.

Welsby and Dodd have been excellent this season no doubt, but Coote has been one of our best players for the last three years, and Fages hasnt been so bad either (despite my constant calling for Dodd to replace him ...) We have been very lucky in that they have come into the team, and really found form but there will be times next year where their form dips and how they handle that is unknown. Harry Smith kept Dodd out of England youth teams for example, and hes currently stinking out the place, and Wigan fans are begging for him to be dropped.

Hopoate and Sironen are very like for like with Naiqama and Thompson. I think they will be incrementally better, but there are a bunch of other factors around settling in, adapting to the league etc which means I dont think we should be declaring them total successes yet. On paper they are good business by the club though.

Hurrell is a massive risk as has been discussed in a lot of threads. I personally dont have an issue with the club deciding they have the luxury of taking that risk, with 3 senior backrowers/ 2 senior centres already at the club meaning he can be frozen out if he doesnt put the work in. Comparing him to Bentley would be very interesting - I would really like to know how the Hurrell Saints contract and the Bentley Leeds contract compare, and whether the club would have rather stayed with the known entity...

Lussick I am very happy with, certainly no complaints stating he will be a big upgrade on Smith, with less risk compared to the other signings from Aus as hes already played in the league.

Bell over Amor is the hardest to talk about as I really dont want either of them. We need another prop, the Warrington game shone a huge light on how our intensity drops without Walmsley/Lees/Knowles, and another year older LMS/ Amor isnt the answer to that problem. Norman may be a wildcard, but depending on him to step up feels like a massive risk and a gap we should have filled. I just dont understand what Bell would bring that Wingfield or the 4 senior backrowers dont already. He doesnt fit any real role in the team, and doesnt really do anything better than what we already have (theres no shame in that Knowles is head and shoulders the best 13 in the comp). There is really no reason for us to sign Bell when we need a prop. I know the Taukeiaho rumours are in a strange state where the Aussie press are convinced its happening and the British press are convinced its not, but I would even take a year or two of Chris Hill over going around with Amor again!

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post

Welsby and Dodd have been excellent this season no doubt, but Coote has been one of our best players for the last three years, and Fages hasnt been so bad either (despite my constant calling for Dodd to replace him ...) We have been very lucky in that they have come into the team, and really found form but there will be times next year where their form dips and how they handle that is unknown. Harry Smith kept Dodd out of England youth teams for example, and hes currently stinking out the place, and Wigan fans are begging for him to be dropped.

Hopoate and Sironen are very like for like with Naiqama and Thompson. I think they will be incrementally better, but there are a bunch of other factors around settling in, adapting to the league etc which means I dont think we should be declaring them total successes yet. On paper they are good business by the club though.

Hurrell is a massive risk as has been discussed in a lot of threads. I personally dont have an issue with the club deciding they have the luxury of taking that risk, with 3 senior backrowers/ 2 senior centres already at the club meaning he can be frozen out if he doesnt put the work in. Comparing him to Bentley would be very interesting - I would really like to know how the Hurrell Saints contract and the Bentley Leeds contract compare, and whether the club would have rather stayed with the known entity...

Lussick I am very happy with, certainly no complaints stating he will be a big upgrade on Smith, with less risk compared to the other signings from Aus as hes already played in the league.

Bell over Amor is the hardest to talk about as I really dont want either of them. We need another prop, the Warrington game shone a huge light on how our intensity drops without Walmsley/Lees/Knowles, and another year older LMS/ Amor isnt the answer to that problem. Norman may be a wildcard, but depending on him to step up feels like a massive risk and a gap we should have filled. I just dont understand what Bell would bring that Wingfield or the 4 senior backrowers dont already. He doesnt fit any real role in the team, and doesnt really do anything better than what we already have (theres no shame in that Knowles is head and shoulders the best 13 in the comp). There is really no reason for us to sign Bell when we need a prop. I know the Taukeiaho rumours are in a strange state where the Aussie press are convinced its happening and the British press are convinced its not, but I would even take a year or two of Chris Hill over going around with Amor again!
    I don't believe that we are paying Hurrell what Leeds are paying Bentley. In any case, Bentley is a workhorse 2nd row, they are not that rare, we have a couple of potentials inside the club to fill that role maybe ? As I've said somewhere else, Hurrell if true, could be our most interesting signing, it's certainly caused a huge debate already .

Dodd is a better all round player than fages imo, I know fages gets a lot of love from some posters on here but to me defence aside he is bang average

He doesn't have a great running game, passing game or kicking game , we already look better in attack now dodd is in the team

I don't know about the rest I would say sironen is better than the Thompson we have had this year

Bentley is a top player despite his discipline issues since his return from injury and I don't think the likes of bell will be as good

If we get Taukeiaho in he will be a big upgrade on amor

The centres and full back slots could go either way, welsby could be a world beater there or he could struggle under the high ball

Hurrell could be an unstoppable tank in the centre or overweight unfit turnstyle in defence of a player

Lussick seems a very good rotation option at hooker and will be an upgrade on either smith or eaves in that role

Hopoate seems to divide opinion , KW knows him though and maybe he fits into our game plan as well as giving us cover at full back

All of these guys appear to be big men, they will fit into KW style which relies a lot on power and grinding sides down physically

I don't especially enjoy that style of rugby but it does seem to be bringing in trophies and we that is the name of the game

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    Dodd is a better all round player than fages imo, I know fages gets a lot of love from some posters on here but to me defence aside he is bang average

