Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: England v ‘Exiles’ returns

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Default England v ‘Exiles’ returns

Friday 25th June at the Halliwell Jones in a double header with the women’s team. Exiles will be known as the Combined Nations All Stars as players from the other home nations, France, etc will all be considered for selection. Hopefully all goes well in the easing of restrictions so we can have a crowd for the games, first 4000 tickets are on sale now.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2021/03/1...IydAljk8orzQYU
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Do we really need to be playing a trial game in the middle of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Not in my opinion. Especially when you won’t have the NRL players and there’s a full round of SL fixtures that weekend anyway. They’ll have to put limits on how many can be picked from each side but we could end of with half a team out against a Hull KR side missing no-one.

In The South Stand

It’s poorly planned and executed from both Super League and the RFL. Super League have backloaded a load of fixtures, the first twelve rounds are completed over 98 days and then the remaining thirteen rounds are completed in seventy-seven days with the hope that fans can return and The RFL have planned this game around the same time, again with the hope they can get people in. It’s a couple of weeks out from the Challenge Cup Final and just before a period of three rounds in eleven days. Somewhere, there’s been a breakdown in communication between The RFL and Super League because there’s some poor planning from someone somewhere.

I’ve no problem with an International weekend. I think England need to play more games as it is. The lack of games is probably why I’m not really bothered by them and don’t really follow or support them and couldn’t care less what the results are. Their infrequent schedule makes following them impossible. That said, I can’t get behind an exhibition game, which is effectively what this is. I’d much rather see them attempt to build something meaningful in the northern hemisphere, in the same way Australia and the NRL have started getting behind the “lesser nations” down there. The improvements in Fiji, Tonga and PNG is now clear to see whereas we’re due to play a friendly against some blokes who happen to be living and playing here. I’d rather we attempt to grow something meaningful with France, otherwise what really is the point of Catalans or Toulouse?
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    It’s poorly planned and executed from both Super League and the RFL. Super League have backloaded a load of fixtures, the first twelve rounds are completed over 98 days and then the remaining thirteen rounds are completed in seventy-seven days with the hope that fans can return and The RFL have planned this game around the same time, again with the hope they can get people in. It’s a couple of weeks out from the Challenge Cup Final and just before a period of three rounds in eleven days. Somewhere, there’s been a breakdown in communication between The RFL and Super League because there’s some poor planning from someone somewhere.

I’ve no problem with an International weekend. I think England need to play more games as it is. The lack of games is probably why I’m not really bothered by them and don’t really follow or support them and couldn’t care less what the results are. Their infrequent schedule makes following them impossible. That said, I can’t get behind an exhibition game, which is effectively what this is. I’d much rather see them attempt to build something meaningful in the northern hemisphere, in the same way Australia and the NRL have started getting behind the “lesser nations” down there. The improvements in Fiji, Tonga and PNG is now clear to see whereas we’re due to play a friendly against some blokes who happen to be living and playing here. I’d rather we attempt to grow something meaningful with France, otherwise what really is the point of Catalans or Toulouse?
    Probably the least surprising thing you'll see on here this week.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

It's a World Cup year, so yes.

Unfortunately the clubs wanted a 25 game season instead of a 23 games season in the hope of fans being back in at some stage, but ultimately it could come at the expense of the England team in the World Cup. It's typical short term thinking from Rugby League in this country in general and rather than looking at the bigger picture the clubs and the RFL have agreed on a 25 games season and placed this game during a very busy spell and just before a Cup Final.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    It's a World Cup year, so yes.

Unfortunately the clubs wanted a 25 game season instead of a 23 games season in the hope of fans being back in at some stage, but ultimately it could come at the expense of the England team in the World Cup. It's typical short term thinking from Rugby League in this country in general and rather than looking at the bigger picture the clubs and the RFL have agreed on a 25 games season and placed this game during a very busy spell and just before a Cup Final.
    I think that’s harsh. In an ideal world, yes, clubs would have dropped to 23 games but we’re not the richest sport and amidst a pandemic, clubs will need as many games as they can get. I think 25 is roughly about right at the minute but international games, as much as I don’t really like the idea behind this, need a dedicated weekend with no Super League games.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I think that’s harsh. In an ideal world, yes, clubs would have dropped to 23 games but we’re not the richest sport and amidst a pandemic, clubs will need as many games as they can get. I think 25 is roughly about right at the minute but international games, as much as I don’t really like the idea behind this, need a dedicated weekend with no Super League games.
    One extra home game won't make a massive difference financially to clubs especially if it is limited capacity. England winning the World Cup could change the whole landscape of the way RL is looked at in this country. Financially that would make much bigger gains than the clubs having an extra game.

A 25 games squeezed into a shortened season when Covid is still around (potential postponements still a possibility) and when we're in a World Cup year is crazy and short sighted by the clubs in my view. But that's always been the problem with RL in general, the focus has always been on club rugby with International rugby being 2nd fiddle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

One extra home game won't make a massive difference financially to clubs especially if it is limited capacity. England winning the World Cup could change the whole landscape of the way RL is looked at in this country. Financially that would make much bigger gains than the clubs having an extra game.

A 25 games squeezed into a shortened season when Covid is still around (potential postponements still a possibility) and when we're in a World Cup year is crazy and short sighted by the clubs in my view. But that's always been the problem with RL in general, the focus has always been on club rugby with International rugby being 2nd fiddle.
    I'll always be club over country. I wouldn't care if England lost every world cup game if Saints won the double.

In The South Stand

England winning the World Cup would change nothing. I’m absolutely certain of it and even if they did win it, it would be by accident and not by design. The RFL have been chaotic and spent much of the past four years doing nothing and even playing as a different entity. For that reason, I don’t think they deserve to win the tournament. If they did, there’s no way Rugby League would do anything other than miss a tap in when it comes to capitalising on it.

One extra game with fans makes a big difference. 25 games also means a smaller change to the Sky contract than 23 games (especially down from 27/28 in 2019 to 23) and means more money retained in the game.

There was no way the sport was ever seriously considering 23 games. It would have been too much of a drop.

In The South Stand

I'll always be club over country. I wouldn't care if England lost every world cup game if Saints won the double.
    I couldn’t care less about England. I think it’s partially down to how infrequent their games are. If they played more, I’d take more notice I think but they’re run abysmally by The RFL. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited for the World Cup and would have gone to an Ashes game last year but I’d go as a Rugby League fan, not an England fan. The “three-peat” trumps anything England could do for me.

Banned

I couldn’t care less about England. I think it’s partially down to how infrequent their games are. If they played more, I’d take more notice I think but they’re run abysmally by The RFL. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited for the World Cup and would have gone to an Ashes game last year but I’d go as a Rugby League fan, not an England fan. The “three-peat” trumps anything England could do for me.
    I'm the same with football. I don't want England to lose but I don't spend all season cheering on players from other teams either.

I'm the same with football. I don't want England to lose but I don't spend all season cheering on players from other teams either.
    I'm not interested in England football whatsoever. I'd go as far to say I'd rather Utd win a throw in than England win a tournament.

As for England RL, I have a different stance. I really want them to do well. I'm not sure why that is to be honest.

I don't care much for England RU but love watching the Lions tours

Starting A Programme Collection HoofeHearted's Avatar

Shaun Wane has it all under control.
    https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport...gland-fixture/
    Phil Vievers...Balls...Joan Collins...Try...Orgasmic... RH the living legend.

I do care about England, and I’d love to win the World Cup for better exposure, I’d love stuff it to the RU fans who are still dining out on 2003 but ultimately, your last line is bang on. Winning the World Cup would be the icing on the cake but St Helens going 3 in a row would be like ANOTHER cake, bigger, with MORE icing, served to me on a Yacht in the Caribbean by Jennifer Aniston in a Saints shirt!
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I do care about England, and I’d love to win the World Cup for better exposure, I’d love stuff it to the RU fans who are still dining out on 2003 but ultimately, your last line is bang on. Winning the World Cup would be the icing on the cake but St Helens going 3 in a row would be like ANOTHER cake, bigger, with MORE icing, served to me on a Yacht in the Caribbean by Jennifer Aniston in a Saints shirt!
    There’s no way on earth The RFL would capitalise on a World Cup win in anywhere near the same way as RU did in ‘03.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Out of pure boredom I have selected an ‘All Stars’ starting line up followed by reserves.
    There’s certainly some quality there.

Only concern would be having so many Saints players selected.

1. Coote
    2. Inu
    3. Whare
    4. Hurrell
    5. Grace
    6. Maloney
    7. Seizer
    8. Prior
    9. McIlorum
    10. Tetevano
    11. Thompson
    12. Bentley
    13. Tanginoa

Inglis (who knows), Matau’tia, Fifita, French, Evalds, Dudson, Sims, LMS, Paasi, McQueen, Naiqama, Leutele, Reynolds, Takairangi, Fages, Yaha, Parcell, Yates, Tuimavae, Isa, Fonua, Leuluai

If Saints have so many selected Sheens could opt for French or Evalds over Coote and Takairangi/McQueen over Thompson/Bentley but then again why would he if it was the best team?
    Last edited by reliable sauce; 19th March 2021 at 11:34.

