Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Cc leeds

Learning All The Songs

Terrible display. Only Passi did much. LMS giving away penalties galore( back to his old ways) How many times have we conceded tries to Dwyer over the years? Good job they had a weakened side out.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

If we lift the cup this game will be well forgotten. Taking the penalties may have seemed negative at the time but without them we could have been losing towards the end.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Not a good performance but we’re still in the draw for the next round which is all that matters. Over the years it’s surprising how often the cup winners have had to struggle through an earlier round while stand-out victors at the beginning of the competition have frequently failed to go on to lift the cup.

In The South Stand

I didn’t think we were good. I’m relieved we’re through.

I thought Liam Moore was inconsistent as Video Ref. Roby’s try went up as a try on field. Moore asked if there was a better angle but there wasn’t and he decided that there was a loss of contact with the ball and that it was short of the line. He was faced with a similar decision with the Dwyer try but despite the fact that anyone could see there was real doubt that the ball was on the line he decided he was bound by the on field decision. I think both efforts were doubtful and that the TV evidence was indecisive so why didn’t he go with the on field decision for both? Can someone explain the difference or am I just biased? (I know I’m biased so that’s irrelevant .)

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Thompson has done nothing in any of the 3 games so far. Not a patch on ZT
    He works hard and runs hard but doesn’t move the ball and doesn’t run such good lines.

The trouble is ZT was ready for retirement and he’s a hard act to follow.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I didn’t think we were good. I’m relieved we’re through.

I thought Liam Moore was inconsistent as Video Ref. Roby’s try went up as a try on field. Moore asked if there was a better angle but there wasn’t and he decided that there was a loss of contact with the ball and that it was short of the line. He was faced with a similar decision with the Dwyer try but despite the fact that anyone could see there was real doubt that the ball was on the line he decided he was bound by the on field decision. I think both efforts were doubtful and that the TV evidence was indecisive so why didn’t he go with the on field decision for both? Can someone explain the difference or am I just biased? (I know I’m biased so that’s irrelevant .)
    Thought the Roby no try in the first half was a shocker from Thaler. He didn’t allow Robys momentum to stop before calling held up. He clearly grounded the ball.

On the game itself we look really nervous when it comes to challenge cup games. Maybe it’s the weight of expectation having not won it in so long but I can’t remember the last time we played well in a cup game? Still a wins a win and we’re into the next round.

Very poor today but we won . As long as we learn and make improvements than all is good . knock out rugby has proved challenging for us over the years and that was no different today. It goes to show that their ain’t no such thing as a weakened team in knockout rugby .

We were crap , they played well , we are in the draw that’s all that matters !

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    Thought the Roby no try in the first half was a shocker from Thaler. He didn’t allow Robys momentum to stop before calling held up. He clearly grounded the ball.

On the game itself we look really nervous when it comes to challenge cup games. Maybe it’s the weight of expectation having not won it in so long but I can’t remember the last time we played well in a cup game? Still a wins a win and we’re into the next round.
    As soon as I saw Robys reaction to the ref I knew it was a try. About as animated as you will see the guy.

We were pretty average but we have to remember that losing 2 of your pack members within the first 20 minutes isn't ideal, so a lot of the big lads had to do longer minutes and we didn't have the luxury of interchanges as we would have under normal circumstances.

We made a lot of unforced errors which didn't exactly help.

Not a great performance, we're through, but need to be a lot better.

In The West Stand

Leeds came with a clear game plan and the emotion of defending their trophy. It’s the first time this season we haven’t matched the intensity of our opposition. Ironically, I think we would have had an easier game if Leeds had had their full compliment out, as we didn’t seem to cope with Leeds playing a very different type of game (not sure if that was naive or arrogant by us).

For us to concede the 3 tries in exactly the same way is disappointing in the extreme, and very unlike what we have come to expect from a Woolf team/ Saints since 2017. There were some really poor performances from some of our usually completely reliable players; Coote, Walmsley and LMS had games to forget and with the exception of Paasi, everyone else was barely above average.

But where we’re at is now, anything less than a canter is seen as a mitigated failure. We’re in the bag for the next round having knocked a team out whose beaten us in these types of games time and again. It wasnt pretty but it was a win, and we can keep building on it.

Also, you add on two Roby tries, or take of the last Leeds try (you have to do one or the other because the inconsistency is ridiculous) and everythign is just a bit more comfortable. With the exception of the red card (which I was pleasantly surprised the right call was actually made) Leeds got away with absolutely everything today, offside, messing around at the ruck etc we seem to keep having to play against 14 this year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    As soon as I saw Robys reaction to the ref I knew it was a try. About as animated as you will see the guy.
    It’s the refs job to use all available resources to reach the right decision, not to make a snap judgement to make it look like you’re in control. Maybe having a captains challenge isn’t such a bad idea. Shame we can’t utilise the ref, linesman and video ref as a team like they do in union. TMO would have been in the refs ear telling him he needed to check that.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Starting A Programme Collection Armourer's Avatar

Ah well Leigh or Shudds

Starting A Programme Collection Armourer's Avatar

Better draw but taking nowt for granted in cup games

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but did we go into this game expecting an easy win?
    If so, it bit us on the bum and we panicked a little, leading to some uncharacteristic errors.
    Coote wasn't match fit either, which didn't help.
    I also get the feeling that players play beyond themselves when a man down. Perhaps more so that they would do when a couple of subs down?
    However, a result was all that we needed. Job done!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

In short (because I can’t be bothered formulating proper sentences):

An extremely ugly win
    Goal line defence was appalling for all 3 tries
    Coote had his worst game for us
    Poor errors from Walmsley, LMS, Makinson off the top of my head
    Dodd isn’t a hooker; him playing there annoys me
    Paasi was excellent
    Our wingers are very very clinical
    Welsby is slowly becoming a better centre than a full back
    Lomax is top top class
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but did we go into this game expecting an easy win?
    If so, it bit us on the bum and we panicked a little, leading to some uncharacteristic errors.
    Coote wasn't match fit either, which didn't help.
    I also get the feeling that players play beyond themselves when a man down. Perhaps more so that they would do when a couple of subs down?
    However, a result was all that we needed. Job done!

Agree with every point you've made. Especially after the easy early try, I think we fully switched to 'we can do this in 2nd gear' mode mentally.

Leeds, on the other hand, I think took "it's a free hit for Leeds' rather literally.

Ultra-aggressive defence that definitely pushed the boundaries, culminating in that tw*t hitting Theo late and high with a shoulder. They did reign in the 'near the knuckle' stuff to a certain extent, but still tackled like demons.

I guess that playing with 10 forwards on the pitch lends itself to aggressive tactics.

We, on the other hand, struggled to up and maintain intensity, especially at times round the ruck at the PTB.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    It’s the refs job to use all available resources to reach the right decision, not to make a snap judgement to make it look like you’re in control. Maybe having a captains challenge isn’t such a bad idea. Shame we can’t utilise the ref, linesman and video ref as a team like they do in union. TMO would have been in the refs ear telling him he needed to check that.
    It’s the inconsistency in refereeing that is frustrating. Referees that want to check absolutely everything even if they were right in front of it and those who want as little help as possible and can make their own mind up on the spot. For the referee to not pass that up today is a bit of a joke. He clearly didn’t see what happened as he made 100% the wrong call.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Coote's worst game since Wembley - but first game since November so clearly not match fit.

Walmsley made some good yards but showed handling like when he first signed for us.

Thompson made some good yards, but it'd be nice to see an offload or two in there

Paasi, great lift for the team when he came one, difficult to put down and made some good yards.

Other than that, a very clunky display again, littered with handling errors. The backs didn't really get much chance to do anything - but they took their tries well. Tough win too, losing Matautia and Lees early, and having Dodd on the bench was always going to be tricky. Probably one of those games we'd have lost prior to Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

An extremely ugly win
    Paasi was excellent
    Lomax is top top class
    Dodd isn’t a hooker the coach is just trying to get him on the field without insulting Fage, which is just laughable. Coote was obviously going to be rusty today so not too concerned with that.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

An extremely ugly win
    Paasi was excellent
    Lomax is top top class
    I thought that Welsby showed some class by drawing defenders and then executing a magnificent pass to Regan to score. One of the highlights of the game for me. To be fair to the other partnership, however, Naiqama executed an excellent pass to Tommy on the other wing that totally fooled me watching live.

Welsby seems much improved and is gaining confidence with every game.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    It’s the inconsistency in refereeing that is frustrating. Referees that want to check absolutely everything even if they were right in front of it and those who want as little help as possible and can make their own mind up on the spot. For the referee to not pass that up today is a bit of a joke. He clearly didn’t see what happened as he made 100% the wrong call.
    I've thought before now that it may be down to who is broadcasting a game.
    I just get the feeling that Sky would be screaming in the refs ear to go to VR. Not so much so for BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I've thought before now that it may be down to who is broadcasting a game.
    I just get the feeling that Sky would be screaming in the refs ear to go to VR. Not so much so for BBC.
    We can only live in blind hope that, that is not the case.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    He’s going to be a massive crowd favourite when we get fans back.
    He's like a cross between Sia and Mose, I love him already

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    He's like a cross between Sia and Mose, I love him already
    I said he mose all over again. Loved everytime he got the ball. Pitty it wasnt coote or makinson in support for him

The worry for me is that we are too easily put off our game when sides get In to our faces. This needs sorting as all teams will do it.