Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Hudersfield

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Probably not showing hudds anything before the cup game?
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I agree that we'll kick ourselves if we don't get to Wembey and win the Cup this year. Good QF draw, two of Wigan, Hull, Wire and Catalans to go out before the SFs, we have to be massive favourites and our style of play is suited to grinding out big games. I've never been more confident for years that our team is equipped to win trophies. But it's still dull as hell watching us not deviating from the 'Cup game' style when we don't need to. You mentioned our attacking and defensive records, but we've just played four of the five worst sides in the league and have beaten them by an average of 21 points. I'm not sure that's anything to be that OTT about IMO given how much better than them we are. It'd be like crowing about Man City starting the year with four 2-0 wins over Fulham, West Brom, Sheff United and Brighton. Job done, nothing more.
    Exactly the point I was making last week. We know we're ahead of most by a country mile, even with a few injuries like we've had early season. I'll repeat what I said about Woolf tailoring our tactics to get him a NRL job which he almost certainly will the way he's going.

What I will say for him, having been critical is that he seems happy to be giving young lads a chance. I thought Dodd really livened the game up when he came on and Wingfield looks a bit of rough house, similar to Knowles and then obviously Welsby who's started the season well. I'm also glad he's sent Eaves and Simm out on loan, that will do them no harm.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

People are saying Huddersfield are poor and bottom 5 material. So far this season they have lost to Hull KR on Golden point, Catalan by 10, Hull by 12 and Saints by 8.Okay they are loses but they don't look that poor on those results.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    People are saying Huddersfield are poor and bottom 5 material. So far this season they have lost to Hull KR on Golden point, Catalan by 10, Hull by 12 and Saints by 8.Okay they are loses but they don't look that poor on those results.
    They look a pretty decent side to me they soaked up a lot of pressure in that first half and got back on the bus in the second half, with half backs Cogger and Sezer that looks a promising partnership. When we meet them in the Challenge Cup round I think they will be a better team its up to us to improve as well over the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    At one time we scored tries without a finger laid on the scorer. Its a bit sad when Lomax has to storm onto a short ball and dive in at feet and shins to score. He got up touching his head as if he’d loosened some of his metal plates. We shouldn’t have him (or any half back) having to run lines like that because we can’t unlock defences with good ball movement.
    I'm not sure about that fishy. Lomax was supporting a probing run from Dodd from the play the ball. He was always going to have to take a whack to get over there. Longy did that plenty of times. His try in the first WCC game against Brisbane for example

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    They look a pretty decent side to me they soaked up a lot of pressure in that first half and got back on the bus in the second half, with half backs Cogger and Sezer that looks a promising partnership. When we meet them in the Challenge Cup round I think they will be a better team its up to us to improve as well over the coming weeks.
    Agree. Those 2 halfbacks could prove to be really handy. I like McQueen as well. Solid runner

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Agree. Those 2 halfbacks could prove to be really handy. I like McQueen as well. Solid runner
    Seems he's a Harry Potter fan, too.

Banned

McQueen ••••es me off for some reason. Absolutely no reason why, he just does.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    he has the look of someone who should be playing for Wigan.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I know what you mean. No logical reason for him to grind my gears but he does.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I'm not sure about that fishy. Lomax was supporting a probing run from Dodd from the play the ball. He was always going to have to take a whack to get over there. Longy did that plenty of times. His try in the first WCC game against Brisbane for example
    Yeh thats a good point mate.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Did McQueen score that jammy try against us in the WCC when it came off someone's head? Or am I thinking of someone else?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Did McQueen score that jammy try against us in the WCC when it came off someone's head? Or am I thinking of someone else?
    Yeh i think he did mate.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    I know what you mean. No logical reason for him to grind my gears but he does.
    It’s the stupid ••••ing haircut. How could that not annoy anyone?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I didn't think we were as bad as some posters. We didn't throw it out wide very often, but I think you need to give Hudds some credit for being up in our face defensively. I thought that Welsby was great at keeping the ball alive, and that Dodd is starting to look more at home in the team. Amor is probably having his best season since he joined.

Hull only struggled past Wakefield last night and they are looking real contenders this year according to many. We haven't hammered anyone yet but the style of play won't produce many 40/50 point beatings. At the same time it is a very reliable formula for achieving wins week in week out. No matter who we play it will be difficult to score against us if we dominate territory through our lack of mistakes and penalties and have a good kicking game. We are generally not even giving the opposition a look at our line.

Got A Season Ticket

The Giants are decent I agree and when Watson sorts things out and those half backs get firing they will be a force and win more than they lose for sure. CC should be a cracker.

We are doing really well and despite the doubters 2 Grand Finals and we’re still the team to beat.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Hull only struggled past Wakefield last night and they are looking real contenders this year according to many. We haven't hammered anyone yet but the style of play won't produce many 40/50 point beatings. At the same time it is a very reliable formula for achieving wins week in week out. No matter who we play it will be difficult to score against us if we dominate territory through our lack of mistakes and penalties and have a good kicking game. We are generally not even giving the opposition a look at our line.
    You can't win with some folk though Sean. If we were running up 40/50 point beatings to "lesser" teams, the same folk would be telling us how bad the standard is with the rest of the league. This year it appears pretty competitive, isn't that what we want?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    You can't win with some folk though Sean. If we were running up 40/50 point beatings to "lesser" teams, the same folk would be telling us how bad the standard is with the rest of the league. This year it appears pretty competitive, isn't that what we want?
    So true,the start of last season we had lost 3 games before lockdown began. This season we are unbeaten so far. Honestly i think some people would complain there are to many players in yellow boots,just to have something to moan at.

Starting A Programme Collection

I think set-restarts are helping stop some blow out scores this season. Teams can give away set restarts when they're feeling pressure to then use that extra couple of seconds to re-set.

Defences do generally seem a bit better because of this although our attack is still way off. Roby only ran for 7 metres according to the SL site, that for me is a clear sign of the set-restart allowing teams to re-set quicker. You're less likely to infringe if the opposition can kick it 20/30 metres down field. I did like the rule at first but not so sure now.

I actually think we're one of the biggest culprits for what I'm on about as well, though. We're happy giving the opposition 7/8 tackles in their own half as we're not worried.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    I think set-restarts are helping stop some blow out scores this season. Teams can give away set restarts when they're feeling pressure to then use that extra couple of seconds to re-set.

Defences do generally seem a bit better because of this although our attack is still way off. Roby only ran for 7 metres according to the SL site, that for me is a clear sign of the set-restart allowing teams to re-set quicker. You're less likely to infringe if the opposition can kick it 20/30 metres down field. I did like the rule at first but not so sure now.

I actually think we're one of the biggest culprits for what I'm on about as well, though. We're happy giving the opposition 7/8 tackles in their own half as we're not worried.
    Set re-starts are OK if the ref is consistent but it gets frustrating when its not applied correctly. The one advantage is that generally overall the PTB's are quicker which is an advantage to us, to combat that the opposition teams have much improved line speeds and thats why we don't see a lot of open attacking play.

Bentley is our worst offender and most refs are aware of it, we seem to handle the re-starts OK because we 3 or 4 players who are the major contributers of the sliding defence, thats usually Roby, Bentley, Knowles (Wingfield).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Set re-starts are OK if the ref is consistent but it gets frustrating when its not applied correctly. The one advantage is that generally overall the PTB's are quicker which is an advantage to us, to combat that the opposition teams have much improved line speeds and thats why we don't see a lot of open attacking play.

Bentley is our worst offender and most refs are aware of it, we seem to handle the re-starts OK because we 3 or 4 players who are the major contributers of the sliding defence, thats usually Roby, Bentley, Knowles (Wingfield).
    I like the set restarts but as you say the refs need to be consistent, which they never are. I was quite happy with our performance against Hudds. I think that though no scrums have speeded the game up, the lack of scrums means that when you are attacking yo nearly always have a full team lined up against you. making it more difficult to get the ball wide.

Yeah that's a fair point. I'd like to see who has given the most away in the league, we must be up there!

I've not created a new topic, but just for everybody's info for season ticket holders , you can now obtain a refund for the three games already lost by phoning the ticket office, further details on club website, just done mine quickly and efficiently

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    I've not created a new topic, but just for everybody's info for season ticket holders , you can now obtain a refund for the three games already lost by phoning the ticket office, further details on club website, just done mine quickly and efficiently
    Have let the club keep my refund