Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Salford

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 21 man squad v Salford

Oh it feels good to be doing one of these again!

The 21 man squad is as follows:

1, Lachlan Coote, 2, Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Jonny Lomax, 7. Theo Fages, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Matty Lees, 11. Joel Thompson, 12, James Bentley, 14. Sione Mata’utia, 15. LMS, 16. Kyle Amor, 17. Agnatius Paasi, 18. Jack Welsby, 19. Aaron Smith, 20, Joe Batchelor, 21. Lewis Dodd, 22, Josh Simm.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2021/03/2...season-opener/
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

It's difficult to predict the side without knowing how many of Coote, Grace and Lees are fit.

Assuming everyone is available I would guess at:

Coote, Makinson, Naiqama, Percival, Grace, Lomax, Fages, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Bentley, Thompson, Matautia
    SUBS: Welsby, Paasi, LMS, Amor

That leaves out: Batchelor, Dodd, Simm, Smith

Learning All The Songs

Knowles out for a few weeks

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    It's difficult to predict the side without knowing how many of Coote, Grace and Lees are fit.

Assuming everyone is available I would guess at:

Coote, Makinson, Naiqama, Percival, Grace, Lomax, Fages, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Bentley, Thompson, Matautia
    SUBS: Welsby, Paasi, LMS, Amor

That leaves out: Batchelor, Dodd, Simm, Smith
    I think the 1st XIII picks itself. Paasi obviously gets a bench spot but I’d only pick one of Amor/LMS and then Batchelor, got to give him game time this year to find out what he’s made of. The 4th spot I think depends on injuries. Roby went off early in the friendly so Smith might grab it if he’s not 100%. Likewise Welsby could cover Coote/Grace. Depends on fitness but I’d likely go Welsby, Paasi, LMS, Batchelor
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

I’d heard earlier in the week that Coote was still out but he’s in the squad. Think Welsby would step in if I hired.

Banned

Knowles being out ruins the first 1-13 numbering in a squad for a long while.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Knowles out for ‘a number of weeks’ - issues with the surgery on his thumb.
    Big loss to the team, he makes such a difference to the speed and intensity we play at both in attack and defence.

It’s a good chance for Mata’utia to stake a claim for a starting spot.

If Smith doesn’t get regular appearances off the bench this year I think that’s him out of the picture long term.
    Last edited by reliable sauce; 24th March 2021 at 12:40.

Picks itself if you ask me:

1, Lachlan Coote,
    2, Tommy Makinson,
    3. Kevin Naiqama,
    4. Mark Percival,
    5. Regan Grace,

6. Jonny Lomax,
    7. Theo Fages,

8. Alex Walmsley,
    9. James Roby,
    10. Matty Lees,
    11. Joel Thompson,
    12, James Bentley,
    14. Sione Mata’utia,

15. LMS,
    16. Kyle Amor,
    17. Agnatius Paasi,
    19. Aaron Smith,

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Picks itself if you ask me:

1, Lachlan Coote,
    2, Tommy Makinson,
    3. Kevin Naiqama,
    4. Mark Percival,
    5. Regan Grace,

6. Jonny Lomax,
    7. Theo Fages,

8. Alex Walmsley,
    9. James Roby,
    10. Matty Lees,
    11. Joel Thompson,
    12, James Bentley,
    14. Sione Mata’utia,

15. LMS,
    16. Kyle Amor,
    17. Agnatius Paasi,
    19. Aaron Smith,
    This

I rate smith and think he is our 9 when roby retires. Roby wont be and 80 min player this year so we will need a hooker on the bench

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    This

I rate smith and think he is our 9 when roby retires. Roby wont be and 80 min player this year so we will need a hooker on the bench
    Plus Knowles is used as a stand-in hooker and won't be there, so Smith on the bench makes more sense than having Welsby there

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Plus Knowles is used as a stand-in hooker and won't be there, so Smith on the bench makes more sense than having Welsby there
    I agree with this, I am just going for what I think Woolf will select. I just can't see Welsby missing out on the 17 altogether.

Banned

I agree with this, I am just going for what I think Woolf will select. I just can't see Welsby missing out on the 17 altogether.
    Why's that? I know his try won us the title but he didn't do a great deal else last season. Admittedly he improved as the season went on.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Why's that? I know his try won us the title but he didn't do a great deal else last season. Admittedly he improved as the season went on.
    Again, I am going off what I think Woolf will do. Personally he wouldn't be in my 17. I just have a hunch, partly based on how many times Woolf has mentioned Welsby during pre-season, that he will be involved on Friday. Whether that's down to sentiment or some sort of loyalty I don't know, I would just be surprised if he wasn't involved.

If it was up to me I would start Dodd at 7 and have Fages on the bench instead but that's a different story........

EDIT: Just found this I posted about Welsby last month for what it's worth....

Welsby is an excellent option to cover 1-5 at the moment. However I think Simm is a better centre though and if either half-back gets injured then Dodd should be played. I know the GF try gets us all nostalgic but it's a new season now and that one try shouldn't muddy the water in terms of selection for this season. Welsby is in a very strong battle just to make the 17 at the minute; there's probably 6 realistically fighting for 2 bench spots. LMS, Amor, Smith, Eaves, Dodd and Welsby. (I'm assuming Matautia and one of Paasi or Lees will be on the bench more often than not).

It won't do him any harm covering various positions for now. Let's not forget he's just 19; to put some context on it James Roby played on the wing at the same age in a game away at London, as well as playing 6,7,9 and 13 during that same 2005 season. So there's no rush to move someone aside for Welsby, nor should there be any panic about him not finding his long-term position yet.

Coote, Naiqama and Fages are all OOC this year. I'm sure Welsby, Simm and Dodd will be looking on with interest at those negotiations.......

Banned

Again, I am going off what I think Woolf will do. Personally he wouldn't be in my 17. I just have a hunch, partly based on how many times Woolf has mentioned Welsby during pre-season, that he will be involved on Friday. Whether that's down to sentiment or some sort of loyalty I don't know, I would just be surprised if he wasn't involved.

If it was up to me I would start Dodd at 7 and have Fages on the bench instead but that's a different story........

EDIT: Just found this I posted about Welsby last month for what it's worth....

Welsby is an excellent option to cover 1-5 at the moment. However I think Simm is a better centre though and if either half-back gets injured then Dodd should be played. I know the GF try gets us all nostalgic but it's a new season now and that one try shouldn't muddy the water in terms of selection for this season. Welsby is in a very strong battle just to make the 17 at the minute; there's probably 6 realistically fighting for 2 bench spots. LMS, Amor, Smith, Eaves, Dodd and Welsby. (I'm assuming Matautia and one of Paasi or Lees will be on the bench more often than not).

It won't do him any harm covering various positions for now. Let's not forget he's just 19; to put some context on it James Roby played on the wing at the same age in a game away at London, as well as playing 6,7,9 and 13 during that same 2005 season. So there's no rush to move someone aside for Welsby, nor should there be any panic about him not finding his long-term position yet.

Coote, Naiqama and Fages are all OOC this year. I'm sure Welsby, Simm and Dodd will be looking on with interest at those negotiations.......
    Much better answer than I was expecting.

Going a little bit with what you’ve posted below maybe Welsby/Dodd can get more game time this year off the bench with Fages covering hooker. Honestly after this coming season with Dodd coming through I don’t see where Fages future lies at the club if not at hooker, at least for a couple of seasons until Lomax calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Much better answer than I was expecting.
    Not sure how to take that haha

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Going a little bit with what you’ve posted below maybe Welsby/Dodd can get more game time this year off the bench with Fages covering hooker. Honestly after this coming season with Dodd coming through I don’t see where Fages future lies at the club if not at hooker, at least for a couple of seasons until Lomax calls it a day.
    He's OOC this year, as are Roby and Coote. Lot's of ifs and buts in terms our potential 1,7,9 combo for next season. I posted a while back about it and there was over 10 realistic combinations depending who stays and goes.

Starting A Programme Collection

Welsby full back. Without moving the squad around who else will play there? Coote is our General so Friday will be a real test.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I reckon Roby has another year left in him after this. This year we need to give Dodd more game time, rest Roby in easier games and try Fages and Smith at hooker. I also like the look of Eaves. He looks like a proper hooker to me from what little ive seen of him. I do like Fages. Ive defended him plenty in the past but it may be best to move him on and free up some cap space. Dodd will prove to be a better 7 than Fages. If Fages stays he needs to prove he is a better hooker than those 2 and worth the decent money i imagine he gets paid.

Another option is Coote retires, Lomax to fullback and Fages to 6 but im not too keen on that combination personally.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quite a few people seem to think there’s no Coote this week.

In which case it’ll be straightforward Welsby to 1 and Smith on the bench I assume.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    This

I think he will when required. He will have to be managed to get maximum impact bit I can see him playing. 80 in the big games

I think we should be having a chat about Bentley amongst all this. Isn’t he off contract at the end of this year? He is one of the best second rowers in the league.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I think we should be having a chat about Bentley amongst all this. Isn’t he off contract at the end of this year? He is one of the best second rowers in the league.
    Bentley wants to play in the NRL and your right he is off contract this year. We will do well to keep him imo.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Yes he is plus Knowles & Lees at the end of next season. I imagine we’ll be looking to tie them all down long term but will depend on whether there is NRL interest.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Yes he is plus Knowles & Lees at the end of next season. I imagine we’ll be looking to tie them all down long term but will depend on whether there is NRL interest.
    Its testament to our recruitment that we have so many youngsters in demand. Knowles was quieter last year than 2019 but he would walk into any super league team. Lees has plenty potential but the stomach injury knocked him back a bit.