Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Cc leeds

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    He's in the same mould as Luke Douglas - an experienced, solid pro who does the basics well in an unspectacular way. Won't let you down but won't stand out... and won't win you a tight game with a super bit of skill.

Coming after Taia, who IMO was one of the best 2nd rowers we've had in the SL era, certainly one of the best ball handling, Thompson is a disappointment. He doesn't seem to have a pass in him.
    In my opinion that comparison is way off comparing him to Luke Douglas. We knew what type of Player was in being a tough effecient defensive player before he came over, Tai like you say was one of the best 2nd Rowers for all round abilities. Still too early doors yet after 3 games to make final judgements on a player who as already mentioned has not been playing with a regular centre yet to make a partnership, played alongside Percival, Simm and Welsby. We want 4 or 5 games with a Percival/Thompson combo get that and things will look better.

There will be a shift on entertaining value with our new recruits: 1: Iggy 2: Matautia. 3: Thompson. on tougness value 1: Thompson. 2: Iggy 3: Mautatia.

So far this season its a bit of Deja Vu as last year, quite a few players missing which is effecting any attacking structure. The opposition have seen that weakness amd are able to play a spoiling game, in the past years we would have forced the ball to come up with poor ball retention. Under Woolf we are patient, tough and defensive, boring stuff at the moment because, we are only playing around 70% the tonking of teams with an improved attack is going to come later.

Am I right in thinking that Iggy has been our only player so far this season to have effected a one-to-one ball steal? Mind you, if he says it’s his ball then fair enough.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

https://www.rugby-league.com/betfred..._report/134213

Paasi's stats superb yesterday.
    179m in 14 carries, average gain nearly 13m.
    2 clean breaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Wow it never ceases to amaze me how people judge a player after 3 games. If any of you had been judged after 3 days at work you'd all be unemployed !
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    https://www.rugby-league.com/betfred..._report/134213

Paasi's stats superb yesterday.
    179m in 14 carries, average gain nearly 13m.
    2 clean breaks.
    He had a stormer! We will always have good go forward rotating him and Walmsley.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I only watched the game this morning , but listened to it yesterday on the radio.

Listening to the game I felt that both sides had ample opportunity in the first half and both where guilty of poor possession discipline.

I felt we did kick on abit in the 2nd half and even with the sending off Leeds where always going to be a threat. They where not going to let their Cup defence go out on a wimper.

When we started clicking, we got plenty of possession and scored off the back of it.

Welsby quick pass to Grace was brilliant.
    Lomax (not to be outdone by some scallywag) long pass to Grace was excellent.

Naiqama pass out to Makinson was also brilliant.

A scruffy win. But we are through to the Semi's.

I think there is too much emphesis on us playing "champagne rugby " all the time.

Knock out games are not the games to be playing that style from the word go, you have to earn the right to play that way. Yesterday's opposition where never going to roll over and have their bellies tickled.

Next 3 games are important for the squad to fine tune their combinations with Coote now back in the side.

He's in the same mould as Luke Douglas - an experienced, solid pro who does the basics well in an unspectacular way. Won't let you down but won't stand out... and won't win you a tight game with a super bit of skill.

Coming after Taia, who IMO was one of the best 2nd rowers we've had in the SL era, certainly one of the best ball handling, Thompson is a disappointment. He doesn't seem to have a pass in him.
    That’s a joke of an opinion based on 3 games comparing him to Douglas. I’m not sure they are comparable in any way?!

He made 116m yesterday (2nd most out of the forwards) and took the pressure off the front row who had to rotate with 2 less on the bench. Yesterday did not really call for fancy stuff given that they took it to us up the middle and Walmsley got dominated early on.

Has looked really good so far I think.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    That’s a joke of an opinion based on 3 games comparing him to Douglas. I’m not sure they are comparable in any way?!

He made 116m yesterday (2nd most out of the forwards) and took the pressure off the front row who had to rotate with 2 less on the bench. Yesterday did not really call for fancy stuff given that they took it to us up the middle and Walmsley got dominated early on.

Has looked really good so far I think.
    Wouldn’t say he’s been that good, yh he does the basics well but 90% of players can do the basics of rugby. We need people that are gonna stand out and do something for us instead of just not drop the ball and tackle people. but i agree that you can’t compare him and douglas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    In my opinion that comparison is way off comparing him to Luke Douglas. We knew what type of Player was in being a tough effecient defensive player before he came over, Tai like you say was one of the best 2nd Rowers for all round abilities. Still too early doors yet after 3 games to make final judgements on a player who as already mentioned has not been playing with a regular centre yet to make a partnership, played alongside Percival, Simm and Welsby. We want 4 or 5 games with a Percival/Thompson combo get that and things will look better.

There will be a shift on entertaining value with our new recruits: 1: Iggy 2: Matautia. 3: Thompson. on tougness value 1: Thompson. 2: Iggy 3: Mautatia.

So far this season its a bit of Deja Vu as last year, quite a few players missing which is effecting any attacking structure. The opposition have seen that weakness amd are able to play a spoiling game, in the past years we would have forced the ball to come up with poor ball retention. Under Woolf we are patient, tough and defensive, boring stuff at the moment because, we are only playing around 70% the tonking of teams with an improved attack is going to come later.
    I don't know what people expect at all, a player comes with his family from the other side of the planet which on it's own is a big upheaval. Wasn't he injured for the back end of last season? yet he's expected after all that to start like a world beater and be a standout in every one of his 3 games. A few months down the line maybe better to assess his contribution.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    I don't know what people expect at all, a player comes with his family from the other side of the planet which on it's own is a big upheaval. Wasn't he injured for the back end of last season? yet he's expected after all that to start like a world beater and be a standout in every one of his 3 games. A few months down the line maybe better to assess his contribution.
    SPOT ON. Some of our so called spectators.

Banned

Sloppy from start to finish, not sure if Leeds having so many out made our lads complacent.

Lots of unforced errors, stupid penalties and switching off to let them back in it.

Few positives but our 3/4 showed what they can do with quality service. Shame they don’t get it as much as most of us would like.

In to the next round and onto the next game.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Sloppy from start to finish, not sure if Leeds having so many out made our lads complacent.

Lots of unforced errors, stupid penalties and switching off to let them back in it.

Few positives but our 3/4 showed what they can do with quality service. Shame they don’t get it as much as most of us would like.

In to the next round and onto the next game.

Really enjoying watching Swindon at the moment, balls getting plenty of air. Nice to see.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Reminded me of a game we played against Hull at home in the cup a few years ago, they had a lot of injuries that day as well but they all got stuck in and made it really difficult for us.

We made it so hard for ourselves at times though with our indiscipline with and without the ball. We made some poor errors, particularly in our own half which just gifted Leeds field position and defensively we weren’t much better, we gave away a fair few six agains when we really didn’t need to. There was that spell in the first half where we made consecutive errors in a row coming out of yardage and we need to be a lot better than that.

I thought there were positives though. We defended quite well at times, particularly towards the end of the first half when we had to defend a fair few sets deep in our own half. When we did complete some sets and we got some field position we looked much better with the ball and we scored some nice tries. Frustratingly whenever we put a good spell of play together we seemed to give the momentum back to Leeds with our own indiscipline.

Fair play to Leeds though, they did their best and if anything having eight forwards on the field probably helped them to contain us a bit but we need to be a lot better.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Don't understand the bit about Coote not being match fit. Of course he wasn't. You only get match fit by playing matches. Listening to all the comments about how weak the Leeds team was going to be it seemed and ideal game to ease him back in, unfortunately it didn't work out that way, but at least he has had a game now and will be all the better for it.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Banned

To clarify, I rated Douglas - as a solid, experienced, hard-working pro that wouldn't rip-up trees but wouldn't let you down. A real player's player.

Fair point about it being too early to fully judge Thompson (and also about playing with 3 different centres). But I did see him play in Aus as well, and his playing style is like my impression from his 3 games so far here.

I'm not criticising Thompson. But I do find it frustrating that we're already rather conservative to watch, and to replace a player like Taia, who was an attacking threat and flair player, with a less exciting/flair player. That decreases our attacking options further.

With the defence-minded Bentley playing in the other channel, our poor use of our three-quarter threat is reduced even more.

But, as some have *politely* suggested, let's wait a few more games before making full judgment.
    Last edited by Webbo Again; 11th April 2021 at 21:01.

Got A Replica Shirt

To clarify, I rated Douglas - as a solid, experienced, hard-working pro that wouldn't rip-up trees but wouldn't let you down. A real player's player.

Fair point about it being too early to fully judge Thompson (and also about playing with 3 different centres). But I did see him play in Aus as well, and his playing style is like my impression from his 3 games so far here.

I'm not criticising Thompson. But I do find it frustrating that we're already rather conservative to watch, and to replace a player like Taia, who was an attacking threat and flair player, with a less exciting/flair player. That decreases our attacking options further.

With the defence-minded Bentley playing in the other channel, our poor use of our three-quarter threat is reduced even more.

But, as some have *politely* suggested, let's wait a few more games before making full judgment.
    totally agree waste of a overseas player for me joe batchelor would do the same job as Thompson sick to the back teeth of 32 33 year forwards from overseas just propping up pensions on the back drop of leaving our younger talent going elsewhere matty ashurst at wakefield is an example for me

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Really enjoying watching Swindon at the moment, balls getting plenty of air. Nice to see.
    I was amazed Swindon poached John Sheridan from WAFC, but i wasn’t surprised the Tics let him go he’s a dreadful manager.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I’m not sure why we would go with a rotated side for a cup game against a half decent Super League side, injuries or not.
    You’ll struggle to find a bigger crook as a chairman than ‘Lee P;’ an absolute whopper.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Anyone want to remember what the state of this board was like after 3 games last year? Turned out alright in the end.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

The Leeds game was a good summary of where we're at. Our defense was good for large parts and as soon as they got close due to the short range dive overs, we scored. We've got to remember that we lost two forwards early, so those in the middle on the field will have been fatigued, particularly with it being so early in the season. That's the only reason they scored and made it close.

But it also highlighted how clunky our attack is. We really don't have an attack at all, we rely on the individual abillity and skill of the players to score points. We're particularly terrible close to the opposition line. We've got to sort that out if we're going to win trophies this season. I've seen nothing to suggest the status quo will be altered. It'll still be Warrington beating us in finals and semi finals and us beating Wigan and everyone else. If we could sort the attack and maintain the defense we'd be clear favourites, but it remains to be seen if we'll even try to do that. Woolfe seems to prefer being rigid and solid.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

So is Thompson our scapegoat this season then? Just making sure.... I don't want to look like an idiot and start blaming the wrong player

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    The Leeds game was a good summary of where we're at. Our defense was good for large parts and as soon as they got close due to the short range dive overs, we scored. We've got to remember that we lost two forwards early, so those in the middle on the field will have been fatigued, particularly with it being so early in the season. That's the only reason they scored and made it close.

But it also highlighted how clunky our attack is. We really don't have an attack at all, we rely on the individual abillity and skill of the players to score points. We're particularly terrible close to the opposition line. We've got to sort that out if we're going to win trophies this season. I've seen nothing to suggest the status quo will be altered. It'll still be Warrington beating us in finals and semi finals and us beating Wigan and everyone else. If we could sort the attack and maintain the defense we'd be clear favourites, but it remains to be seen if we'll even try to do that. Woolfe seems to prefer being rigid and solid.
    I agree.

A few people criticising Bentleys attacking ability. He started last season looking like a dangerous back rower and he scored some good trys. He runs a very good line off flat balls and has good feet at the line. I don’t think Woolf wants anything from our back rowers other than to tackle everything that moves though. We seem to smash it up the middle of the park and then our halves throw those looping balls out to our centres once we have the defence stretched.
    Even if there was a back rower available in the same mould as Taia i think Woolf would pass him up in favour of a tackling machine. I think our back rowers are gonna see very little quality ball this season.

Banned

I do feel and I may have read it wrong on viewing. Bentley made a break and went on his own with two on his outside. Bentley is good, but don't lets get too carried away. Yes it would be good to tie him down but not at any price.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    So is Thompson our scapegoat this season then? Just making sure.... I don't want to look like an idiot and start blaming the wrong player
    He is a good solid second row but lacks linking up with the 3/4's we need at least 1 SR and a loose forward that can do that. I haven't seen that from Bentley yet hopefully Sione and Knowles will provide that threat.