Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Salford

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Solid performance for a 1st game of the season, especially given we only had one pre season hit out too. Defensively very strong again and continuing on from last year. Our discipline was awful though and with the ball I thought we were pretty average throughout.

We've got alot to work on with the ball and these type of games just highlight how key Coote is to our dynamic. We look a completely different side without him and only really have Lomax creating anything. Welsby looked lost at times and Fages whilst solid doesn't really offer anything more than that.

We'll improve as the season goes on though, so to win by 23 points against a decent team with two players missing and a further two going off early in the 2nd half is a good result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

For those who weren't impressed with our performance, did you watch the Pies.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    If that’s the case you have to bring someone in. You can’t lose Percy and just fill it with internal. If he’s gone game one get him off the cap and get someone in, this is getting stupid.
    Probably Mata'utia to replace Percy ?

In The South Stand

If that’s the case you have to bring someone in. You can’t lose Percy and just fill it with internal. If he’s gone game one get him off the cap and get someone in, this is getting stupid.
    As far as I know once someone has played a game then they can't be removed from the cap. Let's wait for the medical report before we right him off maybe? Simm in his place if he isn't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    The thing about Fages is that if you think about the old school half back who dominates the game and has a wide range of passing and kicking skills, he just isn’t that and never will be.

But those half backs barely exist in the game any more. Whether we like it or not, coaches usually give halves responsibility for a particular part of the field and have them play in a strict system. At Saints the duties of the old school half back are shared between three players, one of whom (arguably the most important) wasn’t playing tonight.

Fages will never be a Long or a Goulding but does a good job at what he’s asked to do.
    Good post mate .

Banned

Job done as far as I'm concerned. Some good points for me: Matty Lees was excellent, Thompson grew into the game after a slow start, Lomax looked good, general defence was good. Bentley, Walmsley and Roby standard. This will probably go against general opinion but I thought Welsby was generally ok barring his 2 mistakes although I still don't think he's a full back going forward. I also thought Fages had a reasonable game and I'm already getting sick of him getting slated on here.
    Not so good: Mata'uatia's first spell was awful although he improved, we were very limited going forward although I accept it's the first game of the season so no real issue. There was some strange penalties through the game although I thought Moore reffed it quite well and tried to let the game flow. Salford went out to spoil the game and then get it wide when we were disorganised, we're going to have to see a lot of that this season I think because there's very few teams going to match us in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    One question i have is if the tackler has a responsibility to make sure someone lands safe then doesn't that also apply to the tackled player ? Throwing Theo off like that surely must be an offence ?
    At first look I thought he had every right to throw Theo off but watching it again there was little need for what he did. It wasn't like Fages was on top of him, he just lifted him off his feet and threw him over his shoulder. Dangerous.

Can't complain with the performance. We were in total control from start to finish against a team that will pick up plenty wins this year. Matautia and Thompson are two top pros who will make us even harder to break down. Throw Knowles in as well alongside Bentley and well, good luck getting through that lot

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Rubbish, I’m afraid. Pauli leads with the arm. Should have been off if we want to take head injuries seriously. Union has that right. No doubt we’ll get there.
    100% right Dos it was the same scumball trick that did for Smith at Wire last season I think.If the defender did that it's a red all day long shoulder to the head.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post

Can't complain with the performance. We were in total control from start to finish against a team that will pick up plenty wins this year. Matautia and Thompson are two top pros who will make us even harder to break down. Throw Knowles in as well alongside Bentley and well, good luck getting through that lot
    Two tries disallowed that might have been given on another night and Thompson held up twice...... we crushed them really, no matter what Arthur and O’Connor said about it being close.....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Bit clunky on their line but aside from that, really pleased. If we had played for another 10 minutes, would have had 40 plus.

We compete for 80 minutes.

What's happened to Percival?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    No scrum half is killing us, every set near their line we look clueless and Lomax is carrying us on his back because Fages offers very little with the ball.
    Not yet one game in and find a scapegoat has started. When you support a team you support them all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Bit clunky on their line but aside from that, really pleased. If we had played for another 10 minutes, would have had 40 plus.

What's happened to Percival?
    Here you go mate.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2021/03/2...qBhUHwfdd8M28g

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    Not yet one game in and find a scapegoat has started. When you support a team you support them all.
    He's a knob, I wouldn't worry, no one actually takes his comments seriously.

FFS looked like he was getting spray on his leg. If he doesn’t get through this season in a reasonable way , it’s game over. It’s really hurting us now.
    Yeah. We would have won the Grand Final last year if he hadn’t been out injured.

No, wait?!??????????!!
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    100% right Dos it was the same scumball trick that did for Smith at Wire last season I think.If the defender did that it's a red all day long shoulder to the head.
    I thought at first Pauli had thrown a short elbow but after seeing a few times it was purely accidental for me and Passi totally got his head in the wrong place. It's unfortunate but these things happen and to be honest I'd hate to see any action taken against Pauli.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Thanks Dave. Hopefully nothing major then

I thought at first Pauli had thrown a short elbow but after seeing a few times it was purely accidental for me and Passi totally got his head in the wrong place. It's unfortunate but these things happen and to be honest I'd hate to see any action taken against Pauli.
    Maybe a few training drills picking loose balls. He doesn't excel at that

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Probably Mata'utia to replace Percy ?
    Doubt it, especially with Knowles out for a few weeks. Simm impressed covering for Percival last year so he’s the obvious choice for me though if Coote is back I wouldn’t be surprised to see Woolf go with Welsby there.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Aye, fingers crossed mate. If he's not right it wouldn't upset me seeing Simm although I think he needs to be targeting Naiqama's spot long term. He was a bag of nails last night.

Maybe a few training drills picking loose balls. He doesn't excel at that
    I'd imagine he needs someone to tie his laces in a morning it takes him that long to bend down.

That’s a pathetic display of loyalty to a player. I suppose you were one of those who called for Lomax to be cut when he injured his second ACL and Soliola when he was injured shortly after joining Saints. If the club was to adopt such an approach to injured players, I can’t believe there’d be many queueing to sign for us.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

If it's a knock I will be quite happy earlier I think Woolf said it was a tweak.

Overall not bad for a first game. I think all 3 new recruits looked OK, Thompson looked solid but doesn't seem like will replicate Zeb's linking up the left in attack. Matty Lees, probably his best game in a Saints shirt. Generally I think we have recruited well, and no matter what Rogues etc think, we are still the team to beat.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

No matter what rustiness we have in that first game, that trait of being a tough team will carry on this season. We just missed Coote's attacking options and relying on just the one player in Lomax to open things up, seem to rembember we only scored one try from a passing play (Grace) most of the trys from high kicks and the compulsory Walmsley power score.

Defence is still good, Salford only made around 3 significant breaks, bit dissapointed we didn't nil the Salford side. Thought our tempo pickrd up when Smith came on and like you say another 10 minutes and you could see a few tries coming into Saints favour.

Overall it was a good workout first game where our defence was tested, thought the ref was a bit generous with those restarts and penalties in that short period. Hopefully a more fluent attacking game next week.

I tend to agree. You see it a lot where the ball carrier turns his shoulder on impact to protect himself. You have to remember the ball carrier is charging towards 2/3 defenders who are all looking for the big shot. I’ve got no problem with this unless it’s a blatant shoulder charge from the ball carrier. You will always get the odd injuries just down to the impact of the collisions. I just think that Passi got is tackle wrong and his head ended up in the wrong place.

If it had been the other way round and Passi was the ball carrier I’d be pretty upset if he got a ban.

I don’t think Pauli promoted his shoulder at all, and certainly not in the way that Warrington’s Akuala has done in the past without disciplinary repercussions. I am slightly concerned that Lees may have to answer for his lower leg tackle on Mossop as the third defender.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I don’t think Pauli promoted his shoulder at all, and certainly not in the way that Warrington’s Akuala has done in the past without disciplinary repercussions. I am slightly concerned that Lees may have to answer for his lower leg tackle on Mossop as the third defender.
    I thought Lees had targeted the leg on 1st viewing but on the replays he slid down the leg to wrap them up and just so happened that at the same time the other defenders forced Mossop over to make it an awkward angle. Nothing in it for me.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.