Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 228 of 468 FirstFirst ... 128178208218224225226227228229230231232238248278328 ... LastLast
Results 5,676 to 5,700 of 11700

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    Wellens has said tying down existing players is the priority
    On the recruitment window opening, Wellens said: “Conversations have been ongoing for some time with myself, Mike Rush (chief executive), Eamonn McManus (chairman) and the board of directors in terms of where we want to move forward.

“Obviously that is largely about retention, keeping our better players here is what we like to do but also looking at recruitment and looking at holes we need to fill. Those discussions have been ongoing for a while.

“Once you get past this May date, things start to snowball a little bit and you start to get some more movement. Like every team, we are looking to improve for next year and discussions are taking place around where we can do that.”
    https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...aled-st-helens

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Dont disagree but would go the duel reg route, with circa 10 games in the first team for a couple of seasons before he becomes a first team regular. he has a huge future ahead of him, theres no need to rush it, and a couple of seasons backing up getting used to first grade will help him develop tremendously before taking a first 17 role.
    Yes, I would be happy with him playing some games on dual reg so that we can use him as needed.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    This is the thing that gets me about people attitudes towards guys like Davies and Royle. In a salary capped sport you need the first 17 to 19 players to take up the bulk of the cap. Huddersfield have an amazing squad of about 30 players but they can only play 17 at a time so are struggling.

These two lads may not be the most exciting players to watch but you know you can chuck them in and they won't let you down. Davies actually has a pretty good skill set and can plug a hole in a number of positions and most importantly doesn't demand a big wage to do it.
    You don’t necessarily want someone like Davies to be 1st backup in any position, but to be able to cover multiple positions as 2nd/3rd backup is invaluable in a salary capped sport. We haven’t won 4 in a row just by having the best 1st 13 or 17 but by having the best squad.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    You don’t necessarily want someone like Davies to be 1st backup in any position, but to be able to cover multiple positions as 2nd/3rd backup is invaluable in a salary capped sport. We haven’t won 4 in a row just by having the best 1st 13 or 17 but by having the best squad.
    Agree with that

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

This is the thing that gets me about people attitudes towards guys like Davies and Royle. In a salary capped sport you need the first 17 to 19 players to take up the bulk of the cap. Huddersfield have an amazing squad of about 30 players but they can only play 17 at a time so are struggling.

These two lads may not be the most exciting players to watch but you know you can chuck them in and they won't let you down. Davies actually has a pretty good skill set and can plug a hole in a number of positions and most importantly doesn't demand a big wage to do it.
    Royle has a bit about him but is out of contract and if I were in his shoes I'd look at what's in front of me and the younger players coming through - you'd have to wonder if he really sees his long term future here. He's hardly had an impact like Delaney has already made and is much older than the likes of Baxter and Buckley (and even Foster) who seem highly-rated within the club and will be looking to get the same game time Royle has this year in 2024. You'd assume Royle would want a decent contract this time around aswell and he could probably get one at another SL club if he were to go now.

Our other recruitment and retention comes into it too of course but Davies can do his role and more besides and is already contracted. Nothing against the lad but you've got to be brutal in situations like this and if it came to keeping Royle or throwing a few more quid at Bell it's a no-brainer.

Starting A Programme Collection

Sam Royle was horrendous at Hull KR, he looked like a lost kid on their first try and dropped it 2/3. Apologised to Wellens for his performance according to Wellens himself. The notion that they won't let you down is just bonkers.

Davies has had some awful games, some ok ones and the odd good one. His lateral movement is horrible to watch and against Leigh away the other month he got caught out at least twice on tries due to a lack of movement.

In that one Sam Royle got span around by Hardaker like he was invisible as well.

It isn't their fault either really, neither will be an SL player in 5 years time and I'll never question their effort.

If the argument is to keep cheap players about then I understanding your point, especially with Davies having some versatility but to say they don't let you down just isn't true.

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

Updated list of everyone out of contract from SL, I'm sure things are changing all the time and there are a lot of these with player or club options for next season.

Not much to get excited about beyond the ones already discussed on here:

Clark is presumably a target and we definitely need reinforcements at 9.

Trout and Walters should come into consideration depending on the situations of LMS and/or Norman.

Keighran has done well in his brief stint at Catalans, maybe someone to look at if we were to release Hopoate?

Kai O'Donnell has been very impressive for Leigh, to the point where he has been asked about his English allegiance. We are strong in the back row but Sione looks to be leaving, and if we were to struggle to tie down Sironen and Bell he's a good option. Ellis Longstaff looks like a good prospect too, but I imagine Wire will tie him down longer term after his loan at Salford.

