Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 198 of 468 FirstFirst ... 98148178188194195196197198199200201202208218248298 ... LastLast
Results 4,926 to 4,950 of 11700

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    In every interview Hurrell does seem to want to stay it is possible he is angling for a longer deal. I can see him being a good player for a few more years, he could easily do some running in the second row off the bench if he slowed dow a bit. I think this was the plan when he signed.

However, I am not sure if he is the most motivated player when on a long term deal. The looked comfortable at Leeds and there was a noticeable drop off after signing his extension last year. I think he needs one year deals to keep him hungry.
    One year with a 1 year option that is fitness dependent ? ie. he has to keep under a certain weight and show certain fitness in training ?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Indeed - I was just getting dangerously close to playing football manager style suggestions for the year! I always say you cant really judge one transfer in isolation, you have to see how it works in the round with all of the other decisions. We could end up something like;

In: Murphy (Wakefield), Thompson (Bulldogs), Hiku (Cowboys), Balmworth (Hull FC), Cross (Salford), Wallace (Bradford)
    Out: Hopoate (Aus), Hurrell (Aus), Roby (Retired), LMS (Retired), Mata'utia (Aus), Bell (Leigh), Ritson (Barrow), Foster (Retired)
    Resigned: Wingfield, Norman, Sironen, Bruines, Buckley
    Marquee: Welsby, Dodd
    ????: Royle, Pemberton, Baxter, Hill, Sambou

(All names are just examples before anyone shoots me down, I know Murphy is in all likelihood going to Aus, but you could replace him with Davies, or Tupou or Ritson depending on your own volition. The most challenging would be a non-marquee Thompson in this scenario, though with the news today it may well become a lot more likely...)
    You were doing OK until you put Hiku on your list. He'll be 31 this year and was an absolute useless donkey when he last came to SL with Wire. Slow as a cart horse and hands like flipper. The absolute definition of a waste of a quota spot !!!

In The West Stand

Everyone else of importance is signed up past next year I think?
    2024 OOC: Hopoate (option), Hurrell, Roby, LMS, Mata'utia, Bell, Ritson (loan), Foster, Wingfield, Norman, Sironen (option), Bruines, Buckley, Royle, Pemberton, Baxter, Hill, Sambou

2024 OOC: Hopoate (option), Hurrell, Roby, LMS, Mata'utia, Bell, Ritson (loan), Foster, Wingfield, Norman, Sironen (option), Bruines, Buckley, Royle, Pemberton, Baxter, Hill, Sambou
    So Bell and Wingfield are probably the only two that you would say are important off that list that i didn't cover. You would assume both would want to re-sign.

If I remember correctly there is an agreement to make Ritsons deal permanent so that again is in the clubs favour.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    One year with a 1 year option that is fitness dependent ? ie. he has to keep under a certain weight and show certain fitness in training ?
    Possibly, that would show that the club were interested in a second year while keeping him honest.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    You were doing OK until you put Hiku on your list. He'll be 31 this year and was an absolute useless donkey when he last came to SL with Wire. Slow as a cart horse and hands like flipper. The absolute definition of a waste of a quota spot !!!
    Haa! Knew it was going to happen. Thought Hiku had a good World Cup with New Zealand and looked a decent threat. Yes hes 31, but hes the only "in prime" centre that seems to be available is Gildart (and hes never going to be the answer). Further hes a year younger than Hurrell or Hopoate, and a 2 year contract, with the expectation that Bruines steps up in that time seems sensible.

As I said though, the names were just examples, you can replace him with whomever you deem reasonable as it was just a scoping example. P Mata'utia, Brad Parker, Averillo, Hurrell or Hopoate all fit a similar shape - the joy of playing fantasy manager is you get to decide who fits. Sadly the dream of Farnworth was over before it began (and would never happen)

Starting A Programme Collection

Wingfield is top of the list for me. A player who could be one of the 1st names on the team sheet for the next decade takes priority. If we didn't have Knowles then Wingfield would already be in that position. Hopefully sirinon and matatiua don't have there heads turned by another shot in the nrl( looks likely were losing sione) but if we lose both an extension for bell wouldn't be bad option.
    It's a big few months ahead for the likes of royle and especially Dan Norman. He is 25 now and should be pushing for a spot in the 17 every week. Been in saints set up for 3 years now so no excuses. If he doesn't step up this season the likes of deleaney and Baxter will take that 4th prop spot from him. You would think with Roby retiring we would be swamped with rumours of a big number 9 signing but very quiet on that front. Surely if Pemberton is the answer we tie him down on along deal and not 12 month extensions. He needs game time this season even if at expense of lussick to see if he is the best option.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
    Wingfield is top of the list for me. A player who could be one of the 1st names on the team sheet for the next decade takes priority. If we didn't have Knowles then Wingfield would already be in that position. Hopefully sirinon and matatiua don't have there heads turned by another shot in the nrl( looks likely were losing sione) but if we lose both an extension for bell wouldn't be bad option.
    It's a big few months ahead for the likes of royle and especially Dan Norman. He is 25 now and should be pushing for a spot in the 17 every week. Been in saints set up for 3 years now so no excuses. If he doesn't step up this season the likes of deleaney and Baxter will take that 4th prop spot from him. You would think with Roby retiring we would be swamped with rumours of a big number 9 signing but very quiet on that front. Surely if Pemberton is the answer we tie him down on along deal and not 12 month extensions. He needs game time this season even if at expense of lussick to see if he is the best option.
    Bell is a tackling machine, but I haven’t particularly been impressed with his running out wide. I hope someone gets behind Norman at training and screams for him to run harder. He has the physique to be a top forward.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I think Hurrell will sign a new deal with us. He seems really happy here, he's playing well so why would we get rid?
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Watching the game with a couple of mates who are Leeds fans and they are so frustrated about how successful Hurrell has been with us. Said it’s an indication of where the 2 clubs are at that we could get the best out of him and Leeds let him go to shit.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Bell is a tackling machine, but I haven’t particularly been impressed with his running out wide. I hope someone gets behind Norman at training and screams for him to run harder. He has the physique to be a top forward.
    I like Bell he has served his purpose well. Can he step up next season and replace an outgoing sione and /or sirinon week in week out is the question. If saints don't see that in him but offer a 12 month deal to be a back up squad player would he want to stay when he would be a starter for any of the bottom half clubs in the league.
    Would love to see Norman make that step up, I think it would of happened by now if he was capable of it.walmsley paasi Lees and even lms at this stage of his career have the ability to change a game and have an impact off the bench, Norman has yet to show that hence his limited appearances.

Generally I feel like there isn't going to be a big turn around at the end of the year. You would assume that Roby and LMS must retire but that was a fair assumption last year. Roby has been talked about at length so I won't cover him again. LMS you would hope will get phased out like Amor with Wingfield and Norman getting ahead of him in the rankings by the end of the year.

Matautia feels unlikely to be he at the end if the year. From interviews he seems to have come over as he had no choice and his wife would appear to be missing her family. If there is any reasonable deal for him in Australia you assume he will take it. However we seem to have a lot of cover at second row so a direct replacement may not be required.

Sironen and Hopoate both have options. Siro is an obvious one to renew while Hopoate needs to have more appearances. It is win win with Hopoate, either he has a good season and we give him his extra year or he has more injuries and we get to spend the cap space on a new player without particularly missing him.

Everyone else of importance is signed up past next year I think?
    Hopoate's wife has recently announced that they are having another child and that will obviously factor into his decision. Same with Hurrell who had a child one month ago.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Not necessarily Saints related but I believe there will be a big departure to Aus from a Superleague club at the end of the season. The player concerned has had a massive offer and I can't see him refusing it. Where it may effect Saints and maybe Wigan is that club the player is leaving from won't be afraid to "flash the cash" to get a replacement!!

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Not necessarily Saints related but I believe there will be a big departure to Aus from a Superleague club at the end of the season. The player concerned has had a massive offer and I can't see him refusing it. Where it may effect Saints and maybe Wigan is that club the player is leaving from won't be afraid to "flash the cash" to get a replacement!!
    I assume this would be Warrington and George Williams? I know he did his stock with NRL clubs a lot of good over the World Cup.

Honestly isn’t anyone in SL whom I fear poaching at this point. I can’t see Wigan or Saints agreeing any fee with Warrington for any of their important players in contract, and they may poach more players like Nicholson but until they have their own development they’ll continue to repeat the same cycle.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
    I like Bell he has served his purpose well. Can he step up next season and replace an outgoing sione and /or sirinon week in week out is the question. If saints don't see that in him but offer a 12 month deal to be a back up squad player would he want to stay when he would be a starter for any of the bottom half clubs in the league.
    Would love to see Norman make that step up, I think it would of happened by now if he was capable of it.walmsley paasi Lees and even lms at this stage of his career have the ability to change a game and have an impact off the bench, Norman has yet to show that hence his limited appearances.
    I would be happy to keep Bell as a backup. You may be right about Norman, but I think I would like to see him get a run of games before making a decision. To a large extent it will be up to him to get that run.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I would be happy to keep Bell as a backup. You may be right about Norman, but I think I would like to see him get a run of games before making a decision. To a large extent it will be up to him to get that run.
    Norman’s contract is up so it really is make or break. If he can’t step up and at least force his way ahead of 56 year old LMS then there is possibly no hope for him.

For Bell he’s certainly a useful squad player, that may be all he ever is for us though so depends whether he’s happy with that at this stage of his career. I’m sure he’ll get plenty of decent offers from other super league clubs and I’m sure no-one would blame him for taking one.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    I think within your coment you have hit on the truth of sport at its most basic. Hiku was poor at Wire ( taking your word for that as didn't see much of him there), very much up and down at NZ Wariors but very good for NQ Cowboys. So much about how well a player goes is outside the basic ability of said player.

Got A Season Ticket

For me, Norman’s main issue is lack of aggression. He just doesn’t seem to run hard enough for such a big man. Even LMS runs much more aggressively.

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

Thought Norman was reasonably good last year but absolutely needs to kick on again to be worth another contract. He's got some great players to learn off and barely got going yet so plenty of potential for a long career.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    For me, Norman’s main issue is lack of aggression. He just doesn’t seem to run hard enough for such a big man. Even LMS runs much more aggressively.
    Posted something similar after the match Saturday for the size of him he should be as devastating as Walmsley

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    Those are exactly my thoughts. He's a massive lad but it takes a certain personality to be a top front-rower and I'm not sure he has it. I hope he proves me wrong.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Those are exactly my thoughts. He's a massive lad but it takes a certain personality to be a top front-rower and I'm not sure he has it. I hope he proves me wrong.
    Totally agree with your assessment. That said, he doesn't let us down and is a workhorse when he's on the pitch. Think on a couple of sets against Cas he was willing to take 2 drives. For the right money I would have no problem him staying as our 4th prop

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I think its incredible harsh to compare Walmsley (now) with Norman. Walmsley (2015) had many dodgy aspects of his game and didn't really hit his straps until 2016/2017 when he got his international call up. One thing Walmsley did have at this point is a guaranteed starters spot, which helped improve his game massively.

I think Norman still has all the potential of a late bloomer, but is facing increased competition from the likes of Baxter and Delaney. I would absolutely want Norman to stay as 5th prop in the squad next season, but without regular game time I don't think he will. As good as Delaney's rep is I don't think hes ready for a 10+ week stint if one of the first choice props get injured. We don't ever seem to hear much about Baxter but hes out of contract this year too.

I think its incredible harsh to compare Walmsley (now) with Norman. Walmsley (2015) had many dodgy aspects of his game and didn't really hit his straps until 2016/2017 when he got his international call up. One thing Walmsley did have at this point is a guaranteed starters spot, which helped improve his game massively.
    It would be unfair to compare him to present day Walmsley, but you don't really need to - compare him to LMS or Wingfield and you can see a difference in competitiveness and aggression. The trouble is that's not really something you can coach, IMO — you either have it in you or you don't. When Walmsley joined he clearly had a lot of things in his game that needed sorting out but he was already a real handful and it was clear he was a competitor.

To my mind Norman has got this year to prove that he can impose himself on a game, and I really hope he does — we'd have a player on our hands if so — but I'm not too optimistic about it at this stage.

In terms of Norman, one of his old coaches used to call him the handbrake which I think sums it up. I'd keep him around on very cheap wages as a 6th/7th choice prop but that's it.

On NRL 360 this morning they said Mitch Moses has been ringing Sironen trying to get him to leave Saints immediately to go to Parra.

I can't see him going now but is it his last year, yeah? Could be off at the end.

He does love it here from what I can gather, though. So maybe all hope is not lost.