He doesn't have a great running game, passing game or kicking game , we already look better in attack now dodd is in the team

I don't know about the rest I would say sironen is better than the Thompson we have had this year

Bentley is a top player despite his discipline issues since his return from injury and I don't think the likes of bell will be as good

If we get Taukeiaho in he will be a big upgrade on amor

The centres and full back slots could go either way, welsby could be a world beater there or he could struggle under the high ball

Hurrell could be an unstoppable tank in the centre or overweight unfit turnstyle in defence of a player

Lussick seems a very good rotation option at hooker and will be an upgrade on either smith or eaves in that role

Hopoate seems to divide opinion , KW knows him though and maybe he fits into our game plan as well as giving us cover at full back

All of these guys appear to be big men, they will fit into KW style which relies a lot on power and grinding sides down physically

I don't especially enjoy that style of rugby but it does seem to be bringing in trophies and we that is the name of the game
    As long as the big men are used to blast holes to make room for the backs, then that's fine by me.
    Fages could not have scored the Dodd try against Wire, Dodd make it look like a training ground move, including the little step at the end. That one step said a lot about his ability.

In The South Stand

We’d have still beat Warrington with Fages in the side. His work in defence would have tightened up that left edge of ours and I doubt we’d have been carved up twice how we were for their two tries.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    I don't believe that we are paying Hurrell what Leeds are paying Bentley. In any case, Bentley is a workhorse 2nd row, they are not that rare, we have a couple of potentials inside the club to fill that role maybe ? As I've said somewhere else, Hurrell if true, could be our most interesting signing, it's certainly caused a huge debate already .
    Your comparison of salaries is correct. It was Woolf that thought he could do something with Hurrell, but the club weren’t willing to go overboard with a salary offer for him.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    We’d have still beat Warrington with Fages in the side. His work in defence would have tightened up that left edge of ours and I doubt we’d have been carved up twice how we were for their two tries.
    One of the tries was on the right hand side, and caused by Bentley going for the big shot rather than keeping his defensive structure. The other try, sometimes you just have to sit back and compliment the opposition, it was a great try, and I don’t think anyone in this hemisphere would have made a difference in stopping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Fages defended on our right not left.

Banned

Same going for the King player they have let go to Salford.

"the King player"

Did you not fancy having a stab at spelling his surname?

(I know I wouldn't! How does the esteemed Mr Arthur pronounce it, I wonder? Doubt he can get away with 'Ner-kwar-mer')

Noooobie

Apologies if this has been said already, but in all the different permutations of our backs for next year that I've seen recently on this and other threads, Fages is never included. I know he has been very strongly linked with Huddersfield, even so far as to know what money he will get, but to my knowledge there hasn't been an official announcement.

Anyone have any reliable sources on this?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoughyedSaint View Post
    Apologies if this has been said already, but in all the different permutations of our backs for next year that I've seen recently on this and other threads, Fages is never included. I know he has been very strongly linked with Huddersfield, even so far as to know what money he will get, but to my knowledge there hasn't been an official announcement.

It seems to be nailed on according to all those who usually know these things. I am surprised nothing has been announced though, I'd have thought when he suffered his season ending injury it would have made sense to announce him leaving around the same time.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

One of the tries was on the right hand side, and caused by Bentley going for the big shot rather than keeping his defensive structure. The other try, sometimes you just have to sit back and compliment the opposition, it was a great try, and I don’t think anyone in this hemisphere would have made a difference in stopping it.
    Got to disagree on that being on Bentley. Our numbers were all wrong and if Bentley doesn't step in there's a simple tip on to the lead man with nobody covering it. Welsby should have gone in with him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoughyedSaint View Post

He had signed for Huddersfield. I’m certain of that.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    This 100%

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    For reasons only known to them, they havent announced any signings yet, they have also definitely signed Tui Lolohea, and were strongly linked to Chris Hill as well (though that seems to have gone south now ...)

I think theyre the only club not to announce any signings yet (compared to Warrington who have announced 5/6 I think!)

Noooobie

Have we definitely signed Bell?

Learning All The Songs

Any chance we can throw big money at kruise leeming and get him over?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

Warrington just announced a big signing.....

.....GREG MINIKIN!!!!

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post

.....GREG MINIKIN!!!!
    He's a very solid player. Bit strange they've signed him when they have two specialist centres and Ashton/Thewlis developing. I'm guessing he replaces Mamo? Mata'utia replaces Inglis and Minikin replaces Mamo?

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post

.....GREG MINIKIN!!!!
    Warrington
    In: George Williams (Canberra Raiders), James Harrison (Featherstone Rovers), Oliver Holmes (Castleford Tigers), Peter Mata'utia (Castleford Tigers), Joe Bullock (Wigan Warriors), Greg Minikin (Hull KR)
    Out: Blake Austin (Leeds Rhinos), Greg Inglis (retiring), Tom Lineham (Wakefield Trinity), Jake Mamo (Castleford Tigers)

Though looking at it now I am not 100% sure that Bullock has been announced as they referred to Minikin as their 4th signing...

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    He's a very solid player. Bit strange they've signed him when they have two specialist centres and Ashton/Thewlis developing. I'm guessing he replaces Mamo? Mata'utia replaces Inglis and Minikin replaces Mamo?
    Yeah he's not a bad player at all. Think Mamo is probably more of an asset overall though