Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warrington's year

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    There were plenty of bad decisions, but as he made them there was no way Price could say anything
    I don't think it helped that Austin had a poor performance either.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    He was playing on one leg, should have subbed him moved Ratchford to 6 and Ashton to 1, but our leader has always struggled with the use of bench players.

Banned

Long season to come McWolf. I do think you should have seen if Leigh fancied Hill. I wouldn't have kept him playing under Hughes, it doesn't seem to fit. I know not many are about but you are short of a big hard prop.

Played him out of position. He's an international winger isn't he? ��

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Played him out of position. He's an international winger isn't he? ��
    According to Banjo Bennett he is. Literally took the mickey out of that shirt he did

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    He was playing on one leg, should have subbed him moved Ratchford to 6 and Ashton to 1, but our leader has always struggled with the use of bench players.
    Wire will be there or thereabouts in all seriousness though. Cas made us look silly last March as well

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Long season to come McWolf. I do think you should have seen if Leigh fancied Hill. I wouldn't have kept him playing under Hughes, it doesn't seem to fit. I know not many are about but you are short of a big hard prop.
    Mulhern will do well for them. He's good

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Bit early for its always your year kind of talk but Wire are wasted under Steve Price.

He cannot get the best out of a good squad of players at his disposal. Put a Holbrook in charge of these and they'd have become Champions by now.

I honestly don't know how they can have the pack they have and struggle up front so regularly, they have a really soft underbelly at times. Hill, Philbin, Cooper, Hughes, Clark are all good players. The frustrating thing is they turn up and play like peak Australia against us.

How a team with Widdop, Ratchford, Austin and Clark can fail to break teams down at times completely baffles me. They are 4 of the best attacking weapons in SL yet their game plan doesn't really allow them to play to those strengths.

I also find their use of subs strange. They seem to favour the Royce Simmons approach of having one back on the bench and barely using them and then only really using 2 of their subs for any length of time.

I can understand why their fans are tearing their hair out. A top coach would've won them a title by now with those players and my concern is they'll get it right next time and do just that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Bit early for its always your year kind of talk but Wire are wasted under Steve Price.

He cannot get the best out of a good squad of players at his disposal. Put a Holbrook in charge of these and they'd have become Champions by now.

I honestly don't know how they can have the pack they have and struggle up front so regularly, they have a really soft underbelly at times. Hill, Philbin, Cooper, Hughes, Clark are all good players. The frustrating thing is they turn up and play like peak Australia against us.

How a team with Widdop, Ratchford, Austin and Clark can fail to break teams down at times completely baffles me. They are 4 of the best attacking weapons in SL yet their game plan doesn't really allow them to play to those strengths.

I also find their use of subs strange. They seem to favour the Royce Simmons approach of having one back on the bench and barely using them and then only really using 2 of their subs for any length of time.

I can understand why their fans are tearing their hair out. A top coach would've won them a title by now with those players and my concern is they'll get it right next time and do just that.

1st April Yeah, Yeah, Yeah giving them credit you don't fool us?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rommel View Post
    1st april yeah, yeah, yeah giving them credit you don't fool us?

Banned

BBC report saying Widdop starred for Wire against Leigh.

Could he have finally recovered from the longest bout of jetlag ever recorded?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    BBC report saying Widdop starred for Wire against Leigh.

Could he have finally recovered from the longest bout of jetlag ever recorded?
    He played quite well the bit I seen. I had to turn it off listening to those morons slavvering over Wire like they were beating Australia.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

Actually, 1st April or not, you have summed up the current position perfectly. Lovely avatar as well.

Banned

Its this year or never for that group. Some skill in the Wire side but some age as well.

Learning All The Songs

Powell confirmed as joining them next year

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Worst bet since Longy
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand

Not shocked but genuinely surprised. Powell is Yarkshire through and through and to ensconce over the Pennines is a surprise.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Not shocked but genuinely surprised. Powell is Yarkshire through and through and to ensconce over the Pennines is a surprise.
    Aye. In recent memory i can’t recall a single Cas player who was bettered by leaving Cas. Hopefully for Powells sake it’s different as a coach.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Arise Sir Sulkalot and take your throne as the leader of the house of Neverneverland.

Match made in heaven and I can't wait to see him implode as the pressure at Warrington will far more that Cas and the locals far less understanding.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Used to winning nothing at Cas, he'll fit right in at Wire.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Aye. In recent memory i can’t recall a single Cas player who was bettered by leaving Cas. Hopefully for Powells sake it’s different as a coach.

Clarke's all-round game has improved since going to Wire.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Used to winning nothing at Cas, he'll fit right in at Wire.
    Powell has a massive rebuilding task on his hands.
    14 players are off contract and many of them are past their peak and getting nearer to retirement.

In a way, it is an interesting appointment as they could have potentially gone with two coaches who have won trophies in either Wane or McDermott and I'd have been a little more worried if it had been either of them given their previous records at Wigan and Leeds respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    Powell has a massive rebuilding task on his hands.
    14 players are off contract and many of them are past their peak and getting nearer to retirement.

In a way, it is an interesting appointment as they could have potentially gone with two coaches who have won trophies in either Wane or McDermott and I'd have been a little more worried if it had been either of them given their previous records at Wigan and Leeds respectively.

On your first point, that’s probably the best way to join that club. The squad is partially made up of lots of has beens, almost beens and never beens......

On your second point, McD and Wane are both used to being at a big club, and are used to winning titles. Lots. And have reputations for winning titles. They’d be risking that at the perennial underachievers.

McD took zero risk going to Toronto because they had zero expectation. Wane can pick whoever he wants for England.....

Wire is a poisoned chalice, but IF Powell does nothing, maybe a LLS or something it’s as good as he’s ever done....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Clarke's all-round game has improved since going to Wire.
    Well as a natural progression from a kid to a more mature player you could argue his all round game has improved. Has he ripped up defences like his 2014 MOS season? Im not sure he has. I think had he stayed at Cas he’d be an even better player but obviously thats just my opinion.
    Last edited by fishy3005; 7th April 2021 at 15:49.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Well as a natural progression from a kid to a more mature player you could argue his all round game has improved. Has he ripped up defences like his 2014 MOS season? Im not sure he has. I think had he stayed at Cas he’d be an even better player but obviously thats just my opinion.
    The fact I could only name one (which even then is still open to opinion) pretty much confirms your original point, though