Unless there is a significant cash reward for playing, I can’t really see any reason why a player would want to turn out for a meaningless Exiles side. I can’t imagine the RFL would be able to sanction anyone who refused but if they could I’d expect there to be several medical certificates declaring short term injuries to key players at clubs challenging for trophies.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Eastmond ?.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Out of pure boredom I have selected an ‘All Stars’ starting line up followed by reserves.
    There’s certainly some quality there.

Only concern would be having so many Saints players selected.

1. Coote
    2. Inu
    3. Whare
    4. Hurrell
    5. Grace
    6. Maloney
    7. Seizer
    8. Prior
    9. McIlorum
    10. Tetevano
    11. Thompson
    12. Bentley
    13. Tanginoa

Inglis (who knows), Matau’tia, Fifita, French, Evalds, Dudson, Sims, LMS, Paasi, McQueen, Naiqama, Leutele, Reynolds, Takairangi, Fages, Yaha, Parcell, Yates, Tuimavae, Isa, Fonua, Leuluai

If Saints have so many selected Sheens could opt for French or Evalds over Coote and Takairangi/McQueen over Thompson/Bentley but then again why would he if it was the best team?
    There have been player limits from clubs before, seem to remember it being 2 per club before which is as many as it should be for me. Not sure on the likes of Hastings/Austin whether they are going to continue representing England so avoided them. Knowles and Bentley I'm assuming will be representing England going forwards rather than Wales/Ireland. With that in mind I've gone for the following 19 man squad with a max of 2 and minimum of 1 from each club:

1. Bevan French (Wigan)
    2. Fouad Yaha (Catalan)
    3. Greg Inglis (Warrington)
    4. Konrad Hurrell (Leeds)
    5. Mahe Fonua (Hull FC)
    6. James Maloney (Catalan)
    7. Aidan Sezer (Huddersfield)
    8. David Fifita (Wakefield)
    9. Matt Parcell (Hull KR)
    10. Matt Prior (Leeds)
    11. Joel Thompson (St. Helens)
    12. Pauli Pauli (Salford)
    13. Sione Mata'utia (St. Helens)

14. Thomas Leuluai (Wigan)
    15. Grant Millington (Castleford)
    16. Korbin Sims (Hull KR)
    17. Manu Ma'u (Hull FC)

18. Ryan Brierley (Leigh)
    19. Kelepi Tanginoa (Wakefield)

With Makinson, Percival, Lomax, Walmsley, Roby, Knowles and possibly Bentley in line for the England squad we could be absolutely decimated by this fixture.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Unless there is a significant cash reward for playing, I can’t really see any reason why a player would want to turn out for a meaningless Exiles side. I can’t imagine the RFL would be able to sanction anyone who refused but if they could I’d expect there to be several medical certificates declaring short term injuries to key players at clubs challenging for trophies.
    Some clubs may not be happy, but I think players would be happy to selected for any representative side.

Banned

I suppose it's one of those situations where the small teams will say "suck it up buttercup". If we didn't have a good team it wouldn't be an issue, I just hope it's managed sensibly from both sides.

Banned

Ok, it's a provisional squad - but Wane's made some odd picks.

Sarginson? FFS. Josh Griffin from Hull is very ordinary. And Watkins is washed-up.

Who is Herbie Farnworth???

No Jake Connor.

Has Chris Hill retired from international rugby? Cos he's not in, either. Good.

We've got Makinson, Percival, Lomax, Roby, Walmsley, Knowles.

I think England can put together a decent 17, but there's a fall-away in quality in a few positions after that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/56647482

In The South Stand

Wane trusts and likes Sarginson, I expected him in there despite him being absolutely terrible. It baffles me that he keeps getting contract after contract. Expected Farnworth too, I think that’s purely because he plays in the NRL. I’ve not seen him stand out there. I appreciate he’s playing in a poor team but I barely notice him.

No Jake Connor is a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Ok, it's a provisional squad - but Wane's made some odd picks.

Sarginson? FFS. Josh Griffin from Hull is very ordinary. And Watkins is washed-up.

Who is Herbie Farnworth???

No Jake Connor.

Has Chris Hill retired from international rugby? Cos he's not in, either. Good.

We've got Makinson, Percival, Lomax, Roby, Walmsley, Knowles.

I think England can put together a decent 17, but there's a fall-away in quality in a few positions after that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/56647482
    The squad announced including NRL and injured players for a one day meet up 200 days before the World Cup opener is nothing more than a publicity stunt.

Farnworth has been playing well in a poor Brisbane side and had a good season last year as well. Can play both sides of the pitch at centre as well which could be useful with Percival and Gildart both injury prone.