Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Sky Retro

Got A Season Ticket

Default Sky Retro

I’ve been watching the retro games of GB v The Aussies in front of packed out crowds and I’ve thought to myself WTF has happened to our great game so so sad

In The South Stand

I've enjoyed most of the SKY retro matches, some absolute classics. I've just watched the "Wide to West" entire match and it brought the memories flooding back. Reflecting upon it I realised how passionate Eddie and Stevo were regarding the sport. They were both hoarse after the game. I know that their time was over when they left, Stevo full of controversy and hyperbole and Eddie for some reason wanting to adopt Sam Tomkins, but their original love and passion for the game came through in their earlier commentaries. I compared their reaction to the "Wide to West" try and result to the SKY commentator's reaction to Jack Welsbys astonishing try to win us the 2020 Grand Final. There was not much passsion and to be honest he was more interested in getting/wanting the try disallowed "Was he offside?Ohh.................." "Where's his right foot?" rather than revelling in what was a truly astonishing moment in ANY sport.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Ive only caught the last few hours but its been good! The zoom call between Matt Elliot and Hemmings was good. We’re quick to post when SKY are crap. Its only fair we give credit when its due.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I've enjoyed most of the SKY retro matches, some absolute classics. I've just watched the "Wide to West" entire match and it brought the memories flooding back. Reflecting upon it I realised how passionate Eddie and Stevo were regarding the sport. They were both hoarse after the game. I know that their time was over when they left, Stevo full of controversy and hyperbole and Eddie for some reason wanting to adopt Sam Tomkins, but their original love and passion for the game came through in their earlier commentaries. I compared their reaction to the "Wide to West" try and result to the SKY commentator's reaction to Jack Welsbys astonishing try to win us the 2020 Grand Final. There was not much passsion and to be honest he was more interested in getting/wanting the try disallowed "Was he offside?Ohh.................." "Where's his right foot?" rather than revelling in what was a truly astonishing moment in ANY sport.
    As match commentators Eddie and Stevo were actually superb. Towards their last few years their opinions and bias began to detract from their ability to call the game properly. Still, would take them back in a heartbeat over the current shower of shite.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    As match commentators Eddie and Stevo were actually superb. Towards their last few years their opinions and bias began to detract from their ability to call the game properly. Still, would take them back in a heartbeat over the current shower of shite.
    Eddie was good at his job, definitely. Stevo went on ten years too long, IMO. It got to the point where his commentary bore so little relation to what was happening in the game that you could have replaced him with a device that played recordings of his catch phrases at random and nobody would have been able to tell the difference.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post

No doubt that Eddie & Stevo were great for years (even more so with hindsight, given what came after them ) but from about that 2008/2009 period they seemed to start to go downhill generally, and their antipathy towards Saints became embedded.

I used to think they both had a bit of a soft spot for us (Eddie especially), but in the later years for some unknown reason they lost any warmth towards us and seemed biased toward certain other teams. Their biased commentating in the 2014 GF and the sidelining of our great achievement (the story should have been of us triumphing with half the side missing/injured, including all the halfbacks) was a disgrace. The Genkul Beneh Floower love-in the following season and continuing fawning over the scum whilst almost ignoring that we were the SL Champions (and had won the LLS that year, too) was ridiculous.

Got A Season Ticket

2020 GF on now - nice appetiser for tonight's game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Eddie and Stevo weren’t the best, but a million times better than the current crop.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Jeez I thought I had fat cheeks , but compared to Inglis ? , nothing to worry about , I'll have to keep on getting my 'pastrys' from Rougues favourite shop = Galloway's in Billinge .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Too many clichés and to much of the Mutt and Jeff act. At regular points in the game you knew what they were going to say before opening their mouths. They just went on too long. Having said that, Eddie could commentate at the speed of the game without getting all the names mixed up, and Stevo was for the first few years very good with his insights. I would take those two with Carney has host, over any of the current crop.