Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: NRL 2021 season

If you haven't had chance to see it yet, make sure you watch Stephen Crichton's try for the Panthers today, absolutely unreal!!

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    If you haven't had chance to see it yet, make sure you watch Stephen Crichton's try for the Panthers today, absolutely unreal!!
    We’ve got relatives that live in Penrith so they’ve always been my NRL team. Hoping for a Panthers / Saints double this year and we can play them in the World Club Challenge next year.

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    We’ve got relatives that live in Penrith so they’ve always been my NRL team. Hoping for a Panthers / Saints double this year and we can play them in the World Club Challenge next year.
    I'd say the Panthers were my Aussie 'team', just love watching them play. Not sure I fancy them taking Saints on though, I just think they are on a different level to everybody else.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Some people raised that they'd lost a few players after I and a few others tipped them for the Minor Premiership again before the seaon, but I think they've built up such a good structure there that players buy into it and they don't lose a step if some arrive and some leave. Penrith are becoming the gold standard in the NRL and they have everything in place. They have the team, the coaches, the leadership at the club, the distinct home advantage of playing in their own ground and all they need is a Grand Final win to top off it, because I think it could lead to a few.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    It was a great try! The role Matt Burton played in it...remember he's a half playing in the centres and I've commented about how Saints could use Welsby to do similar for Saints from there, if not seen as a first choice pivot at the moment or 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Some people raised that they'd lost a few players after I and a few others tipped them for the Minor Premiership again before the seaon, but I think they've built up such a good structure there that players buy into it and they don't lose a step if some arrive and some leave. Penrith are becoming the gold standard in the NRL and they have everything in place. They have the team, the coaches, the leadership at the club, the distinct home advantage of playing in their own ground and all they need is a Grand Final win to top off it, because I think it could lead to a few.
    Panthers are just so consistent. They've got the best half back in the competition in Cleary and then lots of quality around him. They don't look like losing a game, though the origin series coming up will really test them, because a lot of the side has been called up- I've just seen the NSW squad announced - https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/30/...origin-i-team/

I can only see a two-horse race at the moment for the minor premiership and a likely repeat of last season's GF.
    Last edited by Mike Stephenson; 30th May 2021 at 16:59.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Game I of Origin confirmed for Townsville because of the COVID outbreak in Melbourne. Should be a great spectacle at a smaller club ground but obviously some NSW figures are complaining that QLD now hosts Games I and II which gives them an advantage.

NSW team looks good regardless.

James Tedesco
    Brian To'o
    Latrell Mitchell
    Tom Trbojevic
    Josh Addo-Carr
    Jarome Luai
    Nathan Cleary
    Daniel Saifiti
    Damien Cook
    Jake Trbojevic
    Cameron Murray
    Tariq Sims
    Isaah Yeo
    Subs
    Jack Wighton
    Junior Paulo
    Payne Haas
    Liam Martin
    Back ups
    Api Koroisau
    Campbell Graham

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Panthers are my aussie team since I saw them at KR (i think) in the 90's Ryan Girdler took us apart with Craig Gower iirc a high scoring game great entertainment.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Game I of Origin confirmed for Townsville because of the COVID outbreak in Melbourne. Should be a great spectacle at a smaller club ground but obviously some NSW figures are complaining that QLD now hosts Games I and II which gives them an advantage.

NSW team looks good regardless.

James Tedesco
    Brian To'o
    Latrell Mitchell
    Tom Trbojevic
    Josh Addo-Carr
    Jarome Luai
    Nathan Cleary
    Daniel Saifiti
    Damien Cook
    Jake Trbojevic
    Cameron Murray
    Tariq Sims
    Isaah Yeo
    Subs
    Jack Wighton
    Junior Paulo
    Payne Haas
    Liam Martin
    Back ups
    Api Koroisau
    Campbell Graham
    QLD team in here- https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/31/...origin-i-team/

Two very strong teams despite the absenties and should be a great series. It's difficult to call, but I'm backing NSW.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Panthers are my aussie team since I saw them at KR (i think) in the 90's Ryan Girdler took us apart with Craig Gower iirc a high scoring game great entertainment.
    Yeah I remember that game. It was during the super league war in OZ when half the clubs split 97/98 I think? That would’ve been one of the world club challenge games when all the English sides played the Australian teams that had formed the new super league comp over there. If I remember correctly we played Penrith, Auckland Warriors and Cronulla (Sean Longs debut game for Saints). I think the English teams only won a handful of games and most were blow outs in favour of the Aussies. We somehow made the semi’s with out winning a game and then got hammered by Brisbane.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Ponga is out I believe

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Team lists together (as they stand) here https://www.nrl.com/draw/state-of-or...lues/teamlist/

NSW look stronger across the board IMO, but QLD have the first two at home, and I think Townsville will be a bigger home advantage than Suncorp to be honest, so it's set up nicely.

Got A Season Ticket

Big test for Penrith today, 7 players out for Origin

Quote Originally Posted by LaVenRouge View Post

Got a tonking didn't they?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    Got a tonking didn't they?
    They sure did, held on for as long as they could but Wests always looked like they were going to break through.

Quote Originally Posted by LaVenRouge View Post
    Penrith looked ordinary today with all the absenties, think it was 8 in total with the suspension to the prop as well.

A chance for the Storm tomorrow, to make up some ground on them on the ladder and I think they'll beat Gold Coast. Both teams missing several of their key players. Melbourne will still be too strong I think.

Banned

I'm certain I remember Paul Bishop doing similar at Widnes years ago.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

This Gold Coast defence is dreadful. No excuse for conceding 7 tries in 25 minutes so far in the 2nd half. On another note, Trbojevic is just on a different level, unbelievable player!
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    This Gold Coast defence is dreadful. No excuse for conceding 7 tries in 25 minutes so far in the 2nd half. On another note, Trbojevic is just on a different level, unbelievable player!
    I've just watched that game... 0-48 in the second half and could have been worse if Garrick had his kicking boots on.

As good as Tedesco is, I think there's an argument to say that turbo Tom is the best full back in the sport at the moment. Especially in terms of what he brings in attack. Hopefully Papenhuyzen can get back on the field soon as well, because he started the season really strongly too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I've just watched that game... 0-48 in the second half and could have been worse if Garrick had his kicking boots on.

As good as Tedesco is, I think there's an argument to say that turbo Tom is the best full back in the sport at the moment. Especially in terms of what he brings in attack. Hopefully Papenhuyzen can get back on the field soon as well, because he started the season really strongly too.
    I mean it’s an average Manly team but he takes them to another level. Averaging 36 points a game since he returned from injury and they scored more points in that 2nd half than in their first 5 games when he was injured at the start of the season.

I mean it’s an average Manly team but he takes them to another level. Averaging 36 points a game since he returned from injury and they scored more points in that 2nd half than in their first 5 games when he was injured at the start of the season.
    I think if it wasn't for Cleary, he'd be top of the Dally M leaderboard, despite missing those 5 games as you say.

Will be interesting to see how the other brother (Ben) develops. If he can be at the level of Tom & Jake... there's some talent in that family!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I think if it wasn't for Cleary, he'd be top of the Dally M leaderboard, despite missing those 5 games as you say.

Will be interesting to see how the other brother (Ben) develops. If he can be at the level of Tom & Jake... there's some talent in that family!
    I think you are a top poster on our very safe board and I like you very much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I think you are a top poster on our very safe board and I like you very much.
    If I didn't know better I would think that was sarcasm.: angel:

Learning All The Songs

He sounded very despondent in the press conference, I have never seen or heard him so down before.

Does anyone think he could get the bullet from Gold Coast or he might end up back at Saint's?

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    He sounded very despondent in the press conference, I have never seen or heard him so down before.

Does anyone think he could get the bullet from Gold Coast or he might end up back at Saint's?
    No. He signed a contract until the end of 2024 the club have that much faith in him and the fans absolutely love him. Everyone involved knows that it’s a massive project and they probably overachieved last season a little bit.