JB&B Leach Banner
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 203

Thread: 21 man squad v Salford

  1. #26
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    4,919
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Yes he is plus Knowles & Lees at the end of next season. I imagine we’ll be looking to tie them all down long term but will depend on whether there is NRL interest.
    My frustration with that is the likes of Saints and Wigan getting dragged into a narrow recruitment market to replace NRL bound youngsters with the likes of two-pence ha'penny, shitbag clubs like Hull KR, Wakefield and serial offenders like Hull FC all of whom have a fairly appalling record of junior development. Its like Super League want Saints and Wigan to be fair game so they are dragged into looking at predominantly over the hill Aussies to replace the gaps in their roster after the next big thing leaves. The level that the salary cap level is fixed at is a disgrace; there is no defence for it.

  2. #27
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,665
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    My frustration with that is the likes of Saints and Wigan getting dragged into a narrow recruitment market to replace NRL bound youngsters with the likes of two-pence ha'penny, shitbag clubs like Hull KR, Wakefield and serial offenders like Hull FC all of whom have a fairly appalling record of junior development. Its like Super League want Saints and Wigan to be fair game so they are dragged into looking at predominantly over the hill Aussies to replace the gaps in their roster after the next big thing leaves. The level that the salary cap level is fixed at is a disgrace; there is no defence for it.
    This was something discussed in the state of the game thread. Both the salary cap dragging everyone down to the lowest common denominator and there being no real incentive for the lower clubs to invest in your own youth system. I agree with what you’re saying but on the other foot you also have the ability of Saints, Wigan, Leeds, Wire to pick off the best youngsters from other clubs either at youth levels or a couple of years into their career. Bentley being an example himself.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  3. #28
    Learning All The Songs Gerry Mander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Around the Ruck. Winning the Collision.
    Posts
    2,257
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    This was something discussed in the state of the game thread. Both the salary cap dragging everyone down to the lowest common denominator and there being no real incentive for the lower clubs to invest in your own youth system. I agree with what you’re saying but on the other foot you also have the ability of Saints, Wigan, Leeds, Wire to pick off the best youngsters from other clubs either at youth levels or a couple of years into their career. Bentley being an example himself.
    The Salary Cap is not dragging the game down.
    Double the cap for SL and only 3 or 4 teams would dip into it.
    Most clubs are running at a loss as it is.
    There is not enough money in the game and there are too many people with their nose in a limited trough.

    I would mandate / incentive youth development but be prepared for a Wigan/Leeds/Saints dominance for
    in the short term as a result.

  4. #29
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,656
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    The Salary Cap is not dragging the game down.
    Double the cap for SL and only 3 or 4 teams would dip into it.
    Most clubs are running at a loss as it is.
    There is not enough money in the game and there are too many people with their nose in a limited trough.

    I would mandate / incentive youth development but be prepared for a Wigan/Leeds/Saints dominance for
    in the short term as a result
    .
    We have that anyway, certainly in SL. Only those and the now-imploded Bratfud have won SL.

    A few small/minor clubs like Hull, Catalans and Warrington have lifted the CC, but when it comes to the SL crown, it's just those 3 clubs from the current SL.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  5. #30
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,656
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I'd add that ideally homegrown players should only count a max of £75k or £100k on the Cap. It would encourage clubs to invest in youth systems, and reward the clubs that do this.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  6. #31
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,998
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    The Salary Cap is not dragging the game down.
    Double the cap for SL and only 3 or 4 teams would dip into it.
    Maybe so, but only those 3 or 4 teams compete for the title most years as it is, so wouldn't it maybe be better if those 3 or 4 teams had better players and were better sides playing higher quality RL when they meet each other in the biggest regular season games and then again and in the play-offs?

  7. #32
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,853
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Not sure how to take that haha
    AD didn't abuse you so it must be a compliment.

  8. #33
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,853
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'd add that ideally homegrown players should only count a max of £75k or £100k on the Cap. It would encourage clubs to invest in youth systems, and reward the clubs that do this.
    I think your principle is correct but, IMO homegrown players should count much less than you are suggesting, many of them probably don't earn 100k. I would go with 50% of salary. That might force others into player development.

  9. #34
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,482
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    It's difficult to predict the side without knowing how many of Coote, Grace and Lees are fit.

    Assuming everyone is available I would guess at:

    Coote, Makinson, Naiqama, Percival, Grace, Lomax, Fages, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Bentley, Thompson, Matautia
    SUBS: Welsby, Paasi, LMS, Amor

    That leaves out: Batchelor, Dodd, Simm, Smith
    Expecting this, providing Coote is fit.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  10. #35
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,656
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think your principle is correct but, IMO homegrown players should count much less than you are suggesting, many of them probably don't earn 100k. I would go with 50% of salary. That might force others into player development.
    Yeah, fair point.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  11. #36
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    4,182
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    AD didn't abuse you so it must be a compliment.
    What are you trying to say?

    Lots of sense being posted in this thread btw.

  12. #37
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    under the laughing tree
    Posts
    1,119
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I hope our kicking game improves, it was poor a lot of the time last season.

  13. #38
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    10,924
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Im really looking forward to seeing how the new signings go, I'm hoping Matautia will be a real attacking threat.


    Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

  14. #39
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,165
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I hope our kicking game improves, it was poor a lot of the time last season.
    I expect we'll see more of Dodd this year, so hopefully that will improve...But we MUST give this kid some time to develop, and not be on his back the first time he messes it up.

  15. #40
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,853
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    What are you trying to say?

    Lots of sense being posted in this thread btw.
    Maybe my sense of humour went over your head.

  16. #41
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    326
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'd add that ideally homegrown players should only count a max of £75k or £100k on the Cap. It would encourage clubs to invest in youth systems, and reward the clubs that do this.
    Absolutely right

  17. #42
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Chiang Rai Thailand
    Posts
    743
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Made up S/L is starting . Sick to death of the overrated & criminally overpaid P/L .
    For me we have no one better than Theo Fages

  18. #43
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    4,182
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Made up S/L is starting . Sick to death of the overrated & criminally overpaid P/L .
    For me we have no one better than Theo Fages
    What? Are you sure?

  19. #44
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    584
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Expecting this, providing Coote is fit.
    Sadly I think he's missing which is why I feel Jack will be FB. Of course KW might have another option for that position.

  20. #45
    really is sorry Reacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wigan
    Age
    46
    Posts
    11,200
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    Sadly I think he's missing which is why I feel Jack will be FB. Of course KW might have another option for that position.
    I've heard this too. And also Naiqama.

  21. #46
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Age
    33
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I know it was only a friendly but Fiji Kev was doing some time on the wing and Tommy was at FB for abit too. I don't think he'll go with that but it just shows the amount of options we have

    Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

  22. #47
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,665
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EddieVonEagle View Post
    I know it was only a friendly but Fiji Kev was doing some time on the wing and Tommy was at FB for abit too. I don't think he'll go with that but it just shows the amount of options we have

    Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Yes I think Makinson is 3rd option at full back behind Coote and Welsby with Naiqama as wing back up and Welsby/Simm to cover centres. Welsby, Simm and Dodd will challenge our 1st choice backline this season for game time so hopefully it’ll inspire the incumbents to play their best as well.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  23. #48
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,656
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I've heard this too. And also Naiqama.

    I just hope that when we have injuries, Woolf plays direct replacements wherever possible. So if Naiqama or Percival are out, Simm comes in. Similarly if Lomax or Fages are missing, Dodd is brought into the side.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  24. #49
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,107
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    If all of this is true then we are probably looking at:

    Welsby
    Makinson
    Simm
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Lees
    Bentley
    Thompson
    Matautia

    Smith
    Paasi
    Amor
    LMS
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  25. #50
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    533
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Still a very good team without coote and kev

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •