Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 signings of the Super League era

Default Top 5 signings of the Super League era

I've just seen a screenshot on Twitter of an article counting down our top 5 signings of the Super League era. It was laughable so I won't link it and give the clicks it doesn't deserve.

But thought it would be a good off season thread of here! For me it's:

1. Sculthorpe - Had everything and could play several positions to a high standard. But for his injuries, honestly think he would have been one of the best ever.

2. Long - A brilliant maverick. Secured 2 titles with his nerveless kicking. Entertainment by the bucketloads.

3. Coote - A class operator, an unexpected top class goal kicker, solid in defence, key in attack. Took us from nearly men to champions.

4. Lyon - Only reason he isn't higher is because the team he was in meant I think 2006 would have happened anyway, just not as convincingly. Such a skillful player though, once in a generation.

5. Walmsley - A powerhouse forward who is frequently unstoppable. Best prop in the comp for years now, a big part of our recent success.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post
    I've just seen a screenshot on Twitter of an article counting down our top 5 signings of the Super League era. It was laughable so I won't link it and give the clicks it doesn't deserve.

1. Sculthorpe - Had everything and could play several positions to a high standard. But for his injuries, honestly think he would have been one of the best ever.

2. Long - A brilliant maverick. Secured 2 titles with his nerveless kicking. Entertainment by the bucketloads.

3. Coote - A class operator, an unexpected top class goal kicker, solid in defence, key in attack. Took us from nearly men to champions.

4. Lyon - Only reason he isn't higher is because the team he was in meant I think 2006 would have happened anyway, just not as convincingly. Such a skillful player though, once in a generation.

5. Walmsley - A powerhouse forward who is frequently unstoppable. Best prop in the comp for years now, a big part of our recent success.
    Wouldn't argue against those as my top 5, I'm sure there are cases for other players. Because of the fee paid for Sculthorpe, I would swap him and Long, and Walmsley and Coote.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Wouldn't argue against those as my top 5, I'm sure there are cases for other players. Because of the fee paid for Sculthorpe, I would swap him and Long, and Walmsley and Coote.
    Paul Anderson number 1 for me. Not for longevity but a genius signing by Millward

Special mentions for Hooper, Gilmour and Talau

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

No Jack Owens? Matty Dawson?.

You lot need to give your head a wobble

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Paul Anderson number 1 for me. Not for longevity but a genius signing by Millward

Special mentions for Hooper, Gilmour and Talau
    I remember thinking why the heck have we signed him? As you say, it was a fantastic signing from Millward. Other players that you could say should be in the top 5; Gidley, Soliola, Fa'asavalu, Fairleigh, Albert, Britt, Pryce

Banned

There's so many you could add, we're very lucky in that respect. I'm a bit too relaxed at the moment to engage the old thinking tackle.

Banned

I've just seen a screenshot on Twitter of an article counting down our top 5 signings of the Super League era. It was laughable so I won't link it and give the clicks it doesn't deserve. How they had Meli in there is beyond me

Banned

How they had Meli in there is beyond me

Banned

I remember thinking why the heck have we signed him? As you say, it was a fantastic signing from Millward. Other players that you could say should be in the top 5; Gidley, Soliola, Fa'asavalu, Fairleigh, Albert, Britt, Pryce
    They had Fa'asavalu in their top 5

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I really couldn't remember them all to pick a top 5, and there have been so many good ones it's almost impossible to choose. The five you have picked have all been great signings.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    How they had Meli in there is beyond me
    https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/top-1...history-37528/

If that's beyond you look at the 2nd best kit in Super League history......

In The South Stand

The “signings” of Daniel Anderson and Justin Holbrook probably make any top five, for me. Granted they weren’t players for us but they both took us to new levels.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post

I don't even think their own fans like it!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

That Wigoon doesn't qualify, it says in Superleague History when it hasn't been worn yet in Superleague.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    That Wigoon doesn't qualify, it says in Superleague History when it hasn't been worn yet in Superleague.
    Also mentions 'champion side', they must be claiming some sort of moral victory again. Did Leneghan write that article?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

In my opinion:

1. Paul Newlove we signed him for the superleague starting season a world class player who took the superleague by storm.

2. Sean Long little did we know he was the pivotal beginnings of the Saints Dynasty.

3. Jamie Lyon, a gamble that proved his contribution gave us the tagging of the "The Untouchables".

4. Alex Walmsley another astute signing from the lower division, one that the club can be proud of for developing such raw talent.

5. Ben Barba, although short lived and didn't finish with the best ending, he was "box office" and gave the sport positive exposure with his attacking skills.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    The “signings” of Daniel Anderson and Justin Holbrook probably make any top five, for me. Granted they weren’t players for us but they both took us to new levels.
    100%. Hard to understate the impact both of those had on the club.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    In my opinion:

1. Paul Newlove we signed him for the superleague starting season a world class player who took the superleague by storm.

2. Sean Long little did we know he was the pivotal beginnings of the Saints Dynasty.

3. Jamie Lyon, a gamble that proved his contribution gave us the tagging of the "The Untouchables".

4. Alex Walmsley another astute signing from the lower division, one that the club can be proud of for developing such raw talent.

5. Ben Barba, although short lived and didn't finish with the best ending, he was "box office" and gave the sport positive exposure with his attacking skills.
    I'd go Iro over Barba.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JBT View Post
    I'd go Iro over Barba.
    When Holbrook took over, Saints had slipped almost out of relevance. Since Anderson leaving, we'd won just 1 trophy, and were more known for our GF losing streak, and not as the most successful club of the SL era.

The Barba signing didn't just focus attention on us, it turned us into the most exciting team. It was of course the whole team that made us successful, and with Barba we didn't win either of the two big trophies. But he put us back on the map, and on the way back onto our perch at the very top.

Regardless of how his stay here finished, as a signing it put us on the map again and declared our intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    When Holbrook took over, Saints had slipped almost out of relevance. Since Anderson leaving, we'd won just 1 trophy, and were more known for our GF losing streak, and not as the most successful club of the SL era.

The Barba signing didn't just focus attention on us, it turned us into the most exciting team. It was of course the whole team that made us successful, and with Barba we didn't win either of the two big trophies. But he put us back on the map, and on the way back onto our perch at the very top.

Regardless of how his stay here finished, as a signing it put us on the map again and declared our intention.
    Don't disagree with you Webbo, I just always liked Iro as a player when he was with us, and the amount of tries and/or space he created for his winger by his size and ability. Barba would be in my top 10 (or even top 6 ) if the list were expanded.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

Banned

Hells teeth who runs that site?

Banned

In terms of impact, I'd also throw Derek McVey into the mix. Probably not 'top 5' but a fantastic signing.

Derek Mc-who? was the reaction of most fans to his signing (unless they were NRL followers), and probably expected another average Aussie plodder. But that first season of Superleague, he was incredible. A superb ball-handling second row with a great rugby brain and ability to slice through a gap, he carved open many a team. That season was nip and tuck with the piescum, and us taking the title came down to some fine margins in almost a sudden-death situation. McVey was instrumental in helping us kick on from 'bridesmaids' to displacing the scum as champions.

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Hells teeth who runs that site?
    Some of the articles are embarrassing, one that really sticks out is they did the top 10 SL teams of all time. The Warrington 2011 team was 10th. Saints 99/00 02 or 14 team didn't make the list. I wouldn't put the 2014 in the top 10 bit the fact that a team which didn't win the GF made their top 10 says everything you need to know about that website. Also Leeds 2015 was 1st and Saints 2006 was 2nd... morons
    Last edited by SaintJon; 12th March 2021 at 17:29.

Banned

Some of the articles are embarrassing, one that really sticks out is they did the top 10 SL teams of all time. The Warrington 2011 team was 10th. Saints 99/00 02 or 14 team didn't make the list. I wouldn't put the 2014 in the top 10 bit the fact that a team which didn't win the GF made their top 10 says everything you need to know about that website. Also Leeds 2015 was 1st and Saints 2006 was 2nd... morons

There's some fair articles, but yes... some daft ones.

Did you see the transfer ratings for each club? We got an overall 8/10, but this bit of the summary was a bit rubbish:

However, if I were them I’d have brought in another prop to fill the void left by Luke Thompson and James Graham. Instead the Saints have trusted what they already have and a couple less high-profile signings. Not a bad move but will it come off?
    Not only have we not lost two props (Graham was a short-term replacement for Thompson) but does he not realise Paasi is a prop? Other Saints players have been singing his praises so if he can replicate that on the pitch, he could be the signing that flies under the radar.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    There's some fair articles, but yes... some daft ones.

Did you see the transfer ratings for each club? We got an overall 8/10, but this bit of the summary was a bit rubbish:

Not only have we not lost two props (Graham was a short-term replacement for Thompson) but does he not realise Paasi is a prop? Other Saints players have been singing his praises so if he can replicate that on the pitch, he could be the signing that flies under the radar.
    I can’t take that site seriously at all. Its poorly researched and puts feeling above fact. The 2006 team being second place is laughable. It also won the WCC against one of the best Australia NRL teams whereas the supposed best SL team was getting whopped by North Queensland. Garbage site.