Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long shot

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    So why can't he play on the wing for England? He's fast, agile & defensively sound. He's a better option there than Ash Handley , for certain.

The aussie three quarters switch from centre to wing. Inglis has, Gagai does, Mat Rogers did.

Meli switched from wing to centre effectively for us in 2011.

Percival and Gildart are quality left sided backs. Gildart is faster so stick him outside Percival. They're competent enough to work together. Ash Handley would get eaten alive by their right edge.

It really isn't as a ridiculous idea as you seem to think. Gildart was garbage when he played right centre for England a few years back. And yes, Percival didn't perform either when he got a chance. On the left, they are both potent attackers and will do a job.

Gildart played on the wing a few years back against Saints and ruined us.

King would be in at right centre for me.

Tomkins/Hardaker

Makinson
    King
    Percival
    Gildart

Williams
    Gale

(Lomax on the bench to cover 1 or 6)
    He won us the game v NZ at Hull playing right centre and played well, but had a poor game at Anfield. We moan all the time about players being out of position and we have some good wingers available (if fit) Handley, Makinson, Davies, McGilvray, Johnstone, Manfredi, Charnley, etc

We have more good wingers than good centres.

In The South Stand

If Gildart isn’t a starting centre for England, fitness permitting, I will be shocked. Percival seems well liked by Wane, though I do wonder if this Dom Young, who’s just joined Newcastle Knights, will be in with a shout. We don’t have many decent enough centres and it looks like he’ll get some game time this year in the NRL and that could sway things.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    If Gildart isn’t a starting centre for England, fitness permitting, I will be shocked. Percival seems well liked by Wane, though I do wonder if this Dom Young, who’s just joined Newcastle Knights, will be in with a shout. We don’t have many decent enough centres and it looks like he’ll get some game time this year in the NRL and that could sway things.
    I think Farnworth at Brisbane is more likely to get a game at England, I don't watch enough NRL to comment on if he's worthy of a spot.

I think Wane has already said he sees Percival starting at Centre if he has a good season.. a lot will depend on form, however if they keep up their performances over the last few years, I'd expect Makinson, Gildart, Percival to be 2/3/4, with Tomkins at full back

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I think Farnworth at Brisbane is more likely to get a game at England, I don't watch enough NRL to comment on if he's worthy of a spot.

I think Wane has already said he sees Percival starting at Centre if he has a good season.. a lot will depend on form, however if they keep up their performances over the last few years, I'd expect Makinson, Gildart, Percival to be 2/3/4, with Tomkins at full back
    He's a very good young prospect. I was hoping with his Wigan connections that we could have "brought him home" but from my conversations with someone who is quite close to him can't see it happening.

Banned

Yes shagpile doesn't float his boat, and knowing your circles 12,000 miles away is perhaps better for the lad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    He won us the game v NZ at Hull playing right centre and played well, but had a poor game at Anfield. We moan all the time about players being out of position and we have some good wingers available (if fit) Handley, Makinson, Davies, McGilvray, Johnstone, Manfredi, Charnley, etc

We have more good wingers than good centres.
    Glad we are in agreement. Gildart on the left wing it is

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    So why can't he play on the wing for England? He's fast, agile & defensively sound. He's a better option there than Ash Handley , for certain.

The aussie three quarters switch from centre to wing. Inglis has, Gagai does, Mat Rogers did.

Meli switched from wing to centre effectively for us in 2011.

Percival and Gildart are quality left sided backs. Gildart is faster so stick him outside Percival. They're competent enough to work together. Ash Handley would get eaten alive by their right edge.

It really isn't as a ridiculous idea as you seem to think. Gildart was garbage when he played right centre for England a few years back. And yes, Percival didn't perform either when he got a chance. On the left, they are both potent attackers and will do a job.

Gildart played on the wing a few years back against Saints and ruined us.

King would be in at right centre for me.

Tomkins/Hardaker

Makinson
    King
    Percival
    Gildart

Williams
    Gale

(Lomax on the bench to cover 1 or 6)
    I’m 99% certain if England had a game this weekend then Lomax and Williams would be halfbacks. Tomkins at 1. It would take something special from someone for that to change by the end of the year.

As for centres, Wane is a big fan of Harry Newman and Jake Wardle and it wouldn’t surprise me to see one of those two get a crack alongside Percival at some point. There are concerns inside the current England coaching set up that Gildart isn’t big enough.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rogues gallery View Post
    he's a very good young prospect. I was hoping with his wigan connections that we could have "brought him home" but from my conversations with someone who is quite close to him can't see it happening.
    ffs.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    ffs.
    Are FB and Twitter classed as conversations?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Something along the lines of:

RG: "Good afternoon Mrs Farnworth, my name's Brian ******** and I represent Wigan RL, grand player your lad, we've* followed his progress since he were a junior, very impressive. Do you think he'd me interested in coming home?"

MF: Erm, do you really represent Wigan, it's normally my sons agent who deals with these things.

RG: Oh aye, big cheese at Wigan me.

MF: Blocks RG.

I've just had a look on wikipedia, this "connection" with Wigan is that he played for St Pats ffs. He also apparently played for Newton Storm so obviously he has a connection with us and Warrington.

Banned

Apparently the podcast Purps and Bri is a hit with certain elements.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

...And Redvee?
    Are you now his Belgian connection?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Something along the lines of:

RG: "Good afternoon Mrs Farnworth, my name's Brian ******** and I represent Wigan RL, grand player your lad, we've* followed his progress since he were a junior, very impressive. Do you think he'd me interested in coming home?"

MF: Erm, do you really represent Wigan, it's normally my sons agent who deals with these things.

RG: Oh aye, big cheese at Wigan me.

MF: Blocks RG.

I've just had a look on wikipedia, this "connection" with Wigan is that he played for St Pats ffs. He also apparently played for Newton Storm so obviously he has a connection with us and Warrington.
    Warrington?

Newton is in St Helens.

(and dunnit p*ss the posher Newtonians off)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    ...And Redvee?
    Are you now his Belgian connection?
    Don't do that to me.