Castleford
    Bailey Dawson
    Greg Eden
    Niall Evalds
    Bureta Faraimo
    Mahe Fonua
    Jacob Hookem
    George Lawler
    Nathan Massey
    Suaia Matagi
    Muizz Mustapha
    Ilikaya Mafi
    Callum McLelland
    Adam Milner
    Alex Sutcliffe
    Daniel Smith
    Jordan Turner
    Liam Watts
    Joe Westerman

Catalans
    Julian Bousquet
    Mickael Goudemand
    Adam Keighran
    Michael McIlorum
    Arthur Mourgue
    Tyrone May
    Arthur Romano
    Mitchell Pearce

Huddersfield
    Jack Ashworth
    Leroy Cudjoe
    Chris Hill
    Tui Lolohea
    Chris McQueen
    Nathan Mason
    Jermaine McGillvary
    George Roby
    Owen Trout

Hull FC
    Joe Cator
    Brad Dwyer
    Kane Evans
    Jude Ferreira
    Josh Griffin
    Danny Houghton
    Joe Lovodua
    Ben McNamara
    Cameron Scott
    Jamie Shaul
    Scott Taylor
    Adam Swift
    Chris Satae
    Andre Savelio
    Mitieli Vulikijapani
    Connor Wynne

Hull KR
    Lachlan Coote
    Shaun Kenny-Dowall
    Luis Johnson
    Jimmy Keinhorst
    Kane Linnett
    Connor Moore
    Dan Okoro
    Ethan Ryan
    Greg Richards
    Sam Wood

Leeds
    Blake Austin
    James Bentley
    James Donaldson
    David FusituÂ’a
    Aidan Sezer
    Zane Tetevano
    Liam Tindall
    Sam Walters

Leigh
    Jacob Jones
    Tom Nisbet
    Ben Nakubuwai
    Kai OÂ’Donnell
    Ben Reynolds
    Aaron Smith
    Nathan Wilde
    Joe Wardle

Salford
    Danny Addy
    Chris Atkin
    Amir Bourouh
    Deon Cross
    Matty Costello
    James Greenwood
    Ben Hellewell
    Ken Sio
    King Vuniyayawa
    Rhys Williams
    Shane Wright

Wakefield Trinity
    Matty Ashurst
    Renouf Atoni
    Eddie Battye
    Josh Bowden
    Harry Bowes
    Rob Butler
    Jordan Crowther
    Lee Gaskell
    Max Jowitt
    Liam Kay
    Lee Kershaw
    Mason Lino
    Jay Pitts
    Kevin Proctor
    Jorge Taufua
    Dane Windrow

Warrington
    Daryl Clark
    Ben Currie
    Ellis Longstaff
    Peter MataÂ’utia
    Greg Minikin

Wigan
    Cade Cust
    Mike Cooper
    Kaide Ellis
    Willie Isa
    Patrick Mago
    Abbas Miski
    Brad Singleton
    Ramon Silva
    Iain Thornley

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Definitely, good utility is something you need. I would also say that the club has a lot of trust in Davies. If you look at players we have had covering in the backline in the past we have had Josh Simms disappointing semi final performance vs Wigan. Matty Costello was marking Joey Manu vs the Sydney Roosters in the WCC and let in two tries which at the end of the day was the difference in the two teams. There are other examples of players like Ste Tyler and Jamie Foster having a mare in big games.

I am not having a go at these players, I am just pointing out that it is really easy for a young player to f#$% up in a high pressure game. Davies seems to have dealt with these bigger games and done his job. He has not looked like a big star but more importantly for me he hasn't f#$%ed up and the club seems confident that he won't. He seems to be very coachable which which will always make him popular with a Woolf or Wellens.

Looking long term, I completely agree with the idea that he is probably a backrower in our team if he is in the starting 13 but that isn't going to happen soon. But for the time being he is doing his job and that us what fans need to remember.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by NSL View Post
    Updated list of everyone out of contract from SL, I'm sure things are changing all the time and there are a lot of these with player or club options for next season.

Trout and Walters should come into consideration depending on the situations of LMS and/or Norman.

Keighran has done well in his brief stint at Catalans, maybe someone to look at if we were to release Hopoate?

Kai O'Donnell has been very impressive for Leigh, to the point where he has been asked about his English allegiance. We are strong in the back row but Sione looks to be leaving, and if we were to struggle to tie down Sironen and Bell he's a good option. Ellis Longstaff looks like a good prospect too, but I imagine Wire will tie him down longer term after his loan at Salford.
    Not sold on Clark but agree on the names you picked out.

