Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Non Sky Saints games

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    That’s a very pro-Sky reading of the issue. There hasn’t been a single PL game not televised since the first lockdown, with all the providers getting more games and even some being on the BBC so that fans could see all the games. The league could have easily stressed to Sky that if they didn’t want to screen all the games that they would screen them instead for a fee provided they didn’t clash with a live TV game. Once again this is a situation where we let them set the rules.
    So your opening gambit would be, "we're going to breach your contract"?

The contract when negotiated didn't foresee where we are now. And carving out anything from exclusivity for an unforseen event would have reduced its worth. What we can do to negotiate mid-contract I don't know but the end result is it's certainly not Saints who are being difficult here.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of '99 View Post
    So your opening gambit would be, "we're going to breach your contract"?

The contract when negotiated didn't foresee where we are now. And carving out anything from exclusivity for an unforseen event would have reduced its worth. What we can do to negotiate mid-contract I don't know but the end result is it's certainly not Saints who are being difficult here.
    I never said that Saints were being difficult, I said the league in general should have struck a deal with Sky whereby all games could be available to fans, much like the PL did to ensure that all their games were televised. Sky's PL deal didn't allow them to show dozens of PL games that they've shown over the last year, and the BBC didn't sign any deal for live games but have had half a dozen live games in that time. BT and Prime have also ended up with more games because deals were struck.

Sky picked their games for this weekend, much like they've done for years, and Saints v Wakefield wasn't one of the ones they thought worthwhile picking. It's no loss to them if the league strikes a 6 week deal allowing non-Sky games to be played on Our League for a tenner a pop for anyone wanting to watch them whilst fans aren't allowed in the ground prior to the re-openings in May and June. If a deal hasn't been struck it's either because the league didn't care enough or Sky refused to negotiate, which is poor whichever way you look at it.

In The South Stand

I never said that Saints were being difficult, I said the league in general should have struck a deal with Sky whereby all games could be available to fans, much like the PL did to ensure that all their games were televised. Sky's PL deal didn't allow them to show dozens of PL games that they've shown over the last year, and the BBC didn't sign any deal for live games but have had half a dozen live games in that time. BT and Prime have also ended up with more games because deals were struck.

Sky picked their games for this weekend, much like they've done for years, and Saints v Wakefield wasn't one of the ones they thought worthwhile picking. It's no loss to them if the league strikes a 6 week deal allowing non-Sky games to be played on Our League for a tenner a pop for anyone wanting to watch them whilst fans aren't allowed in the ground prior to the re-openings in May and June. If a deal hasn't been struck it's either because the league didn't care enough or Sky refused to negotiate, which is poor whichever way you look at it.
    You’re spot on. One of the parties, or maybe both, isn’t considering the fans.

It seems odd, before the gates can open again, that Sky or perhaps the League should revert to showing two selected games plus Catalans at home. Even when the gates open it will presumably be for only some members.

Unlike Premier League football, which has both multiple UK broadcasters and overseas companies interested in securing a contract, Super League was faced with “negotiating” with a sole supplier while interest abroad was non-existent. The scope for building flexibility into such a deal was thus limited at the outset while the onset of Covid and the frail nature of rugby league finances did nothing to strengthen the sport’s ability to re-negotiate terms. Certainly, if I was the owner of Sky, I wouldn’t be receptive to anything that potentially threatened my subscription income.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Unlike Premier League football, which has both multiple UK broadcasters and overseas companies interested in securing a contract, Super League was faced with “negotiating” with a sole supplier while interest abroad was non-existent. The scope for building flexibility into such a deal was thus limited at the outset while the onset of Covid and the frail nature of rugby league finances did nothing to strengthen the sport’s ability to re-negotiate terms. Certainly, if I was the owner of Sky, I wouldn’t be receptive to anything that potentially threatened my subscription income.
    Look at this way. If Covid didn't exist there would have been 10,000 at LP Friday night. Those 10,000 wouldn't be watching Sky's game live that night. On Friday evening maybe a few thousand watched the game on Our League then (if they chose) watched Sky's live game afterwards. Sky are actually doing better now in terms of potential viewers than they were pre-COVID when thousands were at non-tv games on Fridays and not watching their game. Had a deal been struck to allow Our League to charge £10 to anyone wanting to watch the game I imagine less than 10,000 would have paid, which again means less harm done to Sky than the pre-COVID norms that they happily lived under.

We're not talking about Saints v Wigan being allowed on Our League for a tenner whilst it's also on Sky, we're talking about games Sky chose not to show because they aren't the marquee games of the round, and they are being played at times when they don't clash with the Sky games. We're also talking about something that will hopefully only be an issue for a couple of months, so any fears from Sky about loss of subscription revenue are IMO unfounded because right now they have a bigger potential number of RL fans watching their games live than they've ever had before.

Noooobie

Look at this way. If Covid didn't exist there would have been 10,000 at LP Friday night. Those 10,000 wouldn't be watching Sky's game live that night. On Friday evening maybe a few thousand watched the game on Our League then (if they chose) watched Sky's live game afterwards. Sky are actually doing better now in terms of potential viewers than they were pre-COVID when thousands were at non-tv games on Fridays and not watching their game. Had a deal been struck to allow Our League to charge £10 to anyone wanting to watch the game I imagine less than 10,000 would have paid, which again means less harm done to Sky than the pre-COVID norms that they happily lived under.

We're not talking about Saints v Wigan being allowed on Our League for a tenner whilst it's also on Sky, we're talking about games Sky chose not to show because they aren't the marquee games of the round, and they are being played at times when they don't clash with the Sky games. We're also talking about something that will hopefully only be an issue for a couple of months, so any fears from Sky about loss of subscription revenue are IMO unfounded because right now they have a bigger potential number of RL fans watching their games live than they've ever had before.
    Agree with this. If it is in fact Sky that are stopping other games being shown then I'm more likely to cancel my subscription with them!

Got A Season Ticket

Hopefully someone knows the answer to this.

Does the season ticket code unlock away games too? so will we be able to see the Leigh v Saints game in 2 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by st. etrigan View Post
    Hopefully someone knows the answer to this.

Does the season ticket code unlock away games too? so will we be able to see the Leigh v Saints game in 2 weeks?
    Yes

Got A Season Ticket

Thanks - nice and positive