Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 158 of 468 FirstFirst ... 58108138148154155156157158159160161162168178208258 ... LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 11700

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    Thought Mansour was brilliant today. Reminds me of Tommy
    . Runs in hard and very experienced
    Jake Maizen for Italy went really well. Tooks his tries well and was a handful.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    I agree. I was googling him to see if he was playing for anyone. Do work permits not exist anymore? I didn't think you could sign amateur players from Australia?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Turns out I may not have to; rumours on the Salford forum that they are looking to take on Bell (https://deviltalk.co.uk/thread/37/ru...hread?page=367)
    Now that is incredibly interesting.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Do work permits not exist anymore? I didn't think you could sign amateur players from Australia?
    International appearances count towards work permit quotas

Got A Season Ticket

Going to give it a watch in bed now

I agree. I was googling him to see if he was playing for anyone. Do work permits not exist anymore? I didn't think you could sign amateur players from Australia?
    Playing International RL in this world cup will give a QLd/NSW Cup player the opportunity to get a work permit.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

I thought the same Gerry and commented on him in the World Cup thread straight after the game.

The try he bombed, dropping the ball over the line could've easily effected his confidence but went on to make up for that with the hat trick. Showed his strength with one and then his speed to go the length. Picked more at centre for his club side it seems- https://www.qrl.com.au/players/qrl-p...s/jake-maizen/

Certainly seems a player for Saints to look at.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I thought the same Gerry and commented on him in the World Cup thread straight after the game.

The try he bombed, dropping the ball over the line could've easily effected his confidence but went on to make up for that with the hat trick. Showed his strength with one and then his speed to go the length. Picked more at centre for his club side it seems- https://www.qrl.com.au/players/qrl-p...s/jake-maizen/

https://www.facebook.com/sunshinecoa...9900704019633/

Highlight reels are never an absolute guide but looks like he can play a bit.

https://www.facebook.com/sunshinecoa...9900704019633/

Highlight reels are never an absolute guide but looks like he can play a bit.
    Indeed it does. See he had #1 on his back in some of that footage as well. Looks a talent with the ball and good athleticism.

In The South Stand

You don't sign an relatively unknown 25 year old overseas player that hasn't played first grade. IF an overseas spot opens up then it will be a known player.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    You don't sign an relatively unknown 25 year old overseas player that hasn't played first grade. IF an overseas spot opens up then it will be a known player.
    I agree that is the likely mindset from a SL Club (not just Saints).

However I would ask the question why ?

An overseas version of Deon Cross or Joe Batchelor are worth considering rather than dismissing out of hand.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I agree that is the likely mindset from a SL Club (not just Saints).

However I would ask the question why ?

An overseas version of Deon Cross or Joe Batchelor are worth considering rather than dismissing out of hand.
    Both of those players have taken time to adapt and we've been able to slowly integrate Batchelor and develop him to player he has become. He's also British so no risk to the quota spots. With a quota spot you want somebody that is 1st team ready and can impact the team now, not a project player that may turn out good but may not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Both of those players have taken time to adapt and we've been able to slowly integrate Batchelor and develop him to player he has become. He's also British so no risk to the quota spots. With a quota spot you want somebody that is 1st team ready and can impact the team now, not a project player that may turn out good but may not.
    And someone who is not consistently on the physio table or realises they are busted both on top dollar.

Equally recruiting to a quota spot where you are well stacked so they don't get a regular game is not best use of a quota spot.

Big/Established names are a risk also.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

And someone who is not consistently on the physio table or realises they are busted both on top dollar.

Equally recruiting to a quota spot where you are well stacked so they don't get a regular game is not best use of a quota spot.

Big/Established names are a risk also.
    If you are referring to Hopoate, I think we've just been unfortunate with him. His injury record the last few years has been fine when you check how many appearances he has made.

As for Bell, he's been good when he's played. I do agree he's a player we dont necessarily need given our quality in the back row.

Established players are a risk of course, as is any player you sign, but a proven player is less of a risk than an unproven one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

I hear what you're saying Brook, but I'd say if there's any side in SL that can afford to take a chance on an outside back, it's Saints. Especially at a time when the squad is lacking in depth out wide and has the loss of Grace's speed to think about.

Yes he's a quota player and Saints don't have a spot available. We've discussed Bell and Hopoate extensively of course... at least one of the two don't make the first choice 17, whichever way you look at it.

Josh Mansour doesn't fit the bill for me in terms of offering strike and whilst I've said November 1 may be a time when a player could become available from the NRL unexpectedly, in all likelihood it will be a back up winger that the club will be able to attract anyway. Dom Young or Farnworth wanting to come home anytime soon would be great though unlikely.

