Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 52 of 468 FirstFirst ... 232424849505152535455566272102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 11700

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

Learning All The Songs theres only one stan wall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    It would be interesting if Savelio is still on (assuming that’s who you were referring to?)

Would;

In: Taukeiaho (Roosters), Hopoate (Bulldogs), Savelio (Hull fc), (Abdul/Brown/Brierly), Scurr (Bradford)
    Out: Coote (HKR), Naiqama (Aus/retired), Fages (Huddersfield), Bentley (Leeds), Thompson (Retired), Amor (Wakefield/Retired), LMS (London/Reitred)
    Retained; Roby (1 year), Batchelor (2 years + option)

Be seen as a successful recruitment period all things considered?

Would leave us with;

Welsby
    Makinson Hopoate Percival Grace
    Lomax Dodd
    Walmsley Roby Lees
    Mata’utia Savelio
    Knowles

Smith Batchelor Taukeiaho Paasi

(Abdul/Brierly/Brown) Simm Norman Wingfield
    No idea where we are up too on that one. But Savelio was without question spoken too.

10/12/1989 12-12 v Dewsbury (H) Regal Trophy.
    Att:5,847 (Loyal supporter ever since).

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Interesting hearing the podcast interview with McManus today. He said Woolf is staying and they just need to sort it out and will be announcing something shortly.

He also said that there will be signings and that players want to play for St Helens, both in the NRL and Super League. Makes you wonder if the signing from Hull is still on, whoever that was.
    He also said we would be spending up to the cap next year, as well as continuing to invest in women’s, disabled and junior rugby.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by theres only one stan wall View Post
    Think you know who that was. Interesting Davidson is well thought of too Saddened!!
    Very interesting.

Interesting hearing the podcast interview with McManus today. He said Woolf is staying and they just need to sort it out and will be announcing something shortly.

He also said that there will be signings and that players want to play for St Helens, both in the NRL and Super League. Makes you wonder if the signing from Hull is still on, whoever that was.

Woolf was always going to stay.
    From a club perspective the trophy haul trumps any dislike of playing style and persona.

I guess we all wait and see who the signings are.

Be interesting to see the number of season ticket renewals not just based on
    Saints and Woolf but on the game as a whole.

The product is not great across the league Fans are out of the habit and have given clubs (not just Saints)
    two years of patience , sympathy and donations.

2022 memberships and attendances will give an indication of where everyone is at.

I think a few clubs not just Saints are in for a bit of a shock.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Woolf was always going to stay.
    From a club perspective the trophy haul trumps any dislike of playing style and persona.

I guess we all wait and see who the signings are.

Be interesting to see the number of season ticket renewals not just based on
    Saints and Woolf but on the game as a whole.

The product is not great across the league Fans are out of the habit and have given clubs (not just Saints)
    two years of patience , sympathy and donations.

2022 memberships and attendances will give an indication of where everyone is at.

I think a few clubs not just Saints are in for a bit of a shock.
    Yes Woolf was always going to stay, unless the NRL came calling. Sounds promising that there are signings imminent though, hopefully not too long as we all want to know what we’ll have to work with next season with so many departures.

With season tickets next year I’m not sure how much confidence people will have in spending the money and being guaranteed to be able to watch all the games or games not being cancelled anyway. Hopefully it’ll be the opposite and people are desperate to enjoy live sport in a crowd after 18 months cooped up.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

It would be interesting if Savelio is still on (assuming that’s who you were referring to?)

Would;

In: Taukeiaho (Roosters), Hopoate (Bulldogs), Savelio (Hull fc), (Abdul/Brown/Brierly), Scurr (Bradford)
    Out: Coote (HKR), Naiqama (Aus/retired), Fages (Huddersfield), Bentley (Leeds), Thompson (Retired), Amor (Wakefield/Retired), LMS (London/Reitred)
    Retained; Roby (1 year), Batchelor (2 years + option)

Be seen as a successful recruitment period all things considered?

Would leave us with;

Welsby
    Makinson Hopoate Percival Grace
    Lomax Dodd
    Walmsley Roby Lees
    Mata’utia Savelio
    Knowles

Smith Batchelor Taukeiaho Paasi

(Abdul/Brierly/Brown) Simm Norman Wingfield
    To be honest I'd rather Simm be given his chance at centre and just see what happens. It might be a gamble to go with Simm, Dodd and Welsby all at once but I'd rather see how it went for a year than plug holes with expensive 30+ Aussies

I'd also be more than happy with Savelio and that bench. When you look at the outs there must be at a guess 800k to play with, less upgrades
    Last edited by Sean Day; 29th July 2021 at 07:05.

