Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Huddersfield

Banned

If Knowles plays - big if - then he'll likely have some protection/strapping round his thumb/webbing. Might not be a good idea to have him as DH for an extended period of the game.

I suppose Welsby could go to half back and Fages to hooker if necessary.

I'm personally a bit jittery about Percival. On form, he's such a superb player that you need to have him playing, but there's still some questions about his hamstring IMO. So a contingency option is necessary on the bench.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    If Knowles plays - big if - then he'll likely have some protection/strapping round his thumb/webbing. Might not be a good idea to have him as DH for an extended period of the game.

I suppose Welsby could go to half back and Fages to hooker if necessary.

I'm personally a bit jittery about Percival. On form, he's such a superb player that you need to have him playing, but there's still some questions about his hamstring IMO. So a contingency option is necessary on the bench.
    The problem with Percy is himself . He is now running out like a prop forward with head down . He should be trying to beat the man .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    Wingfield is injured and not in the squad.
    If Welsby plays left centre then I hope he has worked on his defence. Last time against Huddersfield they had some success down Saints left channel and scored twice. Watson will have had them working on the same plan I’m sure.
    My bad. Swap wingfield with batchelor at 13. Knowles to play on the bench as he will be rusty especially if he is to start the match. Would keep matautia at left second row. He has more pace and a passing game which thompson doesnt have.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    The problem with Percy is himself . He is now running out like a prop forward with head down . He should be trying to beat the man .
    He's just trying too hard, trying to run through a gap that isn’t there and he,s doing it before he has secured the ball.

It’s as though he’s trying to make up for lost time when he needs to calm down, he needs a couple of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Welsby has won us a grand final and it's been a whirl. People shouldn't be shocked if he is given a bit of a breather. For me this is literally a one-off game. Watson will slow it down and play it tough to its margins. I would go with all the experience we have and ask Robes if he can do 80. Knowles on the bench is in effect an emergency hooker.
    It's a good point. He's played in every game so far I think. If his effectiveness tailed off last week (in a poor team performance) because he's knackered then a little rest won't do him any harm.

My worry with Percy isn't injury related as I think they've done all they can to recover him effectively and properly, it's that he's always seemed to be a confidence player who needs game time for the best to come out. A cup game isn't the opportunity to build that confidence in my opinion.

With the injuries we've had a lot of the selection decisions depend on the stuff we don't see from the doctors, physios and in training. I'd rather get it right for the players that are effected than throw our best players in half cocked and set back their recovery (I'm thinking mainly of Knowles here).

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Personally I'd play welsby ahead of Percival in the centre role

With Knowles at least he can run and do all of his cardio with a thumb injury so his fitness shouldn't be an issue

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post

With Knowles at least he can run and do all of his cardio with a thumb injury so his fitness shouldn't be an issue
    Agreed. I think Welsby has earned his spot in the starting 13.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Agreed. I think Welsby has earned his spot in the starting 13.
    I agree as well.

big call on selection.

form v reputation.

Be interesting to see the call that is made.

Learning All The Songs

Child is the ref tomorrow!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    I agree as well.

big call on selection.

form v reputation.

Off the top of my head I can't remember Woolf having to make a decision that will divide opinion like this one. Form v Reputation as you've put it is exactly right, he either upsets our form centre, a seasoned international who I don't think has ever been dropped at Saints and is currently on 4 tries from 6 games or basically our best centre on paper in Percival. Decisions decisions.........
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

If any centre is dropped it needs to be Naiqama not Percival.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post

As people now I am one of Welsby's biggest fan but I think he should be on the bench, Percival is the better player for me in that left centre position, hopefully his off game last week at right centre is a one off and proves to be a big threat to the Giants.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    If any centre is dropped it needs to be Naiqama not Percival.
    I dont necessarily think its Percy being dropped. Its more down to Welsby playing well, that Percy was always going to struggle to get back in.

Welsby has been one of the few constant players in the squad since the start of the season it would be disruptive to put Percy in right now.

Percy is a quality player and will more than likely get his chance to string some game time together latet in the season.

But going into a knock out game you want some form of consistency in your back line

IMO ofcourse

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    As people now I am one of Welsby's biggest fan but I think he should be on the bench, Percival is the better player for me in that left centre position, hopefully his off game last week at right centre is a one off and proves to be a big threat to the Giants.
    Tough on Welsby if he is left out. I know Percy cocked up 2-3 times last week, but hew running faster onto the ball than anyone I have seen recently. It's a pity that without scrums it is so much harder to find a gap, or he could have has a field day.

You've got to remember that in the games where Percy has played and has been running in like a steam train, Tommy Mak hasn't.

Makinson does an awful lot of work in our own half and Percy has filled that role (to some degree) in the matches he has played recently.

Banned

He would need some decent ball to run on to instead of being used to cart the ball up from our own half.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Child is the ref tomorrow!!
    Oh dear. From what I've seen from him this season he's been awful. Pretty much managed to get himself on a par with Hicks and that can't have been easy. It'll be every decision going the perceived "underdogs' way then, so once again we'll be pinged for "six again" every set. All in the interests of making the game more exciting for the specatator ala Hicks.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I’d drop Naiqama. Sick of seeing him go through the motions. He doesn’t do enough for me.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

I agree as well.

big call on selection.

form v reputation.

Percy is a world class centre, but he's not at the races at the moment. His performance last time out was poor and in a knock out game you don't want to be trying to play players in to form. Welsby for me.

In The South Stand

I agree as well.

big call on selection.

form v reputation.

Percy is a world class centre, but he's not at the races at the moment. His performance last time out was poor and in a knock out game you don't want to be trying to play players in to form. Welsby for me.

Noooobie

Percival on the left all day for me, I'm quite staggered he's been pushed to the right to accommodate welsby. Welsbys done well don't ge me wrong, but Percival has arguably been our biggest threat running lines and out wide for years.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

With the way Percival and a Coote were brought back in I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Knowles too was just named in the 21 man squad and didn’t make it.

He's just trying too hard, trying to run through a gap that isn’t there and he,s doing it before he has secured the ball.

It’s as though he’s trying to make up for lost time when he needs to calm down, he needs a couple of games.
    Exactly , KW should tell him to calm down . We all know how good he is , he has no need to go overboard .

I was really looking forward to seeing Welsby at L/F / Think he could be a cracker there

Will the game be shown on the Our league App for eligible season ticket holders