Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Tonight’s Results

Got A Replica Shirt

Default Tonight’s Results

After HKR battered Leeds and Wakefield ran HFC close maybe our results against those two look a lot better now given the comfortable wins we got against them?

Just maybe Saints are a good team and are happy to win through hard work with or without the ball and coping with less than friendly referees! Sometimes we should be grateful that we support a winning team even if it’s not always the style that we would like. I’ll take Welsby touching down in the last second rather than Hardaker kicking the penalty every day!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

It’s an indicator how the game is played these days of restricting open play with tighter defences. I,ve not seen one single team so far who are trying to play open, attacking, exciting, entertaining rugby.
    What I have noticed is that since we got rid of scrums that defensive line from most teams has given them better opportunities to restrict creative plays.

With no scrums the defensive line is set “tighter” of course instead of players in the scrum leaving gaps so that makes sense^
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by St Miller View Post
    After HKR battered Leeds and Wakefield ran HFC close maybe our results against those two look a lot better now given the comfortable wins we got against them?

Just maybe Saints are a good team and are happy to win through hard work with or without the ball and coping with less than friendly referees! Sometimes we should be grateful that we support a winning team even if it’s not always the style that we would like. I’ll take Welsby touching down in the last second rather than Hardaker kicking the penalty every day!
    I watched the second half of Hull v Wakefield last night and thought something similar. I think Wakey and KR are improving every week and are better than a lot of people think.

That shouldn't excuse the fact that we caused our own problems in both those matches (and our others) though. It feels like we've given away more penalties and set restarts so far in 2021 than we did in the whole of 2020. At times we're so desperate to get over the line we try and force it and end up coming up with an error.

On the first point we need to adapt to what, and how quickly, the referee is calling things better. We can't continually blame the ref our players need to work with him.

On the second we seem to have calmed down a bit on that front in the last couple of weeks (probably since the second half of the KR game). Rather than just being in second gear in the 'grind' for an hour of the match I'd prefer us to try and force something in a sensible way i.e. running it on the fifth within 10m of the opponents line in place of the fages kick to the corner etc. No messing around in our own half but let's ask more questions in theirs. If for no other reason than it tires their big lads out which should make more space for us.

Plenty of room for improvement from saints no matter who the opposition is.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk