Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Ooc list

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Don't think I'd go for Connor. he would want marque player money. We already give way enough stupid penalties without his contribution. Agreed he can be brilliant, but can also make a large contribution to one or two loses per season. Hull didn't to badly without him against Wigan. Looking at the NRL I like the look of Hynes as mentioned by STEVO. If he wants to be full back he's only ever going to be a back up at Melbourne.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Banned

With bentley being linked to leeds
    Naiqama linked to catalan
    Coote not sure if staying or going
    Roby to retire
    Fages not sure.

Squad wise for 2022 were going to be down alot of talent and experiance. For me its a must to keep bentley and coote. If roby wants 1 more year give him the year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    Don't think I'd go for Connor. he would want marque player money. We already give way enough stupid penalties without his contribution. Agreed he can be brilliant, but can also make a large contribution to one or two loses per season. Hull didn't to badly without him against Wigan. Looking at the NRL I like the look of Hynes as mentioned by STEVO. If he wants to be full back he's only ever going to be a back up at Melbourne.

You are right Connor is not a Saints player. He would upset the apple cart. He is more of a Wire target. However Hull are a huge club and he seems to fit their medium term plan, or does he? International class, no he is not. The Duncan McKenzie of Rugby League.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    If Coote goes, there's some good full backs available on the off contract list in the NRL...

I've already mentioned Nicho Hynes, the back up to Papenhuyzen at Melbourne. Matt Dufty is another who's available. Both would bring a new dimension to Saints attack with their speed. Perhaps worth pointing out the current Tonga full back is also off contract (Will Hopoate) too.

My choice would be Dufty.

Interesting to see how this story develops.
    Are you taking the pee or what !!
    Dufty is another Quinlan - lots of pace but a turnstile in defence and couldn't catch a cold let alone a high ball.
    As for Hopoate - jeeze even a Championship club wouldn't tough him with yours - utter garbage and been stealing a living in the NRL for years. Plus the fact he wont play on a Sunday because of his religion and he's just a waste of space.
    Hynes may be good in a few years but he's no better than playing Welsby at FB now.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Are you taking the pee or what !!
    Dufty is another Quinlan - lots of pace but a turnstile in defence and couldn't catch a cold let alone a high ball.
    As for Hopoate - jeeze even a Championship club wouldn't tough him with yours - utter garbage and been stealing a living in the NRL for years. Plus the fact he wont play on a Sunday because of his religion and he's just a waste of space.
    Hynes may be good in a few years but he's no better than playing Welsby at FB now.
    I'm sorry, but you're aware Hopoate played yesterday aren't you? And I wasn't suggesting Saints go for him, rather I was highlighting he's off contract and represents Tonga, given the reports of the Sione Katoa link, for the hooking position.

I think Dufty is a great player. He's a modern day full back- he's a strike player. He has scored 8 tries in 9 games this season, with 3 try assists and 6 line breaks. Averaging 152 metres too. I think he'd be a real asses in SL and especially for St Helens.

I think Welsby is a very good prospect, but I personally would sign a full back if Coote goes. I'd keep Welsby in the centres for a year or so and allow Naiqama to leave.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Bentley is a no-brainer. Offer him a deal, pronto.

Batchelor - I'm quite firm on this one too. Let him go. He offers very little and the fact that he's 26 and still hardly played any Super League rugby tells you all you need to know.

Amor - Probably not. Had a stinker against Huddersfield but has largely been decent this season. However, the time is probably right.

LMS - I'd keep, even if it's only for his leadership and off the field influence.

Roby - You know what. I'm not as sure as I would have been a couple of months ago. He looks to me like he might have hit the wall. However, have we a valid replacement? I'm on the fence with this one.

Coote - Same as Roby. I'm thinking we've seen the best of him and it might be the right time to look elsewhere. Again, it's a case of if we can find something better because full back has taken over as the most important role in the game.

Eaves - I'd keep him as back-up, as I assume we wouldn't have to use much cap space.

Fages - This depends. As stated elsewhere, I've never rated him as a 7, but he is a decent utility player and he can fill in gamely in three positions, including his own. I'd be happy to keep, but not if the plan ends up stifling the development of Dodd. Could he do a role as a No.9 if Roby retires?

Naiqama - Unfortunately, our centres don't get used much so it's often hard to tell how good he could be under Woolf, because he was certainly much better under Holbrook. However, there is a question mark defensively and you'd have to wonder whether we could use the quota spot more efficiently, and with Percival and Welsby around, I'd be inclined to let him go and see if we can bring in a decent 1, 7, or 9 from Down Under.

Nisbet/Rizzelli. Can't see a future for either, but we do need to have contingency plans on the basis that Tommy and Regan will probably not be our wingers for much longer. I haven't seen enough of them to comment on how good they are likely to be.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Dufty and Hynes are both quality, there is absolutely no chance they will come to us!

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Whoever we let go this season, we need to make sure there replacements are spot on otherwise we could start to go through another transitional period. Losing Long, Cunningham, Scully etc over a short period of time was tough. Took the team right back. Coote (Welsby) and Roby will be tough to replace. I think the time has come for LMS and Amor to go at the end of this but I'd like to see 2 English props come in.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Whoever we let go this season, we need to make sure there replacements are spot on otherwise we could start to go through another transitional period. Losing Long, Cunningham, Scully etc over a short period of time was tough. Took the team right back. Coote (Welsby) and Roby will be tough to replace. I think the time has come for LMS and Amor to go at the end of this but I'd like to see 2 English props come in.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    English props are hard to come by. Slim pickings on the list (you could take a punt on Pauli Pauli I suppose, but he has big fish little pond syndrome written all over him I think) and there are lots of clubs looking for multiple props this year. I would rather us sign 1 quality one, than more projects, and promote Dan Norman to 5th prop as he’ll have had a year at the club by then. If anyone has a couple of hundred grand lying around a Liam Watts or a Matty English might be the best option.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I'm sorry, but you're aware Hopoate played yesterday aren't you? And I wasn't suggesting Saints go for him, rather I was highlighting he's off contract and represents Tonga, given the reports of the Sione Katoa link, for the hooking position.

I think Dufty is a great player. He's a modern day full back- he's a strike player. He has scored 8 tries in 9 games this season, with 3 try assists and 6 line breaks. Averaging 152 metres too. I think he'd be a real asses in SL and especially for St Helens.

I think Welsby is a very good prospect, but I personally would sign a full back if Coote goes. I'd keep Welsby in the centres for a year or so and allow Naiqama to leave.
    So after taking years out of the game on his Mormon mission, when did he suddenly decide he wasn't a Mormon anymore and decide to play on Sundays ?
    Regardless of this he's been utter garbage for years. He's a poor player in a very poor NRL team and the simple fact is he isn't good enough to play for a club like Saints.
    As for Dufty, I don't care how many metres he makes or how many Try's he scores, he's a liability in defence. Most SL defences aren't as strong as a lot of clubs in the NRL and they rely more heavily on their FB to make that last ditch tackle - and that just ain't Dufty. He's welcome at Saints when he learns how to tackle and catch a high ball under pressure 99 times out of a 100.

Learning All The Songs

Roby for another 2 years for me if it means developing Smith or another youngster.
    Smith needs more game time to really be judged

Fages to stay unless we can sign someone better.
    I rate Fages a lot higher than most on this forum and it would have to be someone like Williams to replace him

Coote.. If he starts to hit form again, definitely another year again to help develop Welsby.
    Like to see him as the fullback sooner rather than later.

I dont think Bentley would be as big a loss as people may think.. But for sure want him to stay. Still young and could become world class.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

The rumour mill is in full swing. Linked with Toby King here:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/spor...battle-5397955
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

Hard to justify at 140k/year but seems to be developing into an excellent player ... plus it would wind the Warrington fans up something rotten!

Banned

I'd have him no danger.

"St Helens are also understood to be keeping tabs on King's status as they consider their recruitment plans for 2022"

Sounds like
    "Irons in the Fire".
    "Always on the lookout for class players when they come available".

No way Saints are in for King at £140K.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Hard to justify at 140k/year but seems to be developing into an excellent player ... plus it would wind the Warrington fans up something rotten!
    What are we going to be paying Naiqama? Something similar I’d guess.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    "St Helens are also understood to be keeping tabs on King's status as they consider their recruitment plans for 2022"

Sounds like
    "Irons in the Fire".

To clarify, that’s just a fan quoted number so take it with a pinch of salt, but Cas have dropped out of the race

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    What are we going to be paying Naiqama? Something similar I’d guess.
    Aye! Can't see him being on much less (if less at all).

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post

Sounds like
    "Irons in the Fire".

Why not? Naiqama will be on similar, he’s been a disappointment the last year or so whilst King has been one of Warrington’s best players and is probably a top 5 centre in the league. He’d be a good signing.

He’s an exciting player with ball in hand but the jury’s still out on his defence.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Aye! Can't see him being on much less (if less at all).
    You would imagine a 9 year nrl veteran like KN would be on 120k+

In The West Stand

According to Rugby League ITK (semi reliable) we have won the race for Toby King....

https://twitter.com/RugbyLeagueITK/s...31264089591814

According to Rugby League ITK (semi reliable) we have won the race for Toby King....
    If the bloke who runs that account told me it’s raining and I’d look outside and check. He’s a clown who just repeats rumours from message boards/forums in the hope he’s right once in a while.

Having said that, I hope he’s right. King is an upgrade on Naiqama I think. I didn’t rate him much when he first broke through but over the last 12 months he’s been very good.

Plus it would REALLY wind the Warrington fans up.

In The West Stand

If the bloke who runs that account told me it’s raining and I’d look outside and check. He’s a clown who just repeats rumours from message boards/forums in the hope he’s right once in a while.

Having said that, I hope he’s right. King is an upgrade on Naiqama I think. I didn’t rate him much when he first broke through but over the last 12 months he’s been very good.
    I did say semi

King is a like for like replacement for Naiqama, Coote or Welsby at fullback depending on whether Coote wants to stay, and then the back 5 is settled...

I did say semi

King is a like for like replacement for Naiqama, Coote or Welsby at fullback depending on whether Coote wants to stay, and then the back 5 is settled...
    Until this time next year when we are speculating about Grace again haha.

And yeah I know mate wasn’t a dig at you. Definitely a “pinch of salt” kind of account though.