Just to say as well, Cody Walker didn't debut in the NRL until 26 and he's now regarded as one of the best players in the competition. I'm not saying this player will go on and do that, but you get my point. The talent pool is much richer over there.

Leeds took a punt on their coach from the QLD cup as well didn't they? He's doing well for them. It can happen.

In The South Stand

I hear what you're saying Brook, but I'd say if there's any side in SL that can afford to take a chance on an outside back, it's Saints. Especially at a time when the squad is lacking in depth out wide and has the loss of Grace's speed to think about.

Yes he's a quota player and Saints don't have a spot available. We've discussed Bell and Hopoate extensively of course... at least one of the two don't make the first choice 17, whichever way you look at it.

Josh Mansour doesn't fit the bill for me in terms of offering strike and whilst I've said November 1 may be a time when a player could become available from the NRL unexpectedly, in all likelihood it will be a back up winger that the club will be able to attract anyway. Dom Young or Farnworth wanting to come home anytime soon would be great though unlikely.

Just to say as well, Cody Walker didn't debut in the NRL until 26 and he's now regarded as one of the best players in the competition. I'm not saying this player will go on and do that, but you get my point. The talent pool is much richer over there.

Leeds took a punt on their coach from the QLD cup as well didn't they? He's doing well for them. It can happen.
    I would rather we take a chance on a home grown player who we can drip into the team and develop over time and not tie up a valuable quota spot.

Yes the quota spot has been talked about many times and out of the two it's probably Bell that we would move on as we are not short of young forwards coming through. Leading me onto Mansour,yes i get what you are saying about strike,but if he is the best that is available then him being an out and out winger would be more beneficial to us now,he's experienced so his positioning won't be an issue . It's swings and roundabouts really,he isn't the fastest player,we can all agree on that,but he would offer something to us and IF we can keep both halves fit then he would certainly offer a threat out wide.

I get what you are saying about Walker,but they could watch his development without the issue of a quota spot that we would be giving up on a player that may or may not make it.

Rohan Smith had plenty of assistant coach experience. Under Tony Rea at london,then under his Dad in the NRL and also Penrith and Gold Coast. Add to that his head coach spell at Bradford and it's not like they have just plucked an inexperienced coach from the QLD cup.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

The Queensland Cup is a pretty strong competition, though. I reckon you'd put it between the Super League and the Championship.

In The South Stand

George Burgess released by St George today. I'd say Warrington but they have 43 props as it is. Possibly Leeds? I can't see him getting another NRL contract, unless the Dolphins are desperate?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Default Transfer Rumours - All in Here

George Burgess released by St George today. I'd say Warrington but they have 43 props as it is. Possibly Leeds? I can't see him getting another NRL contract, unless the Dolphins are desperate?
    He has a ‘sexual touching’ case to answer at a hearing in February, not sure anyone will touch him before the outcome of that is known. Still looked buggered from his injury as well so hopefully Saints stay well clear.
    Last edited by The Wee Waa Womble; 18th October 2022 at 11:16.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Bloody big humans the Burgess clan

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

It seems every time a winger has a good game on telly people think we should be signing him. Maizen had a good game, against Ireland. As for a highlights reel you could probably put a highlights reel looking good for Jack Owens and Steve Tyrer.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Got A Season Ticket

100% staying in Aus, even if he cant get a contract over there. He will just do something else for work

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    It seems every time a winger has a good game on telly people think we should be signing him. Maizen had a good game, against Ireland. As for a highlights reel you could probably put a highlights reel looking good for Jack Owens and Steve Tyrer.
    Nobody really saying we should sign anyone straight off the bat ,on the basis of a world cup cameo.

However given we are "scouring the markets" and "not many available" .
    I think the suggestion is that Saints should be receptive to considering and investigating the unorthodox. That's all.

Josh Perry probably had a decent highlights reel and a great CV. There always a counter argument.

Nobody would argue that Edwin Ipape isn't a diamond unearthed from the Aussies second tier comp who will go great in SL.
    There are probably plenty of duds and whoely unsutiable players in that comp also.

I don't really see the problem with fans keeping eye out and taking an interest in areas that all SL clubs rarely look.

Learning All The Songs

Nobody would argue that Edwin Ipape isn't a diamond unearthed from the Aussies second tier comp who will go great in SL.
    I would ! Ipape is nowhere near as great as some keep making out. Sure he puts in the odd big hit and run from dummy half but watch what he does the rest of the time. For every big his there's 3-4 misses and his acting half ball distribution isn't great both accuracy of passes and decision making.
    There's a lot of areas of his game he seriously needs to improve on, but i'm sure that wont stop the Sky boys creaming themselves over him next season.

Banned

Hardaker leaving Leeds. Problems aside he’d be good back up and it would wind the Wigan lot up