Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 468 FirstFirst ... 2345678910162656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I think like most fans here, I'd love a 1-17 of players who'd all come through our system. But only if they were as good players as we could get.
    This is where I am. A team full of local lads would be the ideal scenario if they're as good as anything else, but what I really value is those who come in from the outside and 'get' us and get the club immediately. You look at the influence the likes of Meninga and Holbrook have had on the town and club in different eras and realise that you can have players and coaches who have a connection with the fanbase without having grown up in Thatto Heath or Clock Face. And, you and I grew up watching homegrown local lads like Connolly and Platt (he was from Billinge but you get my point) come through the system then bail for Wigan, and other local lads like Thompson disappeared for the NRL at the drop of a hat as well, so no guarantee having a group of local lads means that they won't ditch us for better offers either.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    I do think Welsby deserves his chance if Coote leaves. Aside form the fact he would cost a fraction of what they would have to pay for someone like Dufty it sends out a really good message to the rest of the other youngsters at the club that if you train hard and show you have the potential then you'll get your chance in the first team.
    By the end of this season Welsby will have been in & around the 1st team squad for over 2 years. Aside from the mistakes you'll get with any young player and the fact he's been moved around into numerous different positions, the lads done pretty well, he scored the match winning GF try with his attitude to never give up. As a local lad who's grown up watching Saints you know he'll give his all week in week out. Bringing in any overseas player is a gamble, you just never know if they'll settle and perform no matter how well they may have been playing in the NRL.

I'd much rather us play Welsby at 1 and us the money to invest in a top quality centre to replace Naquiama and then use one of the available quota spots to bolster the front row and the remainder of the money to retain Bentley.

I think Saints need to allocate the big money to the most important positions on the field- 1,6,7 & 9. Plus there's not that many top quality centres out there and Saints are fortunate to have one of the best in SL already, in Percival. You then need your pivots to get the ball in the centres hands and often one side of the field can get very little ball. That's usually the right centre. If you look at the highest level of the sport, so State of Origin and international level, you often find full backs, halves or second row forwards playing in the centres.

For these reasons, I'd give the right centre spot to Welsby and sign a good quality full back such as Dufty for a year or so. Gives Welsby the chance to further develop his game and have the opportunity to take the number 1 shirt in years to come. Simm would then have the opportunity to take the centre spot or another development player.

It's always a gamble bringing in players from the NRL, but one worth taking I think.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

My understanding is that Fages has 100% signed for Huddersfield and has managed to get a very good deal, money that if it is true then Saints would have been silly to try and match given salary cap restraints.

Good luck to him. I guess we’ll see if Dodds can live up to all the hype now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    I must be the only one on here with serious reservations about Dufty. Those clips show his highlights, and his attacking play was never in question. Pity we can't find his 'lowlights reel' as well, you know the one that shows all the dropped high balls and missed 1 on 1 tackles. Welsby gets criticised for being 'dodgey' under the high ball, well Dufty aint any better.
    Don't get drawn in in by the likes of Stevo into thinking he's some sort of superstar just because he's an Aussie.
    I Agree with you Ive watched him a while,and yes he's like lightening, but a Full Back needs to be able to tackle. I don't think its his strongest point. And he will always get out jumped because he's small.
    But boy can he move. I don't think i would take a risk.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    My understanding is that Fages has 100% signed for Huddersfield and has managed to get a very good deal, money that if it is true then Saints would have been silly to try and match given salary cap restraints.

If that’s true, then is Woolf going after this year? Because the only reason for me to not be seeing if Dodd can cut it or not is a guy who doesn’t care about what position Fage leaving puts us in next year and only cares about winning games this year?

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    If that’s true, then is Woolf going after this year? Because the only reason for me to not be seeing if Dodd can cut it or not is a guy who doesn’t care about what position Fage leaving puts us in next year and only cares about winning games this year?
    I would imagine (hope!) that part of the clubs brief to KW would be to develop our younger players for the future, irrespective of who the coach is next year, the year after, etc...

Learning All The Songs

If it’s true all the more reason to give Dodd some game time in his natural position sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    If it’s true all the more reason to give Dodd some game time in his natural position sooner rather than later.
    That’s the point. But if a coach isn’t planning on staying beyond this year and thinks he will win more games with Fage at half, what’s his incentive to play Dodd? If it’s true that Fage is going, then Dodd has to be given game time, it shouldn’t even be up for debate.

In The South Stand

That’s the point. But if a coach isn’t planning on staying beyond this year and thinks he will win more games with Fage at half, what’s his incentive to play Dodd? If it’s true that Fage is going, then Dodd has to be given game time, it shouldn’t even be up for debate.
    What coach do you know that has done that ? When we knew Long/Pryce/Gilmour/Lyon ect ( name any number of players) were leaving did the coach drop them and pick someone else ?

Regardless of what any of us think the coach will pick what he thinks is the best team if they are leaving or not.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    What coach do you know that has done that ? When we knew Long/Pryce/Gilmour/Lyon ect ( name any number of players) were leaving did the coach drop them and pick someone else ?

Regardless of what any of us think the coach will pick what he thinks is the best team if they are leaving or not.
    I think it’s a little different if it’s true that our half could be leaving and there a young guy who needs game time. Waiting to try him next year after Fage may leave doesn’t seem a smart option. Neither is signing another half and him never getting his chance. We need to see what he can really do ASAP.

