Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: NRL 2021 season

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I turned that game off at half time it was dreadful

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk
    Bulldogs the gift that keeps giving - another nilling today. Imagine this board if we got back to back to back nilled. LT is back for them next week.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Storm by 20 against Broncos is my thinking

Banned

Get yerself 'ome Thommo lad.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Storm by 20 against Broncos is my thinking
    At half time

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Get yerself 'ome Thommo lad.
    yes , to Wigan or Wire probably

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    yes , to Wigan or Wire probably
    Are you his agent or something?

Finally some points for Titans.

Makinson and Roby would have scored their other 3 attempts

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Luke Thompson returns to the Bulldogs starting line up this week following his suspension. They’ve got a couple others back from injury as well but still can’t see them getting one over Melbourne.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Luke Thompson returns to the Bulldogs starting line up this week following his suspension. They’ve got a couple others back from injury as well but still can’t see them getting one over Melbourne.
    It would be amusing though, along with the Roosters I can't stand Melbourne.

It would be amusing though, along with the Roosters I can't stand Melbourne.
    Don’t mind the Roosters but can’t stand Melbourne either. I’ve found many reasons to dislike them over the years, some rational such as them being salary cap cheats, some more irrational such as I only know one Aussie bloke, he supports Melbourne and he’s a prick.

Banned

Don’t mind the Roosters but can’t stand Melbourne either. I’ve found many reasons to dislike them over the years, some rational such as them being salary cap cheats, some more irrational such as I only know one Aussie bloke, he supports Melbourne and he’s a prick.
    Yeah, that seems a fairly common theme among Aussie's although I know one who's OK who supports the Roosters.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

My likes and dislikes are pretty unfair really, and they usually stem around where the teams play. Not geographically but stadiums. If I lived in Sydney I'd hate to be a Bulldogs or Souths fan because they play in the big soulless stadium, it must be soul destroying playing in front of 15-20,000 in a 80,000 seat stadium. Imagine us playing at Old Trafford every other week or even Anfield, it would be horrible seeing rows and rows of empty seats even if we were relatively well supported. I also dislike the Bulldogs because they got rid of the Canterbury name for a while thinking they could become Sydney's team. They moved into ANZ stadium and made noises about being the Man United of the NRL, which hasn't exactly gone well.

On the opposite side, always liked St George because I love their ground, and have a soft spot for the Tigers because I love Leichardt as well. Manly with Brookvale also get the thumbs up, as do Penrith with their nice compact ground and Parra with their new ground look a real club again now. I basically like the Sydney clubs that still resemble what we have, namely proper grounds in distinct areas that locals walk up to. Souths, Bulldogs and also the Roosters got too big for their boots and sold out, and they've never appealed to me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    My likes and dislikes are pretty unfair really, and they usually stem around where the teams play. Not geographically but stadiums. If I lived in Sydney I'd hate to be a Bulldogs or Souths fan because they play in the big soulless stadium, it must be soul destroying playing in front of 15-20,000 in a 80,000 seat stadium. Imagine us playing at Old Trafford every other week or even Anfield, it would be horrible seeing rows and rows of empty seats even if we were relatively well supported. I also dislike the Bulldogs because they got rid of the Canterbury name for a while thinking they could become Sydney's team. They moved into ANZ stadium and made noises about being the Man United of the NRL, which hasn't exactly gone well.

On the opposite side, always liked St George because I love their ground, and have a soft spot for the Tigers because I love Leichardt as well. Manly with Brookvale also get the thumbs up, as do Penrith with their nice compact ground and Parra with their new ground look a real club again now. I basically like the Sydney clubs that still resemble what we have, namely proper grounds in distinct areas that locals walk up to. Souths, Bulldogs and also the Roosters got too big for their boots and sold out, and they've never appealed to me.
    Yeah, I feel similar. I like the fact we never sold out with a wanky name although we did in the end with the ground. I'd throw Brisbane in with the "smaller" Sydney clubs, even though they're a massive brand in a huge stadium. I'll never forget walking around around Lang Park and thinking to myself, this is a proper RL place, seeing the Meninga statue and all that. I'm not keen on Brisbane either but they're a proper club who've kept true to their roots for me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Yeah, I feel similar. I like the fact we never sold out with a wanky name although we did in the end with the ground. I'd throw Brisbane in with the "smaller" Sydney clubs, even though they're a massive brand in a huge stadium. I'll never forget walking around around Lang Park and thinking to myself, this is a proper RL place, seeing the Meninga statue and all that. I'm not keen on Brisbane either but they're a proper club who've kept true to their roots for me.
    Last time I was in Sydney we stayed up near Balmain and Wests had a Saturday night game at Leichardt. You walk on to the main road leading to the ground and it was like the olds days at KR, just a stream of people all going in one direction with this old suburban ground lit up in the distance, really made me smile. Didn't even have turnstiles on the side were the famous Hill is, just waved my ticket at some kid and walked in and bought an ice cold VB. That for me is what RL is all about, low key, authentic, a club in its locality and being something important to the area. Even Wests are in theory a sell out club being a merger club, and they only play 3-4 games a year there as it's not as financially viable as other places, but it's still there.

I get quite picky with NRL games on tv because of where they're played. Roosters v Souths is hyped as the biggest rivalry in the league but you watch it, and whilst the quality is great the whole thing seems diluted because the place is half empty. Compare it with Penrith v Melbourne with 15k in a small ground, that for me is a better watch and I'll generally watch games at places like Kogarah, Leichardt, Brookvale, Penrith etc because I know the whole thing will be more authentic.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Thumping win for Holbrook's Gold Coast over Newcastle this morning. He's really turned them round. Fifita looks like he is going to be a really good signing.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Nice to see Thompson score on his return even if the Bulldogs are getting hammered.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Nice to see Thompson score on his return even if the Bulldogs are getting hammered.
    he's made a huge difference to a crap team

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Last time I was in Sydney we stayed up near Balmain and Wests had a Saturday night game at Leichardt. You walk on to the main road leading to the ground and it was like the olds days at KR, just a stream of people all going in one direction with this old suburban ground lit up in the distance, really made me smile. Didn't even have turnstiles on the side were the famous Hill is, just waved my ticket at some kid and walked in and bought an ice cold VB. That for me is what RL is all about, low key, authentic, a club in its locality and being something important to the area. Even Wests are in theory a sell out club being a merger club, and they only play 3-4 games a year there as it's not as financially viable as other places, but it's still there.

I get quite picky with NRL games on tv because of where they're played. Roosters v Souths is hyped as the biggest rivalry in the league but you watch it, and whilst the quality is great the whole thing seems diluted because the place is half empty. Compare it with Penrith v Melbourne with 15k in a small ground, that for me is a better watch and I'll generally watch games at places like Kogarah, Leichardt, Brookvale, Penrith etc because I know the whole thing will be more authentic.
    When you write 'That for me is what RL is all about, low key, authentic, a club in its locality and being something important to the area', it's exactly what I feel about RL. Add to that, the sport's relative integrity compared with football, that it's streets ahead in terms of diversity and inclusion, and that you can have banter with opposing fans without danger of a fist fight and it's the best sport in the world even before the excellence of the game itself.

But that is exactly it's problem as well. How can it prosper when it's small and relatively niche? Attendance at EFL Championship matches is higher than Super League. We all fear for the long term future of the game.

Looks like Luke Thompson pulled up with an injury in the highlights. Was anything mentioned post game?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Looks like Luke Thompson pulled up with an injury in the highlights. Was anything mentioned post game?
    Cramp apparently. Fair enough given he ran his blood to water. Certainly making a big difference to a crap team.

Got A Season Ticket

Reports on Fox media in Oz that Josh Simm is being offered around https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...2644503aa4b4e6

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Reports on Fox media in Oz that Josh Simm is being offered around https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...2644503aa4b4e6
    Bit early for him I would have thought

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    I would take that with a pinch of salt. If he's been offered a contract then unless saints have agreed ( and I don't see why they would ) then it's an illegal approach to a contracted player ? Also can you see anyone agreeing to pay what amounts to almost £140k for an inexperienced kid?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    I would take that with a pinch of salt. If he's been offered a contract then unless saints have agreed ( and I don't see why they would ) then it's an illegal approach to a contracted player ? Also can you see anyone agreeing to pay what amounts to almost £140k for an inexperienced kid?
    Yeah sounds a bit suss but OZ clubs happy to take on new players- some who havent even played superleague yet.

Also the article says it is his agent approaching clubs rather than the other way round so not sure how that fits within rules etc.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Those two Huddersfield youngsters didn’t get much game time at Huddersfield but now they’re at Newcastle Knights.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies