Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ooc list

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Its probably going to work out differently with Welsby + Dodd compared to Lomax + Gaskell. For the latter Lomax was a limited creative half back but had a great temperament were Gaskell was creative but had a poor temperament and both were basically thrown in the deep end tp learn quickly.

Welsby has settled into whatever position you throw at him and Dodd is ready and needs game time both have great temperaments and they know each others game very well through the academy. Its likely Dodd will partner the very experienced Lomax in the halves and Welsby will just play anywhere in the backs and hopefully he relaces Lomax when he retires.
    Funny how everyone remembers things their own way. I remember first season they were together (only played limited games together in the second season) we got to a CCup semi final and a grand final of which sadly injuries played their part which could or could not have played a part in the result. ItÂ’s something we will never know. The following year we reached the semi

Interesting comment regarding creativity this could be a very debatable topic but letÂ’s not get into it.
    But what I do know is both have gone on to have successful careers coming through adversity. Which maybe something to remember moving forward if things are not perfect with Dodd or Welsby initially that they are provided support and not written off. As potentially with a bit of luck and protection they could be the future for a sustained period of time but it is important that heavy weight of expectation and potential inconsistency does not lead to ridicule.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    In addition when we had the Lomaskell pairing, they were young lads at a time there was a lot of dressing room unrest.
    Think that was the period we had some poor coaches in Potter and Simmonds, I should imagine Woolf is more determined and tougher to get players motivated in the right way especially with the younger inexperienced players.

Quote Originally Posted by Benyon View Post
    Funny how everyone remembers things their own way. I remember first season they were together (only played limited games together in the second season) we got to a CCup semi final and a grand final of which sadly injuries played their part which could or could not have played a part in the result. ItÂ’s something we will never know. The following year we reached the semi

Interesting comment regarding creativity this could be a very debatable topic but letÂ’s not get into it.
    But what I do know is both have gone on to have successful careers coming through adversity. Which maybe something to remember moving forward if things are not perfect with Dodd or Welsby initially that they are provided support and not written off. As potentially with a bit of luck and protection they could be the future for a sustained period of time but it is important that heavy weight of expectation and potential inconsistency does not lead to ridicule.
    I do remember the Gaskell and Lomax pairing started off reasonably well but once the opposition put pressure on them it seemed we were more tolerant towards Lomax over Gaskell because of the difference in their temperaments. I think the problem is that they needed some experienced guidance, wasn't this the start of Wilkin eventually playing stand off.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Toby King to Saints rumour gathering pace. Thoughts?
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    If it is true it seems to be reflective of what is happening in the bigger picture of clubs struggling to manage the salary cap and keep players happy. I really rate King now and can’t for the life of me understand why Warrington would let him go other than balancing the books. They seem to be like us in that next season will see a high turnover of players with uncertainty about Austin, Clarke etc. and Saints with Fages,and Bentley.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Think that was the period we had some poor coaches in Potter and Simmonds, I should imagine Woolf is more determined and tougher to get players motivated in the right way especially with the younger inexperienced players.
    It was that period, particularly under the latter.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Someone on here (think it may have been Stevo) tipped him for the Dream Team before the season started. At that time I thought they were mad, but for me now, he would look good in Red and white

Banned

I believe it has happened.

Banned

It was that period, particularly under the latter.
    I was at Knowsley Road the day Potter handed his car back, I think it was to Colquitt. Even though I hadn't enjoyed his tenure I wished him well. He replied, no great loss pal, its just not me this place. Funny how in life it can be wrong job for the right person or vice versa. Sometimes it just doesn't fit.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Someone on here (think it may have been Stevo) tipped him for the Dream Team before the season started. At that time I thought they were mad, but for me now, he would look good in Red and white
    That wasn't me Belgian. Whilst I think Toby King a good player and he made the Dream Team last season, for me the priority for Saints should be the pivots. That's where Saints should be putting the majority of the cap space available, rather than spending big money on a centre.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I believe it has happened.
    What has?

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    If it is true it seems to be reflective of what is happening in the bigger picture of clubs struggling to manage the salary cap and keep players happy. I really rate King now and can’t for the life of me understand why Warrington would let him go other than balancing the books. They seem to be like us in that next season will see a high turnover of players with uncertainty about Austin, Clarke etc. and Saints with Fages,and Bentley.
    Warrington are giving a lot of influence in their recruitment to Powell, who seems to want to bring half of Cas with him, Mata’utia (Peter), Truman and Holmes are rumoured to have signed with Warrington already, and there were rumours they were after McShane as well to replace Clark (though that seems to have died down).

Out: Coote, Naiqama, Fages, Amor, Bentley, LMS
    In: King
    Retained: Roby

Is a big list at the moment

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Warrington are giving a lot of influence in their recruitment to Powell, who seems to want to bring half of Cas with him, Mata’utia (Peter), Truman and Holmes are rumoured to have signed with Warrington already, and there were rumours they were after McShane as well to replace Clark (though that seems to have died down).

Out: Coote, Naiqama, Fages, Amor, Bentley, LMS
    In: King
    Retained: Roby

Is a big list at the moment
    If your 'out' happens . Then we are going need more 'In' players
    even tho' made up we will sign King . Cannot believe Wire are
    allowing him to sign for Saints .

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

We're looking at signing a Tongan as well

Banned

The more we talk about outgoing the more i feel we cannot loose both amor and lms at the same time without 1 prop coming to replace them.

For me release amor 1 more year for lms with like of norman wingfield batchelor rotating on the bench for more game time.

One thing’s for sure. Next season is looking like the mother of all “transitional” seasons.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Lots of rumours about and expect a lot of them to be just that.

I imagine/hope Saints will focus on retention rather than new signings.

I’d be a bit bewildered if we allowed Bentley to leave. He was outstanding last season, is young and ‘home grown’. If we allowed him to leave I can only imagine it is because Woolf/others see Matautia at second row and if this is the case I think Saints will have messed up with the roster having signed both Thompson and Matautia when we already had Bentley. Again this is all speculation.

I’d be really happy if we retained Fages, Coote, Bentley and signed King. But that might be a bit unrealistic.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    The more we talk about outgoing the more i feel we cannot loose both amor and lms at the same time without 1 prop coming to replace them.

For me release amor 1 more year for lms with like of norman wingfield batchelor rotating on the bench for more game time.
    Seems like a good call for me.

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post

I was thinking more of keeping Amor, this season LMS looks a bit knackered and can only do short spells, seems to get injured mostly head knocks when he does longer minutes. Matty Lees could end up similar style to LMS, hopefully his long injuries out are his last. We also need to see more of Norman not too sure if he has developed just yet on the defensive reads.

Wingfield and Foster look excellent prospects hit hard and have a passing game.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 15th May 2021 at 14:39.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    If your 'out' happens . Then we are going need more 'In' players
    even tho' made up we will sign King . Cannot believe Wire are
    allowing him to sign for Saints .
    Am just going on what I have seen rumoured/ in the papers.

Unlike most, I’m actually pretty comfortable with the Coote+Fages -> Welsby+Dodd (if Coote doesn’t stay). King in for Naiqama (especially on less or similar money) is a great move by the club, and scarcely believe they got away with it. The issue of cover is a fair one, and with so much disruption in the junior ranks in the last couple of years due to COVID I don’t think we can assume the next one will just stand up. Simm covers the back 5 pretty comfortably, but the spine looks very risky with an injury or two. That being said, signing a “backup” player leads to Matty Dawson ...

The forwards are more interesting. Bentley is obviously a loss, and would much rather he stayed but apparently Leeds have offered him 6 figures, and am not sure the club would be justified in matching that. But we need to find a direct replacement, as I’m convinced Wingfield is an out and out 13, and am not sure bringing yet more fresh faced kids in is the answer. In the OOC list only Savelio and Jones stand out, and given how both went down, I can’t imagine either being particularly viable (and I dont want certain mothers back!) the only other real option seems to be Mau at Hull, but never really stood out for me. if we are going to abuse Woolfs Tonga connection, backrow seems the place to do it.

Amor and LMS again are interesting. Despite Amors good start this year, I think it’s an opportunity to press home our prop advantage, with Walmsley here long term and Paasi looking very promising in his opening games. Norman, Scurr (or James Harrison who I think has an offer from every club in SL) are obviously projects and can take on the 18th man role Amor/LMS would play when everyone is fully fit, and that gives us space and capacity to challenge anyone in the league for signings. There are a few interesting choices ooc. Kasiano came over to great fanfare for Catalan, but has so far been a Feka style one good carry a stint - we might well be able to get more from him though Pauli Pauli has gone well at Salford and seemed to turn it around from his Wakefield days so might be worth a punt? Sao is also off contract at Hull (though think Hull have an option) and he’s gone really strong so far this year, and Matt Prior at Leeds is solid if a bit unspectacular, but probably an upgrade on Amor at this point?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Lots of rumours about and expect a lot of them to be just that.

I imagine/hope Saints will focus on retention rather than new signings.

I’d be a bit bewildered if we allowed Bentley to leave. He was outstanding last season, is young and ‘home grown’. If we allowed him to leave I can only imagine it is because Woolf/others see Matautia at second row and if this is the case I think Saints will have messed up with the roster having signed both Thompson and Matautia when we already had Bentley. Again this is all speculation.

I’d be really happy if we retained Fages, Coote, Bentley and signed King. But that might be a bit unrealistic.
    I am 50/50 on Bentley. Without the ball, he's fabulous and an absolute terror in defence. Am not sure what he gives us going forward and I don't think other teams see him as a natural threat. On that side of the field, I don't think we are particularly strong with him and Naquaima. With Thompson on the other side yet to convince, I am not sure retaining Bentley for an exorbitant amount would be good business.

Learning All The Songs

I’d like Coote to stay, id offer Amor another year. Bentley for me seems to have not progressed under Woolf so i wouldn’t be arsed if he left along with Fages, i wouldn’t offer LMS a new contract. Is Batchelor’s contract up, that’s a tough one on whether he get’s a 1yr extension because he hasn’t progressed under Woolf either but he hasn’t played enough 1st team games. I’d like another prop in the squad, are there any promising player’s in the Championship/Div1 ?.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I’d like Coote to stay, id offer Amor another year. Bentley for me seems to have not progressed under Woolf so i wouldn’t be arsed if he left along with Fages, i wouldn’t offer LMS a new contract. Is Batchelor’s contract up, that’s a tough one on whether he get’s a 1yr extension because he hasn’t progressed under Woolf either but he hasn’t played enough 1st team games. I’d like another prop in the squad, are there any promising player’s in the Championship/Div1 ?.
    Scurr at Bradford and Harrison at Featherstone are both linked to moves to SL

A few of us mentioned last year that season 2022 was going to be a watershed one, we don't seem too badly placed for replacements the Toby King possible signing is a bonus, the only concern we have is Roby I can't see him being effective next season hopefully Eaves develops with his loan placement.

I do like the potential of Foster, prolific try scorer for a forward in the Academy and a big hitter in the Salford game, hopefully once he has recovered from injury he will push and challenge our backrowers.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Leeds offered Thompson marquee money to come back to the uk. That's not come off so I wouldn't be surprised if Bentley is now that marquee spot but he is going to leeds. Fages is leaving as well