Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: SKY coverage 2021 and the sport that can

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    We complain that sky treat us as a joke and yet we have a big proportion of RL fans that treat international RL as a joke.
    It is a joke.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    We complain that sky treat us as a joke and yet we have a big proportion of RL fans that treat international RL as a joke.
    I’m not sure what the link is there but like many aspects of the game, the coverage here is a bit of a joke, as is the international game.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Has anyone seen Sin City? The scene with the two henchmen talking bollocks but wording it very eloquently? Thats Barrie McDermott.

Barrie Mcdermott - ‘we see the hurried picking up of the ball by the acting half back, probably due to numerous defenders in and around the ruck. He picks it up inefficiently, fingertip control poor, resulting in a less than accurate pass to the first receiver, who’s reaching forward for the pass, stretching out in despair, can’t quite make it and propels the size 5 forward onto the defender, resulting in a handling error.’

Everyone else - ‘It was a poor pass and he dropped it.’

I can’t bloody stand McDermotts commentary.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saint mac View Post
    It is a joke.
    I think he's still got a bee in his bonnet because I said Saints winning is more important than GB/England or whatever else they decide to call it this year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Has anyone seen Sin City? The scene with the two henchmen talking bollocks but wording it very eloquently? Thats Barrie McDermott.

Barrie Mcdermott - ‘we see the hurried picking up of the ball by the acting half back, probably due to numerous defenders in and around the ruck. He picks it up inefficiently, fingertip control poor, resulting in a less than accurate pass to the first receiver, who’s reaching forward for the pass, stretching out in despair, can’t quite make it and propels the size 5 forward onto the defender, resulting in a handling error.’

That's the thing though, he's not even smart enough to word it eloquently. He tries to be clever and ends up not being able to say what he intended. It's like asking a blind man to put a new tyre on your car.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post

When the teachers asks you to write a 3000 word essay.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    That's the thing though, he's not even smart enough to word it eloquently. He tries to be clever and ends up not being able to say what he intended. It's like asking a blind man to put a new tyre on your car.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    When the teachers asks you to write a 3000 word essay.
    Yep for sure.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Why is Clark wearing ten pin bowling shoes?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Banned

As Matautia goes to get up, English knees his ball-carrying arm. Hicks gives a knock on, Sky muppets: "he just dropped it there"

When O'brien is tackled, he falls into Lomax's knee and bangs his head. Sky muppets: "he copped a high one there"

Constant bollocks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    As Matautia goes to get up, English knees his ball-carrying arm. Hicks gives a knock on, Sky muppets: "he just dropped it there"

When O'brien is tackled, he falls into Lomax's knee and bangs his head. Sky muppets: "he copped a high one there"

Constant bollocks.
    Bill Arthur is a disease. The clumsy attempts to frame a narrative at the expense of fact. Waste of skin.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Bill Arthur is a disease. The clumsy attempts to frame a narrative at the expense of fact. Waste of skin.
    He had a bit of a tantrum when on third look, Naiqama had tackled their man in the air in the corner.

I want him out of the commentary box as much as I want the Glazers out of Utd. The guy is an embarrassment

Banned

Bill Arthur the Lennie Peters of commentating. Baz! He is carrying the pig skin. FFS we are not all set 7 Robs Lane.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I'm just waiting until Vuniyayawa plays for Leeds against us to see what comes out of his mouth then.

Banned

I sat in my office last night listening to that shite getting more and more annoyed. Half of their commentary doesn't even reflect the game, the amount of times Arthur went on about Hudds being the better team in the second half and making out like it was some outstanding comeback. It wasn't and they were never going to win that game, they improved and we made a couple of mistakes but that was it, so why call it different? All it does is wind up the paying fans (I didn't pay btw ) who know what they're talking about and impresses no one.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I sat in my office last night listening to that shite getting more and more annoyed. Half of their commentary doesn't even reflect the game, the amount of times Arthur went on about Hudds being the better team in the second half and making out like it was some outstanding comeback. It wasn't and they were never going to win that game, they improved and we made a couple of mistakes but that was it, so why call it different? All it does is wind up the paying fans (I didn't pay btw ) who know what they're talking about and impresses no one.
    This sums it up for me.

I listen to the commentary in case they see something I don't but most of the time it's like they're watching a different match and calling the game to fit a narrative. For us that usually means framing it as though the other team are still in the match not that we've taken our foot off the gas.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

I sat in silence watching Saints games on Sky. Commentary is woeful.

Got A Season Ticket

I muted it in the first five minutes after Bill Arthur mistook Mata'utia for Lomax.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LaVenRouge View Post
    I muted it in the first five minutes after Bill Arthur mistook Mata'utia for Lomax.
    And when he did get Mata’utia right more often than not called him Peter.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Didn't he call Matautia, Naiqama at one point too

In The South Stand

Carney has just used misused the word “stanza” in the Hull v Wakefield half time waffle. I thought that went with Stevo. They’re as bad as management consultants when it comes to abusing language.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Carney has just used misused the word “stanza” in the Hull v Wakefield half time waffle. I thought that went with Stevo. They’re as bad as management consultants when it comes to abusing language.
    At least Management Consultants are good at putting together a presentation. This lot just bumble the way through the whole show. I've never seen a TV program were presenters trip over their words and get things wrong as much as with SL on Sky. Though some of the recently retired players as guests are good.

Noooobie

'Didn't he call Matautia, Naiqama at one point too' - think it was Lomax he mistook for Matautia - they both wear headguards so it's impossible for him to tell the difference.

Baz's mouth doesn't work properly when he's commentating, he should see a doctor. He's ok in the studio though. Wasn't he the first person ever to get tasered in Wigan?

I used to love Clive Tyldesley's commentaries when he did all the Oldham Athletic games 30 years ago when Joe Royle was taking them to glory and they were knocking seven bells out of Div 1 teams in the cups. But on Sky his commentaries tend to fade away for a bit like he's nodding off, then he suddenly SHOUTS some random word to wake himself up.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughyedSaint View Post

Baz's mouth doesn't work properly when he's commentating, he should see a doctor. He's ok in the studio though. Wasn't he the first person ever to get tasered in Wigan?

It was outside the Cabaret club in Oldham where Baz got CS gassed and arrested, the first person in the UK, after an altercation with a Taxi driver..... the driver over said he kicked his door in on the car.

He never got charged though IIRC?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Got A Season Ticket

According to Sky, Warrington have now merged two of their players into "Greg Austin"