Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Wilkin commentary -

Got A Replica Shirt

Default John Wilkin commentary -

What a waste of time having John Wilkin commentate - all he wanted to do was talk about himself - only once mentioned one of the players Jack Welsby - I hope he didnt get paid for that! utter crap

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by kimmysaint View Post
    What a waste of time having John Wilkin commentate - all he wanted to do was talk about himself - only once mentioned one of the players Jack Welsby - I hope he didnt get paid for that! utter crap
    My sentiments entirely, more like the John Wilkin show. The guy is star struck.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I was thinking the same. All i got from his commentary was something about his mam and dad, and him scoring X amount of tries.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

He has a very high opinion of himself. The more I hear from him, I think he's far less interested in RL & more interested in his own promotion

Sadly, I have to concur. I’ve enjoyed his punditry when alongside a commentator when he is reined in. If George Riley was the commentator then he shouldn’t be paid because he didn’t commentate.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Commentary, what commentary. For a guy who comes across as quite knowledgeable when Saints aren't involved, his involvement was embarrassing.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Felt sorry for Makinson not able to get a crowd in for the game and he must be cringing at Wilkins egoistic commentary when he watched the game back. Hopefully that Riley-Wilknin pairing is the first and last.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Wilkin commentated as if he was the guest speaker at a club dinner where everyone was already ••••ed.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

It was two blokes sat in a pub stuff regaling old stories and nothing more. I’m not keen on George Riley as it is, I don’t think Rugby League should be working with him.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Wilkin commentated as if he was the guest speaker at a club dinner where everyone was already ••••ed.

Seems strange to me that as he's always come across well on TV and was always pretty quiet when I've met him in person, although you can tell he fancies himself a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post

Seems strange to me that as he's always come across well on TV and was always pretty quiet when I've met him in person, although you can tell he fancies himself a bit.
    I think if he was on Sky or BBC he’d have commentated completely differently but knowing that the only people watching would be Saints/Leigh fans and current/ex players he dicked around a bit. Would still take him and Riley over any of the current Sky shite.

I think if he was on Sky or BBC he’d have commentated completely differently but knowing that the only people watching would be Saints/Leigh fans and current/ex players he dicked around a bit. Would still take him and Riley over any of the current Sky shite.
    The sad predicament we are in in terms of commentary. i just can’t listen to Wilkin . It’s painful . He tries to be clever and funny using bizarre anecdotes. I can just about deal with him being a touch line pundit but 80mins of him would not promote me wanting to invest in

Banned

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines to be honest, he's not a stupid lad.

I can't remember anything about this George Reilly, did he do something wrong or something?

I can't remember anything about this George Reilly, did he do something wrong or something?
    Suspended from the BBC a few ago following sexual harassment allegations and resigned before the investigation was complete. Not sure if anything ever came from them but he’s not worked for the BBC since.

In The South Stand

Riley worked for the BBC and got in some kind of trouble but I can’t remember the details. I don’t think he works for the BBC or freelances for them anymore. He’s a Rugby League fan but admitted football is his main sport and he’s not a commentator; he’s a link man. Wilkin isn’t a commentator either and that’s the heart of the problem. A link man and a pundit without sufficient skill to commentate and filling the time with sometimes inane chat and sometimes with relevant insights from a player’s perspective.

I quite enjoyed the banter because it was a pre-season one off. Neither of them would behave the same on Sky or the BBC. However, it is a pity there was no commentary because the combination of a poor picture and new and younger players made it hard for me to follow. Despite that I wouldn’t write off Wilkins career as a pundit on the basis of what I saw.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

I'm sure Wilkin wouldn't have been like that had it been other than a friendly, but I agree the lack of ANY coherent commentary wasn't good.
    His story about slapping Makinson was, in particular, really pathetic - I think he realised that as he did try to downplay it a little later. It was just one part in his self promotion exercise though, really disappointed in him, he's far better than that
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    I'm sure Wilkin wouldn't have been like that had it been other than a friendly, but I agree the lack of ANY coherent commentary wasn't good.
    His story about slapping Makinson was, in particular, really pathetic - I think he realised that as he did try to downplay it a little later. It was just one part in his self promotion exercise though, really disappointed in him, he's far better than that

Is he?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    [/B]

Is he?
    No. His podcast is painful. Him and that Will bloke are unbearable. I quite like Flanagan though, he talks well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    No. His podcast is painful. Him and that Will bloke are unbearable. I quite like Flanagan though, he talks well.
    Out of Your League? Think that's the one Wilkin said he was leaving around this time last year but he's on the most recent ones.

They aren't very good. Think it's Will Perry who does them with him & of course, Flanagan.

Edit: The Denan Kemp podcast in Australia is a bit better. Just that when he's had Jackson Hastings & Brett Finch on, it's pretty obvious he hasn't a clue what goes on outside the NRL.

Shows what the Australians think of RL over here

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Out of Your League? Think that's the one Wilkin said he was leaving around this time last year but he's on the most recent ones.

They aren't very good. Think it's Will Perry who does them with him & of course, Flanagan.

Edit: The Denan Kemp podcast in Australia is a bit better. Just that when he's had Jackson Hastings & Brett Finch on, it's pretty obvious he hasn't a clue what goes on outside the NRL.

Andrew Voss gives plenty shout outs to the British game but the other pundits couldn’t care less. I saw Bryan Fletcher in a recent show and he didn’t know which side of the pennines Bradfords located. And he played over here for 2 years!!
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Andrew Voss gives plenty shout outs to the British game but the other pundits couldn’t care less. I saw Bryan Fletcher in a recent show and he didn’t know which side of the pennines Bradfords located. And he played over here for 2 years!!
    Perfect example

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

Imagine what the Australians would think about us if Brian Carney was discussing the NRL.

Learning All The Songs

Wilkin has always been a self publicist. He always talked a far better game than he everton played.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

I'm thinking of watching the Warrington v Leigh game, hopefully it's not the Riley/Wilkin combination again. I need to try and find out if it is.....

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    [/B]

Is he?
    I've always found him better than most when he's been on on other occasions.
    Don't listen to RL podcasts, so can't comment on those
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............