Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Ooc list

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    Paulo?????
    Exactly ... the worst NRL signing ever

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Is it Thompson & Matautia who have two year deals with the option for another year. I don’t think the club mentioned whether it was in the clubs favour or the players ?.
    Mata’utia was a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option, not sure in who’s favour. Thompson as far as I can tell is just a straight 2 year deal, no options.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    It's a key question.
    If Woolf wants it I'm sure he will still be there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Woolf has spoken about next years recruitment using 'we' a lot so I would assume he's having some input. As it stands he is out of contract at the end of the season but there is a 12 month option on there, not sure if it's in his or our favour. He might be waiting till further on in the season to work out whether there is an NRL option for next year or not.
    The one year extension is in the club's favour, but if he wants to go, not much the club can do about retaining him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I think we need to give Roby another 1 year deal.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I think we need to give Roby another 1 year deal.
    I agree, assuming he will take a reduced salary. I watched Eaves closely against Leeds & was quite impressed. He got a very extended run out due to injury & performed well I thought. He is defensively very sound, has a good pass off the floor both ways & knows when to run. Aaron Smith just needs a run of games to get into the games properly, hopefully his luck will change. Those 2 could be our hookers going forward. Liam Hood has been mentioned as a replacement for Robes, he's a good player but I think that Eaves & Smith will offer more, they are home produced so understand our culture and have time on their side.

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    I agree, assuming he will take a reduced salary. I watched Eaves closely against Leeds & was quite impressed. He got a very extended run out due to injury & performed well I thought. He is defensively very sound, has a good pass off the floor both ways & knows when to run. Aaron Smith just needs a run of games to get into the games properly, hopefully his luck will change. Those 2 could be our hookers going forward. Liam Hood has been mentioned as a replacement for Robes, he's a good player but I think that Eaves & Smith will offer more, they are home produced so understand our culture and have time on their side.
    I was impressed with Eaves in our game against Salford last year. I think its crazy if we let Roby go (considering so many others that may also be going) when he still plays to such a high standard. O’loughlin played on for 4 years past his best. We need to keep Roby next year even if he only plays half the games while we blood his replacement.

I was impressed with Eaves in our game against Salford last year. I think its crazy if we let Roby go (considering so many others that may also be going) when he still plays to such a high standard. O’loughlin played on for 4 years past his best. We need to keep Roby next year even if he only plays half the games while we blood his replacement.
    I totally agree, Eaves did well when we sent a very weak team to Leeds prior to the Warrington final. He definitely deserves a chance, as does Smith. Roby will not short change the club, he will be honest enough to know when he isn't contributing .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I don’t think it’ll ever be a case of us “letting him go.” He isn’t going to play anywhere else. I think he’s got such a high standing within the club that he’ll effectively decide himself if he isn’t going to stay. For as long as he’s at this standard the club will want him to stick around.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I don’t think it’ll ever be a case of us “letting him go.” He isn’t going to play anywhere else. I think he’s got such a high standing within the club that he’ll effectively decide himself if he isn’t going to stay. For as long as he’s at this standard the club will want him to stick around.
    So it hinges on how Roby feels about playing on? That makes sense. I hope he goes around again.
    I know Roby wouldn’t play at another club. I just meant i don’t want the club to be willing to let him go as in retire without trying to keep him on for longer.

So it hinges on how Roby feels about playing on? That makes sense. .
    I reckon so mate, obviously only to a certain extent though; we wouldn't keep him if he was stinking the place out and couldn't run haha. But I think the club will be sensible about it and trust Roby to know when to make that call himself. No disrespect to Smith or Eaves but neither of them are hardly knocking the door down to take his place so I think getting 1 more year from him to buy us more time would work well. When Cunningham retired we knew already we had Roby in line but it's different now; there's uncertainty about that position which is something we've not had for 25 years which is ridiculous when you think about it. We've had the best hooker in the country since Super League began so for us to be potentially going into next year with Smith or Eaves as first choice doesn't fill me with confidence at all.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

So if Roby does retire we may not have a world beating hooker. Something we have tended to take for granted. But then again which team has. I would say Clarke is nearest to Roby, but would argue that he has come to the fore more since the rule changes due to Covid. Prior to that he hadn't performed that brilliantly with Wolves. Powell is hardly a world beater, so we just have to learn to play to other strengths. Hookers of Cunningham and Roby's stature are rare, we've just been very lucky.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

I reckon so mate, obviously only to a certain extent though; we wouldn't keep him if he was stinking the place out and couldn't run haha. But I think the club will be sensible about it and trust Roby to know when to make that call himself. No disrespect to Smith or Eaves but neither of them are hardly knocking the door down to take his place so I think getting 1 more year from him to buy us more time would work well. When Cunningham retired we knew already we had Roby in line but it's different now; there's uncertainty about that position which is something we've not had for 25 years which is ridiculous when you think about it. We've had the best hooker in the country since Super League began so for us to be potentially going into next year with Smith or Eaves as first choice doesn't fill me with confidence at all.
    Yep all true mate. I think we have enough recruitment worries for next year without the worry of replacing one of the best 9s of the summer era. We need Roby next year for leadership and stability. Wrap him in cotton wool, play him in half our games and give plenty minutes to Smith/Eaves. Any coach worth his salt should only need a few months to weigh up whether or not a young player has got what it takes. If Smith/Eaves can’t cut it we get into the market for a hooker for 2023 onwards.

Yep all true mate. I think we have enough recruitment worries for next year without the worry of replacing one of the best 9s of the summer era. We need Roby next year for leadership and stability. Wrap him in cotton wool, play him in half our games and give plenty minutes to Smith/Eaves. Any coach worth his salt should only need a few months to weigh up whether or not a young player has got what it takes. If Smith/Eaves can’t cut it we get into the market for a hooker for 2023 onwards.
    I think Eaves is OOC this year. Wouldn't surprise me if he went and Smith is given one more year alongside Roby to prove he can cut it. If not, like you said our main transfer target has to be a top quality 9 for 2023. Paul Mcshane is out of contract end of next year, shame he'll be 33!

I think Eaves is OOC this year. Wouldn't surprise me if he went and Smith is given one more year alongside Roby to prove he can cut it. If not, like you said our main transfer target has to be a top quality 9 for 2023. Paul Mcshane is out of contract end of next year, shame he'll be 33!
    I think that the plan is Roby 1 more year with reduced minutes, and Smith to replace him with Eaves as back up, at least initially. But it depends on how Roby feels at the end of the year

In The West Stand

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Eaves overtake Smith over the course of this year, but I was surprised to see they were 23/24 respectively. One more year with one of them rotating for 20 minutes with Roby to give him a break feels like the best option for all at the moment, as long as Roby feels up to it. I also assume Clark is going to the Titans, and Warrington are going to need to find a quality replacement and happily outbid us on any target we do find. It wouldn’t surprise me if they go for Parcell.

Looking across the league, it feels really slim pickings even playing fantasy manager

Hooker is such an important position. If we're changing our half back and full back I think it's extremely important that Roby stays on for another year so that we have at least some continuity in our 'spine'. I think it's also important that we look elsewhere to replace Roby when he does retire. I like Smith but IMO he just isn't good enough to be a first choice no. 9 for a title-chasing team. I've seen good glimpses from Eaves but not enough to suggest he's ready to take over as our first choice hooker, and the club seem to see him as behind Smith in the pecking order.

Clearly whoever next wears the 9 shirt for Saints is going to be a downgrade on Cunningham and Roby, but the club needs to do whatever it can to make that downgrade as small as possible.

Banned

Its an interesting one Dux. Eaves tends to be a touch more off the cuff, whilst Smith is more structured. I do feel Smith is the one that we want and Eaves will move on. Roby if he feels the need going around for one more year is a no-brainer. Amor/LMS you can see this is it, last hoorah. If it was me I would start to use Robes at Loose forward and let Smith do the donkey work at acting HB. We shouldn't be looking to use Robes for more than 55 minutes a game "excluding" key games.

It would be foolish to think after Cunningham and Robes we will replicate those two. However we also need to keep away from journey men "Thomas Lee" I would rather see a Smith being given a full season than go down those paths again. "Owens-Dawson-Lee-Howarth" I wish I was had been half as good as those four, but they are not what I ever want to see again at Saints. Giving kids a go yes, importing at best average no. Paying big money "Paulo" well we all make mistakes.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Bit off topic but Kyle Eastmond has retired immediately

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post

So, I reckon it was Leeds who had a bid for Trueman rejected then, knowing Eastmond would do this.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post

waste of a career

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    waste of a career
    All the hype - Leeds supporters thinking they’d got the new Messiah when it was obvious it was a huge gamble. I wonder how much he made out of this “move”?

At least he has walked away now and not sat on treatment table for next 18 months collecting big wage. Makes me feel very old seeing players like eastmond retire when I remember him making his debut. Same with Roby if he calls it a day. Not that eastmond deserves to be mentioned in same conversation as roby on any level.

Yeh I wouldn’t have thought McShanes that old! Time flies. Im not overly impressed with Smith. He’s done nothing wrong mind you. I don’t know, im just not sold on him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

You can never really judge a player until he gets a consistent run in the side. My concern about Aaron Smith is his ability to get himself injured. I think he's got what it takes but he needs to be in the side long enough to show us !
    Learned comment from The Don