Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sky Sports extends Super League TV deal

Default Sky Sports extends Super League TV deal

Seems to be a fair bit of conflicting information knocking about: St Helens Reporter article suggests it starts next year. That would make sense, as it’s a two-year deal ending in 2023. I wonder if the comment on the BBC website means that Sky might be willing to start letting other broadcasters show games straight away, though.

In The South Stand

Wonder how much influence Ken Davey has had on this and what input he had from a club perspective? Seems at first glance to be a good deal.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I think that may mean Sky's free to air channels, so possibly Sky Mix or Sky One.

Don't Sky have some partnership with channel 4, like they did for the Cricket World Cup Final?

Sky Arts is on Freeview too?!
    That's the way I read it there is no mention of BBC?ITV etc having access to games. I think that THE broadcaster is SKY
    From the BBC Sport article:
    "Part of the new deal will also see Sky make some of this season's fixtures available via Thebroadcaster's free-to-air platforms.’

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    That's the way I read it there is no mention of BBC?ITV etc having access to games. I think that THE broadcaster is SKY
    "Part of the new deal will also see Sky make some of this season's fixtures available via The broadcaster's free-to-air platforms.’

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

"Part of the new deal will also see Sky make some of this season's fixtures available via Thebroadcaster's free-to-air platforms.’
    This season's fixtures is the bit of relevance there. They'll make some of this years fixtures available on their FTA channels. From next season it's a different situation where they'll have less games and only have guaranteed first picks which means someone else will have rights to some second pick games.

I think it's the Yorkshire Post article that suggests there will be games on the BBC. Hopefully they haven't got the wrong end of the stick.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I think that may mean Sky's free to air channels, so possibly Sky Mix or Sky One.

Don't Sky have some partnership with channel 4, like they did for the Cricket World Cup Final?

Sky Arts is on Freeview too?!
    Is Sky One FTA now? It never used to be. Can't say I've watched it in years to be honest.

Banned

With the game at its most grindingly boring for years, it's perhaps not the best time to try to showcase it to a wider/new audience

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Is Sky One FTA now? It never used to be. Can't say I've watched it in years to be honest.
    No, you still need the basic Sky package to get it. Sky Arts, Sky News and Pick are the three Sky owned channels that are on Freeview. I imagine they'll stick some games on Pick this season like they did with Premier League games at the end of last season. From 2022 it looks like a completely different deal, with Sky down to 66 games and only guaranteed first picks every week including the play-offs. This strongly suggests (and the Yorkshire Post article backs it up) that another 10 or so will be on BBC. These will be selected 'second pick' games including one or two play-off games on Saturday afternoons.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    No, you still need the basic Sky package to get it. Sky Arts, Sky News and Pick are the three Sky owned channels that are on Freeview. I imagine they'll stick some games on Pick this season like they did with Premier League games at the end of last season. From 2022 it looks like a completely different deal, with Sky down to 66 games and only guaranteed first picks every week including the play-offs. This strongly suggests (and the Yorkshire Post article backs it up) that another 10 or so will be on BBC. These will be selected 'second pick' games including one or two play-off games on Saturday afternoons.
    Ah right, that's what I've got at the moment but I never watch them anyway. I have to say, I've always been a fan of Saturday afternoon games and I hope fans buy into it, the whole thing on the face of it seems like a step in the right direction. Credit were it's due to whoever got this deal over the line.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Seems logical

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    With the game at its most grindingly boring for years, it's perhaps not the best time to try to showcase it to a wider/new audience
    Yeh but we only dislike the current standard because we’ve seen better. The newbies to the game will still be impressed. Even played like it currently is its much more entertaining than Union, football or cricket. In my opinion of course.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Yeh but we only dislike the current standard because we’ve seen better. The newbies to the game will still be impressed. Even played like it currently is its much more entertaining than Union, football or cricket. In my opinion of course.
    Who was the poster who urged his 'union-supporting, but not league-unfriendly' colleagues to watch the GF, and they said they switched off at half-time because it was so boring?

It's a common theme for casual fans.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Who was the poster who urged his 'union-supporting, but not league-unfriendly' colleagues to watch the GF, and they said they switched off at half-time because it was so boring?

It's a common theme for casual fans.
    I don’t know. The guy who posted something about his boss being a union fan? Something about Sale and Salford? Or was that a different post altogether?
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

This season's fixtures is the bit of relevance there. They'll make some of this years fixtures available on their FTA channels. From next season it's a different situation where they'll have less games and only have guaranteed first picks which means someone else will have rights to some second pick games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I think it's the Yorkshire Post article that suggests there will be games on the BBC. Hopefully they haven't got the wrong end of the stick.
    I missed the bit about "this season" does that mean the FTA will be showing games a season old? I'm still a bit concerned that "the" broadcaster will be sky.
    I had not seen anything from the Yorkshire Post, but I hope they are right BBC would be far preferable to one of Sky's FTA channels.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I missed the bit about "this season" does that mean the FTA will be showing games a season old? I'm still a bit concerned that "the" broadcaster will be sky.
    I had not seen anything from the Yorkshire Post, but I hope they are right BBC would be far preferable to one of Sky's FTA channels.
    The BBC games would be a separate 10 game package. The Sky FTA games come out of their existing allocation.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Yeah, and I think the YP have slightly reigned back on their 'scoop' yesterday, maybe because a deal hasn't been signed.

I don't think they would have made such a big deal about Sky having 'first picks' in 2022 and 2023 under the new deal unless someone else was going to be involved. If you only have Sky showing games and they show 2/3 games a week there is no point referencing first picks because Sky show whichever 2 or 3 picks/games they want. To say they have first picks indicates that somebody else will have some second picks. This was the language used when BT* took some PL games. Sky emphasised how many first picks they still had, knowing that they no longer had all the big games over the season. This sounds similar.

As for this season, you are definitely right. The FTA broadcaster sounds definitely like Sky just sticking some games on one of their FTA channels. But it would be massively difficult to get them to give games away to anyone else under the current contract. Next season though it's a different deal and I think games will be somewhere other than Sky, even if Sky do decide to stick some of their games on their FTA channels as well.

I'm optimistic that if this is done well it could be really good for the sport. There has also been talk of making the Super League Show national at the weekend (something I've called for for ages) in connection with these reported Sat 3pm games. If we could get RL on the BBC every Sat (10 live SL games, 3 Cup weekends, the Cup Final and a weekly highlights show) at around 3pm we'd be doing amazingly well. We won't be getting Saints v Wigan on FTA but we would get some decent games over the season and it would be a big chance for the game to get into more homes, hopefully off the back of a successful World Cup.

*BT by the way are attempting to sell a big chunk of BT Sports according to the papers this morning, which could be interesting in terms of future sports deals here. Disney, Amazon and DAZN are rumoured to be interested, and maybe even ITV.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    The BBC games would be a separate 10 game package. The Sky FTA games come out of their existing allocation.

Yeah, and I think the YP have slightly reigned back on their 'scoop' yesterday, maybe because a deal hasn't been signed.

I don't think they would have made such a big deal about Sky having 'first picks' in 2022 and 2023 under the new deal unless someone else was going to be involved. If you only have Sky showing games and they show 2/3 games a week there is no point referencing first picks because Sky show whichever 2 or 3 picks/games they want. To say they have first picks indicates that somebody else will have some second picks. This was the language used when BT* took some PL games. Sky emphasised how many first picks they still had, knowing that they no longer had all the big games over the season. This sounds similar.

As for this season, you are definitely right. The FTA broadcaster sounds definitely like Sky just sticking some games on one of their FTA channels. But it would be massively difficult to get them to give games away to anyone else under the current contract. Next season though it's a different deal and I think games will be somewhere other than Sky, even if Sky do decide to stick some of their games on their FTA channels as well.

I'm optimistic that if this is done well it could be really good for the sport. There has also been talk of making the Super League Show national at the weekend (something I've called for for ages) in connection with these reported Sat 3pm games. If we could get RL on the BBC every Sat (10 live SL games, 3 Cup weekends, the Cup Final and a weekly highlights show) at around 3pm we'd be doing amazingly well. We won't be getting Saints v Wigan on FTA but we would get some decent games over the season and it would be a big chance for the game to get into more homes, hopefully off the back of a successful World Cup.

*BT by the way are attempting to sell a big chunk of BT Sports according to the papers this morning, which could be interesting in terms of future sports deals here. Disney, Amazon and DAZN are rumoured to be interested, and maybe even ITV.
    Thanks both of you. It makes a bit more sense now.

Learning All The Songs

Wouldn’t surprise me if Disney took a stake in BT Sport, given how BT Sport already has an ESPN channel and Disney own ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Wouldn’t surprise me if Disney took a stake in BT Sport, given how BT Sport already has an ESPN channel and Disney own ESPN.
    Agreed, it would make sense given the existing link and I would make them favourites.

I wouldn't rule out ITV though, and that intrigues me alot. They'd be eyeing up a chunk of BT Sports thinking they could take a cut of the revenue BT make on subscriptions for their CL and PL rights and also then get to stick the bigger games on ITV and cream in the advertising revenue off the back of PL games, the CL Final which would attract big audiences on FTA etc. It would be a good move for RL as well if in 2024 we had a strong BT-ITV being interested, with games on their pay platform and maybe the Grand Final and bigger games live on ITV on top.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...sNgdKYpALgtVTk

Set to be big screens and video refs at every super league game next year as part of the deal with sky.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...sNgdKYpALgtVTk

Set to be big screens and video refs at every super league game next year as part of the deal with sky.
    One bit of good news to come out of the farce of losing nearly 40% of the tv rights money.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Might just be my because my brain is made of mash atm but....

If the previous deal was £40mil and this deal is £25 mil. But with it we get more games on FTA, we get video refs at every game.

Then on the face of it, is this deal better value for money?

But then that begs the questions, what has the £40 mil from the previous deal been spent on? No FTA, no VR ect.

Learning All The Songs

2 more years of Bill Arthur not knowing his arse from his elbow, on about Danny Richardson kicking a goal from his own half, ‘it was Castleford against Warrington in 2018, and Richardson kicked the goal for St Helens’, ••••ing clown.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    That was my thought - the mention of Sky getting 'first pick' suggests that the games they don't pick may be available to either stream on OurLeague or sell to other broadcasters. That could be the one positive out of this new deal.
    lower leagues in talks with broadcasters I read also Super league in talks with broadcasters for remaining games.