Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 103 of 468 FirstFirst ... 353839399100101102103104105106107113123153203 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 11700

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

Learning All The Songs

Lomax has picked up a serious injury since Woolf said we weren't going to market, so that may add further risk to the depth (or lack of) on our halves, despite the fact that Jonny is soldiering through currently.

Swapping Amor for Mellor would be a smart move at this point, though I would have liked to see Amor get a good send off.

In The South Stand

I'm all for it, but I just think it's very unlikely to happen. He's not brilliant but would far better there than Davies who is clearly a centre or backrower. His kicking game would be a great addition, certainly close to the line. He's also not a bad support player either, I seem to remember him scoring a fair few tries in Super League one season, certainly 10+ which our halfbacks don't manage to achieve.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Can’t see us making a move for Mellor/another HB.

Hopoate is still well and truly in Kristian’s plans and that allows for a spine of him, Welsby, Lomax.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Kristian gives Hopoate another couple of weeks before doing anything, but if we could get mellor for Amor on a swap it would be a good move. I haven't seen him play at Leigh, but 3-4 years ago when he was at Widnes he was one of their better performers.

Starting A Programme Collection

I would play Bell at 6

Just been told Wello will be Our coach next year . Not looked through the thread if it’s already been mentioned .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Just been told Wello will be Our coach next year . Not looked through the thread if it’s already been mentioned .
    Well if that's the case he would get nothing but my 100% support and backing. Absolute legend of the club, knows the place and the staff and the players inside out, he's Saints through and through and had a phenomenal career with us. He's also had 7 years as part of the backroom staff so you'd like to think he's learned a thing or two.

Comparisons will be made with Cunningham and what happened with him but you can't discount ex players forever based on that one bad experience.
    Last edited by The Yellow Giraffe; 19th May 2022 at 12:03.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Can I start booing now or do I have to wait until we're 5th?

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Well if that's the case he would get nothing but my 100% support and backing. Absolute legend of the club, knows the place and the staff and the players inside out, he's Saints through and through and had a phenomenal career with us. He's also had 7 tears as part of the backroom staff so you'd like to think he's learned a thing or two.

Comparisons will be made with Cunningham and what happened with him but you can't discount ex players forever based on that one bad experience.

Agree- if this is the case , I’m sure people will naturally have a degree trepidation after the Cunningham experience . This is however different and him being more experienced albeit , it would be his first role as a head coach ! I’m sure the club will be more than aware of the ground and boots he will be filling and ensure that he is more than ready and capable of this is the course of action .

In The South Stand

I see that Taukeiaho is off contract at the Roosters. We were linked with him last year, so I wonder if we would look to replace Lees/Amor/LMS with him.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I see that Taukeiaho is off contract at the Roosters. We were linked with him last year, so I wonder if we would look to replace Lees/Amor/LMS with him.

I thought we were up to full quota ?

Well if that's the case he would get nothing but my 100% support and backing. Absolute legend of the club, knows the place and the staff and the players inside out, he's Saints through and through and had a phenomenal career with us. He's also had 7 tears as part of the backroom staff so you'd like to think he's learned a thing or two.

I agree to a point, but regardless this would be his first job as head coach taking over an incredibly successful team. The added pressure of being another legend of the club can’t help. If he has a bad start Cunningham will be brought up quickly. For me he needs to learn as head coach elsewhere first.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    I thought we were up to full quota ?
    We are now but Hurrell is rumoured to be leaving for the Dolphins, which has been rumbling on for a while.

Noooobie

A very good prop but I’m sure I saw a Roosters game earlier on this season & the commentators said he was going to Catalan.
    LED ZEPPELIN The Most Important Band In The World.... TODAY! Q Magazine Front Cover March 2005 Edition

In The South Stand

We are now but Hurrell is rumoured to be leaving for the Dolphins, which has been rumbling on for a while.
    There is that rumour,but he said on tv only last week his first choice would be to stay with us and he hasn't signed for anyone yet.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by GAZCOL View Post
    A very good prop but I’m sure I saw a Roosters game earlier on this season & the commentators said he was going to Catalan.
    There’s a fair few variables at play in this.

Will we want to increase Hurrell’s wage? I appreciate he’s not on marquee money how he was at Leeds but in a salary called sport, are we better off utilising that money or any spare money from other departures into the long-term contracts of others and/or upgrading younger players?

Are we better utilising the non-federation space elsewhere? Regan Grace seems likely to be leaving and Matty Lees has been rumoured to go to Australia, looking at who is out of contract at the end of this year in Super League, there’s not many names that jump out of the list and I’m not exactly sold on the Mike Cooper rumour, who isn’t exactly leading the Warrington pack around in any comparable way to how Big Al carried our forward pack during lean periods. With Kyle Amor almost certainly going, LMS being out of contract (I’d give him another year, personally) and the Lees rumours, I think I would possibly lean towards looking at Australia for a replacement, if required, to go with Big Al, Paasi, LMS and Norman.

If we are to get Lees signed up, I would be more than happy to give Hurrell another year and to maybe look at a project prop in mind for 2024 and beyond once LMS moves on or retires.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by GAZCOL View Post
    That rang a bell as I was sure I had heard Trent Robinson confirm this on NRL 360 last month. A quick Google and I found the interview online - relevant comments from 11:45 in.

https://www.roosters.com.au/news/202...-nrlw-success/

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Well if that's the case he would get nothing but my 100% support and backing. Absolute legend of the club, knows the place and the staff and the players inside out, he's Saints through and through and had a phenomenal career with us. He's also had 7 years as part of the backroom staff so you'd like to think he's learned a thing or two.

Fully agree with all of this, but I don’t think anything is decided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Fully agree with all of this, but I don’t think anything is decided yet.
    No me neither, just hypothetically if Wellens did get it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Letting Cunningham go was probably the toughest thing that McManus has ever had to do. They won’t give Wello the gig unless they’re confident he’s up to the task. By the same token Wellens will know that he’ll get little favouritism just because he’s a club legend.
    FWIW I think he would make a good coach. He’s a bit dry, and if the in goal bollockings he dished out as a player are anything to go by he may need to reign in his temper haha. He can’t be bollocking players every week. That will soon lose the dressing room but I imagine by now he’s distinguished the difference between being a player and a coach.
    He certainly won’t tolerate any shirkers and unlike Cunningham I don’t think he would have favourites.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Wigan talking to Tom Johnstone (this doesn't necessarily mean we aren't, I just haven't heard if so)
    Saints interested in Brad Dwyer.
    Looks like I was right about Dwyer. Jenna Brooks apparently said on SKY he’s signing with us.

Seems harsh to criticise a player before he’s played a game for us but I don’t think Dwyer is good enough to play for Saints

I hope he proves me wrong

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Seems harsh to criticise a player before he’s played a game for us but I don’t think Dwyer is good enough to play for Saints

I hope he proves me wrong
    Up to Pemberton to take the shirt I suppose. I get the logic of Dwyer in that he’s British and experienced … that’s about it though. We don’t have the non fed space, and if we aren’t signing Cooper (rumoured to have taken a 2 year deal At Huddersfield) then even if we do free up a cap spot with Hurrell/Hopoate leaving that will need to likely go on a prop to replace LMS/Amor/Lees/Norman (depending on which if any are leaving).

That would leave us, best case at;

Welsby
    Makinson Hopoate Percival Grace
    Lomax Dodd
    Walmsley Lussick Lees
    Mata’utia Batchelor
    Knowles

Dwyer Sironen Paasi (New Signing)

Bennison Hill Sambou Davies
    Norman Baxter Bell Wingfield

In The South Stand

Some winger (a Fijian army man whose played internationally for England) is leaving Bath, so there could be something in those rumours regarding Grace.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Some winger (a Fijian army man whose played internationally for England) is leaving Bath, so there could be something in those rumours regarding Grace.
    Rokoduguni. Also losing Anthony Watson. They’re still pretty well stacked with wing options but they’ve been so rubbish this year that they’ll be desperate for anyone to improve them!
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Agree with all of this.

I think the key to the success of this is who would replace Wellens as assistant? I'd like to see someone experienced who could offer a bit of guidance. NOt sure who that could be though.
    Long? - not been a head coach.
    Tony Smith? - Would he be happy as assistant?

It's a position that would require a lot of thought I think.