JB&B Leach Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 119

Thread: SKY coverage 2021 and the sport that can

  1. #51
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Age
    46
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    They need to get a half-back in there, one with real insight and ability to describe the game. It would take the impetus away from Baz and Tez (both of whom I quite like) having to talk non stop about stuff they don't really know about, and would make the coverage a lot more interesting to listen to. You'd hope that someone at Sky actually watched the Fox coverage (which Sky pay for and show every week) and took a few tips from it eh!
    Yes, absolutely the right point. Briers would be good from what Ive heard from him, does Wilkin not fancy it or is he too well in with the BBC? Maybe an Aussie who knows super league well - what about someone like Luke Dorn?

  2. #52
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coors View Post
    Yes, absolutely the right point. Briers would be good from what Ive heard from him, does Wilkin not fancy it or is he too well in with the BBC? Maybe an Aussie who knows super league well - what about someone like Luke Dorn?
    half back? (shudders)

    Like others have said Baz and Tez fit the bill perfectly for how sky want to portray the sport. Meat pie.

  3. #53
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    4,242
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrum Down View Post
    half back? (shudders)

    Like others have said Baz and Tez fit the bill perfectly for how sky want to portray the sport. Meat pie.
    Remember when McDermott punched Shiels in the face in the cup semi in 2001. Shiels was on the deck after tackling him. For a minor niggle that I think Scully actually did.

    He was little more than an average hot head when he played and couldn't go toe to toe with anyone. Got a 4 match ban it. Deserved 24

  4. #54
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,998
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Remember when McDermott punched Shiels in the face in the cup semi in 2001. Shiels was on the deck after tackling him. For a minor niggle that I think Scully actually did.

    He was little more than an average hot head when he played and couldn't go toe to toe with anyone. Got a 4 match ban it. Deserved 24
    He wasn’t a player I particularly liked, and I gave him many verbals from the top of the Scaff back in the day from a safe distance! But he comes across as a decent bloke in his older years, he’s done some good work for his mate Burrow and I think he has a place in the coverage because I’m not one that thinks we should ditch what we are, a working class northern sport played by tough men from tough places.

    But he should be a more peripheral figure, one of the team, someone who does a bit of studio work as the third man or does the odd game on commentary. He’s basically RLs Neville or Carragher these days, doing everything and being entrusted to be one of the main voices when there is a massive need for someone with a better understanding of the nuances of the game beyond being a forward who likes a bit of the biff.

    There’s a time and a place for him, but it needs to be less time than he currently gets, and I’m not even knocking him because I genuinely don’t mind him and think he’d be a lot more valuable in smaller doses.

  5. #55
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,853
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coors View Post
    Id just finished watching the Wasps/Sale game on BT sport and thought Id get the rest of the Catalans match. Talk about showing things up clearly when you see both presentations back to back. Lasted 5mins, I just cant watch it with these clowns commentating. Barry going on about can he get another meat pie - just dreadful. The insight and awareness and explanations given by the BT team are so superior to what we get given on Sky.

    I can literally just about abide them when its Saints, but as far as watching anyone else its too painful. This cannot be encouraging the casual sports fan to stick with it. Awful.
    They really need to get rid of Baz&Tez. Which other sport would have a duo of commentators like those two or even named like they are. Though I accept that nicknames are probably not of their choice. They both come across as decent genuine guys, but not regular pundits, and definitely not as a duo.

  6. #56
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,377
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    They really need to get rid of Baz&Tez. Which other sport would have a duo of commentators like those two or even named like they are. Though I accept that nicknames are probably not of their choice. They both come across as decent genuine guys, but not regular pundits, and definitely not as a duo.
    I think they have grown into their roles as pundits and aren't as 'slapstick' as they once were. On another note I was really impressed with Courtney Hill yesterday. She spoke really well and gave a different angle on the game

  7. #57
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,853
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I think they have grown into their roles as pundits and aren't as 'slapstick' as they once were. On another note I was really impressed with Courtney Hill yesterday. She spoke really well and gave a different angle on the game
    Due to time difference I only watched it on catch up and didn't listen to any of the pre or post match stuff. Others have said that she was good.

  8. #58
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    4,242
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    He wasn’t a player I particularly liked, and I gave him many verbals from the top of the Scaff back in the day from a safe distance! But he comes across as a decent bloke in his older years, he’s done some good work for his mate Burrow and I think he has a place in the coverage because I’m not one that thinks we should ditch what we are, a working class northern sport played by tough men from tough places.

    But he should be a more peripheral figure, one of the team, someone who does a bit of studio work as the third man or does the odd game on commentary. He’s basically RLs Neville or Carragher these days, doing everything and being entrusted to be one of the main voices when there is a massive need for someone with a better understanding of the nuances of the game beyond being a forward who likes a bit of the biff.

    There’s a time and a place for him, but it needs to be less time than he currently gets, and I’m not even knocking him because I genuinely don’t mind him and think he’d be a lot more valuable in smaller doses.
    Certainly can't argue that he's a good guy Gray. He does a lot for others.

    I didn't rate him as a player though & that particular incident got a lot of Saints fans backs up at the time. It wasn't good

  9. #59
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    326
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Wells - haircut 2000 ! He is a wonderful way of explaining things Da Da ahhhhhh we err er er errrm wowowow

  10. #60
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Right side of the track
    Posts
    1,639
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Wells - haircut 2000 ! He is a wonderful way of explaining things Da Da ahhhhhh we err er er errrm
    wowowow




    After the event

  11. #61
    Starting A Programme Collection undertheradar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    N-L-W
    Posts
    604
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Having coherent co-commentators and summarisers who can string a sentence together would improve the coverage considerably.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #62
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    4,242
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Having coherent co-commentators and summarisers who can string a sentence together would improve the coverage considerably.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Luke Briscoe was Luke Burgess for a bit yesterday

  13. #63
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    4,182
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I think they have grown into their roles as pundits and aren't as 'slapstick' as they once were. On another note I was really impressed with Courtney Hill yesterday. She spoke really well and gave a different angle on the game
    I agree, she spoke well and obviously knows the game. I thought Carney was being a bit of a knob with her to be honest but she dealt with him easily.

  14. #64
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St Helens
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,895
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I agree, she spoke well and obviously knows the game. I thought Carney was being a bit of a knob with her to be honest but she dealt with him easily.
    I liked how they tried to big Salford up as if it was close and she shot him down with "St Helens had two tries disallowed, if they'd been given they'd have ran away with it"

  15. #65
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    4,182
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I liked how they tried to big Salford up as if it was close and she shot him down with "St Helens had two tries disallowed, if they'd been given they'd have ran away with it"
    Yeah, she wasn’t standing for any nonsense although I missed that.

    I don’t mind Kev Brown, he’s a bit monotone although he’s improved that and obviously has a good current knowledge.

  16. #66
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bury
    Posts
    968
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Warrington -Cas game littered with cases of mistaken identity by Arthur

  17. #67
    Starting A Programme Collection sinkers89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Age
    31
    Posts
    610
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    From the glimpses I saw of the game, the 2nd half looked scruffy from both sides.


    Not a good start for the current "we beat saints twice in 2020" cup holders.

  18. #68
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    991
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    SKY have had a great on field weekend, but my oh my off it! Arthur I just wish his voice would go for about six months. Baz and Tez well we had noggins, meat pies, under the aitches! just dreadful. Clarke looks like a man picking up a soft wage, Wells looks like he has been lodging with Johnny Wellies.

  19. #69
    Got A Season Ticket Mr.Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St.Helens - where else?
    Age
    68
    Posts
    313
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I actually rated Kev Brown's comments tbh

  20. #70
    Starting A Programme Collection HoofeHearted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St Helens
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I always thought that Keith Macklin (RIP) was one of the best RL commentators.
    Phil Vievers...Balls...Joan Collins...Try...Orgasmic... RH the living legend.


  21. #71
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,129
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Remember when McDermott punched Shiels in the face in the cup semi in 2001. Shiels was on the deck after tackling him. For a minor niggle that I think Scully actually did.

    He was little more than an average hot head when he played and couldn't go toe to toe with anyone. Got a 4 match ban it. Deserved 24
    Dunno about the toe to toe comment Ralph, many lads rated him in the Rugby AM Hard as Nails segment, Scully said he was always in a scuffle with him, though he called for an offload and scored under the posts in a CC round that may have put Baz in a permanent bad mood that grated with him. Basil rated him and tried to sign him saying his off load game would have suited Saints.
    He certainly had a nasty edge to him quoting the Sironen "tackle" as one of his best, that was out and out an elbow to the head assault but he was always willing to take one back if you wished to give it him. Played his full professional career with one eye and when the game finished was never one for whinging. Don`t mind him as a commentator when not trying to be a caricature but was a better than average prop.

  22. #72
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    4,242
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Dunno about the toe to toe comment Ralph, many lads rated him in the Rugby AM Hard as Nails segment, Scully said he was always in a scuffle with him, though he called for an offload and scored under the posts in a CC round that may have put Baz in a permanent bad mood that grated with him. Basil rated him and tried to sign him saying his off load game would have suited Saints.
    He certainly had a nasty edge to him quoting the Sironen "tackle" as one of his best, that was out and out an elbow to the head assault but he was always willing to take one back if you wished to give it him. Played his full professional career with one eye and when the game finished was never one for whinging. Don`t mind him as a commentator when not trying to be a caricature but was a better than average prop.
    Fair point TT. I think I'm allowing that incident to cloud my judgement somewhat

  23. #73
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,129
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Fair point TT. I think I'm allowing that incident to cloud my judgement somewhat
    yeah I am guilty of that myself, poor Ben Flower eh

  24. #74
    Starting A Programme Collection sinkers89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Age
    31
    Posts
    610
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Out of the duo of "baz and tez" i think Baz is a better commentator. He has a good general knowledge when hes on his own and seems to know where most young players backgrounds/clubs.

    Watched the Eddie Hemmings documentary again yesterday and even in the small clips of his commentary , he was head an shoulders above anyone we have know on Sky.

  25. #75
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,853
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Out of the duo of "baz and tez" i think Baz is a better commentator. He has a good general knowledge when hes on his own and seems to know where most young players backgrounds/clubs.

    Watched the Eddie Hemmings documentary again yesterday and even in the small clips of his commentary , he was head an shoulders above anyone we have know on Sky.
    I have regularly criticised Baz, but have to agree on his knowledge of the youth products. He seems to know where every player has come from and seems to have seen them play.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •