Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst 13

Got A Season Ticket

What about Dominic Fuenati? He's got to be a shoo-in for one of the wing positions?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Safe to say jack owens gets in everyones 13
    Safe to say i think he captains most peoples teams, worst player i have ever seen play for saints.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    What about Dominic Fuenati? He's got to be a shoo-in for one of the wing positions?
    Never. Smashing Wiganers on Good Friday makes him sound, for me.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    Fe’uanati wasnt a bad player, him not being at Saints long had more to do with an off field issue he had.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    It’s quite hard to do having grown up in the Super League era.

1. Jack Owens.
    2. Matty Dawson
    3. Ryan Morgan
    4. Damien Smith
    5. Jamie Foster
    6. Travis Burns
    7. Daryl Trindall
    8. Lama Tasi
    9. Tommy Lee
    10. Josh Perry
    11. Atelea Vea
    12. Joseph Paulo
    13. Stuart Howarth
    The frightening thing about this line-up is that quite a lot of them played in the same side. Grim times.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    The frightening thing about this line-up is that quite a lot of them played in the same side. Grim times.
    It was quite frightening how many were Cunningham signings. Barring maybe a 3-6 players, his signings on the whole were absolutely woeful.

Banned

Was he under orders to go cheap and stack high? I must say Dawson and Owens on the wings broke my heart. Owens though is a good rugby league player at a lower level, his skill level is good and his defence is OK. I remember Litherland and Parkes who in 1980/81 became regulars as we plummeted from a golden 25 year period into the semi abyss.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Was he under orders to go cheap and stack high? I must say Dawson and Owens on the wings broke my heart. Owens though is a good rugby league player at a lower level, his skill level is good and his defence is OK. I remember Litherland and Parkes who in 1980/81 became regulars as we plummeted from a golden 25 year period into the semi abyss.
    The irony was he tried to justify the recruitment policy at the time as necessary because if you chase one or two big names you end up with to use his phrase, ‘stocking fillers.’ It was ironical because that was essentially what we signed in terms of Dawson, Owens, Tasi and to a lesser extent Vea. Peyroux at that time was abysmal as well.

In The South Stand

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...-jack-10735127

Cunningham was a complete lunatic.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Was he under orders to go cheap and stack high?.
    Not sure about 'under orders', but I certainly suspect that the clubs focus and finances were aimed at the new stadium and sorting the 'snagging' fallout re cladding.
    We also seemed to be recruiting from within around that time, KC being a prime example.

I don't particularly like these 'worst of' questions. I know that some players are better than others, and some don't quite live up to our expectations or SL standards, but I think that we should all acknowledge that any player good enough to be paid for doing it must be a the top end of the sports participation pyramid.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    I remember going to watch Widnes with a friend. Cant remember who against, but I said to my mate "I reckon Jack will end up at Saints"

How we laugh about it now. But I seem to recall neither of us being happy he landed at Saints

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

1: Jack Owens
    2: Leon Felton
    3: Damien Smith
    4: Ryan Morgan
    5: Gray Viane
    6: Travis Burns
    7: Darrell Trindall
    8: Michael Smith
    9: Tommy Lee
    10: Lama Tasi
    11: Adam Walker
    12: Phil Adamson
    13: Joseph Paulo

Subs:
    Dean Busby
    Heath Cruickshank
    Josh Perry
    Barry Ward
    Ricky Bibey

I've not included our academy players, that for one reason or another it didn't work out for them. I've looked at players that we actually elected to bring to the club, that had the worse possible application of what ever ability they had.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    Forgot about Shannon McDonnell; another recruit as Cunningham tried to turn us into a Hull kR esque team.

Learning All The Songs

Been looking at Wikipedia for inspiration and went on Nathan Ashe’s page, someones done a decent job on there, part of it reads as:

Playing with flare and excitement, Nathan has earned much respect from his peers, although he did scoot on the last tackle against the Bradford Bulls and got Royce Simmons sacked.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Forgot about Shannon McDonnell; another recruit as Cunningham tried to turn us into a Hull kR esque team.
    Didnt he have two spells with us? I didn’t mind him. Not a world beater but fairly steady at the end of his career.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Didnt he have two spells with us? I didn’t mind him. Not a world beater but fairly steady at the end of his career.
    Yes but he was an average player and no more than that at a time we has signed too many average/mediocre/garbage players: Tasi, Vea, Lee, Owens, Burns, Dawson, Peyroux, Shannon, etc on top of Cunningham’s favourite floor finders like Richards and a clearly past it Wilkin. Sad times indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    And one of the centre spots must go to Damien Smith/Spliff

Think "way more rubbish than Ryan Morgan" and then make him even rubbisher.

I'd be happy with Michael O'Connor in the team, too. Top-rated Aussie centre/Winger and regular in the Kangaroos. People expected the same impact as Meninga had. O'Connor couldn't be arsed - and it showed.
    O'Connor was definitely a case of having the skill but zero will.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Gary Grienke needs a place he was absolute garbage.

The Horse Mark Bourneville, Paul Hampson, Tricky Trindall, Phil Adamson, Paul Jones and his minime Mark Bailey

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

There are a few players on here who were mediocre to middling; in other words far from bad players. Then there are those who were out of their depth, some of these players lasted a game or so but some managed a sustained run before being jettisoned and they are the players I've mainly focused on. As someone has already said, I'd reserve my criticism though for the players who had ability and wasted it / did'nt care. Michael O Connor a prime example. Its hard to ridicule a player if he is determined to succeed and put the effort in but was just short of ability in a team that is by rule of thumb challenging every year. Nonetheless with heavy heart here goes:

1. Michael O Connor
    2. Jack Owens
    3. Damien Smith
    4. Andy Haigh
    5. Dave Large
    6. Tommy Frodsham
    7. Darrell Trindall
    8. Pat Jarvis
    9. Tommy Lee
    10. Andy Dannatt
    11. Phil Adamson
    12. Bryan Henare
    13. Heath Cruickshank
    I played with Dave Large at amateur level and he was a freakish runner and a really good player.
    He was just a local lad who got a chance but like many others just didn't make the grade at top level.
    I always think it's harsh naming local lads in these circumstances. I think it's more about signings in , often high profile ones that really turn out to be duff.

There are a few players on here who were mediocre to middling; in other words far from bad players. Then there are those who were out of their depth, some of these players lasted a game or so but some managed a sustained run before being jettisoned and they are the players I've mainly focused on. As someone has already said, I'd reserve my criticism though for the players who had ability and wasted it / did'nt care. Michael O Connor a prime example. Its hard to ridicule a player if he is determined to succeed and put the effort in but was just short of ability in a team that is by rule of thumb challenging every year. Nonetheless with heavy heart here goes:

1. Michael O Connor
    2. Jack Owens
    3. Damien Smith
    4. Andy Haigh
    5. Dave Large
    6. Tommy Frodsham
    7. Darrell Trindall
    8. Pat Jarvis
    9. Tommy Lee
    10. Andy Dannatt
    11. Phil Adamson
    12. Bryan Henare
    13. Heath Cruickshank
    Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I played with Dave Large at amateur level and he was a freakish runner and a really good player.
    He was just a local lad who got a chance but like many others just didn't make the grade at top level.
    I always think it's harsh naming local lads in these circumstances. I think it's more about signings in , often high profile ones that really turn out to be duff.
    Surely Brimah Kebbie would be more deserving of that wing birth?!
    I reckon Dwayne West would have been in the running apart from a playing a part in a very famous try as well!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Gary Grienke needs a place he was absolute garbage.

The Horse Mark Bourneville, Paul Hampson, Tricky Trindall, Phil Adamson, Paul Jones and his minime Mark Bailey

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

We called him “Bring your boots Bailey” He always got a game.

Ey

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Watching old games on YouTube it’s surprising the amount of bit part players you completely forget about. Wayne McDonald, Gareth Price, Dave Whittle.
    When i think of the worst Mike Bennett always springs to mind. He’s definitely not the worst player we’ve ever had but at least we could chuckle at players like Barry Ward. I only ever have memories of chewing out Mike Bennett from the terraces for one reason or another. We would be in a tight game gaining some momentum and he’d knock on, or he just got in the way under the feet all the time. Or someone would put him through half a gap with 3 men open on his shoulder and you would be screaming ‘pass the f***ing ball Bennett!!’ Obviously he stuck hold and got tackled.
    He was bloody terrible.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

When i think about it the most regrettable signing has to be Josh Perry. If players got performance based wages that guy would still owe us money to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    When i think about it the most regrettable signing has to be Josh Perry. If players got performance based wages that guy would still owe us money to this day.
    He was incredibly poor. However, he did break his leg after her signed for us and often players are never the same.
    Luke Walsh pre and post leg break was a completely different player wasn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    He was incredibly poor. However, he did break his leg after her signed for us and often players are never the same.
    Luke Walsh pre and post leg break was a completely different player wasn't he?
    Yeh thats fair i suppose. I still feel he could have done more.