Surely the most important thing is to win games this year and the coach should, therefore, play the best players in each position for the majority of fixtures. Next season is an irrelevancy and it certainly wouldn’t make sense not to select Coote, Naiqama, Amor, LMS, Fages or Bentley if fit just because they may move on at the end of the year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

It’s far too early in the season on trying to conclude Woolf,s intentions. He wants to win games to put us in a good position once that is achieved then we might see some rotation, Woolf barring jiggly injuries will always put his best team on the park at the moment.

That equation won,t change regardless of who is leaving next season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

This is the case mate definitely. I posted on here a couple of weeks ago he had agreed a deal approx £200,000 with Huddersfield. Silly money
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    This is the case mate definitely. I posted on here a couple of weeks ago he had agreed a deal approx £200,000 with Huddersfield. Silly money
    If that is true then fair play to him.

Got A Season Ticket

Theo might never be the world class attacking player we would love, but we will struggle to find someone who matches his effort and commitment for the overall team. Much better performance tonight but he seemed to be involved in everything, especially in defence.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Can only assume they’re making him a marquee player and Sezer is definitely leaving. That’s crackers money.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    It’s far too early in the season on trying to conclude Woolf,s intentions. He wants to win games to put us in a good position once that is achieved then we might see some rotation, Woolf barring jiggly injuries will always put his best team on the park at the moment.

That equation won,t change regardless of who is leaving next season.
    It's very much the NRL attitude of using the team you have this season then worrying about next season in the New Year. So many players fly around the NRL these days that coaches would forever be in flux trying to phase out those leaving and bringing in potential replacements so the logical attitude is go with what you have for the season then do the same with what you have next year and so on. So, I can see why he'll persist with Fages at 7 and Coote at 1 despite neither likely being here next season. They are his first choice 7 and 1 for the 2021 season, not 2022 or 2023, and he'll deal with 2022 in the off season if he's still here. Some may think that as short-termist and maybe not giving Dodd and others a fair crack of the whip before being first choice next year, but I can understand it from the coaches perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    It's very much the NRL attitude of using the team you have this season then worrying about next season in the New Year. So many players fly around the NRL these days that coaches would forever be in flux trying to phase out those leaving and bringing in potential replacements so the logical attitude is go with what you have for the season then do the same with what you have next year and so on. So, I can see why he'll persist with Fages at 7 and Coote at 1 despite neither likely being here next season. They are his first choice 7 and 1 for the 2021 season, not 2022 or 2023, and he'll deal with 2022 in the off season if he's still here. Some may think that as short-termist and maybe not giving Dodd and others a fair crack of the whip before being first choice next year, but I can understand it from the coaches perspective.
    I can completely understand it. However I struggle with not giving Dodd 15-20 minutes at 7 in a game like last night. That I struggle with and it’s what makes me think he potentially won’t be here next year. Either that or he’s not convinced about Dodd for next year anyway which could be his view.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I initially thought it a waste bringing Dodd on for a few minutes at 9. Now the minutes are getting longer and he is involving himself and getting used to the pace and physicality without the weight of being the playmaker. I think Woolf is going about it the right way, though when the game is won 15-20 mins from the end I wouldn't mind seeing him move to 7. The only issue I have about the way we are going about it is that if Smith is seen a the next 9, he is not getting any game time.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I initially thought it a waste bringing Dodd on for a few minutes at 9. Now the minutes are getting longer and he is involving himself and getting used to the pace and physicality without the weight of being the playmaker. I think Woolf is going about it the right way, though when the game is won 15-20 mins from the end I wouldn't mind seeing him move to 7. The only issue I have about the way we are going about it is that if Smith is seen a the next 9, he is not getting any game time.
    As far as Smith is concerned, he has already shown several times that he can cope physically with long spells at hooker in the first team; the only issue with no game time is therefore related to match fitness. Dodd, however, is 4-5 years younger and needs more care to be taken with his introduction to top level rugby from both a physical and mental perspective.

I can completely understand it. However I struggle with not giving Dodd 15-20 minutes at 7 in a game like last night. That I struggle with and it’s what makes me think he potentially won’t be here next year. Either that or he’s not convinced about Dodd for next year anyway which could be his view.
    I agree completely, throw him in, especially last night in a relatively stress free second half. But I don't think many Aussie coaches would any differently to KW unfortunately.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I think you're reading too much into this.
    IMO Dodd is being given game time wherever he fits in at the moment. A bit like Welsby last season (at this!).
    Plenty of time for him to ease into no.7 before TF goes...And perhaps KW thinks he's the better 'hooker' of the two?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Can only assume they’re making him a marquee player and Sezer is definitely leaving. That’s crackers money.
    Gaskell is off contract. The word is he was on a six figure sum at Bradford in the Championship. He wont have taken a pay cut to go to Huddersfield so whist nowhere near 200 its a sizeable chunk back in the pot.

Starting A Programme Collection

One reason for giving Dodd time at 7 is to prepare him for if Fage gets injured.

Let's imagine we get to the CC Final and the week before Fage picks up an injury and Dodds had no time as SH but has to play there in the final!

Banned

I still think Eaves has more potential than Smith.