Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: England 1. 6. 7. 9

Banned

Changed my mind, I do care. I don't want any Saints player playing especially Roby.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Changed my mind, I do care. I don't want any Saints player playing especially Roby.
    And yet RL fans complain that the sport is neglected in the national media. Attitudes like this are the reason rugby league will forever be seen as a provincial sport with no real international presence.

Banned

He will have Tomkins Full Back and Captain.

Stand Off he will go for Williams
    Scrum Half I can see him plumping for Lomax but I am not sure he will! Lomax will play a Theo type game if selected

Hooker he will go Clark (but if fit Robes will be on the bench no doubt) despite who the starting hooker is "injuries" etc etc.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    1. Tomkins
    6. Lomax
    7. Williams
    9. Clark

Not much to discuss, I think those are the best players we have in those positions
    This.

If not, Roby if he wants the 9 shirt.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    And yet RL fans complain that the sport is neglected in the national media. Attitudes like this are the reason rugby league will forever be seen as a provincial sport with no real international presence.
    Not necessarily. I’d rather no United players get picked internationally at all, I know it won’t happen but it doesn’t make me want them playing anymore. I’m the same with Saints and England RL, too. Especially given how few games England play.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Yes, it's all my fault. I'm very, very sorry.

Banned

No Dave its not your fault, blame Rogues he wouldn't listen to Ian Millward and now look what has happened. Saints back to back Champions.

Learning All The Songs

Yes, it's all my fault. I'm very, very sorry.
    It’s not just your fault. The fact is that that opinion, on the international game, is held by a large proportion of RL fans. As a consequence our international game is a joke and hence the opportunities for real growth are limited, since it makes it difficult to sell the sport outside of the heartlands.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    I had forgot about Williams. Shoe in with his Wigan connection too I guess
    Yes you cannot see pat those selections

Learning All The Songs

It’s not just your fault. The fact is that that opinion, on the international game, is held by a large proportion of RL fans. As a consequence our international game is a joke and hence the opportunities for real growth are limited, since it makes it difficult to sell the sport outside of the heartlands.
    But it’s difficult for fans to get excited about the international game when those in charge treat it as a joke themselves, look at the Lions tour in 2019, Bennett picked a squad so unbalanced it was ridiculous, because of that we ended up with and Australian stand off playing on the wing, he ignored players from the other nations in favour of using the tour as a warm up for the World Cup, add to that the failure to properly market it, how can fans be expected to feel positive about the international game?

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    1. Tomkins
    6. Lomax
    7. Williams
    9. Clark

Not much to discuss, I think those are the best players we have in those positions
    The trouble is, when you compare what we have to:

1. Tedesco
    6. Munster
    7. Cleary
    9. Cook

and

1. RTS * if he's going to make himself available before switching codes
    6. Johnson
    7. Hughes
    9. Smith

Our forward pack isn't as formidable as it was a few years back now, either.

Regards,

STEVO

Banned

Let's be honest, it's like Wales playing Anglesey. Sydney and Brisbane are big Cities and RL is everything. Warrington one of our bigger towns dont even produce players. I think the only way forward internationally is for NSW and Queensland to take part as entities in the World Cup, that may give us and NZ a chance, and bring Tonga, PNG and maybe France even a bit of a shot, even change France to Catalonia.

Banned

I wasn't apologising, I was being sarcastic.

The international game isn't taken seriously because there's only 5 countries that take it anything like serious, 2 of those don't have a pot to •••• in and are miles from anywhere, 2 compete against the 2 biggest International RU sides in the world, 1 also against the best football league in the world and the other is so far ahead of everyone else it's pointless. Also, we play internationals maybe twice a year, Saints play 9-10 months of the year so why would anyone spend their time creaming themselves over players they spend most of the year hating to see us get beaten yet again in some after season after thought? And I feel exactly the same about England football team, I'll watch them and want them to win but ultimately I don't really care because club rivalries and domestic competitions mean a lot more. If you want to try and change English sporting culture then fire away.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Matty English, Jake Wardle, Mikolaj Oledzki and Kruise Leeming all added to the England squad for today’s training session/photo op.

Going back to the original point I think Tomkins, Lomax and Williams are our best options at 1, 6 & 7. At hooker for me Roby starts every time. Then a Clark or McShane off the bench to offer more of a running threat against tired defences.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Matty English, Jake Wardle, Mikolaj Oledzki and Kruise Leeming all added to the England squad for today’s training session/photo op.

FFS, I bet the Aussie squad are trembling.

Banned

And here lies the problem Webbo. Let's not kid ourselves GB Lions was a force when reinforced by the Welsh. Now we have no Welsh so have a very small gene pool. Romantics like Rogues, I get it, I do and will support it. BUT. The gap can't close it will just get wider.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    And here lies the problem Webbo. Let's not kid ourselves GB Lions was a force when reinforced by the Welsh. Now we have no Welsh so have a very small gene pool. Romantics like Rogues, I get it, I do and will support it. BUT. The gap can't close it will just get wider.

We can usually put out a strong 17 (or at least 13), although we sometimes squash players into weaker positions just to get then in the team. But seeing players like those 4 in an England squad just rams home a) how we lack real depth; and b) how very workmanlike players are the norm these days.

Still, I remember when the first names on the GB teamsheet were all eligible piescum players, then they'd sift through the piescum reserves, then move onto other clubs.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    We can usually put out a strong 17 (or at least 13), although we sometimes squash players into weaker positions just to get then in the team. But seeing players like those 4 in an England squad just rams home a) how we lack real depth; and b) how very workmanlike players are the norm these days.

Still, I remember when the first names on the GB teamsheet were all eligible piescum players, then they'd sift through the piescum reserves, then move onto other clubs.
    I think there’s probably an element of those 4 just being nearby and not injured as to why they got called up. There’s certainly better players they could have called up but having to call up 4 players at the last minute after picking a 35 man squad that had 7 overseas players and 6 injured players in it to begin with is great planning.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I think there’s probably an element of those 4 just being nearby and not injured as to why they got called up. There’s certainly better players they could have called up but having to call up 4 players at the last minute after picking a 35 man squad that had 7 overseas players and 6 injured players in it to begin with is great planning.
    Fair points

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    But it’s difficult for fans to get excited about the international game when those in charge treat it as a joke themselves, look at the Lions tour in 2019, Bennett picked a squad so unbalanced it was ridiculous, because of that we ended up with and Australian stand off playing on the wing, he ignored players from the other nations in favour of using the tour as a warm up for the World Cup, add to that the failure to properly market it, how can fans be expected to feel positive about the international game?
    I agree, but it is a circular argument, why should fans treat the international games with respect when the governing bodies don’t, why should the governing bodies waste time and effort promoting the international game when the fans can’t be bothered with it.

How you break that circle I don’t know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

In the days of Uncle Mo. McGinty I remember pal. He was just one. I am going back more to the Clive Sullivan, then prior the Jim Sullivan eras when the Welsh gave us a backbone of steel and Cumberland and the Furness areas just kept giving quality players.

Learning All The Songs

I wasn't apologising, I was being sarcastic.

If you were apologising it would be a first.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    1. Tomkins
    6. Trueman
    7. Lomax
    9. Mcshane

Discuss
    1. Hardaker / Tomkins
    6. Trueman
    7. Lomax / Williams
    9. Hodgson / Clarke

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Bennett did a lot of damage in more ways than one to our game, his image was a PR disaster, he showed very little excitement and enthusiasm to convey to the fans. He had no respect for Superleague, if he had 13 england players playing in the NRL he would have selected all those for the international team. I reckon he put Percival international career back 2 years with his insistence of backrower Bateman to be played at centre.

We did come close to winning an international title but I don't think that wouldn't have given Bennett rights to break out in a smile for a coulpe of nanoseconds.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

EDIT: Double Post