Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SKY coverage 2021 and the sport that can

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Yeah, agreed. His eyes just lit up (or opened anyway) when Carney mentioned Bateman as he actually knew who he was. Shocking really, he knew almost nothing about the champion team in the comp he now gets paid to play in.
    Wasn't sure how to take it when he was asked to tip a winner, and he said on paper Saints. From that comment I'm assuming he doesn't have an opinion based on knowing the players, and if that's the case how does a piece of paper help him; unless it says this guy's an international or this guys somebody else's cast off. He reckons he will be up to speed for round 3 or 4. He has been an all time great, but the way he looked I think they should have asked him which season he is referring to.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    SKY coverage 2021 and the sport that can't present itself.

All ready and set for another Super League season which should be a cracker though I think Saints and Wigan are some way ahead of everyone else. Sadly the presentation of the sport is some way off so looking forward to:

1. The first (of many) daft Northern caricature routines by Baz n Tez.
    2. Time taken for Bill Arthur to get the players name wrong and mix Regan Grace up with Alex Walmsley.
    3. If the silly try music will remaining together with the equally outdated 'right here, right now' after a video ref refferal (or even worse 'making your mind up' by Abba)
    4. Getting the decibel metre out to measure how loud Jon Wells can shout at half time and whether he can use the word 'fantastic' more than Frank Sidebottom.
    5. Whether Phil Clarke can outdo himself again and come up with an arcane reason why an absolute no hoper will win the League; that and his latest fashion faux-pas.
    6. How dull, mundane and unimaginative the opening credits will be.
    7. Seeing what daft gimmick the game be used as a gunea pig to trial this year; come to think of it whatever happened to 3D TV by the way?
    8. Whether there are any questionable last minute deals for the sport to sell its naming rights, image rights etc for a green shield stamp and a box of fags.
    9. Time taken for the dated hard sell: "SuperLeague gets better and better," "it should be the best season yet" etc. Admittedly more of an outside bet now Hemmings is gone.

There will doubtless be many opportunities to lampoon the coverage so here's a toast to a garbage broadcaster and the fun they provide with their inept and outdated coverage.
    This just about encapsulates the feelings on here .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Why do we need so many pundits/commentators?

It's been mentioned but dear me, Greg Inglis. Hadn't a clue what he was watching. Not sure what Danny McGuire is up to these days but we need him as a full time pundit. He was excellent when he was on last season.

The presentation does not need tweaking. It needs to be thrown in the bin and completely revamped.

Carney and Jenna Brooks I'd keep. The rest can go.
    No, Jenna can go too. Get Jodie Cunningham in, she's far more informed and nicer to look at.

I agree with you on Danny McGuire, maybe him and Wilkin would work?

As for a lead commentator, I really don't have a clue. We just seem to go from one shambles to another although that is the RL way.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    No, Jenna can go too. Get Jodie Cunningham in, she's far more informed and nicer to look at.

As for a lead commentator, I really don't have a clue. We just seem to go from one shambles to another although that is the RL way.
    Clive Tyldsley is still out of work?

Didn't even think about Jodie Cunningham. What a great shout

Clive Tyldsley is still out of work?
    I think he would take one look (if he hasn't already) & probably give it a miss

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Watching and listening to the NRL games highlights a major problem with our coverage. Their commentary looks to enhance the game, we always seem to be looking for faults and reasons to disallow good play/tries.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    Watching and listening to the NRL games highlights a major problem with our coverage. Their commentary looks to enhance the game, we always seem to be looking for faults and reasons to disallow good play/tries.
    The NRL are in the great position where Fox really have to present the game brilliantly because three games every weekend are also on free TV on Nine. Fox have to be top notch for people to switch to them. It would be like the BBC having 3 games every weekend, Sky would have to really up their game to get any viewers. Of course, that isn't the case, it's Sky or nothing here, so they are free to do as they wish knowing we are a captive audience.

I think the Australians worked out a long time ago that having a half back in the commentary box or studio means you get better analysis. Nine use the likes of Johns, Sterling, Thurston because those lads read a game and can highlight the decisions taken quite well, and Fox use the likes of Cronk and Anasta for the same reason. Sky have stuck with the big blokes approach, so the emphasis is on the grind, the big hits, etc, and an overuse of cliches about hard work, energy, who wants it more, etc. You can't blame Baz and Tez for that, it's what they did as players, they played the game in the trenches and weren't the key decision makers on the field, but their analysis misses out real understanding of big moments as a result.

There was a moment during the Leigh-Wigan game last night where Leigh went for a daft kick option on the 3rd tackle near the Wigan line, it went dead for a drop out, and Tez was saying how smart it was because it kept the pressure on. It was the exact opposite, they ceded about 40 yards from the drop out because they made a bad decision to try a grubber into the in goal with tackles in the bag. A half-back in the commentary box will have critiqued the decision, but the forwards just went for the old cliches and failed to give any kind of analysis. Again, not their fault, they were both good players but never had to make those decisions on the field so have no experience of judging them. But if they are the only mouthpieces we have, it does become quite poor. Clarke was a better footballer than the other two, a genuine ball playing forward, but again, he is of the same ilk and relies on a forwards mentality when describing a game.

They need to get a half-back in there, one with real insight and ability to describe the game. It would take the impetus away from Baz and Tez (both of whom I quite like) having to talk non stop about stuff they don't really know about, and would make the coverage a lot more interesting to listen to. You'd hope that someone at Sky actually watched the Fox coverage (which Sky pay for and show every week) and took a few tips from it eh!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

The chuckle brothers as analysts don't even know the rules.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    Usually when we've scored! Our tries seem to be constantly challenged as to their validity. Who can forget "Where's his right foot?" in the GF from Arthur? Then he told the visually impaired that Hardaker was "Just inside his own half" when he was taking that penalty with two minutes to go, when in fact he was inside OUR half. What about constantly mixing up the names of players, for God's sake, they've not just got numbers on their backs mate, they've even got their names! Or his groaning when the slo-mo was looking at whether Welsby was onside or not re his try in the GF. Then there was the Catalans game when he called Liam Moore Liam Grant! he's an appalling commentator who adds absolutely nothing to the spectacle.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Wasn't sure how to take it when he was asked to tip a winner, and he said on paper Saints. From that comment I'm assuming he doesn't have an opinion based on knowing the players, and if that's the case how does a piece of paper help him; unless it says this guy's an international or this guys somebody else's cast off. He reckons he will be up to speed for round 3 or 4. He has been an all time great, but the way he looked I think they should have asked him which season he is referring to.
    It's filled with issues really, because whilst I don't believe he is taking this deadly seriously he will still probably be good enough to look decent and get 15 tries in the season. That will then highlight how poor the level of competition is and will lead to him telling his mates back home that this is a doddle and they should come over at 35 for a year as well. Clubs won't turn down the chance to take big names even if they are over the hill because they'll add gate revenue and interest, but the proper elite over the hill ones like Inglis will do okay and that's not a great thing in the long term.

Banned

I think he would take one look (if he hasn't already) & probably give it a miss
    Mate I agree but Sky should ask the question but we’ll make do with darts commentators. They do nothing for our sport, absolutely nothing. The sport should be looking to forward looking broadcasters not ones as dated as Sky. Great for football and cricket etc but dreadful for RL.

Banned

Mate I agree but Sky should ask the question but we’ll make do with darts commentators. They do nothing for our sport, absolutely nothing. The sport should be looking to forward looking broadcasters not ones as dated as Sky. Great for football and cricket etc but dreadful for RL.
    I wonder if it's something we as fans could be more active and vocal about when we're allowed back into the grounds? Just think, Saints V Wigan and the whole ground protesting against Sky. It won't happen because most people are happy to gob off on here or wherever else but won't do anything when it comes to it. You only need to look at the letter Gray put together and the shitty response he got. To be honest, we deserve half the shit we get as we're a bunch of lazy cry arses.

Can't argue with any of that.

Been through this before but do you think it's a deliberate ploy to portray the sport as some northern knock about on a Friday night? I know beggars can't be choosers but the sponsor board behind the interview mic last night was Northern Rail, Bachelors Peas & BetFred amongst others.

It couldn't look any more Phoenix Nights if you tried. As much as Barrie McDermott & Terry O'Connor are good blokes, they just don't help.

Wells as well. Honestly, I cannot stand him. He's terrible. Just points at a screen & shouts

I wonder if it's something we as fans could be more active and vocal about when we're allowed back into the grounds? Just think, Saints V Wigan and the whole ground protesting against Sky. It won't happen because most people are happy to gob off on here or wherever else but won't do anything when it comes to it. You only need to look at the letter Gray put together and the shitty response he got. To be honest, we deserve half the shit we get as we're a bunch of lazy cry arses.
    100% spot on

Banned

Are my eyes deceiving me or is Carney sporting a mullet?

Along with being the same shape as a barrel.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    The chuckle brothers as analysts don't even know the rules.
    Is it just me or does anyone else struggle to work out which one of them is talking? When cyclops gets going I can tell its him. But half the time I don't know which one it is that's speaking. Not that it matters.

Banned

Can't argue with any of that.

Been through this before but do you think it's a deliberate ploy to portray the sport as some northern knock about on a Friday night? I know beggars can't be choosers but the sponsor board behind the interview mic last night was Northern Rail, Bachelors Peas & BetFred amongst others.

It couldn't look any more Phoenix Nights if you tried. As much as Barrie McDermott & Terry O'Connor are good blokes, they just don't help.

Wells as well. Honestly, I cannot stand him. He's terrible. Just points at a screen & shouts
    I think Phoenix Nights is a good shout. I don't think SKY are single handedly to blame, my ire at them is more that their coverage is lazy and dated.
    The commercial and branding proposition of the sport lies at the feet of the clubs and the governing body. Both have failed miserably to bringing the right commercial partners to the sport something discussed on the issues of the game thread. Basically it seems the sport seems to think all its supporters like bingo, buy it cheap from Lidl and tinned food, budget cars and fags, booze and betting. You could'nt script it. Whilst it would be churlish that some towns are'nt exactly in Forbes it does'nt present the likes of Gloucester RFU attracting more sensible types of partner to their sport.

The likes of men's grooming products, DIY /buildingnationals, building societies /mutuals, energy companies and sports nutrition should be a realistic target but what does the sport go for - ••••ing mushy peas, one of the worst franchise public transport operators and a betting company. Awful
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 27th March 2021 at 17:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    The NRL are in the great position where Fox really have to present the game brilliantly because three games every weekend are also on free TV on Nine. Fox have to be top notch for people to switch to them. It would be like the BBC having 3 games every weekend, Sky would have to really up their game to get any viewers. Of course, that isn't the case, it's Sky or nothing here, so they are free to do as they wish knowing we are a captive audience.

I think the Australians worked out a long time ago that having a half back in the commentary box or studio means you get better analysis. Nine use the likes of Johns, Sterling, Thurston because those lads read a game and can highlight the decisions taken quite well, and Fox use the likes of Cronk and Anasta for the same reason. Sky have stuck with the big blokes approach, so the emphasis is on the grind, the big hits, etc, and an overuse of cliches about hard work, energy, who wants it more, etc. You can't blame Baz and Tez for that, it's what they did as players, they played the game in the trenches and weren't the key decision makers on the field, but their analysis misses out real understanding of big moments as a result.

There was a moment during the Leigh-Wigan game last night where Leigh went for a daft kick option on the 3rd tackle near the Wigan line, it went dead for a drop out, and Tez was saying how smart it was because it kept the pressure on. It was the exact opposite, they ceded about 40 yards from the drop out because they made a bad decision to try a grubber into the in goal with tackles in the bag. A half-back in the commentary box will have critiqued the decision, but the forwards just went for the old cliches and failed to give any kind of analysis. Again, not their fault, they were both good players but never had to make those decisions on the field so have no experience of judging them. But if they are the only mouthpieces we have, it does become quite poor. Clarke was a better footballer than the other two, a genuine ball playing forward, but again, he is of the same ilk and relies on a forwards mentality when describing a game.

They need to get a half-back in there, one with real insight and ability to describe the game. It would take the impetus away from Baz and Tez (both of whom I quite like) having to talk non stop about stuff they don't really know about, and would make the coverage a lot more interesting to listen to. You'd hope that someone at Sky actually watched the Fox coverage (which Sky pay for and show every week) and took a few tips from it eh!

Good post but unfortunately nothing we’ve not been saying for a while. Agree with pretty much all of it, they need one of Baz and Terry with someone like Longy, McGuire or Briers per game. Would make far more sense.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Gob full of wine gums is doing a better job than Billy Arthur and he can't even speak properly.

Banned

And Ryan Hall looks like the Incredible Hulk in that green strip.

Banned

This lass actually talks some sense even with Brian asking stupid questions.

Got A Season Ticket

I’d just finished watching the Wasps/Sale game on BT sport and thought I’d get the rest of the Catalans match. Talk about showing things up clearly when you see both presentations back to back. Lasted 5mins, I just can’t watch it with these clowns commentating. Barry going on about “can he get another meat pie” - just dreadful. The insight and awareness and explanations given by the BT team are so superior to what we get given on Sky.

I can literally just about abide them when it’s Saints, but as far as watching anyone else it’s too painful. This cannot be encouraging the casual sports fan to stick with it. Awful.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Coors View Post
    I’d just finished watching the Wasps/Sale game on BT sport and thought I’d get the rest of the Catalans match. Talk about showing things up clearly when you see both presentations back to back. Lasted 5mins, I just can’t watch it with these clowns commentating. Barry going on about “can he get another meat pie” - just dreadful. The insight and awareness and explanations given by the BT team are so superior to what we get given on Sky.

I can literally just about abide them when it’s Saints, but as far as watching anyone else it’s too painful. This cannot be encouraging the casual sports fan to stick with it. Awful.
    This is exactly what I argued a few months back: Sky’s coverage of RL is in the dark ages in comparison to football, motor sports, RU and cricket and dare I say, netball. There was some clown trying to deny it probably because theyd done some work experience there or something but it’s undeniable- sky are an atrocious look for the sport. Your shout on Baz n Tez is their routine daft Northern fat lad schtick.

Got A Season Ticket

I hope Super League do what NRL has done down here- the players, particularly from Pasifica or Maori heritage made short videos showing how to pronounce their names - has made a great improvement and shows some consideration to the players and their families/whanau/whakapapa.