Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NRL 2021 season

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Default NRL 2021 season

With the RL season starting in a few days in Australia I thought I’d start the thread for all NRL related chat. Please try and keep it all in here because some of us watch the Thurs and Fri games on delay in the evenings and don’t wish to have stuff given away when they come on here to talk about Saints in the afternoon, etc. If you keep it all in here nobody can grumble, and anybody coming on to this thread does so knowing there are potential spoilers galore.

As for the season, reckon it could be a good one with Melbourne possibly dropping down into the pack, Penrith looking strong, Parra containing to improve and the usual suspects like the Roosters and Souths again knocking on the door. I’ll be interested to see if Justin can continue the good work he’s been doing on the Gold Coast and get them into the 8, which in year 2 would be a good achievement for him and them.

Sky have three of the games from Round 1 including the season opener...
    Thursday 11 March
    9am Melbourne Storm v South Sydney

Saturday 13th March
    6:30am Sydney Roosters v Manly Sea Eagles
    8:30am Penrith Panthers v North Queensland

Got A Season Ticket

I will be interested to see how the two young lads from the UK Dom Young and Bailey Hodgson get on at the Newcastle Knights
    I think South Sydney would be my tip to win the Grand Final

Learning All The Songs

also be interesting to see how Gold Coast go in JH's second season. Massive improvement last year. Can he maintain that?

In The South Stand

I’m probably more excited for the NRL than I am for Super League, as a whole. Beyond us and Wigan, I can’t see another winner of Super League this year, whereas the NRL has Sydney, Rabbitohs, Penrith and Melbourne with good cases for winning the comp, with the remaining play-off places between about six clubs.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

I like the look of Penrith for Minor Premiers again. They have good home advantage playing out in the mountains, and I don't see anyone matching them for points. But the Finals are the great equaliser. Maybe their run to the GF last year will give them the experience and drive to go one better, but you never know. If I was having to pick the semi finalists I'd say Penrith, Parra, Souths and the Roosters.

And I do think Gold Coast can make the 8. They won't touch Top 4 but they'll win enough to get 8th IMO. It would have been amazing if they'd have lured Cameron Smith there for a swansong season but that now looks very unlikely.

Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar

Souths to win it. Gold Coast to make the 8 and Luke Thompson to show his true ability. Morris at Cronulla to be the first coach to lose his job

Banned

Couldn't care less. I hope Holbrook's team do well and Thompson but apart from that, •••• 'em.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Bulldogs seemed to have got rid of some dead weight so hopefully then can go a bit better than 3 wins last season. Hopefully , Ive been a fan since James Graham went.

Titans will be interesting to watch. You could see the improvements made by Holbrook. Maybe top 8.

Canberra and Penrith to be nearly rans again.

Surprise package - Newcastle Knights.

Storm vs Souths or Roosters for the final.

Hope the Panthers go well again this year, think they have quality all over the park!

Be interesting to see how Kyle Flanagan gets on at the Doggies but think he may need a few others of his quality, around him!

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I like the look of Penrith for Minor Premiers again. They have good home advantage playing out in the mountains, and I don't see anyone matching them for points. But the Finals are the great equaliser. Maybe their run to the GF last year will give them the experience and drive to go one better, but you never know. If I was having to pick the semi finalists I'd say Penrith, Parra, Souths and the Roosters.

And I do think Gold Coast can make the 8. They won't touch Top 4 but they'll win enough to get 8th IMO. It would have been amazing if they'd have lured Cameron Smith there for a swansong season but that now looks very unlikely.

Penrith haven't lost any key players, so I think you could be right and they could very well do it again. They did have a lot of good fortune with hardly any injuries last year though.

Souths looked really strong in the Charity Shield. Having Mitchell fully fit and at full back gives them more than they had towards the end of last year. Plus Marshall signed as cover for the halves.

Will be interesting to see how Melbourne go without Smith. They've coped well enough without Slater & Cronk, so I think they'll still be top 4. Just so consistent and they always seem to get recruitment right.

I think the Roosters will be there or thereabouts again too, but there's still question marks over who will partner Keary. Also, wonder if the 17 year old they've signed that there's a lot of hype about, will be allowed to play some games? Think he can play full back, wing or centre.

I agree on Gold Coast. Think Fifita is a great signing for them.

Regards,

STEVO

Starting A Programme Collection

I have a Streaming system here in Thailand . Unfortunately cannot get NRL so will have to make do with Sky UK .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Penrith haven't lost any key players, so I think you could be right and they could very well do it again.
    Apart from James Tamou, Jack Hetherington, Caleb Aekins, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, Pat Hollis and Brayden McGrady you mean.

Oh and Josh Mansour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Ben lkins got the Raiders winning it this year. I can’t see it myself. The Roosters will want to bounce back this year and you can never write off Storm even without Captain whinge. Souths will have a good season but then some Chucks fan journalist will probably unearth some scandal and derail their season around play off time.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reacher View Post
    apart from james tamou, jack hetherington, caleb aekins, malakai watene-zelezniak, pat hollis and brayden mcgrady you mean.

Oh and josh mansour.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

In The South Stand

Teams for the weekend have been released. Luke Thompson starts the first of a four game ban this weekend, for anyone interested.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Apart from James Tamou, Jack Hetherington, Caleb Aekins, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, Pat Hollis and Brayden McGrady you mean.

Oh and Josh Mansour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think what I've said is fair, their 'key' players are still there. Tamou could be a loss, but he is 32 now.

Staines' development meant they were happy to let Mansour go. And re-signing Crichton & Luai were their priorities.

I do think they will be top 4 again. Who are you backing?

Regards,

STEVO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I think what I've said is fair, their 'key' players are still there. Tamou could be a loss, but he is 32 now.

Staines' development meant they were happy to let Mansour go. And re-signing Crichton & Luai were their priorities.

I do think they will be top 4 again. Who are you backing?

Regards,

STEVO
    If Latrell Mitchell can stay fit and firing then I think Souths especially with it being Bennett's last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    If Latrell Mitchell can stay fit and firing then I think Souths especially with it being Bennett's last season.
    As I said earlier, I think Souths will be there when it gets to the semi-finals, but I don't think they'll finish above Penrith in the regular season. Penrith for me will go for the Minor Premiership again, I think it's part of their inferiority complex to want to be seen as the club and a side that can be the benchmark every week. They won 14 on the bounce last season and kept going when they'd wrapped up a top 2 finish and looked almost certain of finishing top, whilst sides like Melbourne, the Roosters and Souths who have more in-built self-confidence and big game players play the long game to a greater extent and know they can get it done in the Finals. That is why I say I don't see anyone matching Penrith over the regular season, but it doesn't mean they'll get it done in the Finals.

Starting A Programme Collection Red_V_Roger's Avatar
    Peregian Springs, (near Noosa) Queensland

Go the Sharkies!!!!
    Gone Walkabout...

Great game to start the season.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

In The South Stand

Better second half from Souths. They’ll be dangerous still this year. The Storm were their clinical, ice cool selves in that first half.

Banned

Was a great start to their comp. A top game of rugby and an appetiser for our League kicking off. Thought the build up and general coverage was massively better than the garbage sky offer over here.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Tedesco is different gravy.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Not a great 24 hours for the Queensland sides

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Very, very smooth from the Roosters today!

Manly are a poor side though, they will struggle this year.

Think the Cowboys will be joining them at the wrong end of the table this year, 2 poor sides.