Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 21 man squad v Wakefield

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guns86 View Post
    I think Welsby played academy at 6 didn't he (I don't watch it but thought I'd read that somewhere)? He's not played there for the first team yet, and may never do but he has developed in the last year because of his time on the field in whatever position we could fit him.

Getting game time for Dodd is the most important thing in the short term so barring an injury to our halves spelling Roby is the best chance for him to get his hands on the ball. His chance to play at 7 for us will come but steadily building his game time, input and confidence is more important right now.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    While I would like to see him get a go at 7, nothing wrong with giving him time at 9 provided we are on top. He has a very good pass from the PTB and will be getting used to the pace and physicality.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    While I would like to see him get a go at 7, nothing wrong with giving him time at 9 provided we are on top. He has a very good pass from the PTB and will be getting used to the pace and physicality.
    I agree with this, it won't do him any harm to be in the middle of it all and he seems to be coping well enough. It will have him right for if he we need him to start at 7 although Theo is a tough, durable sort so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I agree with this, it won't do him any harm to be in the middle of it all and he seems to be coping well enough. It will have him right for if he we need him to start at 7 although Theo is a tough, durable sort so we'll see.
    Yeah I think the point is to build his bodies tolerance to the workloads required at the top level whilst giving him a chance to be involved in almost every play. Rather than waiting for an injury in the halves to throw him in for a full 80 on consecutive weeks without any match conditioning.

We might complain about not seeing him at 7 but I doubt he is complaining about not playing there as He'll see his pathway more clearly than us. He, and the rest of the young lads, haven't had a lot of game time over the last 18 months so steadily building them up makes sense to me. We just have to be patient.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guns86 View Post
    Yeah I think the point is to build his bodies tolerance to the workloads required at the top level whilst giving him a chance to be involved in almost every play. Rather than waiting for an injury in the halves to throw him in for a full 80 on consecutive weeks without any match conditioning.

We might complain about not seeing him at 7 but I doubt he is complaining about not playing there as He'll see his pathway more clearly than us. He, and the rest of the young lads, haven't had a lot of game time over the last 18 months so steadily building them up makes sense to me. We just have to be patient.

Spot on mate, I can't disagree with that at all.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I think Woolf is handling the youngsters very well, we all would like to see Dodd play in the halves but I should imagine that will come in the second half of the season, more so if Woolf has the comfort of able to rotate his squad.

Coote and Fages are off contract end of the year and it’s very highly likely those positions will be covered via Dodd and Welsby for 2022.

Our greatest concern is missing the attacking skills of Percival, it’s going to be very difficult for Simm to progress as quickly as Welsby to be a replacement along the back line.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 19th April 2021 at 09:03.

Starting A Programme Collection

Find all the negativity madness. We didn't win a comp from 2014-2019 and we're berating a man who just won us it in his first season and our second in a row. Holbrook was a superb coach but it still took him 2 and a half year to win a big knock out game. We had a bloody tussle with Halifax to win his first one! I'm not sure why we have to compare to him every time and if we do, Woolf is 1 from 1 and he's 1 from 2 and a half. JH deserves credit for turning the club around big time but Woolf is hardly a disaster so far.

I don't get why people think we should be winning the comp playing like harlem globetrotters when we've just had a 5 year bleak spell of average regular seasons (bar 2018) and knockout game disappointment. The focus should just be winning games?

If Woolf wins SL this year he's our first coach to go back to back (in SL) himself and that would be part of 3 in a row. Be remarkable.

Maybe the fact I don't support a good football team is what causes this but when my teams win I'm just happy. If they've won 3 league games with ease conceding 2 tries and getting through a cup game knockout round I'm very happy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    Find all the negativity madness. We didn't win a comp from 2014-2019 and we're berating a man who just won us it in his first season and our second in a row. Holbrook was a superb coach but it still took him 2 and a half year to win a big knock out game. We had a bloody tussle with Halifax to win his first one! I'm not sure why we have to compare to him every time and if we do, Woolf is 1 from 1 and he's 1 from 2 and a half. JH deserves credit for turning the club around big time but Woolf is hardly a disaster so far.

I don't get why people think we should be winning the comp playing like harlem globetrotters when we've just had a 5 year bleak spell of average regular seasons (bar 2018) and knockout game disappointment. The focus should just be winning games?

If Woolf wins SL this year he's our first coach to go back to back (in SL) himself and that would be part of 3 in a row. Be remarkable.

Maybe the fact I don't support a good football team is what causes this but when my teams win I'm just happy. If they've won 3 league games with ease conceding 2 tries and getting through a cup game knockout round I'm very happy.
    Nobody has said they expect us to play like the Harlem Globetrotters but if you don't understand why people want to see a bit more flair then it's pointless it being explained.

Starting A Programme Collection

Why is winning not enough? back in 2015/16/17 at times we were 8th in the league. We played expansive in 2018, had the best team in the comp by a distance and didn't even make a final.

Someone on twitter said to me I think people are bored of just winning and bizarrely I think he's right.

We scored some good tries in the second half on Friday. Wasn't 6 barge overs yet the style is being slammed, hence the harlem globetrotters comment.

In The West Stand

Nobody has said they expect us to play like the Harlem Globetrotters but if you don't understand why people want to see a bit more flair then it's pointless it being explained.
    The tries we scored vs Wakefield had plenty of flair? Two tries from our own half, one of which was easily try of the week, and had every component you could ever want; a rampaging prop, breaking the line and offloading, a stepping halfback, finding a gap, a centre running a great line, and then finding his winger with a flick pass who then dives over.

What this thread seems to be about is people wanting flair when the team haven’t earnt the right to play with flair, and aren’t in a dominant enough position in the game to play that way, which would just lead to mistakes, and conceding. Would it have been a better game if we had conceded 20 points in the first half and then mounted a comeback? It feels like some on this thread would say yes...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

It's difficult to play with flair until defences are stretched and players tiring.People just have to get used to it and understand the game better.It is rare these days for top sides not to concentrate on defence.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    It's difficult to play with flair until defences are stretched and players tiring.People just have to get used to it and understand the game better.It is rare these days for top sides not to concentrate on defence.
    Exactly, it’s all about being patient to earn the privilege to play. All the players and coach understand that well but I don,t think some fans will buy into it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    It’s just the way the game is played overall these days in Superleague, teams stifle attacking play options as long as they can.
    Just replayed our game v Wakey, we did plenty of passing plays in the first half but Wakey did a good job of limiting our attacking options.
    Listening to the Dull v Dire game seems very much similar to our game with Dull stifling Dires attacking options, score was 2~2 at half time.

It's too easy for defences to stifle attacking play.

We're not the most flair-laden side but, as you say, the current state of the game doesn't lend itself to attacking and/or entertaining rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    It's too easy for defences to stifle attacking play.

We're not the most flair-laden side but, as you say, the current state of the game doesn't lend itself to attacking and/or entertaining rugby.
    Even more so now because teams with good defences will probably have the better points percentages when looking at final league positions. Because of it Superleague has taken away the incentive to promote attacking play in a way, teams will be more happier having an 20-6 win than a 34-20 win for instance.