Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 255 of 468 FirstFirst ... 155205235245251252253254255256257258259265275305355 ... LastLast
Results 6,351 to 6,375 of 11700

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

In The South Stand

I’m not fussed that Norman has gone out temporarily. He’s been pretty poor when he has played for us, doesn’t look like playing for us in the immediate future and hasn’t exactly got glowing references from Swinton when he’s been on dual reg there. I’m not bothered that Leigh are above us either.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Maybe we need to free up a bit of cap space for a resigning? A signing bonus counts in the year it was signed so maybe we have given Mata’utia a 10k signing fee and knocked a bit of money off his regular salary so he counts for less on the cap next year, which is the difference between being in the cap and over?

Is he cup tied? If so it’s only a 1 week loan anyway? Maybe he’s on a kamikaze mission to take out Jake Clifford before the Quarters
    It's only a 2 week loan so it won't be anything like that, unless they can make it permanent

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Dan Norman has gone on loan to Leigh. Not sure we should be loaning players to clubs who are higher placed than us in the league table. How do we benefit from this exactly, when he's joining them at the end of the season anyway? It's not like his development is an issue now, why not loan him to the Championship or Wakefield?
    IF we don't finish above Leigh because we've loaned them Dan Norman this club really has gone to the dogs.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamessl View Post
    if we don't finish above leigh because we've loaned them dan norman this club really has gone to the dogs.

o_o
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    IF we don't finish above Leigh because we've loaned them Dan Norman this club really has gone to the dogs.
    Leigh have a decent chance of finishing above us because they're waltzing through most of the teams in the league. Not sure we should be helping them. Why not Swinton?

I guess the two week element could be while the clubs sort arrangements for him to go permanently I guess? That would make more sense than loaning him to Leigh as at least then we'd open up cap room.

In The South Stand

Potentially interesting one in the fallout over McGuire is that Warrington have apparently gone 'very big' with a marquee offer for Luke Thompson. This would explain Wigan's reduced interest as they've blown them out of the water with an offer that is higher by a six figure sum per year. They have also gone very big on offers for two outside backs from the NRL, one of which is coming this season along with a forward to replace Mikeale and McGuire. Source, lad in work's mate who's mates with Danny Walker. Not the most verifiable, but would fit the profile for Warrington.

Potentially interesting one in the fallout over McGuire is that Warrington have apparently gone 'very big' with a marquee offer for Luke Thompson. This would explain Wigan's reduced interest as they've blown them out of the water with an offer that is higher by a six figure sum per year. They have also gone very big on offers for two outside backs from the NRL, one of which is coming this season along with a forward to replace Mikeale and McGuire. Source, lad in work's mate who's mates with Danny Walker. Not the most verifiable, but would fit the profile for Warrington.
    I think if they did sign Thompson it would be no more than vanity. They surely cannot spend so much on a prop when they already have 6 (Harrison, Vaughan, Kasiano, Philbin, Dudson and Bullock) who can all play there. I accept Thompson is better than the majority (probably all) of those, but it would be overkill. I do not understand the want to replace Mikaele who went as I thought that did them a favour. What they need is a centre and some back rowers.

Leigh have a decent chance of finishing above us because they're waltzing through most of the teams in the league. Not sure we should be helping them. Why not Swinton?

I guess the two week element could be while the clubs sort arrangements for him to go permanently I guess? That would make more sense than loaning him to Leigh as at least then we'd open up cap room.
    Exactly that's pre Norman, he'll make them worse if anything.

If we are to use him at any point this year in an injury crisis it's better he's played at a higher standard than Swinton but it could be to sort a deal as you say.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Rugbyleaguehub.com suggests Sione has signed a new deal and Whitley is done

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

Dan Norman has gone on loan to Leigh. Not sure we should be loaning players to clubs who are higher placed than us in the league table. How do we benefit from this exactly, when he's joining them at the end of the season anyway? It's not like his development is an issue now, why not loan him to the Championship or Wakefield?
    Good news for us, probably be a Leopard next season as well (according to totalrl.com anyway).

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    Rugbyleaguehub.com suggests Sione has signed a new deal and Whitley is done
    In: Clark (Warrington), Whitley (Catalans), <non-fed back>
    Out: Roby (Retired), LMS (Retired), Hopoate (Warrington*)

Would be pretty decent going all things considered. I do think Sione to prop is a bit of a calculated gamble by the club, in that, if Thompson does come back to the UK, we don’t need anyone to leave to fit him in and then we just have huge competition for places in the pack, and a few like Sione who can cover in the backs, and if he doesn’t come back, the chances of us fitting in another senior prop is extremely limited and running Sione as an experiment whilst Delaney matures gives us options.

* yes I know there’s nothing linking Hopoate to Warrington, but it would be funny, and they did try and link themselves to a Saints player when the Clark rumours were floating around

Quote Originally Posted by Budgiezilla View Post
    Good news for us, probably be a Leopard next season as well (according to totalrl.com anyway).
    Only good news if someone can snap his handbrake off

Would be pretty decent going all things considered. I do think Sione to prop is a bit of a calculated gamble by the club, in that, if Thompson does come back to the UK, we don’t need anyone to leave to fit him in and then we just have huge competition for places in the pack, and a few like Sione who can cover in the backs, and if he doesn’t come back, the chances of us fitting in another senior prop is extremely limited and running Sione as an experiment whilst Delaney matures gives us options.

