Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 468 FirstFirst 123456789152555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Leeds? I thought a different team was signing him?
    I've only heard Leeds (Fages to Hudds)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I'm sure Reacher posted that Wire are in for Bentley aswell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Can we sign him first before we start to argue the merits of playing him out of position or not.
    We have to wait to see if Wire want him first 😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I've only heard Leeds (Fages to Hudds)
    Leeds are the ones who have been in his ear with a big contract. We have offered him what we can afford & what we feel is right in line with other players. Have to see what happens now of course due to his injury.

Noooobie

No one man is bigger than the team. I was thinking about Bentley because I don't think the pack has been as effective this season. Bentley is a tough kid, one I would put on the team sheet at the same time as Morgan Knowles. The brilliant Roby looks as though time is catching up on him somewhat... that is why I view Bentley as important to keep.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsfan57 View Post
    No one man is bigger than the team. I was thinking about Bentley because I don't think the pack has been as effective this season. Bentley is a tough kid, one I would put on the team sheet at the same time as Morgan Knowles. The brilliant Roby looks as though time is catching up on him somewhat... that is why I view Bentley as important to keep.
    It’s a pity Bentley can’t pass off the floor with speed and accuracy, he could be a decent hooker with a work rate similar to Roby a few seasons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    It’s a pity Bentley can’t pass off the floor with speed and accuracy, he could be a decent hooker with a work rate similar to Roby a few seasons ago.
    This is so true and a great point. He has been tried there and that was his only failing. Morgan Knowles was a much better fill in than Bentley for that reason alone.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Surely this is something that can be taught/learned?

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    I must be the only one on here with serious reservations about Dufty. Those clips show his highlights, and his attacking play was never in question. Pity we can't find his 'lowlights reel' as well, you know the one that shows all the dropped high balls and missed 1 on 1 tackles. Welsby gets criticised for being 'dodgey' under the high ball, well Dufty aint any better.
    Don't get drawn in in by the likes of Stevo into thinking he's some sort of superstar just because he's an Aussie.

I'm not sure that's fair Saint Toppy; his nationality has nothing to do with it and I've not said he's a superstar either. Rather I've highlighted his credentials as a player who is off contract. I do think he would be a great signing for Saints IF they can do it, because of what he could bring to the attack- his ability to create something out of nothing with his speed and evasiveness would bring a new dimension to what is currently a struggling attack, with little dynamism in the pivot positions.

I have asked you several times who you would go for, but you haven't been forthcoming with any suggestions. If you are of the thinking that Saints should put Welsby there, I'd say that at this moment in time, Dufty would be the better option 100%! He has his limitations of course, but even James Tedesco, rated the best full back in the game, can be vulnerable under a bomb, as was Slater before him. Full backs these days are picked for what they can do ball in hand and are strike weapons.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    What about a cheeky bid for Jamie Shaul ? I've no idea if he's off contract BTW but have always thought he was a real threat with the ball, good defensively too. Wind up Jake is keeping him out as we know.
    Maybe we should re-sign Lama Tasi and Jake Owens while we are at it.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I'm sure Reacher posted that Wire are in for Bentley aswell?
    Everyone I seems to think Leeds but would not surprise me one bit if Wire got him

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I'm not sure that's fair Saint Toppy; his nationality has nothing to do with it and I've not said he's a superstar either. Rather I've highlighted his credentials as a player who is off contract. I do think he would be a great signing for Saints IF they can do it, because of what he could bring to the attack- his ability to create something out of nothing with his speed and evasiveness would bring a new dimension to what is currently a struggling attack, with little dynamism in the pivot positions.

I have asked you several times who you would go for, but you haven't been forthcoming with any suggestions. If you are of the thinking that Saints should put Welsby there, I'd say that at this moment in time, Dufty would be the better option 100%! He has his limitations of course, but even James Tedesco, rated the best full back in the game, can be vulnerable under a bomb, as was Slater before him. Full backs these days are picked for what they can do ball in hand and are strike weapons.
    We don't often agree but Dufty would light up super league. Terrific player

Learning All The Songs

Bentleys agent will have a lot to do with him leaving (showmethemoney) he's a massive Leeds Rhino's fan and pulled a lot of strings to get his top players there? Gale, Oledski, Mellor, & now Bentley
    He's well in with Danny Maguire at Hull KR so a lot of his young players he moves there until Leeds come calling.

Got A Season Ticket

Might just be me but it has the feeling we could be in for a possibly rough time over the next year or two. All our rivals are signing or chasing people and we don’t seem to be able to keep what we have.

Toby King is staying with the scum so we don’t seem to be have the resources to even attract our opponents players either.

Maybe I’m just being pessimistic but the only likelihood surrounding transfers for Saints at present is for those leaving, anyone coming is only a rumour at a push.

We could really do with some positive recruitment news.

Quote Originally Posted by A.O.88 View Post
    Might just be me but it has the feeling we could be in for a possibly rough time over the next year or two. All our rivals are signing or chasing people and we don’t seem to be able to keep what we have.

Toby King is staying with the scum so we don’t seem to be have the resources to even attract our opponents players either.

Maybe I’m just being pessimistic but the only likelihood surrounding transfers for Saints at present is for those leaving, anyone coming is only a rumour at a push.

I think it’s too early to panic yet. King accepted a massive offer from Warrington (rumoured to be around £170k/annum) who have overpaid him in my opinion. No way we were going to offer anywhere near that for him.

We have secured Lomax and Walmsley who are our key players. I’m sure there will be signings to go in place of those that do leave and if there isn’t then we have some good young players coming through who we can give game time to.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.O.88 View Post

Think this is OTT. Everything is he said she said at the moment.

Last season we went big with Matautia, Paasi, Thompson this despite covid. Granted the latter hasn’t yet shown what he’s capable of.

We also got in Norman who attracted a lot of interest elsewhere.

Just because we didn’t get King doesn’t mean it’s a failure? There’s a cap and why would we pay over the odds. He’s obviously comfortable at Warrington hence him staying despite NRL interest.

With regards to not being able to keep players, no one has been confirmed as leaving. Everyone seems to think Bentley has gone but this hasn’t been confirmed. IMO it would be awful news if he left, we beat off a lot of clubs to get him in the first place, he was outstanding last year and deserves to stay, if he leaves because we have Thompson on our books that would be awful based on age, quota, and how he’s performed so far. Other posters seem to think Bentley wouldn’t be a big loss which baffles me.

I think Fages will stay with how Woolf has repeatedly said we’d love him to stay. Coote appears up in the air but surely a deadline for his decision must be set if players like Dufty are becoming available. Naiqama, performs consistently well however would he prevent Welsby’s progression, also not sure if he’s a high earner which may push him out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I think Wire had to keep King, it'd have sent a massively poor message if they'd lost him when they've thrown money at inglis. Saints and other have pushed the price up, so job done

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    I think it’s too early to panic yet. King accepted a massive offer from Warrington (rumoured to be around £170k/annum) who have overpaid him in my opinion. No way we were going to offer anywhere near that for him.

We have secured Lomax and Walmsley who are our key players. I’m sure there will be signings to go in place of those that do leave and if there isn’t then we have some good young players coming through who we can give game time to.
    As a home grown player King should only count for £100k on their cap so once the bidding reached that from other clubs Wire had the option to blow everyone else out of the water.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    As a home grown player King should only count for £100k on their cap so once the bidding reached that from other clubs Wire had the option to blow everyone else out of the water.
    The RFL website says the exemption is as follows: -

Club Trained Dispensation – Each Super League club is given up to £100,000 of dispensation for producing Super League standard players
    I interpret that to mean that is an exemption across the whole cap rather than on each specific player. That £100k is likely used on Mike Cooper too so I am not sure your statement is correct.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post

I do think Welsby deserves his chance if Coote leaves. Aside form the fact he would cost a fraction of what they would have to pay for someone like Dufty it sends out a really good message to the rest of the other youngsters at the club that if you train hard and show you have the potential then you'll get your chance in the first team.
    By the end of this season Welsby will have been in & around the 1st team squad for over 2 years. Aside from the mistakes you'll get with any young player and the fact he's been moved around into numerous different positions, the lads done pretty well, he scored the match winning GF try with his attitude to never give up. As a local lad who's grown up watching Saints you know he'll give his all week in week out. Bringing in any overseas player is a gamble, you just never know if they'll settle and perform no matter how well they may have been playing in the NRL.

I'd much rather us play Welsby at 1 and us the money to invest in a top quality centre to replace Naquiama and then use one of the available quota spots to bolster the front row and the remainder of the money to retain Bentley.

I think people are a bit way of having young / inexperienced players at 1 7 and 9 as could be the case if coote farges and roby all leave in the summer.

As long as Roby stays I'd be happy with Dodd at 7 and Welsby at 1 and as ST says a top class centre coming in for Naquiama , however if this Dufty is good and we can get him play him 1 and play Welsby centre. As for that young Bradford Prop Scurr we linked with in this thread not seen him play but looks a big unit and Bradford produce a lot of good forwards he could be a handy signing him

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I do think Welsby deserves his chance if Coote leaves. Aside form the fact he would cost a fraction of what they would have to pay for someone like Dufty it sends out a really good message to the rest of the other youngsters at the club that if you train hard and show you have the potential then you'll get your chance in the first team.
    By the end of this season Welsby will have been in & around the 1st team squad for over 2 years. Aside from the mistakes you'll get with any young player and the fact he's been moved around into numerous different positions, the lads done pretty well, he scored the match winning GF try with his attitude to never give up. As a local lad who's grown up watching Saints you know he'll give his all week in week out. Bringing in any overseas player is a gamble, you just never know if they'll settle and perform no matter how well they may have been playing in the NRL.

I'd much rather us play Welsby at 1 and us the money to invest in a top quality centre to replace Naquiama and then use one of the available quota spots to bolster the front row and the remainder of the money to retain Bentley.
    Maybe Saints are looking at the market and not seeing many quality centres available (and we have already missed out on King) whereas Dufty is available and is too good an opportunity to miss should Coote leave? Welsby can always be our 1st choice Centre for a season alongside Percival, Simm back up for a season and then we re-assess the market again?

If full strength Welsby probably wouldn't be in our starting 13 but he's played every game this season, so it shows the opportunities are there for him.

Who's knows what Saints are planning, it's all speculation at this stage but sometimes you've got to take good opportunities that become available, even if it is short term
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

I think like most fans here, I'd love a 1-17 of players who'd all come through our system. But only if they were as good players as we could get.

I get your point about Welsby, but with FB being such a pivotal position in the modern game, I don't think he has the skills and pace for that position at this stage of his career, so if he replaces Coote, then we lose a lot of effectiveness - from the 2019 and 2020 Coote anyway, and we've seen how having a FB not playing at a high level this season is harming our attack.

If there was a chance of getting Dufty for even one season, then we should. In terms of attacking threat, he's leagues ahead of Welsby (and 2021 Coote)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Maybe Saints are looking at the market and not seeing many quality centres available (and we have already missed out on King) whereas Dufty is available and is too good an opportunity to miss should Coote leave? Welsby can always be our 1st choice Centre for a season alongside Percival, Simm back up for a season and then we re-assess the market again?

If full strength Welsby probably wouldn't be in our starting 13 but he's played every game this season, so it shows the opportunities are there for him.

Who's knows what Saints are planning, it's all speculation at this stage but sometimes you've got to take good opportunities that become available, even if it is short term

:thumbsup:

A few points ,
    How much money do you think Coote is on if we can sign a top class centre and an Aussie prop and still have enough left over to convince Bentley to stay ?
    Where do we find this top class centre ?
    Which prop is available in the NRL that would come over for the package we could offer given we are also signing a top class centre ?
    What if Bentley's demands don't fit in with our squad structure regarding experienced players, bearing in mind he is still very much learning the game in many ways ?
    Bentley's head has been turned by Leeds, his injury may stymie his ambitions though.