Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Salford

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    FFS. Surely not?
    They strapped the top of his thigh or groin not long after he scored

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

First game of the season so a win's a win. Need to sort the discipline but plenty of good signs there and didn't really look like we'd got out of second gear which bodes well.

Not surprising to see the usual suspect straight on here with the whining. Weapon.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

That was a good win. We were a little clunky in attack (probably a combination of week 1 and no Coote) but physically really tough and well organised in defence.

Of the new guys I really liked the look of Thompson. I thought Matautia struggled in his first stint but looked more comfortable in his second. Paasi looks like he’ll be a good addition - hopefully he’s alright.

Matty Lees looked great, I thought. Him and Bentley both look bigger.

Great to have Percy back.

I actually thought Mata’utia looked really good in the first half and had him for MOM.
    Agree on Lees and Bentley.

Good performance and was impressed by both teams considering it was the first game of the season.

Lomax best on the pitch.

Edit: I was also impressed by Amor

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

FFS. Surely not?
    If that’s the case you have to bring someone in. You can’t lose Percy and just fill it with internal. If he’s gone game one get him off the cap and get someone in, this is getting stupid.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

FFS. Surely not?
    Woolf- we’ll have him back out there soon.

Indicates he is injured, because ‘soon’ to me means a few weeks and not exactly that he’s fine and will be ready next week.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I know Lomax got man of the match but Matty Lees must have run him close, he did a large amount of work in both attack and defence. Looks as though he has put a few kgs on in weight and got momentum on every carry.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    First game of the season so a win's a win. Need to sort the discipline but plenty of good signs there and didn't really look like we'd got out of second gear which bodes well.

Not surprising to see the usual suspect straight on here with the whining. Weapon.
    Exactly theres a few on here who need to give there head a wobble it's the 1st game FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    I actually thought Mata’utia looked really good in the first half and had him for MOM.

Good performance and was impressed by both teams considering it was the first game of the season.

Lomax best on the pitch.

Edit: I was also impressed by Amor
    I may have got the wrong impression. I thought he was our best player in the friendly against Leigh.

Agree in Amor.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post

Have to agree re Matautia, he seemed to be everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I know Lomax got man of the match but Matty Lees must have run him close, he did a large amount of work in both attack and defence. Looks as though he has put a few kgs on in weight and got momentum on every carry.
    Really encouraging performance from Lees.

I really hope for Percy it isn't another hamstring problem, that would be a huge blow mentally for the lad and it was great to have him back in the team with his usual energy, graft and skill.

Thought Leesy went really well, put some great effort in, in D.

Really impressed with Mata'utai, looked to make yards everytime he had the ball and was always getting the other side of his tacklers.

Got A Season Ticket

Good hard game. Some solid performances particularly from Lees, Thompson and Lomax. Hopefully Percy is ok , we are a better side with him in it.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Sione impressed me. Makinson was his usual best. Lees, Walmsley and Amor played well. Thompson was solid too.

Re percy, Woolfe reckons he'll be fine

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post

Another who can’t read. Miss the bit where I said ‘decent win’?

Learning All The Songs

Just put the pies game on. Ben thaler weight is embarassing. He had all winter to shed those pounds.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    Just put the pies game on. Ben thaler weight is embarassing. He had all winter to shed those pounds.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    Thought the same. Those shiny pink refs tops don’t help so maybe his winter t shirts had given him a false sense of confidence, but it’s not a good look for our first prime time Fri night game to have a ref with a gut.

In The South Stand

Game 1. Cold blustery night. Paasi going off limited our subs. Some good scrambling defence. A bit rusty as every team will be. All in all I will take a win with that score every day.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    It’s almost as if Fages has played near enough every game for the last 2 years. I’m hardly writing him off after 1 game for the club.
    Let's look at it this way. Recent grand final wins with Fages not at 7.. 0. Recent grand final wins with Fages at 7..2. It works,the team is geared to play a certain way.

Banned

Solid start, defence looked decent. Attack was clunky and we lost our way at times but it’s only game one and we still won by 20+ points.

The new lads slotted in well and looked like they’d been part of the team a while.

We’re still the team to beat and we’ll be a different animal with Coote and knowles back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Let's look at it this way. Recent grand final wins with Fages not at 7.. 0. Recent grand final wins with Fages at 7..2. It works,the team is geared to play a certain way.
    Grand final wins at 7: Mark Flanagan 1
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

The thing about Fages is that if you think about the old school half back who dominates the game and has a wide range of passing and kicking skills, he just isn’t that and never will be.

But those half backs barely exist in the game any more. Whether we like it or not, coaches usually give halves responsibility for a particular part of the field and have them play in a strict system. At Saints the duties of the old school half back are shared between three players, one of whom (arguably the most important) wasn’t playing tonight.

Fages will never be a Long or a Goulding but does a good job at what he’s asked to do.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Solid start, defence looked decent. Attack was clunky and we lost our way at times but it’s only game one and we still won by 20+ points.

The new lads slotted in well and looked like they’d been part of the team a while.

We’re still the team to beat and we’ll be a different animal with Coote and knowles back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sums it up.

In The South Stand

One question i have is if the tackler has a responsibility to make sure someone lands safe then doesn't that also apply to the tackled player ? Throwing Theo off like that surely must be an offence ?

In The South Stand

Thought we were very good by round one standards. Few issues but there are at this stage every year. Considering we were missing two of our served us well and debuted three, we were very good, I thought. The middles were very good and lay the platform for us.

Thought Fages was decent. We know he’s not the most expansive seven in the game but his defensive work is excellent. His kicking game hasn’t always been great but his kicking was very good tonight.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    One question i have is if the tackler has a responsibility to make sure someone lands safe then doesn't that also apply to the tackled player ? Throwing Theo off like that surely must be an offence ?
    I said exactly the same to my dad but he insisted Fage was at fault for messing about at the play the ball.