Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Is Tony Smith OK?

Billinge, on the front line with the enemy.

Default Is Tony Smith OK?

As the title says really. Since he left Warrington I'd started to wonder if Tony had some issues after watching post match interviews but his interviews on Sky today were a concern. I may be reading too much into it but he doesn't seem right to me. His demeanour is far detached from that of his Warrington days. He gets his point over OK most of the time perfectly well but in terms of his physical motion he seems all over the place. I hope the guy is ok.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by stooby doo View Post
    As the title says really. Since he left Warrington I'd started to wonder if Tony had some issues after watching post match interviews but his interviews on Sky today were a concern. I may be reading too much into it but he doesn't seem right to me. His demeanour is far detached from that of his Warrington days. He gets his point over OK most of the time perfectly well but in terms of his physical motion he seems all over the place. I hope the guy is ok.
    I noticed that. It was very distracting.

Got A Replica Shirt Saint Drew the dammed's Avatar

He's always been that way.... When he's listening he looks at the interviewer, when he talks he looks anywhere but admittedly he has become more ands more extreme in this behaviour as time has gone on but its been noticeable since he came over here.
    There's a fine line between Genius and Madness.... and on my map it's marked M6

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Deleted

Sorry wrong topic.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Learning All The Songs

He does not seem himself.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Drew the dammed View Post
    He's always been that way.... When he's listening he looks at the interviewer, when he talks he looks anywhere but admittedly he has become more ands more extreme in this behaviour as time has gone on but its been noticeable since he came over here.
    Spot on. Like that for years and always chuckle watching his gaze fly round everywhere.

Great guy, though.

Got A Replica Shirt

He's always been that way. Seems uncomfortable with eye contact, hence he always seems to look anywhere except at the person he's talking to. On the plus side; I think he's great to listen to, speaks really well.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

As others have said always been that way.
    Must say I admired Smith for taking out British Nationality when he became GB coach. Bennett was never that invested in the job.

Banned

I did think it a bit myself but then again he seemed to be smiling as much as is possible after getting nilled. Probably more likely he didn't really want to be interviewed.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I always enjoy Smiths interviews. The bloke can pull about 10 different facial expressions through the course of one sentence. Hilarious.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Season Ticket

We were thinking exactly the same about him. He's always been odd but seemed much worse than usual. Eyes everywhere except the interviewer, breaking into random weird smiles in the middle of a sentence.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

I think he is suffering from a nervous reaction to putting a large bet on it being Warrington's Year every pre season.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

I think Tony has a speech impediment and over the years he has learned how to control it by pausing and buying himself communication time. Not an unusual tactic, and he is a good communicator!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I think Tony has a speech impediment and over the years he has learned how to control it by pausing and buying himself communication time. Not an unusual tactic, and he is a good communicator!
    Perhaps he should have a word with a certain Sky presenter.

He won’t be happy if they lose this game. 2 shocking video ref decisions have hurt Rovers imo.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    He won’t be happy if they lose this game. 2 shocking video ref decisions have hurt Rovers imo.
    Agreed but they should have been penalised right at the end for a ball steal on England why he would have won the game for Huddersfield.

Banned

HKR deservedly get the win that they were nearly robbed of.

Hudds were much-hyped pre-season, but have been bobbins. Has Watson's glitter begun to fade? Sometimes a coach and team just gel, and when the coach moves, they can't replicate the success. Early days, of course, and there's a lot of new players to settle in, but when confidence slips it's hard to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    HKR deservedly get the win that they were nearly robbed of.

Hudds were much-hyped pre-season, but have been bobbins. Has Watson's glitter begun to fade? Sometimes a coach and team just gel, and when the coach moves, they can't replicate the success. Early days, of course, and there's a lot of new players to settle in, but when confidence slips it's hard to recover.
    I’m saying nothing because we play em next week and they beat us at our place last year

Seriously though, those two video ref decisions were shocking. Im not arsed which way the ball goes out of the hands. If you drop a sitter of a bounce like Chris Mcqueen did, you don’t deserve a try.

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J116 View Post
    He's always been that way. Seems uncomfortable with eye contact, hence he always seems to look anywhere except at the person he's talking to. On the plus side; I think he's great to listen to, speaks really well.
    I know, he needs to pretend he's an ageing rock star and always wear shades whilst in public.

In The South Stand

I’m saying nothing because we play em next week and they beat us at our place last year

Seriously though, those two video ref decisions were shocking. Im not arsed which way the ball goes out of the hands. If you drop a sitter of a bounce like Chris Mcqueen did, you don’t deserve a try.
    Over the last couple opf seasons we've seen mopst decisions when the ball has been lost but propelled backwards given as a knock on. Personally I don't agree with thta. However, that being said, for the sake of consistency it should measn tat the McQueen fumble was indeed a "knock on".