Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Cc leeds

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    He is a good solid second row but lacks linking up with the 3/4's we need at least 1 SR and a loose forward that can do that. I haven't seen that from Bentley yet hopefully Sione and Knowles will provide that threat.
    I actually like what I've seen from Thompson so far. He is a hard-running hard tacking 2nd rower. In a tough game, he is exactly the type of player you'd want in your pack. It seems to me that a few posters are thinking that Taia was this offloading attacking machine. He wasn't. He was first and foremost a hard-running 2nd rower and that was only because Justin Holbrook got him to play that role. Before he had any direction from the coach he was erratic at times when he had the ball in hand (wasn't his fault, the coaching was so shocking that he was trying to make things happen). Thompson isn't shying away from anything. Is making good yards and getting stuck in. He'll do for me and I'm sure when his career at Saints is over we'll be remembering a very good player for us. Manly fans would love to have him back.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I do feel and I may have read it wrong on viewing. Bentley made a break and went on his own with two on his outside. Bentley is good, but don't lets get too carried away. Yes it would be good to tie him down but not at any price.
    Only seen it the once but I thought he was in two minds. Naiqama wasn't quite up with him, and I thought if Bentley had pinned his ears back he'd have scored

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I do feel and I may have read it wrong on viewing. Bentley made a break and went on his own with two on his outside. Bentley is good, but don't lets get too carried away. Yes it would be good to tie him down but not at any price.
    I do think we should be looking at developing Bentley,s attacking skills rather than expect Thompson to change his NRL style game.

Bentley as you say makes a break but rarely has the vision to see supporting players and goes it alone, he,s a talent of getting his arms free in a tackle, developing an offload would be a great asset to him. Bateman was almost exactly the same head down, likes a bit of a wrestle etc.

Back to Thompson I don,t think we have seen the best of him yet, as. I,ve already mentioned not had a left side partnership with anyone at the mo. Once we have a settled team I expect improvements.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I do think we should be looking at developing Bentley,s attacking skills rather than expect Thompson to change his NRL style game.

Bentley as you say makes a break but rarely has the vision to see supporting players and goes it alone, he,s a talent of getting his arms free in a tackle, developing an offload would be a great asset to him. Bateman was almost exactly the same head down, likes a bit of a wrestle etc.
    Completely agree, Thompson isn't a 20-year-old that we are going to develop, he is what he is and is good at it. The Bentley-Bateman comparisons have been made before and they are accurate, and better to develop the attacking side of his game than try to change the style of a 12-13 year NRL veteran.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    I actually like what I've seen from Thompson so far. He is a hard-running hard tacking 2nd rower. In a tough game, he is exactly the type of player you'd want in your pack. It seems to me that a few posters are thinking that Taia was this offloading attacking machine. He wasn't. He was first and foremost a hard-running 2nd rower and that was only because Justin Holbrook got him to play that role. Before he had any direction from the coach he was erratic at times when he had the ball in hand (wasn't his fault, the coaching was so shocking that he was trying to make things happen). Thompson isn't shying away from anything. Is making good yards and getting stuck in. He'll do for me and I'm sure when his career at Saints is over we'll be remembering a very good player for us. Manly fans would love to have him back.
    I agree with most of this.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    So is Thompson our scapegoat this season then? Just making sure.... I don't want to look like an idiot and start blaming the wrong player
    I thought that “role” was permanently reserved for Theo Fages?