Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Eastmond back in League

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Who are you backing for the full back spot?
    I would hope Evalds continues to improve. He doesn't shirk under the high ball and has serious pace. Tomkins good in attack but is always prone to make a daft error. Hardaker nowhere near the player he was. Myler did Ok for Leeds but I don't see him an international FB. I suppose the lad at Warrington is a bit of a dark horse.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

It’s a 2 year deal but wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a get out clause after the 1st season. With so much money being thrown around in Japanese and USA rugby I’d be very surprised if he didn’t have options there. But with him not playing for so long and the pandemic situation maybe that has just put off anyone making an offer. Playing for Leeds works out for both parties, Eastmond gets the chance to get some game time and put himself in the shop window, Leeds get injury cover for Lui and Walker.

Being an avid watcher of club rugby union I’d be shocked if he hits anything near the levels he reached at his time at Saints. He’s lost several yards of pace but he’s a lot stronger and better defensively so he could work as a foil for Gale in the mould of Lui.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I think he'll play centre in league.

In The South Stand

His injury situation would be a worry. Remember when he first left and Bath said Saints had treated his injury wrongly ? Yet every club he went to he seemed to be out injured a lot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I would hope Evalds continues to improve. He doesn't shirk under the high ball and has serious pace. Tomkins good in attack but is always prone to make a daft error. Hardaker nowhere near the player he was. Myler did Ok for Leeds but I don't see him an international FB. I suppose the lad at Warrington is a bit of a dark horse.
    I agree with you on Evalds, he's a really good player and it wouldn't upset me if he replaced Coote. He seems quite tough too and doesn't miss many games. I'm not sure Castleford was the best move for him but he certainly gives their backline a good base.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    Maybe after Lui is back fit but Sinfield said when they signed him it was to boost their half back options. Leeds have injury prone players across their whole backline so if Eastmond can fill in at 1, 3, 4, 6 & 7 it’ll be very useful for them.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I agree with you on Evalds, he's a really good player and it wouldn't upset me if he replaced Coote. He seems quite tough too and doesn't miss many games. I'm not sure Castleford was the best move for him but he certainly gives their backline a good base.
    Won't be too long before he's at a club chasing honours.

He's a good un

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I doubt he will make much of an impact. Think he's way past it

Default Eastmond back in League

He was always pulling up in games for us even when he was fit. The one thing that worried me about him as a Saints player was whether he was tough enough.

He was freakishly talented, though: one of the most exciting prospects I’ve ever seen at Saints. I don’t buy the line that he was just a runner. I think had he stayed in league and stayed fit he could have been a great halfback. Signing him at 31 years old after a decade out of the game and years of injury problems is a bit of a long shot, though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    He was always pulling up in games for us even when he was fit. The one thing that worried me about him as a Saints player was whether he was tough enough.

He was freakishly talented, though: one of the most exciting prospects I’ve ever seen at Saints. I don’t buy the line that he was just a runner. I think had he stayed in league and stayed fit he could have been a great halfback. Signing him at 31 years old after a decade out of the game and years of injury problems is a bit of a long shot, though.
    I agree with that. His talent was incredible but he did seem a bit brittle.

As an aside, I don't blame him for chasing the money, only for the way he went about it.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    He was always pulling up in games for us even when he was fit...
    That's how I remember him. He'd go missing when the chips were down. All part of the attitude issues already mentioned in this thread.
    I can cut him some slack as he was only a kid then, but it will be interesting to see if he brings all that back with him age 31.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post

Depends what we want from a fullback. Evalds is an exciting runner, but has never struck me as being the sort of additional pivot we've mostly deployed as a tactic for the past several seasons (Lomax, Barba (albeit less so), Coote)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Depends what we want from a fullback. Evalds is an exciting runner, but has never struck me as being the sort of additional pivot we've mostly deployed as a tactic for the past several seasons (Lomax, Barba (albeit less so), Coote)
    Yep, true enough but how long before teams wise up to that tactic? The other thing being if we have 2 halves capable of pulling the stings then that extra pace could be deadly. All hypothetical of course, I'm just putting it out there.