Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: NRL 2021 season

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Has this been confirmed? I know its been reported they've offered him a contract and so too have Cronulla.

It is a good signing for Brisbane as you say, if a done deal.

Surprised Souths are letting this happen because I think Benji Marshall has said he is retiring at the end of the season, so looking like they will be without two of their best performers (and pivots) from this season. Will have a new head coach as well, so lots of change there.

Once the Reynolds deal is done, interesting to see what then happens with Anthony Milford & Shaun Johnson amongst others!
    Not confirmed yet. Reports that Reynolds has signed for Broncos on less than what Cronulla offered.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Not confirmed yet. Reports that Reynolds has signed for Broncos on less than what Cronulla offered.
    Makes you wonder what role Bennett has played in this if it does happen. There's also talk of him going back to the Broncos next year as well, in some form or other.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Got A Season Ticket

Makes you wonder what role Bennett has played in this if it does happen. There's also talk of him going back to the Broncos next year as well, in some form or other.
    Appears to now be confirmed.
    https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/12/...-sharks-offer/

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Has this been confirmed? I know its been reported they've offered him a contract and so too have Cronulla.

It is a good signing for Brisbane as you say, if a done deal.

Surprised Souths are letting this happen because I think Benji Marshall has said he is retiring at the end of the season, so looking like they will be without two of their best performers (and pivots) from this season. Will have a new head coach as well, so lots of change there.

Once the Reynolds deal is done, interesting to see what then happens with Anthony Milford & Shaun Johnson amongst others!
    Milford to Gold Coast is the latest. Cronulla running out of options and may end up having to keep Johnson anyway.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Milford to Gold Coast is the latest. Cronulla running out of options and may end up having to keep Johnson anyway.
    I'd actually really like to see Milford at Gold Coast and coached under Holbrook. A few years ago, Milford was really good to watch and I think Holbrook with the style he likes to play, could get him back to a good level. Similarly to how he helped Barba.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Looks like the top five are beginning to pull way a bit with this weekends results so far.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    Looks like the top five are beginning to pull way a bit with this weekends results so far.
    There's a big gulf in standard isn't there between the top five as you say, and the rest- we're seeing lots of blow out scores.

All the sin bins and send offs have been noticeable too for almost any contact with the head. Will be interesting to see if this new enforcement comes over here.

Starting A Programme Collection

There's a big gulf in standard isn't there between the top five as you say, and the rest- we're seeing lots of blow out scores.

All the sin bins and send offs have been noticeable too for almost any contact with the head. Will be interesting to see if this new enforcement comes over here.
    Obviously there is a big push to protect against concussions, but the amount of sin bins in the NRL this weekend is ridiculous. I reckon there are more concussions from heads hitting the floor, knees and hips than from high tackles (wild guess). What bothers me is that there are too many that just look accidental that are getting sin bins. Contact sport, accidents will happen, this can’t happen if we want to keep the same game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

This weekends ruling in the NRL have been ridiculous. Plus once you enforce to this standard how do you do a u-turn on it. The NRL can’t turn around 180 and say ‘second thoughts, it’s ok to hit people above the shoulder’
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

If the NRL persist with penalising head shots, whether intentional or accidental, the consequence will be a change in technique from players. Rugby union has been applying a much more rigorous interpretation of contact with the head in both tackling and clearing out the ruck with several Premiership games each week having red or yellow cards issued. The players are beginning to adapt and the same will happen in league - we may even see Liam Farrell manage to see out a game without a high shot. Given the concerns over concussion and the possibility of legal action from players if the rugby league authorities do not follow due diligence, I can’t see any relaxation in approach occurring. What it may do is encourage players not to attempt “choke” tackles leading to fewer players in the tackle, more offloading and quicker play-the-balls.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

But league is faster than union. Chin tickles are inevitable in a collision sport like league no matter how good your tackle technique is imo.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

What was so different in the 2 high tackles in the Titans v Panthers this morning. 1 got 10 minutes, 1 was sent off. I accept the one on the Panthers player was more dramatic but that was just the line the defender and attacker were running. Both were shots to the head.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    If the NRL persist with penalising head shots, whether intentional or accidental, the consequence will be a change in technique from players. Rugby union has been applying a much more rigorous interpretation of contact with the head in both tackling and clearing out the ruck with several Premiership games each week having red or yellow cards issued. The players are beginning to adapt and the same will happen in league - we may even see Liam Farrell manage to see out a game without a high shot. Given the concerns over concussion and the possibility of legal action from players if the rugby league authorities do not follow due diligence, I can’t see any relaxation in approach occurring. What it may do is encourage players not to attempt “choke” tackles leading to fewer players in the tackle, more offloading and quicker play-the-balls.
    No wonder Shirley Temple retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    No wonder Shirley Temple retired.
    I don’t think she has, certainly was on the telly over Christmas.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Just got back from Brisbane and although most of the crowd were angry at the number of penalties and it did slow the game down, I thought there were far less players going off for head tests.

if that is continued over the season it has to be a good thing

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

It's a good direction to go in, to strive to eliminate head injuries but I'm not sure a knock to the face should instantly = on report & 10 mins in the bin (at least).

There are sometimes mitigating circumstances, like the attacking player ducking in to the tackle, etc... and the NRL refs have been pretty card-happy in the last week or so, and the number of sin bins has been crazy! It's great to see them trying to improve player safety, but I don't think all circumstances are as black or white as they are trying to impress.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    It's a good direction to go in, to strive to eliminate head injuries but I'm not sure a knock to the face should instantly = on report & 10 mins in the bin (at least).

There are sometimes mitigating circumstances, like the attacking player ducking in to the tackle, etc... and the NRL refs have been pretty card-happy in the last week or so, and the number of sin bins has been crazy! It's great to see them trying to improve player safety, but I don't think all circumstances are as black or white as they are trying to impress.
    I agree and there were several instances of referee's giving penalties when the man with the ball was clearly falling into the tackle, it's obviously incredibly difficult not to go high in that situation.

I'm sure it will calm down over the coming weeks

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Both of the calls on Victor Radley this morning were an absolute joke, rugby league is going the same way as rugby union...soft!

Everything thing is "High and forceful" at the moment, when it really isn't.

Radley's first was a bit late on the kicker but you can see he went to wrap his arms around the tackle. Second one he absolutely nailed Tevita Pangai in a cracking tackle, and again he is sent to the bin.

Absolute joke, someone needs to get a grip of it otherwise we may as well just play tag.

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Both of the calls on Victor Radley this morning were an absolute joke,

Everything thing is "High and forceful" at the moment, when it really isn't.

Radley's first was a bit late on the kicker but you can see he went to wrap his arms around the tackle. Second one he absolutely nailed Tevita Pangai in a cracking tackle, and again he is sent to the bin.

Absolute joke, someone needs to get a grip of it otherwise we may as well just play tag.
    I thought similar, seeing the highlights of that game. In the game after (the Canberra vs Melbourne one), Asofa-Solomona was hit high and yet the perpetrator (I think it was Corey Horsburgh) was just put on report and not sent to the bin. So there's still some inconsistency there. Across the 8 games at magic round, there was 14 sin bins, 3 send offs and 24 charges the stats say, so interesting to see what the count is at the end of this round. I do support the use of the sin bin and the need to protect the kickers and smaller players, but there has to be a balance somehow because of the intensity and speed of the game.

On a side note, looked like Albert Kelly had a good game for Brisbane, his first back in the NRL from being over here. I always felt he was a standout player when he was over here.

That was awesome from Penrith, they are just so good to watch and so entertaining. Absolute quality side!

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Don't shoot me , but will the time come when the wearing of 'headguards' would be compulsory?.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Don't shoot me , but will the time come when the wearing of 'headguards' would be compulsory?.
    Its a very sensible query, one I've thought about as well. The rise of litigation in sport alongside the research/awareness of head trauma will make this inevitable in my opinion.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    No as they offer 0 protection against concussion,all they do is stop cuts and abrasions.

Learning All The Songs

Bob Fulton has died -the word legend is overused these days but he certainly was one.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Bob Fulton has died -the word legend is overused these days but he certainly was one.
    Absolutely SfB , rated as one of the best in Australia , a Warrington lad was one of the first players to be put into the "Imortal's" , great player and great coach.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would