Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 118 of 468 FirstFirst ... 186898108114115116117118119120121122128138168218 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 11700

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by cheify View Post
    Bennison isn't strong enough in defence
    yet.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by cheify View Post
    Bennison isn't strong enough in defence
    He's 19 FFS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    For all those on here slating me for the criticism of Hopoate's full back play - you need look no further how much more effective we are with a proper FB in the team. Bennison may still have areas of his game he needs to work on but his pace, his threat to the defensive line and his kick returns are all way above what we've had from Hopoate
    I thought there were parts Hopoate did better and parts Bennison did better to be honest.

Bennison returned the ball well and was a decent running threat. I thought he also looked solid defending kicks. He needs to work on his pass timing though. There were several occasions were the halves created so much space (Lomax and Welsby were outstanding last night) on the edge and Bennison either decided to run it or pass too early / late and the move died a bit.

Hopoates kick returning was fairly non existent but he linked into the line better than Bennison did last night I thought. A full back needs to be more than a runner, they are effectively a 3rd half back and that's where I think Hopoate is more of a threat.

I'm willing to give Bennison time though because he looks a good prospect and with experience he will improve. He's 19 years old and will get better. We're producing some really good young players at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I thought there were parts Hopoate did better and parts Bennison did better to be honest.

Bennison returned the ball well and was a decent running threat. I thought he also looked solid defending kicks. He needs to work on his pass timing though. There were several occasions were the halves created so much space (Lomax and Welsby were outstanding last night) on the edge and Bennison either decided to run it or pass too early / late and the move died a bit.

Hopoates kick returning was fairly non existent but he linked into the line better than Bennison did last night I thought. A full back needs to be more than a runner, they are effectively a 3rd half back and that's where I think Hopoate is more of a threat.
    Difference is one is a teenager with just a couple of 1st team games under his belt, the other is an international with a decade of NRL 1st team games who takes up a quota spot and a big chunk of the SC. You'd expect a kid like Bennison still to have areas of his game to work on like his pass selection and run timing, where as i'd already expect someone in Hopoate's position to excel in all those areas that you need as a FB.

In The South Stand

Difference is one is a teenager with just a couple of 1st team games under his belt, the other is an international with a decade of NRL 1st team games who takes up a quota spot and a big chunk of the SC. You'd expect a kid like Bennison still to have areas of his game to work on like his pass selection and run timing, where as i'd already expect someone in Hopoate's position to excel in all those areas that you need as a FB.
    Coote has skills Barba didn’t, Barba had skills Coote didn’t. It’s not a one size fits all thing.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Coote has skills Barba didn’t, Barba had skills Coote didn’t. It’s not a one size fits all thing.
    Barba had deficiencies in defence but more than made up for that with his attacking abilities that terrified defences. Coote was one of the best positional FB's we've had since Wello, and his pass selections were excellent but he lacked pace.
    I'm yet to see what piece of excellent skills Hopoate brings ?? He has neither the defensive skills, organisational skills & passing ability of Coote or the electric pace & attacking skills of Barba.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Barba had deficiencies in defence but more than made up for that with his attacking abilities that terrified defences. Coote was one of the best positional FB's we've had since Wello, and his pass selections were excellent but he lacked pace.
    I'm yet to see what piece of excellent skills Hopoate brings ?? He has neither the defensive skills, organisational skills & passing ability of Coote or the electric pace & attacking skills of Barba.
    An example of Coote's lack of pace you speak about Saint Toppy, was Luke Yates' try in the Hull KR vs Huddersfield game earlier on... Coote couldn't get near him!

What would you do with Hopoate for 2023 Saint Toppy? I'd be looking to move him on given Hurrell has now been signed for another year. Would free up a quota spot, which gives more options when it comes to recruitment plans.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

In The West Stand

Seems like Warrington have kicked off a right midseason merry-go-round. Rumours Hull are signing Truman, Cas are signing Miller and Wakefield are signing Sezer, as well as Kasiano going to Warrington early.

Any chance of Saints joining in the fun? Obviously we have freed up Amors money though suspect our resignings probably ate that away? Hopoate out for Cleary?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    An example of Coote's lack of pace you speak about Saint Toppy, was Luke Yates' try in the Hull KR vs Huddersfield game earlier on... Coote couldn't get near him!

What would you do with Hopoate for 2023 Saint Toppy? I'd be looking to move him on given Hurrell has now been signed for another year. Would free up a quota spot, which gives more options when it comes to recruitment plans.
    Not as simple as just moving him on though,he has to want to go,there has to be someone willing to take him. For all we know he could be quite happy here and want to prove himself if and when he gets fit.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post

I can’t see Hopoate going anywhere, especially with the backing Woolf keeps giving him. Might end up being the case that he spends a lot of time as 18th man though.

I’ve mentioned before that if all our players re-sign/extend/go round again it could be a quiet transfer season. Is there a chance though that we may end up signing no new players at all?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I can’t see Hopoate going anywhere, especially with the backing Woolf keeps giving him. Might end up being the case that he spends a lot of time as 18th man though.

I’ve mentioned before that if all our players re-sign/extend/go round again it could be a quiet transfer season. Is there a chance though that we may end up signing no new players at all?
    I think there's a very good chance we won't sign anybody at all yeah.

Still a few players to commit to new deals. Grace, Roby, Norman, LMS so it'll depend what they do and how much money is left in the pot after that. I suspect not alot. We also have no quota spaces currently so unless someone on quota leaves, our options could be limited. I suspect 2024 will be a big recruitment year for us though, similar to 2021 after signing nobody for 2020.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Not as simple as just moving him on though,he has to want to go,there has to be someone willing to take him. For all we know he could be quite happy here and want to prove himself if and when he gets fit.
    That's true Brook, but his struggles for match fitness must be of concern for the club. And his future could be an important factor in any recruitment for 2023.

I canÂ’t see Hopoate going anywhere, especially with the backing Woolf keeps giving him. Might end up being the case that he spends a lot of time as 18th man though.

IÂ’ve mentioned before that if all our players re-sign/extend/go round again it could be a quiet transfer season. Is there a chance though that we may end up signing no new players at all?
    That could well be the key factor- whether KW is the coach next season or not. It's quite clear Hopoate was his signing (as was Hurrell). So far, Hurrell has proved his value and Hopoate hasn't. Woolf will want similar success with Hopoate. Watching him last year at the Bulldogs, as much as I said that his stats proved he wasn't a strike player, one of the positives was that he played plenty of games as I recall. This year he's really struggled to play consecutive games. It would be perhaps more understandable to the fan base if it was a long-term injury he had suffered, rather than what is being reported as a series of niggling injuries or words to that effect. Wasn't it Luke Douglas, who was a player who came over with a similar reputation on durability, yet unfortunately he suffered similar problems in this country? He was ultimately shipped out and there are other examples such as Travis Burns etc. who was moved on prior to his contract ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I think there's a very good chance we won't sign anybody at all yeah.

Still a few players to commit to new deals. Grace, Roby, Norman, LMS so it'll depend what they do and how much money is left in the pot after that. I suspect not alot. We also have no quota spaces currently so unless someone on quota leaves, our options could be limited. I suspect 2024 will be a big recruitment year for us though, similar to 2021 after signing nobody for 2020.
    Grace and Roby in particular, are the big names here and first choice players. If one or both goes, the club should go in to the market I think. Even if both stay, I think one or two new faces to freshen up the squad is the way I'd go.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

In The West Stand

In:
    Out: Amor (Widnes)
    Resigned: Davies, Hurrell, Dodd, Paasi, Mata'utia, Welsby, Lees, Knowles
    OOC: Grace, Roby, LMS, Norman, Foster, Simm, Royle, Sambou, Pemberton

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Ratchford has signed a new 2 year deal so that puts to bed that rumour.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The West Stand

Ratchford has signed a new 2 year deal so that puts to bed that rumour.
    And theyve signed 18 year old Nicholson from Wigan on an immediate contract. The crazy merry-go-round continues.

Wouldnt have minded Ratchford as back up half cover (which I still think we need next year) but a 2 year deal is definitely too much of a risk.

Learning All The Songs

Dan Norman signed up for another 12 months.

In The West Stand

Good resigning that, hope he follows in Batchelors footsteps and really kicks on.

In:
    Out: Amor (Widnes)
    Resigned: Norman, Davies, Hurrell, Dodd, Paasi, Mata'utia, Welsby, Lees, Knowles
    OOC: Grace, Roby, LMS, Foster, Simm, Royle, Sambou, Pemberton

In The South Stand

Only another year surprises me. I’ve thought he’s played well whenever he’s been in the side this year, so would have thought we’d have offered longer.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Only another year surprises me. I’ve thought he’s played well whenever he’s been in the side this year, so would have thought we’d have offered longer.
    We look like we are going to be in a similarly busy position next year either the OOCs then, perhaps to allow a new coach to make changes should they wish?

Starting A Programme Collection

I am sure that both parties would have been happier with a longer deal, but probably couldn't agree on a salary to suit both sides of that, I presume another lowish contract for 1 year to prove himself properly in the team every week.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    We look like we are going to be in a similarly busy position next year either the OOCs then, perhaps to allow a new coach to make changes should they wish?
    2022: Grace, Roby, LMS, Simm, Foster, Royle, Sambou, Pemberton, (Woolf)
    2023: Hopoate (2024 option), Mata'utia, Batchelor, Sironen (2024 option), Paasi, Wingfield, Bell, Hurrell, Norman, Baxter, Hill
    2024: Makinson, Percival, Lomax, Dodd (2026 option), Walmsley, Lussick, Davies, Bennison
    2025: Welsby, Lees, Knowles

6 of our overseas players are off contract next year, its certainly going to be an interesting time

I suppose the fact that currently he is only 5th in line for prop and has hardly played in the first team other than for 20 minutes a game have partially dictated the length of contract and size of remuneration. His performances next year, plus LMS’s future, will allow Saints and him to reassess his value more accurately rather than giving a longer contact which either over- or under- values him.

I agree.

There comes a point when either you fully promote a project or ditch them, this seems like neither.

Young domestic , athletic and big is a rare commodity.

I think he has a long term future at Saints.

Let's hope it all works out.

The nightmare senario is that he goes to the market during 2023 and another club hoovers him up for 2024.

Maybe he only wanted one year? If he has a good season next year he might put himself in a better negotiating position for a bigger contract, especially with so many out of contract for us.

I think if Grace and Roby stay there will be little movement from us. It almost feels like 2019 to 2020 when we signed nobody and then for 2021 and 2022 we had a large turnover of players. I suspect the same could happen again for 2024 and 2025 with 2023 having minimal squad changes.