Trout , Walters , Keighran , Longstaff all worth a chat.
    Kai O'Donnell good player but is he what is needed ? All academic if Sironen is retained.

Still think it is worth going for quarequare as a project signing , although not off contract.

Hope Saints don't go for a regulation 30yo+ NRL winger with little gas , just because he is big.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    Sam Royle was horrendous at Hull KR, he looked like a lost kid on their first try and dropped it 2/3. Apologised to Wellens for his performance according to Wellens himself. The notion that they won't let you down is just bonkers.

Davies has had some awful games, some ok ones and the odd good one. His lateral movement is horrible to watch and against Leigh away the other month he got caught out at least twice on tries due to a lack of movement.

In that one Sam Royle got span around by Hardaker like he was invisible as well.

It isn't their fault either really, neither will be an SL player in 5 years time and I'll never question their effort.

If the argument is to keep cheap players about then I understanding your point, especially with Davies having some versatility but to say they don't let you down just isn't true.
    That isn't how taking responsibility works mate. Sam Royle put his hand up and accepted that his performance wasn't up to scratch. If I was Wellens I wouldn't be upset at Royle for accepting responsibility, I would be annoyed that there wasn't 6 or 7 other mote experienced players behind him doing the same. Are you saying Percival isnt good enough because Hardacker made him look like a chump too? Royle was actually the second or third highest tackler in that match and the try he missed the tackle on he was actually taken out by a dummy runner. But he didn't make excuses he too kit on the chin and said he thought that he could do a lot better. He was then one of our better players vs Wire.

Ben Davies has never had an awful game. He has had to play out of position a few times and has looked it that is true. Shoving a (metaphorical) six on his back doesnt make him Lomax or a two Makinson. I have seen a few idiot Saints fan posts along the line of "I didnt go but I heard Davies had a shocker". I have sat next to fans in the away end that just b1tch non stop about Davies no matter what he does. I remember it happening away at Hull then Davies scored a couple of great tries and the idiots suddenly shut up. I can guess after a few ales on the coach home they would forgot how they looked stupid and go back to saying how bad Davies was. Some of our fans just make their mind up. There are still some that are upset Swift got dropped for Grace because they just didn't like Regan for various reason and Adam is a good local boy.

I dont know where either will be playing in 5 years, let's be honest we all thought at some point Danny Richardson was going to be playing for us his entire career and Jamie Foster would end up our all time points scorer.

Royle and Davies have a lot going for them. If I was a betting man I would go for Delaney, Whitby, Buckley and Robertson in 5 years time but writing off players too early if silly.

15 or so years ago you would have been a fool to pick Roby over Scott Moore. Scott was a superstar who beat the junior Kangaroos on his own and Roby was a nobody that tried hard. Just hold off on judging players too early.

Learning All The Songs

In a fantasy manager world and making some assumptions over who will be leaving without us being able to retain I'd look at:

Retain: James Bell, Matty Foster (if we can get him half a dozen games this year) Konrad Hurell, Curtin Sironen, Jake Wingfield.

Release/Lose: Will Hopoate, Sione Mata'utia, LMS, Dan Norman, James Roby, Sam Royle

Sign: Luke Thompson (LMS), Owen Trout (Norman), Deon Cross (Hopoate), Daryl Clark (Roby), Chris McQueen (Mata'utia) - I don't think we would need to replace Royle with Foster (hopefully) finding some fitness.

I've not looked at NRL off contract if there's any better/viable options to some of those but I feel those signings would give us a slight improvement overall and still keep the squad balance, we'd also have a quote spot to play with if anything came up mid season. Going into this year I thought we needed to sign a winger but Bennison and Ritson are having an interesting battle for that spot and I think I'd be happy with continuing with that Also aware some players like Trout want first time opportunities we can't necesarrily guarantee. I'd justify each signing as follows:

Luke Thompson - Had his ups and downs and some questions over injuries - but I do feel we could get the best out of him and with 4 props of Walmsley, Lees, Thompson and Paasi our pack would very rarely be on the backfoot.

Owen Trout - A promising young prop, when Hudds sent Leeming to Leeds and got Trout and some cash I thought they'd got the betetr end of the deal. He's been excellent through the junior/academy system and hasn't looked out of place. If he's willing to fight it out for a spot with our established rotation he'd be a good addition and would work well with Delaney down the line.

Deon Cross - I was impressed with him for Salford last year and he earned himself a Knights spot. I'd be giving Konrad the #3 shirt and Cross is there to back up him and Percy, with a view to earning his way into Konrads shirt in a year or two.

Daryl Clark - The best hooking option that is realistically available to us, would work well in tandem with Lussick if he's happy to come off the bench.

Chris McQueen - Not a like for like replacement but has been very strong and stood out for Huddersfield. Maybe a bit similar to our current options but I don't see many, if any, realistic like for like replacements for Sione. A rotation of McQueen, Batchelor and Sironen gives us a really strong 3.

Welsby
    Makinson
    Hurrell
    Percival
    Bennison/Ritson
    Lomax
    Dodd
    Walmsley
    Lussick
    Lees
    McQueen
    Batchelor
    Knowles

Clark
    Thompson
    Paasi
    Sironen

Wingfield
    Bell
    Bennison/Ritson
    Delaney
    Trout
    Cross
    Davies
    Baxter
    Foster
    Hill
    Sambou
    Pemberton
    Moss
    Lane
    Buckley
    Bruines
    Any promotions

In The South Stand

Castleford

Catalans
    Arthur Mourgue
    Tyrone May

Huddersfield
    Chris McQueen
    Owen Trout

Hull FC
    Joe Cator
    Chris Satae

Hull KR
    Sam Wood

Leeds
    Sam Walters

Leigh
    Kai OÂ’Donnell

Salford
    Deon Cross
    Ken Sio
    Shane Wright

Wakefield Trinity

Warrington

Wigan
    Those are worth consideration at least, depending on where we need players and where we don't depending on renewals.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Those are worth consideration at least, depending on where we need players and where we don't depending on renewals.
    Catalans
    Arthur Mourgue - The poster boy for french RL can't see him leaving France.
    Tyrone May - Prefer Keighran over May

Huddersfield
    Chris McQueen -Retiring
    Owen Trout - Yep

Hull FC
    Joe Cator - Two Achillies injuries and behind Knowles and Wingfield
    Chris Satae - Prefer Walters/Trout

Hull KR
    Sam Wood - Yep missed him .

Leeds
    Sam Walters - Yep

Leigh
    Kai OÂ’Donnell - ?

Salford
    Deon Cross - Yep missed him
    Ken Sio - Age
    Shane Wright - Has re-signed for Salford hasn't he ?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Catalans
    Arthur Mourgue - The poster boy for french RL can't see him leaving France.
    Tyrone May - Prefer Keighran over May

Huddersfield
    Chris McQueen -Retiring
    Owen Trout - Yep

Hull FC
    Joe Cator - Two Achillies injuries and behind Knowles and Wingfield
    Chris Satae - Prefer Walters/Trout

Hull KR
    Sam Wood - Yep missed him .

Leeds
    Sam Walters - Yep

Leigh
    Kai OÂ’Donnell - ?

Salford
    Deon Cross - Yep missed him
    Ken Sio - Age
    Shane Wright - Has re-signed for Salford hasn't he ?
    Has that been announced? Shame if so, still has plenty to offer.

Regarding SNLs huge OC list, there are a lot on there.

I guess we have to ask what players would add to what we already have. There are some handy players in the list but which have an X factor.

Chris Satae has a big impact when on form but you would be brave to pick up anyone from Hull FC given the problems they have.

I can understand concerns regarding Clark but he is still the best bet that we know of. Leeming is next but given his departure at Leeds regarding his attitude and defence is also a risk to some degree.

Tyrone May is a very talented player with a ton of utility value but there is an off field shadow over him too.

I am really not sure but Saints seem to have done well with the likes of Hurrell recently so we can trust them to come up with a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    Has that been announced? Shame if so, still has plenty to offer.
    He's 35. Been brilliant for Huds but not sure what is left in the tank. Not confirmed but hinted at on a recent LooseForward pod.

Learning All The Songs

My Milkman still assures me we are after Adam Keighran?

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    How reliable is your milkman? Does he sometimes mix up the skimmed and semi-skimmed? Do you get your milk even when it snows? We need to know before accepting him as a reliable source.

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Trust the process. He always delivers.

Starting A Programme Collection

That isn't how taking responsibility works mate. Sam Royle put his hand up and accepted that his performance wasn't up to scratch. If I was Wellens I wouldn't be upset at Royle for accepting responsibility, I would be annoyed that there wasn't 6 or 7 other mote experienced players behind him doing the same. Are you saying Percival isnt good enough because Hardacker made him look like a chump too? Royle was actually the second or third highest tackler in that match and the try he missed the tackle on he was actually taken out by a dummy runner. But he didn't make excuses he too kit on the chin and said he thought that he could do a lot better. He was then one of our better players vs Wire.