* yes I know there’s nothing linking Hopoate to Warrington, but it would be funny, and they did try and link themselves to a Saints player when the Clark rumours were floating around
    Wouldn't be surprised if we don't get another back given Bennison can cover back 3 and Whitley can cover centre

You seem obsessed about Thompson coming back, you mention him constantly. I don't know what the big deal is. Apart from the cost to bring him back, I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole given all his injuries. He's hardly played the last two seasons. Let another team pay a fortune and take a risk with him.

If you compare LMS to Sione they are pretty similar physically. I haven't really seen LMS as a "genuine" prop for some time more a modern middle/loose forward. In the end when they play in the middle both run around a bit and do a few tackles. You can throw Wingfield into the same category.

I speculated previously that maybe Siones disappline brain farts have been put down to fatigue. So maybe 20 mins a go are better for him.

Long term you would assume Delaney will have an increased role in the team.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    You seem obsessed about Thompson coming back, you mention him constantly. I don't know what the big deal is. Apart from the cost to bring him back, I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole given all his injuries. He's hardly played the last two seasons. Let another team pay a fortune and take a risk with him.
    Huh? I only mentioned him in the context of the rumours above, and my exact point was that the squad for next year is starting to make sense irrespective of whether we sign Thompson or not. I definitely do think we need another prop next season with LMS retiring, and Thompson is a lazy and easy reference given he’s homegrown so doesn’t take a non-fed spot and fits into the cap incredibly easily given the marquee rules. We haven’t been linked to any other props either, and seemed to have no interest in the Dupree race which was temporarily kicked off. I also frequently mention I think we should be looking at Eseh at Wakefield as soon as they’re mathematically relegated. There’s even less linking us to him, other than I think it would be a good move.

I haven’t made any sort of comment on whether my preference would be in terms of Thompson vs Sione becoming a prop. As I put in my first post, they both have positives both as players and as part of the squad. The hill I am far more willing to die on is that we should be signing a winger before another centre!

Learning All The Songs theres only one stan wall's Avatar

I’d have Thompson back in a heartbeat. The club still wine & dine his mum & dad on match days. The relationship is nowhere near as bad as told.
    He’s still a good age for a prop, he breaks tackles and can play long minutes. No reason why he can’t get over the injuries he’s had a couple of serious knocks but it’s not the same niggling hamstring issues like Newman / Percival. More bad luck than a chronic issue. The biggest plus is he’s home grown and counts as peanuts on the cap.
    Three year deal would allow the likes of Delaney & Stephens to come through at their own pace.

10/12/1989 12-12 v Dewsbury (H) Regal Trophy.
    Att:5,847 (Loyal supporter ever since).

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

Not a rumour as such but Twitter account @TheSaintsBible_ has been removed or closed down. Been an excellent source of knowledge for contract updates and signings in the last couple of years. Hopefully be back before too long as I'm sure there's lots of news coming.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by NSL View Post
    Not a rumour as such but Twitter account @TheSaintsBible_ has been removed or closed down. Been an excellent source of knowledge for contract updates and signings in the last couple of years. Hopefully be back before too long as I'm sure there's lots of news coming.
    Interesting. I've only found that account recently, but as you say they seem to have been bang on about everything. Makes you wonder if they got caught by the club, i.e they figured out who was behind it.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Phil Gould was asked about Thompson's future again earlier in the week, this time from a Wigan fan-

https://twitter.com/PhilGould15/stat...DRkay2vJ8uAAAA

If Warrington get him that could be a strong partnership with Paul Vaughan!

And in terms of what you're saying about outside backs, let's hope the talk of Jake Averillo being given permission to test the market is just a coincidence!

https://www.zerotackle.com/bulldogs-...w-club-155406/

Haha! Surely Bulldogs will want to do all they can to retain him or another NRL club will come in.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Phil Gould was asked about Thompson's future again earlier in the week, this time from a Wigan fan-

https://twitter.com/PhilGould15/stat...DRkay2vJ8uAAAA

If Warrington get him that could be a strong partnership with Paul Vaughan!

And in terms of what you're saying about outside backs, let's hope the talk of Jake Averillo being given permission to test the market is just a coincidence!

https://www.zerotackle.com/bulldogs-...w-club-155406/

Haha! Surely Bulldogs will want to do all they can to retain him or another NRL club will come in.

Thompson himself only ever speaks of wanting to stay in the NRL. I’m April of this year he was talking of how he feels he has never got going in Oz due to injury and suspensions etc. He mentioned having won everything in super league but nothing over there. For someone who would be commanding his wages, you don’t want him coming here just for the sake of getting a wage.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    On balance i think I agree with that and then there is the potential to disturb the moral in the squad?
    Learned comment from The Don

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/22625...-super-league/

Konnie hoping to stay on next year, mentioned in previous posts i think he has been our best player this season and one of our most consistent last season, up untill Hudds game he looked like our only real threat near opposition line, surely a no brainer to get him signed up for 1 more year and potentially a 2nd in our favour.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/22625...-super-league/

Konnie hoping to stay on next year, mentioned in previous posts i think he has been our best player this season and one of our most consistent last season, up untill Hudds game he looked like our only real threat near opposition line, surely a no brainer to get him signed up for 1 more year and potentially a 2nd in our favour.
    Yes agree - and seems to have tightened up his defensive lapses