Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tetevano to appeal sending off

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Why is this too much to ask of RL.
    We could do so much more with issues such as offside etc if we utilised the touch judges, and utilise al the officials for serious foul play.
    It’s something I’ve been advocating for for a while. All our linesmen do is mark touch and flag goals and the video ref is massively underused. We were once the pioneers of video technology and now we’re being left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Sorry WWW. I have no idea why I said 'kickers.' Meant to say 'halfbacks.' It's like I'm talking about something else! Apologies
    I know what you meant, whether it’s kickers, half backs, anyone who is hit late or off the ball more protection is needed.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

I think that it's all wrong now. A bit of fisty cuffs would mostly lead to a game of rugby being played once everything had settled down. Now, you are looking at a straight red for it. It's a physical game, it's bound to boil over

Instead, we now get the snide stuff, such as high shots, attacking the knees, crushers, hitting the kicker late or hitting a halfback or link man well after he's passed the ball. All capable of causing serious injury

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I notice Lineham got a 3 match for a late hit. We’ve seen him dish it to Regan a couple of times late so Hopefully it’ll be consistent punishments

Yeah, noticed that, too. The guy's a maggot. Always trying to play the hard man by dishing out cheap shots. The sort you expect to walk round town looking like he's got a roll of carpet under each arm and wearing a snarl on his face.

The thing is in this game, you get to recognise quite quickly the properly hard blokes, and the ones like Lineham (and Newton, Bailey, etc) who are just little turd wannabees.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I think that it's all wrong now. A bit of fisty cuffs would mostly lead to a game of rugby being played once everything had settled down. Now, you are looking at a straight red for it. It's a physical game, it's bound to boil over

Instead, we now get the snide stuff, such as high shots, attacking the knees, crushers, hitting the kicker late or hitting a halfback or link man well after he's passed the ball. All capable of causing serious injury
    It's always gone on though.

https://twitter.com/WiganRLHistory/s...05859414650881

No sending off, ho suspension. The game was brutal back then.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    It's always gone on though.

https://twitter.com/WiganRLHistory/s...05859414650881

No sending off, ho suspension. The game was brutal back then.
    This was one of the worse tackles (Cassidy v Morley Elbow Smash) I,ve ever seen as regards to revenge intent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqBZa1HLvQ8

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    This was one of the worse tackles (Cassidy v Morley Elbow Smash) I,ve ever seen as regards to revenge intent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqBZa1HLvQ8
    It was a terrible "tackle" As you say it was in revenge for Morley "doing" Robbie McCormack in the 1st tackle of the game, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HCyzM0V4pk but still no need for Cassidy to go in the way he did.

As Ralph says, you pick on one of our smaller guys and we'll sort you out was the way it was then. I think Cassidy got a six match ban for that and rightly so.

Banned

Is there a clip of that thug Newton smashing Long's cheekbone & eye socket as a defenceless Long's head stuck out of a tackle?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Is there a clip of that thug Newton smashing Long's cheekbone & eye socket as a defenceless Long's head stuck out of a tackle?
    Have a look on YouTube at 'the dirtiest team in world sport!' around the 4m 45sec time (I am sure that is the one).
    Last edited by tilly2006; 14th April 2021 at 18:30.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Have a look on YouTube at 'the dirtiest team in world sport!' around the 4m 45sec time (I am sure that is the one).
    Thanks for that. Full of cheapshot turds throughout the ages, eh? Skerritt was another. And Shelford ending Kev McCormack's career. Wonder if it's coached into them or just something in the water.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Thanks for that. Full of cheapshot turds throughout the ages, eh? Skerritt was another. And Shelford ending Kev McCormack's career. Wonder if it's coached into them or just something in the water.
    It was encouraged rather than coached, in the Orrell training ground years ago they use to have big prints in the corridor walls of big borderline tackles, the players and coach use to call them “car crashes”.

There are not many thugby players left in the goon team Willie ISA does a bit others get caught out easier these days.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Yes and some wonderful gracious spectators?
    https://twitter.com/wiganrlhistory/s...832960?lang=en

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Loved that, thanks

Banned

And?

Come back when you've got a compendium of thuggery to match the piescum one.

Learning All The Songs

Yeah, noticed that, too. The guy's a maggot. Always trying to play the hard man by dishing out cheap shots. The sort you expect to walk round town looking like he's got a roll of carpet under each arm and wearing a snarl on his face.

