Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 185 of 468 FirstFirst ... 85135165175181182183184185186187188189195205235285 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,625 of 11700

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think you are pretty right, the only thing i'm not sure on is about Walmsley. It's a different game now to when Ward and Anderson played. I don't think we can expect Walmsley to keep going the way he has for more than about 2 years max. I think after this coming season he will probably start to do shorter stints. Hopefully by then Norman or Delaney can take up the slack. Like you I would have liked to have seen us in for Wardle.
    Don’t be surprised to see us keeping a close eye on Sam Halsall playing at Huddersfield this season. Watch this space with that one.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    I fancy Dan Norman to have a big year this year.

He really matured and improved with every game he had last season and he was putting in some good shows.

Won't do any harm him being around Walmsley, LMS, Paasi, etc... more and more.

Think he could go well in 2023.
    I'd like to see Norman developing and maturing like Batchelor has - then we'll have a another good player on our hands. My only concern on Norman is he has seemed to lack a little aggression as a prop - and wonder if that's in his game. He seems clever though and maybe could be more of big minute than an impact prop... let's see how he himself and the coaching staff bring him on this year. This year could be a make or break season for him.

Paasi definitely had a stand out year with Big Al missing chunks of the year and a bit below par by his high standards. I think Lees had a stellar year too - especially as the season went on and maybe goes more unnoticed than the likes of Paasi. A Lees type player brings a good balance to the prop rotation - and i wouldn't mind if Norman and the likes of Wingfield / Delaney turning out like a Lees (long minute prop) or a Paasi (impact prop).

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Don’t be surprised to see us keeping a close eye on Sam Halsall playing at Huddersfield this season. Watch this space with that one.
    Whilst it would be great given his relatives support of Saints and his being a former Wigan player, I've seen absolutely nothing from him to suggest he's good enough to play for us. Good place for him to go though Huddersfield, they seem like they will be strong next season. If he gets decent game time we'll see what he's got.

Following up my comments regarding the centre position, Bruines is listed on the Saints website as a centre. I was under the impression he was a Fullback/Winger type player but maybe this is a hint that they see him and Ben Davies as our backup centres next year?
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think you are pretty right, the only thing i'm not sure on is about Walmsley. It's a different game now to when Ward and Anderson played. I don't think we can expect Walmsley to keep going the way he has for more than about 2 years max. I think after this coming season he will probably start to do shorter stints. Hopefully by then Norman or Delaney can take up the slack. Like you I would have liked to have seen us in for Wardle.
    Cheers.

I would point to Jamie Peacock as an example of a modern prop who lasted well into his 30s. Alex was also not a full time pro until he was into his 20s, obviously the counter argument is his neck that he broke a couple of years back. We will just have to see and trust the clubs medical staff will look after him.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Cheers.

I would point to Jamie Peacock as an example of a modern prop who lasted well into his 30s. Alex was also not a full time pro until he was into his 20s, obviously the counter argument is his neck that he broke a couple of years back. We will just have to see and trust the clubs medical staff will look after him.

Not many better than Peacock in any era.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    I'd like to see Norman developing and maturing like Batchelor has - then we'll have a another good player on our hands. My only concern on Norman is he has seemed to lack a little aggression as a prop - and wonder if that's in his game. He seems clever though and maybe could be more of big minute than an impact prop... let's see how he himself and the coaching staff bring him on this year. This year could be a make or break season for him.

Paasi definitely had a stand out year with Big Al missing chunks of the year and a bit below par by his high standards. I think Lees had a stellar year too - especially as the season went on and maybe goes more unnoticed than the likes of Paasi. A Lees type player brings a good balance to the prop rotation - and i wouldn't mind if Norman and the likes of Wingfield / Delaney turning out like a Lees (long minute prop) or a Paasi (impact prop).
    Definitely make or break for Norman with his contract up at the end of the year. He needs some decent game time to prove whether he can take LMS’s spot, pressure coming from below with Baxter and Delaney too.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Following up my comments regarding the centre position, Bruines is listed on the Saints website as a centre. I was under the impression he was a Fullback/Winger type player but maybe this is a hint that they see him and Ben Davies as our backup centres next year?
    Seemed to be half at winger and half at centre for Rabbitohs U20 last year. There was a piece doing the rounds a couple of days ago about him. Spoke extremely highly of how the club and Mike Rush have looked after him and he’s sharing a house with Tee Ritson.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Whilst it would be great given his relatives support of Saints and his being a former Wigan player, I've seen absolutely nothing from him to suggest he's good enough to play for us. Good place for him to go though Huddersfield, they seem like they will be strong next season. If he gets decent game time we'll see what he's got.
    How many times have you been to see him play Saddened?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    How many times have you been to see him play Saddened?
    Not many, maybe three or four. They didn't roll him out that much did they. I'm not discounting him, he certainly didn't do anything to suggest he's a bad player either, just didn't stand out when I saw him. He's got a good move to Huddersfield, although the competition will be as fierce there as at Wigan. If he establishes himself there he'll have done well.

In The West Stand

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2023/01/1...p-club-barrow/

Have to say thats unexpected. Given the lack of depth we have at halfback, I was expecting him to get a few games next year.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post

Have to say thats unexpected. Given the lack of depth we have at halfback, I was expecting him to get a few games next year.
    That is a surprise, he's a very good player.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    That is a surprise, he's a very good player.
    Sounds like a combination of personal circumstances (commuting from Barrow) and opportunity for regular first team rugby (more likely at Barrow - less opportunities at Saints) that has brought this about. Could be a good opportunity for the player to get some experience for a year or two and maybe a return to a SL club after that? Depending on how the relationship is between player and club - maybe we could get him back in a few years... he's still young.

Learning All The Songs

There’s not much the club can do if he wants to move on and get more guaranteed game time, i can also understand not being willing to make the commute any longer, it cant be easy spending 4 hours a day each time trainings on in a car and if he didnt want to move closer to Saints then you only get 1 conclusion.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    There’s not much the club can do if he wants to move on and get more guaranteed game time, i can also understand not being willing to make the commute any longer, it cant be easy spending 4 hours a day each time trainings on in a car and if he didnt want to move closer to Saints then you only get 1 conclusion.
    He was still under contract so you'd imagine that Saints had something written into his release that if he wants to go full time pro in a few years and play in SL then Saints have first option on singing him.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    He was still under contract so you'd imagine that Saints had something written into his release that if he wants to go full time pro in a few years and play in SL then Saints have first option on singing him.

Given the imaginative 'transfer' of Ritson has been arranged, you'd think there could well be some clauses in there to protect us.

Good prospect, though - best of luck to the lad; hope he shines and gets back to SL/Saints
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

In The South Stand

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised at that too given what everyone has said about him. I thought one of them would be coming through this year, that was the line a few on here took when we didn't promote someone this year when Dodd got injured. Who is left? Moss? Is there anyone else coming through that could be pushing harder than Archer, which means we've allowed him to go?

In The West Stand

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised at that too given what everyone has said about him. I thought one of them would be coming through this year, that was the line a few on here took when we didn't promote someone this year when Dodd got injured. Who is left? Moss? Is there anyone else coming through that could be pushing harder than Archer, which means we've allowed him to go?
    None that I can see. Going through Saints team, after Lomax, Dodd and Moss, there’s Will Roberts who I know nothing about and that seems to be it. Either it’s a calculated risk as there are some scholarship superstars whom are going to rush through the system, we seem to be very short. Maybe it’s a calculated risk knowing we’re looking at someone like Mason Lino who can play in the halves or at hooker and we think we can just make it through the year hoping that in a crisis Davies will cover again?

The club seem to have been doing a bit of media this evening, but interesting to read Walmsley is motivated for the 2025 World Cup, given the recent conversation on here. Clearly he’s thinking there’s a good 3-4 years left in him; https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...-cup-ambition/

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

None that I can see. Going through Saints team, after Lomax, Dodd and Moss, there’s Will Roberts who I know nothing about and that seems to be it. Either it’s a calculated risk as there are some scholarship superstars whom are going to rush through the system, we seem to be very short. Maybe it’s a calculated risk knowing we’re looking at someone like Mason Lino who can play in the halves or at hooker and we think we can just make it through the year hoping that in a crisis Davies will cover again?

The club seem to have been doing a bit of media this evening, but interesting to read Walmsley is motivated for the 2025 World Cup, given the recent conversation on here. Clearly he’s thinking there’s a good 3-4 years left in him; https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...-cup-ambition/
    Won't the club simply push Welsby in to the halves if they need to fill a gap at 6 or 7 this year? Because the squad is relatively stacked now with options for full back, wing and centre...club clearly have faith in Bennison and have brought in Ritson to compete for a wing spot and there's the other young player signed. Davies is there as you say. Hurrell re-signed, plus Hopoate still in the mix.

Think Lino is a good player but be surprised if Saints are looking to sign him for 2024 at least.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Won't the club simply push Welsby in to the halves if they need to fill a gap at 6 or 7 this year? Because the squad is relatively stacked now with options for full back, wing and centre...club clearly have faith in Bennison and have brought in Ritson to compete for a wing spot and there's the other young player signed. Davies is there as you say. Hurrell re-signed, plus Hopoate still in the mix.

Think Lino is a good player but be surprised if Saints are looking to sign him for 2024 at least.
    Which was the plan this year, but still needed us to play Lomax with one arm for half the year. Most thought we were short last year and wanted to sign another halfback, even with the Welsby/ Hopoate plan, but that could be mitigated with the next off the conveyor belt, however one of those has now walked out of the door (reasonably enough) and we’re back at square one, except all of us are dreading the possibility of Ben Davies in the halves. That’s before facing the possibility Welsby could get injured as well. Realistically with Archer and Moss we could Rotate between the two if we had a long term injury.

We have shown with Hopoate we are happy to consider players who play split roles, and whilst I don’t think Saints would or should be interested in Lino, he’s a good example of “spine” player who can cover the halves whilst help fill the Roby gap.

Got A Season Ticket

We signed 2 players to scholarship/academy that pretty much every team in SL wanted. One was a fullback, Harry Robertson and the other was a halfback, but for the life of me I cant remember his name but he is supposed to be absolutely quality with even NRL clubs wanting him already.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    We signed 2 players to scholarship/academy that pretty much every team in SL wanted. One was a fullback, Harry Robertson and the other was a halfback, but for the life of me I cant remember his name but he is supposed to be absolutely quality with even NRL clubs wanting him already.
    George Whitby?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    George Whitby?
    Thats the one! Both him and Robertson are going to be something special.

If we can keep them that is.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    George Whitby?
    I was told last year that the coaching staff considered him having the brightest HB potential that they had seen for a long time.

Got A Season Ticket

George Whitby was at Sale aswell but has picked Rugby League. Great kicking game and passing. Not so much of a runner.

Robertson is the opposite. Great elusive runner of the ball

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Which was the plan this year, but still needed us to play Lomax with one arm for half the year. Most thought we were short last year and wanted to sign another halfback, even with the Welsby/ Hopoate plan, but that could be mitigated with the next off the conveyor belt, however one of those has now walked out of the door (reasonably enough) and we’re back at square one, except all of us are dreading the possibility of Ben Davies in the halves. That’s before facing the possibility Welsby could get injured as well. Realistically with Archer and Moss we could Rotate between the two if we had a long term injury.

We have shown with Hopoate we are happy to consider players who play split roles, and whilst I don’t think Saints would or should be interested in Lino, he’s a good example of “spine” player who can cover the halves whilst help fill the Roby gap.
    Yeah I see what you're saying and I was one of those who said the club were short for cover in the halves ahead of the 2022 season.

I also said before recruitment was finalised ahead of this season, I would've explored the possibility of sending Lussick on loan for the year and using the spot to bring in a half/hooker for the interchange. Let's see how Lussick goes this season, but I still think it will be Roby starting most of the games. And if that's the case, Saints will have a decision to make as to whether they feel he will be lead hooker for 2024.

Here's some players I'd be looking at/monitoring to fill the said Roby gap from the off contract lists:

SL:
    Andy Ackers
    Joe Lovodua
    Daryl Clark
    Brad Dwyer

NRL:
    Connor Watson
    Jayden Nikorima
    Jacob Liddle
    Jake Turpin

No particular order. Some are lead hookers, others for the interchange.

Looking at Saints' off contract list, I do think there will be at least one quota spot to play with if needed.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE