Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 208 of 468 FirstFirst ... 108158188198204205206207208209210211212218228258308 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,200 of 11700

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Indeed. It's 99.9997% likely he's staying there. Sometimes I wonder why the club don't shoot these rumours down and humiliate the agent for doing it. But then I guess it benefits us in a way that Warrington have to massively increase their initial offer because of fake interest from us.
    If Saints stay quiet Warrington might think we are chasing him and offer him more, lets say £20k more, thats £20k that wouldn’t be able to be spent elsewhere under the cap. Or at least that would be the case if it wasn’t Warrington…

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    We don't need Bentley, we have Bell, Batch and Wingfield. We don't have someone with the skillset if Taia or Gilmour and I would love us to find someone like them.

Taia a real quality SR and Gilmour never looked less than great anywhere in the back row or at centre. Not renewing his contract was a terrible decision.

Indeed. It's 99.9997% likely he's staying there. Sometimes I wonder why the club don't shoot these rumours down and humiliate the agent for doing it. But then I guess it benefits us in a way that Warrington have to massively increase their initial offer because of fake interest from us.
    Because Saints may need to deal with that agent in the future.
    No need to jump on them unless they disadvantage the club.

In fact if we are looking at other hookers then a narrative that suggest Saints we are looking at
    Clark might help those pay discussions.

In this case the worst case senario is that Wire, consume more cap space on clark. That's not terrible.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Because Saints may need to deal with that agent in the future.
    No need to jump on them unless they disadvantage the club.

In fact if we are looking at other hookers then a narrative that suggest Saints we are looking at
    Clark might help those pay discussions.

In this case the worst case senario is that Wire, consume more cap space on clark. That's not terrible.
    Another way of looking at it Gerry, is perhaps Saints wanting the fans to know that they've inquired at least about Clark- to demonstrate they are chasing the biggest name hooker on the market. Given it's highly likely that Roby will be retiring at the end of the season. Even if Saints can't get him, the spin could be that they tried.

I do think Warrington will want to keep him and there's an argument to say they have a spine as strong as any in SL this year and just as much next year if Clark re-signs.

I do wonder if Clark was off contract at end of 2022 rather than this year, if the club would've had a better chance of getting him. Because of how Warrington were going I mean, and Clark being picked for the CNAS, rather than the England squad, in the mid-season.

With you on Keighran, he is going well for Catalan. He's not an out-and-out centre. I've seen him play in the halves for Roosters and he's played hooker too. Good utility player to have.

Just another word on Catalan and think I've said this before, the deal for Tom Johnstone is paying off for them at the moment. Hope he can keep himself fit all season. Quality player.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Another way of looking at it Gerry, is perhaps Saints wanting the fans to know that they've inquired at least about Clark- to demonstrate they are chasing the biggest name hooker on the market. Given it's highly likely that Roby will be retiring at the end of the season. Even if Saints can't get him, the spin could be that they tried.

I do think Warrington will want to keep him and there's an argument to say they have a spine as strong as any in SL this year and just as much next year if Clark re-signs.

I do wonder if Clark was off contract at end of 2022 rather than this year, if the club would've had a better chance of getting him. Because of how Warrington were going I mean, and Clark being picked for the CNAS, rather than the England squad, in the mid-season.

With you on Keighran, he is going well for Catalan. He's not an out-and-out centre. I've seen him play in the halves for Roosters and he's played hooker too. Good utility player to have.

Just another word on Catalan and think I've said this before, the deal for Tom Johnstone is paying off for them at the moment. Hope he can keep himself fit all season. Quality player
    A good utility is a real bonus to teams and a kicker as well.

If they can keep Johnsone fit then he's going to be right up there for top try scorer,hopefully being in a bigger team will take some of the pressure off him and he will see out the season and get some more international games under his belt.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    The art of negotiation.

He is due a testimonial from his time at Wire. Wire have probably low balled him with their first offer.

His Agent drums up interest from Saints, which implies he would move.

Talks between them are scheduled. Its just business.
    Remember Toby King, how much did he push his contract up.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Got A Season Ticket

Yes always thought Keighran was pretty decent at NZ Warriors, and it of course says something when a club like Roosters takes him on to bolster their ranks.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Yes always thought Keighran was pretty decent at NZ Warriors, and it of course says something when a club like Roosters takes him on to bolster their ranks.
    The Roosters signed him pretty much as a cheap squad filler. Their 1st choice centres at the time were Morris & Manu with their next reserve centre being Dale Copley and they had the up & coming Joseph Suaalii coming through into the 1st team. Keighran was pretty much 4th or 5th choice and he only got game time through injuries.

I wouldn't say he's anything special, more solid than spectacular

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

He's got Ryan Morgan written all over him.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    He's got Ryan Morgan written all over him.
    Saints bang on about culture but Trent Robinson is pretty good in recruiting fringe and star players with culture being a big part of that.

At this point the "he's promising" or a "ryan morgan" can't be proved or disproved.

Be interesting to see him play for Cats and see what he shows then circle back to make a better judgment.

Regarding Brooks to Leeds. Brooks is the sort of big money cheque book signing they did in the 90s. I am not sure he would be good value for the money but would definitely be a good quality signing. Marquee players seem to generally upset the squad as it is easy to get jealous at the player that gets paid x3 more than you.

Regarding Bentley. He is a good player but the way the RFL are going he is only going to get more bans. I dont think you can afford to have too many liabilities in your team. Knowles, Matautia, Sironen all have history in this regard, so I would want to see a reduction in our headcase players
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Regarding Brooks to Leeds. Brooks is the sort of big money cheque book signing they did in the 90s. I am not sure he would be good value for the money but would definitely be a good quality signing. Marquee players seem to generally upset the squad as it is easy to get jealous at the player that gets paid x3 more than you.

Regarding Bentley. He is a good player but the way the RFL are going he is only going to get more bans. I dont think you can afford to have too many liabilities in your team. Knowles, Matautia, Sironen all have history in this regard, so I would want to see a reduction in our headcase players.

Regarding Keighran. I think he is a reasonable player. I havent really watched enough Catalans games to have an opinion on him in 2023. Utility is always good but you feel like he is the sort of player we could produce ourselves. I would want a quota player to have more impact.

Regarding Clark/Leeming. Clark is obviously in demand. If he wants to come to Saints he will. Leeming dipping his toe in the NRL is a good move for him. He will probably come back a stronger player. If it works out for him he could stay. I doubt Saints know what is going on yet. We could have a choice or Clark could re-sign with Wire and Leeming could stay in Australia. It is all good saying yes/no to players but it could be Saints just have to go with the best available. If these two don't work out where do we go from there? Back to Lussick I would guess?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post

Regarding Bentley. He is a good player but the way the RFL are going he is only going to get more bans. I dont think you can afford to have too many liabilities in your team. Knowles, Matautia, Sironen all have history in this regard, so I would want to see a reduction in our headcase players
    And the three you name are all better than Bentley.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    And the three you name are all better than Bentley.
    I would say Knowles and Sironen are definitely better from a risk/reward basis. Matautia seems to be a yellow card waiting to happen so he is a player I feel like we could live without unfortunately. I think he is a great player but he is a yellow card waiting to happen and we need to keep 13 men on the field. The frustration is Sione won't learn his leason. Bentley falls into the same category so I would rather go for an alternative.

Learning All The Songs

Brooks is one of he worst half backs in the NRL. He looked good for a few years when Mitch Moses was along side him and it earned him a pretty decent contract. But when Moses left Brooks was soon shown up to be pretty useless - no pace, poor defense and a pretty average running, passing & kicking game. He's a big part of the reason the Tigers have been so poor over the last few years and they've been trying to offload him for quite a while. Problem for them is nobody else in the NRL will go anywhere near him at his wage demands.
    Leeds would be replacing one Aussie flop for another - Please god let them sign him !!!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Penrith Plonker View Post
    Who would you suggest we look at then? I can't think of anyone even close to being as good as Matautia.
    https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/spor...ntract-7988412

Chris McQueen but he's too old now you'd think. Currie is good on his day but has massive injury concerns. Not sure if he has signed a new deal yet. Those are the only ones off that list who stand out.

EDIT: Some of these players, such as Brodie Croft, have signed new deals since this article was written.
    Last edited by The Yellow Giraffe; 23rd March 2023 at 14:48.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Starting A Programme Collection

Clark has said he 'see's no reason why he can't finish career at warrington and hopefully something can be worked out soon' or words to that effect.

Who would you suggest we look at then? I can't think of anyone even close to being as good as Matautia.
    I guess there isn't a straightforward answer to that question. I would say our quota signing needs to be an NRL player we wouldn't realistically think we could get. I know that seems like a bit of a contradiction however I feel like some of our quota signing have been top draw recently. Matautia, Sironen, Passi, Hurrell even Hopoate are players you would think had what it takes to get an NRL contract and they have proven this (except for Hopoate who hasn't had the chance due to injury).

Daniel Tupou would fall under that criteria for me. Tonga and NSW player, ok he is a winger rather than a back rower but he definitely has the quality to be a big quota signing.

Edit: Siros brother is off contract. I think he is a reasonable player and maybe it would get Siro to sign up for longer?

In The West Stand

I guess there isn't a straightforward answer to that question. I would say our quota signing needs to be an NRL player we wouldn't realistically think we could get. I know that seems like a bit of a contradiction however I feel like some of our quota signing have been top draw recently. Matautia, Sironen, Passi, Hurrell even Hopoate are players you would think had what it takes to get an NRL contract and they have proven this (except for Hopoate who hasn't had the chance due to injury).

Daniel Tupou would fall under that criteria for me. Tonga and NSW player, ok he is a winger rather than a back rower but he definitely has the quality to be a big quota signing.
    As I have said before, Sironen and Batchelor are 80 minute players, and Wingfield on the bench rotates well with Knowles. If we have enough confidence in Davies or Buckley stepping in in case of an injury (or bring in another championship player, whose happy to wait for their chance like Bentley/ Batchelor before them) then I dont think we need to replace Mata'utia directly, and should look to bring in quality wherever we can, and if thats Tupou then great, or if its someone else then so be it. The quality of player coming in is more important than the position imo.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    As I have said before, Sironen and Batchelor are 80 minute players, and Wingfield on the bench rotates well with Knowles. If we have enough confidence in Davies or Buckley stepping in in case of an injury (or bring in another championship player, whose happy to wait for their chance like Bentley/ Batchelor before them) then I dont think we need to replace Mata'utia directly, and should look to bring in quality wherever we can, and if thats Tupou then great, or if its someone else then so be it. The quality of player coming in is more important than the position imo.
    I guess that us why we could be looking utility. I just feel a player that takes a quota spot has to have a position they are great in.

I am not a fan of spunking money on a winger when Makinson is already on good money. However, Tupou is a winger you just kick to near the line he catches the ball and scores.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
    Finding a player like Gilmour would be a great shout as u say. I'd also like us to find another Freddie Tualangi, or faasaavlu or Tony Pulutau etc etc.

Or a Sione Mata'utia or a Sironen or a Coote or a Naiqama or even a Hurrell....

We do have a helpful habit of signing players that most fans (including me) go "Who? Well, I'm not at all sure about this guy", who when turn out pretty good.

Whereas some other clubs always seem to chase the big-name/marquee, which frequently don't work (can only remember Barba in the past several years that we've signed as a big-name player)

Quote Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
    We can all hope and dream of finding players of that elk again but realistically you can only go with what's on the market now.
    You need to make the Moosed of it, I reckon.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nazareth View Post
    Or a Sione Mata'utia or a Sironen or a Coote or a Naiqama or even a Hurrell....

We do have a helpful habit of signing players that most fans (including me) go "Who? Well, I'm not at all sure about this guy", who when turn out pretty good.

Whereas some other clubs always seem to chase the big-name/marquee, which frequently don't work (can only remember Barba in the past several years that we've signed as a big-name player)

You need to make the Moosed of it, I reckon.
    I hope Venison is on the wing

In The South Stand

if we can cover the Second Row from within or a Championship signing then I think that makes perfect sense. Although, I think Linnett may fit into that bracket, offering cover in 2 positions. I've no idea what he would cost btw and obviously there maybe a quota issue although doesn't he play for Scotland?
    Why do people always do this? We lose a competition leading player and everyone wants to replace them with some four stripe development/bargain basement fodder that is nowhere near the level of the player we're losing. It's that kind of mentality that will turn us into Hull KR and end this run of success. If we're losing Hurrell, Sironen, Mata'utia and Roby they all need to be replaced with the best quality senior players we possibly can do.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Powell talking about wanting Clark to stay ... definitely seems some conversations going on; https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport...uture-26533233
    https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...to-fans-letter

Love RL have jumped on the story too. Obviously we have got the Wire fans rattled so that is good no matter what.

If I was a Wire fan I would absolutely hate us

Why do people always do this? We lose a competition leading player and everyone wants to replace them with some four stripe development/bargain basement fodder that is nowhere near the level of the player we're losing. It's that kind of mentality that will turn us into Hull KR and end this run of success. If we're losing Hurrell, Sironen, Mata'utia and Roby they all need to be replaced with the best quality senior players we possibly can do.
    Spot on. Replace quality with quality. If a kid coming through is good enough they will displace someone.