Got A Season Ticket

One of my favourite journos both in terms of scoops and discussion pieces.

That said Sione Katoa was one of his scoops earlier in the season.

On a side note Doggies fans on their board want shut of Hopoate as soon as.
    I must admit based on highlights I've seen he does not look great.
    Wouldn’t touch hopoate to average to old to expense I think the lad at Huddersfield Jake Wardle is going to be a class centre I would be looking to him he reminds me of a young Lee Gilmore

Yes it was quite a reassuring podcast from McManus. Woolf staying on is definitely a good thing, he has done well enough to win us trophies but at the same time he isn't young enough to have NRL clubs circling. My opinion is, if we want a more expansive style of play we need more attacking players. Hopefully we will see that in the recruitment.

Regarding players he acknowledged we have a big turn over at the end of the year and suggested that we would fill positions internally, from Super League and the NRL. Internally you assume we are talking about Welsby and Dodd in the starting 13, with the likes of Wingfield in the 17 every week. I am not 100% sure if Eamon has signing up his sleeve or he wants to stop us panicking about the lack of them. I guess we will see over the next few weeks/months.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Learning All The Songs

If McManus wants to sell more season tickets for next year he'd better sign some players other than our academy products as good as they are?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    If McManus wants to sell more season tickets for next year he'd better sign some players other than our academy products as good as they are?
    He said on the podcast last night that there'll be signings coming in and basically fans have nothing to worry about. He said we will be spending up to the cap and we will have a team the fans will be happy about.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    He said on the podcast last night that there'll be signings coming in and basically fans have nothing to worry about. He said we will be spending up to the cap and we will have a team the fans will be happy about.
    Hope so YG we seen last night what a weak pack can do to a team. If Wigan had Warrington's forwards they would be contenders.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Hope so YG we seen last night what a weak pack can do to a team. If Wigan had Warrington's forwards they would be contenders.
    It's going to be interesting to see what Warrington do with Warrington's forwards. Chris Hill hasn't had his contract renewed yet and they are rumoured to be getting Tom Johnstone as well. I can't see anyone at Warrington who is going to replace Hill internally, so presumably they will be looking for another prop or resigning Hill.

In The West Stand

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/krist...PRPauib0uQarRA

In case there was any doubt; Welsby will be fullback at the start of next year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

That's Hopoate in at 3 then, assuming that one is completed. Which will leave us needing a prop and a 2nd rower I reckon.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    That's Hopoate in at 3 then, assuming that one is completed. Which will leave us needing a prop and a 2nd rower I reckon.
    I still hope there's not truth at all in that rumour, Hopoate would be a real step down from KN.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    I still hope there's not truth at all in that rumour, Hopoate would be a real step down from KN.
    TBH I don’t think KN has been a this best this season for whatever reason. If Hopoate does come and has the right attitude i think he will be ok and can slot into FB should we need. But he needs to want to play for the shirt not the money.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Agreed. Would rather give Simm a go than sign him.

If Hopoate is the one of the signings the "fans will be happy with" then McManus has misjudged the mood of the fans.

Learning All The Songs

Agreed. Would rather give Simm a go than sign him.

If Hopoate is the one of the signings the "fans will be happy with" then McManus has misjudged the mood of the fans.
    I would prefer to see Simm as well. I'm not keen on recruit Aussie players for a season. Coote has done a good job but he isn't as good this year as he was last year in my opinion.

Welsby, Makinson, Simm, Percival, Grace, Lomax and Dodds would be a good first string in my view. I don't know who would step in as replacements though in case of injury

In The West Stand

Whilst I am not 100% sold on Hopoate, I am shocked at the number of people willing to throw 2 relatively untried juniors in Dodd and Simm in straight away, with barely 10 games prior experience. We might just about get away with doing it with one in Dodd, if he has as much experience and capability around them as possible, two would ruin both their development imo. Thats before you get to having virtually no cover for anyone getting injured.

Let Simm serve his apprenticeship as "first cover" for the threequarters for the next two years, much like Welsby has done, get 50 games under his belt and then assess if hes ready to step up. If Hopoate is as terrible as people are predicting, Woolf has a record of rewarding juniors by keeping seniors out anyway, and competition for places is never a bad thing.

Naiqama hasnt been great this season, and I am confident Hopoate will improve on Naiqama 2021 edition. He might not be as good as Naiqama 2019 but only time will tell on that one. As I recall, we all slated the Naiqama signing as well, and he has been proven to have been a shrewd, capable signing, and if Hopoate does sign, I trust the club to think he will be as well.

In The South Stand

And the first 7 Academy trained.

Whilst I am not 100% sold on Hopoate, I am shocked at the number of people willing to throw 2 relatively untried juniors in Dodd and Simm in straight away, with barely 10 games prior experience. We might just about get away with doing it with one in Dodd, if he has as much experience and capability around them as possible, two would ruin both their development imo. Thats before you get to having virtually no cover for anyone getting injured.

Let Simm serve his apprenticeship as "first cover" for the threequarters for the next two years, much like Welsby has done, get 50 games under his belt and then assess if hes ready to step up. If Hopoate is as terrible as people are predicting, Woolf has a record of rewarding juniors by keeping seniors out anyway, and competition for places is never a bad thing.

Naiqama hasnt been great this season, and I am confident Hopoate will improve on Naiqama 2021 edition. He might not be as good as Naiqama 2019 but only time will tell on that one. As I recall, we all slated the Naiqama signing as well, and he has been proven to have been a shrewd, capable signing, and if Hopoate does sign, I trust the club to think he will be as well.
    I don't quite see it that way.
    I'm having trouble with the value proposition.

If Saints were getting a superstar either at FB or centre then Simm slotting in as first cover is fair enough.

I'm more struggling to see the logic of a Hopoate signing and effectively paying for the "NRL" label and former reputation.
    Paying £100-150K all in for someone who doesn't look that great and more worryingly looks disinterested at his current club.

So in short you are paying premium money for someone who's name has excited very few to drive it in on tackle 2/3.
    That doesn't represent value for money.

In The South Stand

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/krist...PRPauib0uQarRA

In case there was any doubt; Welsby will be fullback at the start of next year.
    Similar report now from Mike Critchely in the Star, this is about Dodds, saying Dodds is our future scrum half.

In The West Stand

I don't quite see it that way.
    I'm having trouble with the value proposition.

If Saints were getting a superstar either at FB or centre then Simm slotting in as first cover is fair enough.

I'm more struggling to see the logic of a Hopoate signing and effectively paying for the "NRL" label and former reputation.
    Paying £100-150K all in for someone who doesn't look that great and more worryingly looks disinterested at his current club.

So in short you are paying premium money for someone who's name has excited very few to drive it in on tackle 2/3.
    That doesn't represent value for money.
    But I dont think Saints are effectively paying for former reputation/ NRL label. Hes a damn sight better than all but maybe 3 of the centres currently in the competition - even doing a bad job in the NRL is better than all but maybe Percival, King and Whare would achieve in Hopoates position. Further, Woolf has worked with him before (and may think he may even think he can get him playing better than Bulldogs currently are) - we are paying for a known quantity - which is something Simm isn't. Further he fits in a niche that we need of also being able to cover fullback in a pinch - how does the value proposition of signing Ryan Brierly and Junior Sau compare to do the same job (at probably the same cost)?

Putting that aside for a second, even if you assume those on here are right, and Hopoate is awful. Simm still needs to perform, and keep performing to keep his place. Woolf has shown in the past hes willing to keep the kids coming through if they deserve it, so its entirely possible by signing Hopoate we get a better Simm next year anyway (whose to say hes one of those who get the starting jersey and then coast - we have had more than a few over the years).

All in all, I just dont see how going with Simm represents a better option. Signing a "backup" centre/ fullback is likely to have cost just as much, and going with just Simm leaves us 1 injury away from a crisis at all times. Either he comes over here and rips it up like Naiqama did when he first came over, or he crashes, and its on Simm to take his place and keep the shirt, whilst Hopoate covers injuries (like Joel Thompson at the moment) - which is a bit of a win win.

Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    Similar report now from Mike Critchely in the Star, this is about Dodds, saying Dodds is our future scrum half.
    https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport...22/?ref=twtrec

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport...o-fages-place/

Yes two articles from Mike Critchley saying Welsby at 1, Dodd at 7 next season.

A good message to send after re-signing the coach. A firm vote for our promising youth players
    Last edited by Noel Cleal; 29th July 2021 at 20:21.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

How serious should we take the Jordan Abdull rumours?? I’ve nothing against the lad. He shows some classy ball touches but where do you play him? He’s a big lump of a half back. Doesn’t look to have much pace but plays good at the line. He reminds me of Richard Whiting. Too slow to be a back and not big, strong enough to be a quality forward, yet always seems to make things happen around him. A decent rugby brain.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies