Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 179 of 468 FirstFirst ... 79129159169175176177178179180181182183189199229279 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,475 of 11700

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    It’s that time of the off season where Wigan are linked with Owen Farrell. It’s based off of Farrell setting up a company at Companies House called Ancient & Loyal Ltd, this time.
    What? Someone from Wigan uses the Wigan Town motto as part of a company name! Hold the front pages.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    What? Someone from Wigan uses the Wigan Town motto as part of a company name! Hold the front pages.
    It seems to have kicked off rumours on social media but it feels like this particular rumour comes around annually and this time people are suggesting that it’s happening because he’s named a company after that.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

It seems to have kicked off rumours on social media but it feels like this particular rumour comes around annually and this time people are suggesting that it’s happening because he’s named a company after that.
    To be fair it would be good publicity for the game if he did sign. He must earn a fortune though.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

It’s that time of the off season where Wigan are linked with Owen Farrell. It’s based off of Farrell setting up a company at Companies House called Ancient & Loyal Ltd, this time.
    A company that was set up in 2020. Nothing new here. Farrell certainly isn’t going anywhere until after the World Cup next year. His salary is also about £750k, I know there would be massive salary cap dispensation for him but rugby league still couldn’t match what he could earn in France or Japan if he did want to stop playing for England after the World Cup.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Is he buying Wigoon

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

See Warrington have confirmed Josh Drinkwater today. Think he's a good signing for them and could form a strong partnership with George Williams.

Wonder what Catalan will do with the cap space and another free quota spot? Don't think they can just promote Mourgue, think they'll be left short and I do expect them to go in to the market. For a centre too.

Sky have put together a bit of a tracker on all the SL ins and outs so far- https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...he-2023-season
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    See Warrington have confirmed Josh Drinkwater today. Think he's a good signing for them and could form a strong partnership with George Williams.

Wonder what Catalan will do with the cap space and another free quota spot? Don't think they can just promote Mourgue, think they'll be left short and I do expect them to go in to the market. For a centre too.

Sky have put together a bit of a tracker on all the SL ins and outs so far- https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...he-2023-season
    Warrington have to win Super League next season. They will be at the strongest they have ever been in terms of their squad. Dufty, Williams, Drinkwater, Clark, Maguire is formidable. If they fail next season, they will have to start all over again due to the ages of the players they've signed. There is not much longevity to this roll of the dice, but they simply have to be vastly better.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Warrington have to win Super League next season. They will be at the strongest they have ever been in terms of their squad. Dufty, Williams, Drinkwater, Clark, Maguire is formidable. If they fail next season, they will have to start all over again due to the ages of the players they've signed. There is not much longevity to this roll of the dice, but they simply have to be vastly better.
    So what you’re saying is…….it’s their year?

In all seriousness they have gone all out on their squad for the next 2 years. Most of them are on 2 year deals. It would be a huge turnaround to win super league from how awful they were last year. If their new signings gel though they could do it. Not sure I back Powell as a coach to get the best out of those players though, a lot of egos and experience to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post

In all seriousness they have gone all out on their squad for the next 2 years. Most of them are on 2 year deals. It would be a huge turnaround to win super league from how awful they were last year. If their new signings gel though they could do it. Not sure I back Powell as a coach to get the best out of those players though, a lot of egos and experience to manage.
    You'd have to think they'll go better than this year, that's for sure with the signings they've made!

Interesting that they've made quite a few changes to the support staff as well- new assistant coaches (including Richard Marshall whom was at Saints not too long a go), new lead S&C and Sports Scientist.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

They've just signed a load of players again in the hope they can put a side capable of winning SL together, but they're still weak in areas. Look at their wingers and centres, very weak and not much depth either.

Their halves are better and no doubt their pack is stronger, but its all got to gel together, and to win SL they have to get a serious monkey off their back. I'm not sure if Powell is the man to do that and I don't look at their squad and think it's anywhere near as balanced or as good as Saints or Wigan.

A good season for them would be to hope their team settles quickly and to compete around the top 4/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

Dufty was the worst FB in the NRL by a country mile. Despite Wire claiming he'll play at 6 the signing of Drinkwater almost certainly means he'll be at 1. Anyone playing Wire know if they break the first line of defence then they're pretty much guaranteed to score as Dufty is nothing more than a tiny speed hump.
    Williams may have played well for England but was truly awful for Wire last year.
    Drinkwater is being 'bigged up' as Wire's superstar but like Williams he was awful last season
    Clarke hasn't been playing well for a couple of seasons now, why do people suddenly think he'll be great next season.
    Maguire was a top class forward about 4-5 years ago, his last few years have been absolutely awful, looks like a complete has-been.

Admittedly they can't be any worse than last year but those new signing's aren't going to suddenly take Wire to a SL title.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Dufty was the worst FB in the NRL by a country mile. Despite Wire claiming he'll play at 6 the signing of Drinkwater almost certainly means he'll be at 1. Anyone playing Wire know if they break the first line of defence then they're pretty much guaranteed to score as Dufty is nothing more than a tiny speed hump.
    Williams may have played well for England but was truly awful for Wire last year.
    Drinkwater is being 'bigged up' as Wire's superstar but like Williams he was awful last season
    Clarke hasn't been playing well for a couple of seasons now, why do people suddenly think he'll be great next season.
    Maguire was a top class forward about 4-5 years ago, his last few years have been absolutely awful, looks like a complete has-been.

Admittedly they can't be any worse than last year but those new signing's aren't going to suddenly take Wire to a SL title.
    I think Williams's form is largely explained by their feeble front row, which will look a lot different next year.

Dufty is an interesting one. From the outside looking in, it seems that they've given themselves a lot of problems over the last few years by signing morons, and from what I've read online (which I know is not necessarily reliable) signing Dufty isn't exactly going to help in that regard.
    Last edited by Dux; 24th November 2022 at 10:08.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport...sters-25590298

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    Be hilarious if that Jared Waerea-Hargreaves was going there too, given I've seen a few giddy Wigan posts about him going to the Piedome

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post

I guess they've got two years, but the likes of Kasiano and Dudson will presumably be on the decline by then. To clarify I'm not saying they WILL win Super League because they're the best team, just that they've thrown the kitchen sink, the baby and the caravan at it. If they flop next year they'll be looking at a new coach and potentially half a team being replaced again. It's an enormous risk.

It adds to the competition though. Super League would be stronger if Wire, Wigan and Leeds, even Catalans were all fighting for the trophies next season. I can't wait for the start of next season. I suspect if we do make the trip over to Aus, we'll be languishing mid table early on and a few rival teams will be full of themselves, or in complete dismay.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Matty Russell re-signed for Wire. Another move to take them towards the title
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In fairness Saint Toppy, not sure anyone ever said Dufty would play 6- where has that come from? He was always going to play full back for them and as we both know, NRL and SL are very different competitions. Dufty has every chance of being one of the most effective full backs in SL next year if you ask me.

Williams was playing behind a beaten pack more often than not this past season. You can see with the signings that they've made in the forwards, that they've recognised the problem they had. They should be able to get field position with the pack they'll have. Drinkwater's signing should also allow Williams to focus on what he's best at too, instinctive play.

What are your thoughts of Vaughan? He was good for the Bulldogs this year and so you'd think he'll make a fair amount of metres for Warrington. Then they've got Kasiano's ability to offload. That brings Dufty, Williams and Clark in to the game off his shoulder. And on Clark specifically, the motivation has to be there for him next year... he has been given a kick up the backside in missing selection for the World Cup. Put him behind quick ruck speed and that's when he's at his best. You were championing him for Saints not too long a go weren't you?

Think Maguire could be a ball playing 13 for them. His best days are behind him yes, but again, NRL and SL are different comps.

Whether all the changes are enough to take them to the SL title, only time will tell. They should be better than last year though and that is good for the competition!

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I'd say Keighran is more of a utility than an out-and-out centre. Much like Tyrone May. Interesting how they use both then, for next year.

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    It's getting some ridicule which I can understand but he had a decent year in a struggling team. They have Minikin on the books and I would have Russell over him any day.

Wire just chucking the money about and buying players in areas they have needed for a while.

I am dubious over the likes of Kasiano, Maguire, Vaughan, etc... Kasiano is hot and cold, looks amazing on some days but then looks like he can't be bothered on others. I don't rate Dudson and never have so not overly bothered about who he plays for as long as it isn't Saints!

Drinkwater has the goods to form a good partnership with Williams, but they will have to gel.

Like others have said, Clarke is no where near what he was a few years back!

Learning All The Songs

In fairness Saint Toppy, not sure anyone ever said Dufty would play 6- where has that come from? He was always going to play full back for them and as we both know, NRL and SL are very different competitions. Dufty has every chance of being one of the most effective full backs in SL next year if you ask me.

Williams was playing behind a beaten pack more often than not this past season. You can see with the signings that they've made in the forwards, that they've recognised the problem they had. They should be able to get field position with the pack they'll have. Drinkwater's signing should also allow Williams to focus on what he's best at too, instinctive play.

What are your thoughts of Vaughan? He was good for the Bulldogs this year and so you'd think he'll make a fair amount of metres for Warrington. Then they've got Kasiano's ability to offload. That brings Dufty, Williams and Clark in to the game off his shoulder. And on Clark specifically, the motivation has to be there for him next year... he has been given a kick up the backside in missing selection for the World Cup. Put him behind quick ruck speed and that's when he's at his best. You were championing him for Saints not too long a go weren't you?

Think Maguire could be a ball playing 13 for them. His best days are behind him yes, but again, NRL and SL are different comps.

Whether all the changes are enough to take them to the SL title, only time will tell. They should be better than last year though and that is good for the competition!

Thanks for sharing! I'd say Keighran is more of a utility than an out-and-out centre. Much like Tyrone May. Interesting how they use both then, for next year.
    Dufty is only in Super League because no other NRL side wanted him, and its hardly like he wanted the move to Super League, last year he was quoted as saying ‘I talk to my manager every day. There’s always overseas if I want to go there, but I think I’m an NRL player, and it’s a bit disrespectful to myself and what I want to achieve if I go over there now.’

I look at the forwards they have signed and see people heading in to the twilight of their careers, Paul Vaughan is 31, Josh Maguire is 32, Sam Kasiano 32, Gil Dudson 32 all of them have 200+ games behind them and the wear and tear associated with that, with Vaughan and Maguire we have seen more than enough evidence that players of that age coming over being busted flushes, its a lottery what they will be like.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Dufty is only in Super League because no other NRL side wanted him, and its hardly like he wanted the move to Super League, last year he was quoted as saying ‘I talk to my manager every day. There’s always overseas if I want to go there, but I think I’m an NRL player, and it’s a bit disrespectful to myself and what I want to achieve if I go over there now.’

I look at the forwards they have signed and see people heading in to the twilight of their careers, Paul Vaughan is 31, Josh Maguire is 32, Sam Kasiano 32, Gil Dudson 32 all of them have 200+ games behind them and the wear and tear associated with that, with Vaughan and Maguire we have seen more than enough evidence that players of that age coming over being busted flushes, its a lottery what they will be like.
    There's a reason nobody else in the NRL wanted him - he weas useless !
    He got slated week after week for poor defence, inability to catch a high ball, too afraid to support the forwards up the middle and wear a big hit.
    As for the forwards the only one who's still able to play at a good level is Vaughn. Pity he's a total ****head off the field !

I wonder if we also spoke with him...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Dufty is only in Super League because no other NRL side wanted him
    Let’s be fair: that’s true of pretty much every former NRL player playing in the UK.

There's a reason nobody else in the NRL wanted him - he weas useless !
    He got slated week after week for poor defence, inability to catch a high ball, too afraid to support the forwards up the middle and wear a big hit.
    As for the forwards the only one who's still able to play at a good level is Vaughn. Pity he's a total ****head off the field !
    Exactly. There is no doubt Dufty could be a great attacking force for Warrington but he’s a liability in defence and, if teams target him, could cost as many tries as he makes. Bit like Matty Bowen when he was at Wigan.

Matty Russell’s dropped out of the league, been relegated and then relegated again in his last 3 seasons with 3 different clubs. Fingers crossed he keeps the streak going!