Ben Davies has never had an awful game. He has had to play out of position a few times and has looked it that is true. Shoving a (metaphorical) six on his back doesnt make him Lomax or a two Makinson. I have seen a few idiot Saints fan posts along the line of "I didnt go but I heard Davies had a shocker". I have sat next to fans in the away end that just b1tch non stop about Davies no matter what he does. I remember it happening away at Hull then Davies scored a couple of great tries and the idiots suddenly shut up. I can guess after a few ales on the coach home they would forgot how they looked stupid and go back to saying how bad Davies was. Some of our fans just make their mind up. There are still some that are upset Swift got dropped for Grace because they just didn't like Regan for various reason and Adam is a good local boy.

I dont know where either will be playing in 5 years, let's be honest we all thought at some point Danny Richardson was going to be playing for us his entire career and Jamie Foster would end up our all time points scorer.

Royle and Davies have a lot going for them. If I was a betting man I would go for Delaney, Whitby, Buckley and Robertson in 5 years time but writing off players too early if silly.

15 or so years ago you would have been a fool to pick Roby over Scott Moore. Scott was a superstar who beat the junior Kangaroos on his own and Roby was a nobody that tried hard. Just hold off on judging players too early.

Responsibility is all well and good but if you aren't good enough it's surely that simple.

That's a wild comparison with Percival because he's had nearly 10 years of good performances.

If you genuinely believe he was one of our better players against Wire I'm not sure what I can say.

He had his best game against Wire, he didn't drop it and he made his tackles apart from when Kasiano bounced him to Thatto Heath. If he played like that every week I'd be saying maybe he can have a contract to sit about and wait for injuries but the week before he was a disaster. There's games he's been on the bench and they don't even use him, surely that tells you everything you need to know about what Woolf and Wellens think?

I'd like to think anyone who has been in Saints system for as long as he has could tackle and not make any errors.

It's not writing Royle off early, he's 24 next season. He's not 19 and in and out the side.

As for Davies, he's had plenty bad games. He scored at Hull, the whole team did that day and they were decent tries but "great"? That's not far off propaganda haha Joey Lussick ran from half way, be one of the all time Saints tries if Davies were great.

Davies had maybe his best game for us in his game against Hull FC this year, I'm not against giving anyone praise or negativity. I'll just say it as I see it as I'm sure you feel you do as well.

You obviously have an affection for them both maybe it's because they're from the academy and I hope I end up being wrong and you're right.

This is one of the best rugby league clubs in the country with one of the best academies. We should be using the up and coming lads 19/20 for these bench spots to see what they've got and outings and not giving a 24 year old a new contract who many coaches clearly think is not good enough.

As I said earlier, I wouldn't do it but can understand Davies getting a deal for his versatility and he's had less time coming through the system.

Learning All The Songs

Gotta love thus thread with some random names being thrown around just because they're OOC with their current club. Half the players being mentions are nowhere near the standard a club like Saints need and are no better than the youngsters we already have

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Gotta love thus thread with some random names being thrown around just because they're OOC with their current club. Half the players being mentions are nowhere near the standard a club like Saints need and are no better than the youngsters we already have
    Such as? There are some decent players in that list, players that will find deals with clubs here or in the NRL. No one has said any of them are essential. Bar Delaney and Bennison there is no sign of anyone coming through at Saints at the minute. There's no hooker pushing through, no forwards outside of Delaney and no backs ever get a game either, even with the injuries we've had.

Learning All The Songs

How reliable is your milkman? Does he sometimes mix up the skimmed and semi-skimmed? Do you get your milk even when it snows? We need to know before accepting him as a reliable source.
    He delivers to Wello's house so he could have overheard him on his phone while taking his wheelie bin out?

Such as? There are some decent players in that list, players that will find deals with clubs here or in the NRL. No one has said any of them are essential. Bar Delaney and Bennison there is no sign of anyone coming through at Saints at the minute. There's no hooker pushing through, no forwards outside of Delaney and no backs ever get a game either, even with the injuries we've had.
    There are some other players in the academy with promise but that's not really the point.

This is part of the regular back and forth on signings. A few names get tossed up which I find interesting. I share some of the likes but not all.

Then we have a few stock nobody is worthy posts.

The fact that Saints have used the maximium 7 quota spots for the couple of years in itself suggests a need to look outside of the club.
    Add to that unusual pathways taken by the likes of Batchelor and Walmsley are ignored.
    Any left field names are just branded as Matty Dawson / Owens signings and sneered at.

All a bit predictable really.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

You commented the other day about the need for us to maintain high standards when recruiting so we don’t become also rans. This is then massively contradicted by claiming we should consider Sam Wood. He’s absolutely terrible.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS