Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 209 of 468 FirstFirst ... 109159189199205206207208209210211212213219229259309 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,225 of 11700

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post

If I was a Wire fan I would absolutely hate us

Consider yourself fortunate/blessed.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Why do people always do this? We lose a competition leading player and everyone wants to replace them with some four stripe development/bargain basement fodder that is nowhere near the level of the player we're losing. It's that kind of mentality that will turn us into Hull KR and end this run of success. If we're losing Hurrell, Sironen, Mata'utia and Roby they all need to be replaced with the best quality senior players we possibly can do.
    100% not content with bargain basement some want mediocre players returning to us who weren't good enough 5 6 7 yrs ago never mind now eg Ashurst Dixon Savelio and Bentley one of the recent ones

Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    100% not content with bargain basement some want mediocre players returning to us who weren't good enough 5 6 7 yrs ago never mind now eg Ashurst Dixon Savelio and Bentley one of the recent ones
    Wasn't advocating us buying bargain basement buys or resigning ex playes for the sake of it, I asked whether we would consider Bentley as he did do a very good job for us and is off contract end of season, he free's up a quota spot if he comes as replacement for matautia plus wouldn't cost the earth. There was logic behind the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nazareth View Post
    Consider yourself fortunate/blessed.
    Oh I do, three birds, one stone.

1. Never lived in Warrington
    2. Never supported Warrington
    3. Its been my teams year the last 4 years.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

https://twitter.com/TripleM_NRL/stat...ynw27w4HA&s=19

Jammer isn't a fan of this thread...
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
    Wasn't advocating us buying bargain basement buys or resigning ex playes for the sake of it, I asked whether we would consider Bentley as he did do a very good job for us and is off contract end of season, he free's up a quota spot if he comes as replacement for matautia plus wouldn't cost the earth. There was logic behind the suggestion.
    Fair point and shouldn't be ruled out. The player pool is small. Bentley is 25 now and should be maturing. Thought he got better as last season went on for Leeds.

Do think there's something in trying to sign players from your rivals. Similar to the interest in Clark. Would be smart business to weaken the opposition and leave them with the problem of finding an adequate replacement.

May see more of these domestic moves with the difficulty in recruiting from the NRL... we see Catalan got Keighran on a 1 year deal. Same with Tyrone May the year before. Think he's (May) re-signed on the same terms this year. These are players that see their future in the NRL and not looking to commit to long-term deals.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Really like the look of Tyler Dupree at Salford, been great for them so far this season and played well back end of last year. Got couple of years left on contract at Salford but only 23, one to keep an eye on i think

Really like the look of Tyler Dupree at Salford, been great for them so far this season and played well back end of last year. Got couple of years left on contract at Salford but only 23, one to keep an eye on i think
    I called for his signing last year.
    He was at Widnes and there for the signing by any SL team.

Listening to Amor talk about his approach to his last season sometimes its not always best to squeeze one more year out of a player.

Good British props are hard to find , one that got away.

Leeds must feel even worse they let him go to Oldham.

Got A Season Ticket

My cousin is Matty Fozard at Widnes and he said Dupree was super strong at Widnes.

If Saints are interested in bringing in a new prop and a ready made one at that...

From the SL off contract list, I'd be looking at Chris Satae. He's stood out for Hull when I've seen them and think he could be a good pick up.

Starting A Programme Collection Mr.Yat's Avatar

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/sky-s...leeming-71278/

Rumoured Saints could make a move for Leeming???

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Yat View Post
    https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/sky-s...leeming-71278/

Rumoured Saints could make a move for Leeming???
    Hardly a rumour its 1 person’s suggestion with little basis behind it, with Roby retiring they are going to try to link us with any hooker.

In The West Stand

Satae is an excellent prop, but I don’t think he would work well with Paasi, and with Walmsley looking likely to need to start reducing minutes in the coming years as well, it could leave us with 3 props who all need careful management. Further we need someone who could come in as a pack leader, as someone to bridge the gap whilst the likes of Delaney and Buckley bed in.

I think it’s clear we need a prop (I have been trying to replace LMS for the last 3 years in the yearly rumours thread!) for next year. People may point to Delaney but I can’t see him getting more than 5 games this year, and the jump from that to first choice is massive. In all likelihood one of Paasi or Walmsley will need phasing out over the next 2-3 years and that’s the perfect time frame for him, whilst stepping up to “5th prop” as it were.

I am still on all roads lead to Thompson, accepting his latest injury makes him a massive risk, but a risk worth taking, as long as he doesn’t take a marquee spot. If that isn’t an option however, there is still the option to move Knowles into the front row, Wingfield into the 13 shirt and go big on replacing Mata’utia. Knowles seems to have stalled in his development slightly, albeit still the top lock in the country, but can’t quite seem to improve his minutes, or his discipline. A move to the front row might help kick on to the next phase, and he was excellent in his England appearance when he played there. It would cement him and Lees as the cornerstone of our pack, and signal the start of our transition with Wingfield coming into the team (whom I really rate)

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Satae is an excellent prop, but I don’t think he would work well with Paasi, and with Walmsley looking likely to need to start reducing minutes in the coming years as well, it could leave us with 3 props who all need careful management. Further we need someone who could come in as a pack leader, as someone to bridge the gap whilst the likes of Delaney and Buckley bed in.

I think it’s clear we need a prop (I have been trying to replace LMS for the last 3 years in the yearly rumours thread!) for next year. People may point to Delaney but I can’t see him getting more than 5 games this year, and the jump from that to first choice is massive. In all likelihood one of Paasi or Walmsley will need phasing out over the next 2-3 years and that’s the perfect time frame for him, whilst stepping up to “5th prop” as it were.

I am still on all roads lead to Thompson, accepting his latest injury makes him a massive risk, but a risk worth taking, as long as he doesn’t take a marquee spot. If that isn’t an option however, there is still the option to move Knowles into the front row, Wingfield into the 13 shirt and go big on replacing Mata’utia. Knowles seems to have stalled in his development slightly, albeit still the top lock in the country, but can’t quite seem to improve his minutes, or his discipline. A move to the front row might help kick on to the next phase, and he was excellent in his England appearance when he played there. It would cement him and Lees as the cornerstone of our pack, and signal the start of our transition with Wingfield coming into the team (whom I really rate)
    Phil Gould was asked again about Thompson, last week on Twitter-
    https://twitter.com/PhilGould15/stat...DT8ZOwzLUtAAAA

If Knowles did move to prop. Would allow Saints to look at a ball player for 13. Haven't seen enough of Wingfield to say if he is that type of player.

In terms of a replacement for Mata'utia... could Saints tempt Frizell over here for a year or two? Think his representative days are behind him now. He's the biggest name on the list in Australia for second-row. Tariq Sims is a couple years older than Tyson.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Could always just play Lees for 80 and rotate Walmsley, Paasi and Satae!
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

If we have 4 major signings this year of Clark, Tupou, Blake and Thompson I think we will be in really good shape. Only concern is the age mix, it feels like we’re just kicking the can down the road as it were, but beats being linked to the likes of Dwyer and Leeming.
    Roosters have offered Tupou another year

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Announced that Sua’ali’i has signed a big deal with union from 2025. That’s a huge coup for Rugby Australia and Eddie Jones and a blow for the NRL.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Announced that Sua’ali’i has signed a big deal with union from 2025. That’s a huge coup for Rugby Australia and Eddie Jones and a blow for the NRL.
    Within a year they won't even mention his rugby league background or achievements. Unless he has a stinker for the wallabies then he will be the ex league player who isn't good enough for union. Dont like Eddie Jones very smarmy and ignorant towards our game. Clearly sees the nrl as a feeder league for him to handpick who he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Penrith Plonker View Post
    My heart bleeds for them.
    Surely we want our sports best players staying put regardless what side of world they play on. Tired of league being the ugly bridesmaid compared to union when we all know our product is so much better. Not a good look to see our top players or coaches for that matter seeing union as the holy grail.

Learning All The Songs

Surely we want our sports best players staying put regardless what side of world they play on. Tired of league being the ugly bridesmaid compared to union when we all know our product is so much better. Not a good look to see our top players or coaches for that matter seeing union as the holy grail.
    Union in Aus is on its arse, Suailii going over is a drop in the ocean - all the talent is in League and getting gobbled up at junior levels. It's more a PR headhunt than anything but doesn't change the overall talent spread.

Brandon Smith's take on Sua’ali’i's move, was quite amusing

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    It's a blow to rugby league. It's a shame we won't see him develop his game in these next few years and see if he can grow in to the player that he's been talked about becoming. This said, were seeing other young players out perform him at the moment, like Reece Walsh. He's only 20 himself and starring at full back for Brisbane.

Suaalii will only be around 25 when the deal with RU would be set to expire, so there's time for him to come back and still be at the peak of his powers.

Roosters have re-signed Tedesco for season 2025. Solved a little bit of a conundrum for them in some ways.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Phil Gould was asked again about Thompson, last week on Twitter-
    https://twitter.com/PhilGould15/stat...DT8ZOwzLUtAAAA

In terms of a replacement for Mata'utia... could Saints tempt Frizell over here for a year or two? Think his representative days are behind him now. He's the biggest name on the list in Australia for second-row. Tariq Sims is a couple years older than Tyson.
    Forget about Frizell, he's a long way past his best now and getting more & more injury prone. If anything Fitzgibbon at the Knights would fit in far better into the kind of 2nd rower Saints would be looking for. Maybe not quite as dynamic a runner at Mata'utia but he's a tough, hard working, uncompromising back rower who never takes a backwards step. He's also OOC at the end of 2023 and would come at a lot cheaper price than a Frizell or a Sims.

Got A Season Ticket

Not a serious suggestion, but thought it was interesting watching NZ Warriors at weekend and seeing Bayley, younger brother of Curtis Sironen and Freddy, younger brother of Joey Lussick, both on pitch together.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Forget about Frizell, he's a long way past his best now and getting more & more injury prone. If anything Fitzgibbon at the Knights would fit in far better into the kind of 2nd rower Saints would be looking for. Maybe not quite as dynamic a runner at Mata'utia but he's a tough, hard working, uncompromising back rower who never takes a backwards step. He's also OOC at the end of 2023 and would come at a lot cheaper price than a Frizell or a Sims.
    Admittedly I don't follow the forwards as intently as I do the playmakers and backs Saint Toppy.

See both Frizell and Fitzgibbon were the second row for the Knights yesterday vs Raiders. Both played the 80. Frizell got a try too.

Frizell will know he won't be able to command the salary he's on at the moment (said to be $700K).

Frizell is a few years older than Fitzgibbon.

Newcastle could be willing to let one go because they have KPP signed for 2024.

Think it's only if Saints lose both Mata'utia and Sironen that they'd need to invest big money in a new second-row.

Think there's other areas I'd prioritise first... what are your thoughts on Saints' interest in Clark? What would you do at 9 and 14? Know you've said previously that Saints should give Lussick more time, but his limited minutes and this rumour suggests the club is exploring the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Not a serious suggestion, but thought it was interesting watching NZ Warriors at weekend and seeing Bayley, younger brother of Curtis Sironen and Freddy, younger brother of Joey Lussick, both on pitch together.
    There's striking similarities with Freddy and Joey in looks and with both being hookers, of course.

Good win for you over the Bulldogs yesterday but a bit of a controversial winning try, don't you think? Thought Mahoney was denied the chance to put a tackle in on SJ. Did you go to the game? What a try from JAC!
    Last edited by Mike Stephenson; 27th March 2023 at 12:15.