The thing is in this game, you get to recognise quite quickly the properly hard blokes, and the ones like Lineham (and Newton, Bailey, etc) who are just little turd wannabees.
    Webbo I can agree with you on Lineham and Bailey but Newton was similar to Barry Mac in my eyes. You knew what you were in for and if you wished to give it back so be it, he would not be moaning about it afterwards. Brian McDermott who had a few armed forces boxing titles gave him a right hand that spun him round, Newton came straight back at him, McDermott beat Scully in the ring at a charity event.
    Newton could be a thug and dirty yes, he was also the real deal as far as toughness goes. As for breaking Longy`s jaw maybe he knew the family of the girl that Long broke the jaw of, now as for Long there is thuggery breaking an innocent girl`s jaw.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Webbo I can agree with you on Lineham and Bailey but Newton was similar to Barry Mac in my eyes. You knew what you were in for and if you wished to give it back so be it, he would not be moaning about it afterwards. Brian McDermott who had a few armed forces boxing titles gave him a right hand that spun him round, Newton came straight back at him, McDermott beat Scully in the ring at a charity event.
    Newton could be a thug and dirty yes, he was also the real deal as far as toughness goes. As for breaking Longy`s jaw maybe he knew the family of the girl that Long broke the jaw of, now as for Long there is thuggery breaking an innocent girl`s jaw.

He was always in with the cheap shot, and I admit to being sad enough and hating him enough to sometimes have spells of games (normally after he'd put in a cheapshot) of watching for him taking the ball in or being first in the tackle to hopefully have a bit of retribution served on him. He never did. Used to run scared. Couldn't wait to get shut of the ball. Would always make sure he was only 2nd/3rd/4th in on the tackle after the tough work had been done.

A proper coward-bully type.

Just because he got chinned in a game and swung a few back (knowing his teammates would soon pile in, and it'd be broken up quickly anyway) doesn't make him a hard man.

Your line about Long and the girl is one you've used before, and is just an irrelevance to the issue of Newton being a scuzzy thug.

In The South Stand

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Newton said " I meant to do Gilmour but didn't mean to do Long" so just the intent to "do" a player like that sums up what he was like.
    Last edited by brook; 15th April 2021 at 16:39.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Newton said " I meant to do Gilmour but didn't mean to do Long" so just thr intent to "do" a player like that sums up what he was like.
    TBH looking back at that montage I didn't realise that Mick Cassidy was involved in so many borderline tackles. I remember the elbow on Morley being a shocker (much worse than the Newton hit on Longy IMO) but there were a few more nasty ones in there. Barry McDermott second man in, elbow on Sironen for GB was a shocker too.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Newton said " I meant to do Gilmour but didn't mean to do Long" so just the intent to "do" a player like that sums up what he was like.
    It's in Longy's book I think.

That said, I think the thread has turned into a bit of a Wigan bashing session & to be fair, Rogues was contributing to the original topic.

Not having a go by the way, I've done it before. Frequently

Banned

Both Nickle and Hunte clearly slipped.

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Don,t try and justify your clubs thugggery

Learning All The Songs

He was always in with the cheap shot, and I admit to being sad enough and hating him enough to sometimes have spells of games (normally after he'd put in a cheapshot) of watching for him taking the ball in or being first in the tackle to hopefully have a bit of retribution served on him. He never did. Used to run scared. Couldn't wait to get shut of the ball. Would always make sure he was only 2nd/3rd/4th in on the tackle after the tough work had been done.

A proper coward-bully type.

Just because he got chinned in a game and swung a few back (knowing his teammates would soon pile in, and it'd be broken up quickly anyway) doesn't make him a hard man.

Your line about Long and the girl is one you've used before, and is just an irrelevance to the issue of Newton being a scuzzy thug.
    I will always use the Long analogy as it has a relevance in that Long was a guilty party in thuggery also.
    The coward-bully title does not add up as a lot of players have him as one of their five toughest opponents in the former Rugby AM "hard as" segment. I respect your posts Webbo but in this case I would take their word over some biased fans anecdotal evidence, Adrian Morley states that when they were at Leeds as youngsters Newton would go after the doormen on nights out looking for a row, he said he can`t recall him coming second.
    How players view players is different to us fans , Wello said that when he went on International duty a lot of oppo players were calling Jason Hooper a grub, Wello said it was then he realised how good Hooper was for us.
    Bailey, Cassidy & Lineham never get a mention as tough opponents by former players or team mates.

Got A Replica Shirt

One of those 'wonderful gracious spectators' is my late Aunt who supported Saints all her life sometimes quite passionately I admit but she was a very nice lady and much loved by her family.
    I'm sure she would be most touched to know you thought so highly of her.

Banned

Newton and Hock epitomise the phrase scum players. Was it coached into them yes. A dirty grubby culture summed up by the way Mike Gregory was treated. To quote Ian, to much inbreeding mate, hated the dicks.

Got A Season Ticket

I think if my memory is correct he had already "done" Gilmore before Long.

If the Long assault had been the only one in that match Newton may get the benefit of the doubt.

Give up on Rogues he has repeatedly defended Newton & unbelievably Flower.....

Banned

Don't be a bellend, it was a derby, what do you expect? I polite round of applause for the horrible rat? Pity he didn't celebrate in front of the scaff' and been lynched.