Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 425 of 430 FirstFirst ... 325375405415421422423424425426427428429 ... LastLast
Results 10,601 to 10,625 of 10750

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

  1. #10601
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,802
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I genuinely wonder about our fans at times. How against a signing can you be? We've got to bring players in or we'll continue to slide as we're doing at the moment.

    He's world class, he's been dominant in the NRL and there doesn't seem to be any competition for him. If he wanted to come here, it would be because he couldn't get an NRL deal as it's been left too late by his signing for Canterbury. It's amazing how home sickness comes up whenever a potentially better offer emerges, I wouldn't worry about that aspect of it at all.

    Whilst I'm sure we're not in for him, it potentially would be a fantastic signing. He's in the top 3 props in Super League with ease. It'd be far easier to paper over the lack of pace, quality and depth in our outside backs if we weren't so paper thin in terms of depth at prop.

    It remains to be seen how serious the injury is. Don't be surprised if this clears up if Canterbury can move someone on.
    I'm not necessarily against the signing, just want us to be mindful of the potential risks. He also kicks goals if you want to add to the list of positives!
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  2. #10602
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    362
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Not for me. 32 and did nothing last year.

    It was always fishy why Roosters was ok to let him leave in the first place. Probably knew his body was shot and injuries would.take over.

    We're ok with what we have at prop.

    Backs, backs, backs is what we need

  3. #10603
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,834
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I genuinely wonder about our fans at times. How against a signing can you be? We've got to bring players in or we'll continue to slide as we're doing at the moment.

    He's world class, he's been dominant in the NRL and there doesn't seem to be any competition for him. If he wanted to come here, it would be because he couldn't get an NRL deal as it's been left too late by his signing for Canterbury. It's amazing how home sickness comes up whenever a potentially better offer emerges, I wouldn't worry about that aspect of it at all.

    Whilst I'm sure we're not in for him, it potentially would be a fantastic signing. He's in the top 3 props in Super League with ease. It'd be far easier to paper over the lack of pace, quality and depth in our outside backs if we weren't so paper thin in terms of depth at prop.

    It remains to be seen how serious the injury is. Don't be surprised if this clears up if Canterbury can move someone on.
    Equally I wonder about fans like you that are so desperate to sign someone your willing to ignore all the serious red flags with a player.
    Are you seriously not bothered that the guy doesn't want to play in SL and is desperate to go back to Aus (as he's said publicly) and is therefore completely lacking in any sort of motivation ?
    or that he was at best average last year in the few games he managed to get on the field ?,
    or that he is currently injured with no news on how long he could be out for, potentially leaving us with another prop sat on the sidelines for a large part of next season even before he's played a single game for us ?

    But hey I guess if all that makes you feel better because we've signed someone and filled our quota spots, even if its highly likely it would be a disasterous signing.

  4. #10604
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,093
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I didn't criticise Mbye until I saw him play for a couple of months. He was awful for us, even McManus referenced that recently when he said he'll be much better this year.
    I think he's been a good signing really. He had an odd start to his saints career, coming in at the tail end of a tough season and without his family. I think he will be better still this season and covers a lot of positions which increases competition, especially for scrum half where we've been lacking cover for a while.

  5. #10605
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,067
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    We're ok with what we have at prop.

    Backs, backs, backs is what we need
    Don't disagree backs are the priority. Going off McManus' comments I don't think we're even looking at the moment. I think they'll move if we really struggle. If the likes of Olam/Blake/Hunt/Spry aren't good enough, I'd love to know who the club is hoping might become available mid-season. Do they have someone specific in mind?

  6. #10606
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,093
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Don't disagree backs are the priority. Going off McManus' comments I don't think we're even looking at the moment. I think they'll move if we really struggle. If the likes of Olam/Blake/Hunt/Spry aren't good enough, I'd love to know who the club is hoping might become available mid-season. Do they have someone specific in mind?
    Newman?

  7. #10607
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,067
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Equally I wonder about fans like you that are so desperate to sign someone your willing to ignore all the serious red flags with a player.
    Are you seriously not bothered that the guy doesn't want to play in SL and is desperate to go back to Aus (as he's said publicly) and is therefore completely lacking in any sort of motivation ?
    or that he was at best average last year in the few games he managed to get on the field ?,
    or that he is currently injured with no news on how long he could be out for, potentially leaving us with another prop sat on the sidelines for a large part of next season even before he's played a single game for us ?

    But hey I guess if all that makes you feel better because we've signed someone and filled our quota spots, even if its highly likely it would be a disasterous signing.
    That's overly dramatic. I'm not suggesting the club should sign him by the way. But if the club did get into negotiations with him and decided he was the right fit and he passed his medical with us and they were happy with it, I'd be happy with that. In terms of the quality of player, it's undeniable. He's world class and he looked pretty good against us in the semi final. Canterbury want to sign him, but can't until they move someone on. If he retires now, I suspect you're right about his condition, but you don't know that. If he finds a solution at the Bulldogs or stays at Catalans perhaps not, we'll see.

  8. #10608
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,527
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Newman?

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/59595880

  9. #10609
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,067
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Newman?
    Possible I guess. Be very reminiscent of what happened with Grace though, spending too long on one target and potentially ending up suffering for 18 months if it doesn't come off as we hope.

  10. #10610
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    10,874
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Mbye has been a decent signing for us having to adjust to Superleague on limited game time. I don't think McManus has referenced to that "awful tag" at all, its more about him being settled in with a pre season and to use his utility in a better way. For me Wello has used him in a similar way that we did with Lussick, quite a few games Roby stayed on the pitch too long and Mybe should have come on earlier. Expect him to be used with an occaisional role in the back line when needed.
    Different people put a different spin on what they hear. I thought the same as you, improvement through a full pre season with us and not new to his surroundings and team mates.

  11. #10611
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    554
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I think he's been a good signing really. He had an odd start to his saints career, coming in at the tail end of a tough season and without his family. I think he will be better still this season and covers a lot of positions which increases competition, especially for scrum half where we've been lacking cover for a while.
    Wellens had plenty of opportunity to play Mbye at #7 last season, but chose to persist with Dodd. Likewise, he had chances to play Mbye (and Lussick for that matter) at #9, but chose to flog Roby into the ground every week.

    Based on that, I can't see anything other than Mbye fulfilling the same role of 15 minutes off the bench every week.

  12. #10612
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    8,599
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Different people put a different spin on what they hear. I thought the same as you, improvement through a full pre season with us and not new to his surroundings and team mates.
    I,m expecting our pivots 1, 6, 7, 9-1 and 9-2 to perform better next year in respect to attacking play. When you look back 6,7 + 9 were below par last year. We have an academy No 9 in the mix as well allowing Mybe to have a few games in the backs.

  13. #10613
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    2,509
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Newman?
    I've said before I think Newman is a bit of a loose canon, completely the wrong temperament for Saints. Unlike Welsby he comes across as an aggressive moaner and trouble maker rather than a leader. He also appears injury prone. I don't like what I've seen of him but at the same time I can acknowledge he's a talented player.

  14. #10614
    Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Leigh
    Posts
    245
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Fair enough, I've not watched him in years. They don't get many of their overseas signings wrong to be fair to Leigh, but perhaps this one is more Beaumont flexing than one of their typical signings.
    Never seen Moylan play to be honest. Must admit I thought we were having Joe Mellor or Ben McNamara partnering Lam in the halves. Time will tell I suppose if he's worth Degsy's money...

  15. #10615
    Learning All The Songs WA10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    St Helens
    Posts
    1,562
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Seriously, a good signing !!!!!
    The guys publicly said he's 'homesick' and wants to go back to Aus, so red flag No 1 of being a guy who doesn't want to be over here,
    Red Flag No 2 - he spent a large part of last season injured, and when he did play he wasn't exactly impressive,
    Red flag No 3 - He's going to miss the start of the season for god knows how long with an injury. Why the hell would we want to sign another prop who's injured when we already have Paasi out ???
    Notwithstanding the obvious, yes, he would be a great signing. We don't know the circumstances at Catalan regarding his "homesickness", nor the extent of his injury. If these two issues can be resolved, then I think he could do a job for us.

  16. #10616
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,378
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WA10 View Post
    Notwithstanding the obvious, yes, he would be a great signing. We don't know the circumstances at Catalan regarding his "homesickness", nor the extent of his injury. If these two issues can be resolved, then I think he could do a job for us.
    He played 7 games last year and has failed a medical for the nrl, not good on the injury front is it ?

  17. #10617
    Got A Season Ticket NSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    499
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo8 View Post
    Wellens had plenty of opportunity to play Mbye at #7 last season, but chose to persist with Dodd. Likewise, he had chances to play Mbye (and Lussick for that matter) at #9, but chose to flog Roby into the ground every week.

    Based on that, I can't see anything other than Mbye fulfilling the same role of 15 minutes off the bench every week.
    We won ten on the spin from Mbye making his debut through to the Warrington playoff game, and whilst I don't have the stats to hand I'm confident in saying that Mbye played considerably more minutes on average than Lussick did. That's not to say that Roby wasn't flogged, granted. Think Mbye will have more of a part to play in numerous positions next year.

  18. #10618
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,834
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    He played 7 games last year and has failed a medical for the nrl, not good on the injury front is it ?
    There's usually a couple of reasons players fail medicals;
    Due to the extent of the current injury (ie. length of time expected to be out),
    The seriousness of it meaning there's a high risk of them never recovering or of the injury re-occuring, or
    the clubs insurance refuse to insure him (or will only do so at a stupid premium) due to one of the above.

    Either way its not a good sign for any other potential club thinking about signing him.

  19. #10619
    In The West Stand
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,059
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2023/11/2...anks/?swcfpc=1

    Interesting Vaughan article; especially the amount of reference to him being in the back row, maybe we see his long term future there, with Sambou coming through at centre?

  20. #10620
    In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,635
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2023/11/2...anks/?swcfpc=1

    Interesting Vaughan article; especially the amount of reference to him being in the back row, maybe we see his long term future there, with Sambou coming through at centre?
    I canít see where there is so much reference to him being in the back row?

    The first line even reads back-rower-come-centre.

  21. #10621
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Right side of the track
    Posts
    1,804
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    I can’t see where there is so much reference to him being in the back row?

    The first line even reads back-rower-come-centre.




    He WILL play in the centres.

  22. #10622
    In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,635
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    He WILL play in the centres.

  23. #10623
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,067
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2023/11/2...anks/?swcfpc=1

    Interesting Vaughan article; especially the amount of reference to him being in the back row, maybe we see his long term future there, with Sambou coming through at centre?
    Sambou definitely looks like a winger from what I've seen, but happy to be wrong. I think Robertson and Dagnall could both also start on either the wing or at centre. Does anyone want to rank those four? They all seem to be highly rated.

    Could this be the problem with signing a winger/centre. In that rather than it being this mystical lack of players to sign anywhere in the world, it's rather they are reluctant as they know what's coming and don't want to choke the squad?

  24. #10624
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,527
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    last thing you want to do is block promising young players.

  25. #10625
    In The South Stand retro74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St Helens, Lancashire
    Age
    49
    Posts
    4,866
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgiezilla View Post
    Never seen Moylan play to be honest. Must admit I thought we were having Joe Mellor or Ben McNamara partnering Lam in the halves. Time will tell I suppose if he's worth Degsy's money...
    He used to be a top, top player. These days not so much but still a good signing for Super League for sure

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •